Q&A on game and news characters

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 28, 2015 5:56 pm
This campaign is currently open. New characters can be uploaded. If you have questions on character concepts or such, ask them here. Likewise, character backgrounds or sceneraio back grounds.

I will start the campaign when we have three characters. I will allow up to three more to join in as we play.

grandmaster Jim
Keeper of the Journels
Jan 29, 2015 3:00 am
Utazó Véd, who is a Graceful Jack that Crafts Illusions. Still need to work on some background info once I get the sheet made up.

Still can't get the accented characters to work on the character sheets.
Last edited January 29, 2015 3:24 am
Jan 29, 2015 2:16 pm
Khoren Apraxin, the Rugged Nano who Wields Two Weapons at Once. I'll load a character sheet this evening.
Jan 29, 2015 10:23 pm
Osred, an Empathic Jack who Works Miracles.
Jan 30, 2015 1:17 am
Khoren has been uploaded, but made him a Mystical Nano who Wields Two Weapons at Once instead.
Jan 30, 2015 1:39 am
Short version of Utazó's background: Became familiar with the area along The Wyr River as a teenager while accompanying her father during his yearly fishing trips. Grew up in Yenth and now works for the Phyrel's Trading Company as a trail scout who is sent up ahead of the caravan several times a day to look for any signs of trouble.

Working on a more detailed version of that story, but just wanted to run the premise by everyone to see if it'll work out.
Jan 30, 2015 3:29 am
szemely says:
Short version of Utazó's background: Became familiar with the area along The Wyr River as a teenager while accompanying her father during his yearly fishing trips. Grew up in Yenth and now works for the Phyrel's Trading Company as a trail scout who is sent up ahead of the caravan several times a day to look for any signs of trouble.

Working on a more detailed version of that story, but just wanted to run the premise by everyone to see if it'll work out.
That works great with the intro. Anyone else want to add some background?

I will "roll" up ciphers tomorrow morning and we will get started.
Jan 30, 2015 2:32 pm
Khoren Apraxin was raised in the City of Boreg, at the junction of the Wyr and Septim rivers. A strange child, he found that other children often instinctively avoided him, at least until they grew to know him. As he grew, he learned to play up to his 'strangeness' and adopted a persona of a prophet or mystic. In Boreg, there were always new people to meet and to perfect his routine on.

As a young teenager, some talents began to manifest in him which he used to enhance his life and his aura of mystery. He began to associate with a rougher and more dangerous folk, travelers who were in Boreg on the way to somewhere else. He loosely attached himself to a gang of disreputable Jaekel ruffians who had fled Aras Island in search of adventure, and learned to use their forearm blades to blend himself in and share in their aura of danger.

In the last year, having reached adulthood, Khoren began to see strange insects hovering in the air above certain people, or stopped all-in-a-line and facing someone. Having convinced himself fully that he was a mystic, he paid attention to the insects, made some minor pronouncements for small coin, and the found himself joining Phyrel's Trading Company where he could work as a teamster and guard.

For the past few weeks, the insect signs have grown agitated and confused. While Khoren doesn't know what might happen, he is excited to be in the middle of something so strange.
Jan 30, 2015 3:20 pm
Osred's background so far: He was born into a wandering merchant family, and after learning the trade he decided to strike out on his own. Due to his knack for healing he specialized in medicinal plants, buying and selling specimens and the secrets to grow them between claves. After stepping on some noble's toes (and an assassination attempt), he fled the region. The position of physician in the Phyrel's Trading Company was the perfect way discover potential trading partners.

I surmised the story, but that's the essence. Are we going to use the initial links to the adventure and connections as well?
Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm
good job guys....let's get started. For anyone new who wants to join in, please do. I will cap it at six (which means as of this writing,mothers are three open slots). Fill one, create a character and depending one where we are, I might give you some hints to a back ground or you might write up something here that makes you fit in.
Jan 30, 2015 6:52 pm
This will be my first go as a PC in like 30 years, so if I do anything out of line or that steps on anyone else toes feel free to virtually smack me around a bit.
Jan 30, 2015 8:11 pm
Tis okay.....I've GMed for 10 years at GenCon and locally. More so now that I GM Numenera...but this is my first attempt to do so through the web. So, if I miss something, let me know.
Jan 30, 2015 8:15 pm
Ok, dumb question. How do I embed rolls into my posts?
Jan 30, 2015 8:22 pm
For example, you are supposed to roll the dice..... Do you as players have that option to add that to you post? I see how to add it to mine, but is it the same?

In this case, the question "what were those?" Would have prompted an intellect check. How would you like to reduce the level, apply effort, use skills or training, aid another, use asset, etc? I envision me asking you for a roll like I did and you responding with something like, "I applied effort and used this asset...my roll was a 12".

Does that work, or do you need more?
Jan 30, 2015 8:24 pm
KNaranek says:
Osred's background so far: He was born into a wandering merchant family, and after learning the trade he decided to strike out on his own. Due to his knack for healing he specialized in medicinal plants, buying and selling specimens and the secrets to grow them between claves. After stepping on some noble's toes (and an assassination attempt), he fled the region. The position of physician in the Phyrel's Trading Company was the perfect way discover potential trading partners.

I surmised the story, but that's the essence. Are we going to use the initial links to the adventure and connections as well?
I think the "." In your name is messing up the quote. When I quote, it does not render if I don't take it out.
Jan 30, 2015 8:32 pm
grandmaster says:
For example, you are supposed to roll the dice..... Do you as players have that option to add that to you post? I see how to add it to mine, but is it the same?
That's the part that I was wondering about. I don't appear to have any sort of option to add a roll. Here's a shot of the screen. Am I missing something here.

Thanks!

http://www.fwgc.net/downloads/post.png
Jan 30, 2015 9:09 pm
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
That's the part that I was wondering about. I don't appear to have any sort of option to add a roll. Here's a shot of the screen. Am I missing something here.

Thanks!

Yes, there should not be a deck there, but a section for dice. I have both. Let me see if I can find something in settings.

Otherwise, if I cant, I will let you know and you can use a real die on your end or a random die from several sites and I will have to trust you. ;)

will have to check on my PC, see if there is a difference from my tablet.
Jan 31, 2015 1:23 pm
grandmaster says:
szemely says:
grandmaster says:

Thanks!

Yes, there should not be a deck there, but a section for dice. I have both. Let me see if I can find something in settings.

Otherwise, if I cant, I will let you know and you can use a real die on your end or a random die from several sites and I will have to trust you. ;)

will have to check on my PC, see if there is a difference from my tablet.
Asked in the forums, and answered. Dice roles should be at the bottom on your posts now.
Jan 31, 2015 2:06 pm
Yep, appears to be working now. Thanks!
Feb 2, 2015 2:31 am
Offline Q: Where are the players from?

The GM is from Tampa, FL
Feb 2, 2015 2:39 am
Northern Indiana. Spent most of my day shoveling snow.

This site is blocked from work, so on most weekdays I won't be able to post anything until after 6PM Eastern Time.
Feb 2, 2015 4:30 am
szemely says:
Northern Indiana. Spent most of my day shoveling snow.

This site is blocked from work, so on most weekdays I won't be able to post anything until after 6PM Eastern Time.
really? Kokomo, south bend, ft Wayne?
Feb 2, 2015 11:41 am
Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Feb 2, 2015 8:44 pm
I'm from Alberta, Canada.
Feb 2, 2015 9:33 pm
grandmaster says:
[quote="szemely"]really? Kokomo, south bend, ft Wayne?
Fort Wayne-ish...
Feb 2, 2015 10:14 pm
Qralloq says:
My sister is trying to move there. We love the country, and things here are awful.
Feb 3, 2015 1:18 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
[quote="szemely"]really? Kokomo, south bend, ft Wayne?
Fort Wayne-ish...
Lived in Indiana (central) for thirty years
Feb 3, 2015 1:30 am
grandmaster says:
We've been here about twenty or so and it's been pretty good to us. Ever go back to visit?
Feb 3, 2015 7:17 pm
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
We've been here about twenty or so and it's been pretty good to us. Ever go back to visit?
Every year, for GenCon....sometimes more.
Feb 5, 2015 12:07 am
Naranek says:
Qralloq says:
My sister is trying to move there. We love the country, and things here are awful.
Talk about a climate change. :-)
Last edited February 5, 2015 12:08 am
Feb 5, 2015 1:06 am
I'm from Santa Fe New Mexico, I'm still a student.

I have a question for everyone here. What would you all think of a set game time on the weekends (or whenever)? I mean a time where we all set 2 hours or so aside and play as if this was in real time, so we would see posts from each other by the minute instead of by the hour. I realize that we all have obligations, but I think the game would be much more enjoyable if it was (almost) real time, even if only for a bit on the weekends.

What do you all think? Thanks, and if interested please post your free time so we can all come up with a time slot that fits everybody!

For me: I have school monday-thursday 8-5, and may be busy before 1:30 PM Friday, but other than that I'm free. Mountain Time
Last edited February 5, 2015 5:26 am
Feb 6, 2015 3:26 am
Oh, I haven't been reading this thread. I'm from Manchester, England but actually live in Tampa Florida, like the Grandmaster. Kai, not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I can commit to a regular time every weekend. Might be possible, but I like to keep my weekends flexible.
Feb 6, 2015 8:50 pm
I look forward to playing with you all. Double entrendre included at no extra cost. ;)
Feb 7, 2015 9:48 pm
I know, I am the GM, but I am also a player in this game, just like you all (and thankful that you are enjoying it enough to come back for more each day).

The question has been brought up as to having a "real time" session. I like the idea and please don't think that I don't. I joined this site and I made this game with the idea that I would be able to post 2, maybe three times a week. I have work, other games and a life. So, that was all I wanted to commit to.

I look at this site and I see "Post and Play". This type of gaming is what we used to do in the old BBS days (before the internet) when we only had a phone line hooked to our computer and the host computer, if we were lucky, had 2 or 4. If not, we were stuck having to redial over and over again until the host system was not busy. Then once connected, we would have 30 minutes or so to read everything that went on and post a reply with our actions. It was not fast, and we still played DnD off line, but it was what we had. I hate to say it, but this site right here, it brings back memories of the BBS days.

I also knew that this had the possibility of being diverse and it is. We have people from Brazil, Canada and across the US. The majority are in Florida (3 of us) and that puts us in the eastern time zone (GMT -5), add a forth in northern Indiana who is also in the Eastern time zone and that makes 4. Brazil is GMT -2, Alberta, CA and Santa Fe NM are in Mountain Std (GMT -7).

That being said, when it is 7 pm for me and three others locally, it is 5 pm for two of the players west of us and 10 pm for the person in Brazil. It wound not be an easy task.
Feb 7, 2015 9:51 pm
One thing.... please feel free to PM me or IM me on Facebook if I (a) skip over an action you made, (b) have an you do not want the others to see or know about, or (c) have a suggestion that you would to add to the story.
Feb 9, 2015 6:51 pm
I will be changing the way I do "Round" reports. I will continue the bottom section, showing which creatures are hit (stunned, etc) and their total damage, but I will be removing the total HP. This will help keep me honest (not miss a hit or an effort), but still keep some of the mystery.

Hope you all are having fun,

Grandmaster
Feb 9, 2015 7:29 pm
Sounds good, grandmaster. I've been enjoying this tale, for sure, and I'm learning tons about Numenera. One of my main goals was to feel out the Cypher system with a mind for running a "The Strange" campaign for my RL troupe.
Feb 9, 2015 7:32 pm
I am trying to get enuff shins for The Strange. I am also trying to get a pre-release of the cypher system (getting it from the KS already)... Even offered to sign an NDA. I want to see the system in a super hero, or toon setting.
Feb 9, 2015 10:09 pm
I'm having a blast. Like I mentioned before, this is my first go as a PC in ANY type of RPG in like 30 years. You're making my RPG comeback a memorable experience.
Feb 9, 2015 11:04 pm
My first time playing Numenera.. and I'm enjoying it. :)
Feb 10, 2015 1:37 am
Its been great doing this for me as well, as this is pretty much my first serious tabletop RPG gaming experience, and this way I probably avoid coming off too zealous about stuff. Thanks everyone for keeping it real !
Feb 12, 2015 2:38 am
FYI, Tara is down for a bit...a day, maybe two
Feb 15, 2015 6:14 am
[Sorry guys, was out of communique for a while, just caught up on reading].
Feb 16, 2015 12:59 am
I take it we've lost Osred? Hope everything's alright....
Feb 16, 2015 2:38 am
szemely says:
I take it we've lost Osred? Hope everything's alright....
He sent me a PM last week and told me he had to drop the game.....I've been waiting for him to say his own goodbye as he indicated he wanted to. Between that and Tara's absence and a busy weekend, I apologize for the games getting a bit slow the week(end) and it will pick back up. :)
Feb 16, 2015 2:42 am
Sorry he had to bail, seemed like a good guy.

No worries on the wait, I think we're moving along pretty good for a PbP game.
Feb 16, 2015 2:44 am
szemely says:
Sorry he had to bail, seemed like a good guy.

No worries on the wait, I think we're moving along pretty good for a PbP game.
Me too. I told him he is welcome to come back when things settle down.
Feb 16, 2015 2:54 am
That's too bad. As you can tell from my last post, I wasn't sure if he was adjourning from the game, or just being eaten by a telepathic Wizen, haha.
Feb 16, 2015 9:02 pm
And the answer to that Qralloq depends on if he is able to rejoin the game or not. ;) hehe
Feb 26, 2015 4:33 am
5 more posts to 500...
Feb 26, 2015 5:06 pm
Congrats to GrantUrDeath for the 500th post. You get 10XP from the Aeon Priests, who take 9 out in taxes (it would have been 8, but they closed a loophole last season).
Feb 27, 2015 4:10 am
Hi all, am recruiting players for my game Guardians of Gurrai! Just read the description and it's forums if you are interested. The only requirement is 3 posts a day and a commitment to keep it real and invest in the story.
Apr 18, 2015 2:43 pm
I'll be out most of this weekend, so feel free to play "What would Utazó do?" if I'm holding something up.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.