Feature request: "waiting for input" icons

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Mar 2, 2021 7:38 am
Keleth says:

1) Where to put such a feature where it would be easily visible and everyone could/would see it.
We already do have small green squares as an "on-line" indication on profile pics. What if there was the same thing, a colored square in some corner of the character's portrait, that one could choose the color of. Would it make things simpler?

SavageBob says:
When in doubt, post something
Wise and short! Neat!
Although as some have pointed out, using OOC chat is not the perfect solution.

Firstly, because humans are lazy. How long one can make new posts like "don't have anything to say"?
If one were to do it every time, even in a separate OOC forum, the number of messages would be colossal. It would be confusing too.

Secondly, the "deadlocks" I referred to are somewhat rare. So most of the time one would get away with not posting anything at all, someone else would post and move the narration forward. So apart from feeling lazy, it's hard to justify taking the time to make another post if the risk of "deadlocking" is small. People don't always fasten their seatbelts when it is literally about life and death, and we're talking a PbP game here.

Furthermore, some people are "perfectionists". I, for example, try to make my posts long, descriptive and fun to read, so making a short post about my character standing there doesn't satisfy me. It's a bad habit but sometimes I'd rather not do anything than settle for something plain and simple.

And finally, being annoying is a thing (just you look at me). I have plenty of time, and being on-line very frequently I have to restrict myself from posting too often to not break the game's pace and not annoy the players. An annoying character is one thing, an annoying player playing an annoying character is another :D So being anxious about being annoying might be something other people struggle with too.

Now the things I said in this post are not to be treated as things I need advice on, but as a passage on player's psychology. "When in doubt, post something" is a wise thing and I will try to use this principle as much as possible, but humans are humans with their natural flaws and the stuff I said here is not unique to me, it's just human psychology overall. Some people are always gonna be lazy, careless, self-critical anxious perfectionists and it's gonna prevent them from posting something. Saving a lazy butt's time and effort is saving some PbP game from dying. IMHO etc.

Too dramatic? Yup, most definitely. Obviously not a big deal, the site is awesome as it is and free on top of that, so this is in no way an attempt to portray such a feature as a necessity. I can (and will) find some workaround for myself and deal with the psychological weirdness of mine. This idea for me is just a small quality of life improvement of an insignificant priority. I just wanted to get into detail about why I think the idea is cool and summarise some things others have pointed out in this thread.
Chalrytharendir says:

Having said that, I want to reinforce that I am extremely happy with the site as it is and I do not require or expect any further development of tools since it is free and generously developed by Keleth in his personal time.
I agree with every word! Kudos to Keleth!
Mar 2, 2021 7:43 am
Chalrytharendir says:
other community members who donate their time and skills to contribute additional resources and tools, like Adam's Browser Extension.
Kudos to Adam and others too! Love the extension!~

You do not have permission to post in this thread.