https://i.imgur.com/1KJqA1m.png
Last edited March 10, 2021 8:15 pm
Mar 10, 2021 8:26 pm
It is if everyone is having fun :>
Mar 10, 2021 8:36 pm
DragonDweller62 says:
It is if everyone is having fun :>
Totally agree.

Just not what I, or... literally anyone I've ever gamed with, wanted from a D&D experience.

I also might add that it seems like that's not what skeptical_stun, whom I was responding to, wants either, because if they did they wouldn't stress about players abandoning the story or not being able to be prepared for anything that the players want to do.
Last edited March 10, 2021 9:08 pm
Mar 11, 2021 12:03 am
Let's bring the discussion back to the topic at hand.

Len

Mar 11, 2021 6:29 am
I'd like to give a shoutout to the Wildemount setting. I don't watch Critical Role so I don't know how that setting plays out in Matt Mercer's game, but the book is a great example of how I think a setting book should be written. The locations are evocative and the central conflict of the setting is compelling and I can see how stories will spiral into it. But most of all, I love all the adventure hooks!

Every described place has adventure hooks, so there are a hundred or more (didn't do an exact count). They are given a rating for tier 1-4 parties, and 2-3 paragraphs of juicy adventure bait. There is a lot of originality in these hooks, and although they are customized to the setting, Wildemount is close enough to other kitchen sink settings that I can imagine any DM filing off the serial numbers and sticking these adventure hooks in any number of D&D settings.

When you read through, the focus on adventure hooks really makes you see the adventuring potential of the setting. Your mind comes alive with images of what your game will be like when you are playing in this setting.
Mar 11, 2021 8:36 am
Len says:
I'd like to give a shoutout to the Wildemount setting. I don't watch Critical Role so I don't know how that setting plays out in Matt Mercer's game, but the book is a great example of how I think a setting book should be written. The locations are evocative and the central conflict of the setting is compelling and I can see how stories will spiral into it. But most of all, I love all the adventure hooks!

Every described place has adventure hooks, so there are a hundred or more (didn't do an exact count). They are given a rating for tier 1-4 parties, and 2-3 paragraphs of juicy adventure bait. There is a lot of originality in these hooks, and although they are customized to the setting, Wildemount is close enough to other kitchen sink settings that I can imagine any DM filing off the serial numbers and sticking these adventure hooks in any number of D&D settings.

When you read through, the focus on adventure hooks really makes you see the adventuring potential of the setting. Your mind comes alive with images of what your game will be like when you are playing in this setting.
I also like what I have read from the Wildemount setting, but the setting is still so new (and for my unplayed), that I would not call it favorite

Len

Mar 11, 2021 5:19 pm
That's true, I wouldn't call it a favorite setting. I guess I was thinking about what makes a setting appealing for me.

Okay, I wrote a whole lot of text that basically says "I like a setting that supports sandbox play by putting adventure hooks front-and-center and have core tensions that only the player characters can resolve." Eberron, Ptolus and Darksun all fit that bill (my stated favorites).

I've left these words here in case you want to watch me spiral into this realization.
[ +- ] Words Spiralling Toward Realization
Mar 11, 2021 6:39 pm
Netheril is awesome. Currently using it's lore heavily in my current, IRL 5E campaign.

Next stop for the PCs, leaving from Silverymoon, is the ruins of Karse in fact!

Len, you seemed pretty knowledgeable about Theros. Ones of the things that interested me most admit that setting was that it sounded like it can with some new Big Bad/boss battle mechanics...

Is that an accurate characterization, and if so, how are they/what do they bring?
Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm
I really like the Ravenloft and Dark Sun settings, but if I were to run them I'd adapt them to a more modern system like Genesys.
Mar 12, 2021 1:56 am
Big winner for me, by far, is Dark Sun !!!

But I have also played and loved Ravenloft, Birthright, Red Steel, Forgotten Realms, Al-Quadim, Eberron, Planescape and Spelljammer.
Mar 12, 2021 2:39 am
I am surprised no one has mentioned Dragonlance.
Mar 12, 2021 2:45 am
I love Dragonlance as a world but I won’t play it until I finish the books.
Mar 12, 2021 2:57 am
DragonDweller62 says:
I love Dragonlance as a world but I won’t play it until I finish the books.
There's like 200. And Weiss and Hickman have been recently contracted to write more.
Mar 12, 2021 2:58 am
(Simply my opinion...) Dragonlance is a marvelous setting... for novels... It's sadly one the rare settings I have not like playing in... (But that may also be due to the Dm at the time...)

Len

Mar 12, 2021 6:01 am
emsquared says:
Ones of the things that interested me most admit that setting was that it sounded like it can with some new Big Bad/boss battle mechanics... Is that an accurate characterization, and if so, how are they/what do they bring?
It was kinda overhyped. They only show 3 "mythic" monsters and don't offer any guidelines or rules on how to make your own. Mind you, it's pretty typical stuff straight out of video games, so it's not hard to reverse engineer it. For example, when you reduce a mythic creature to 0 hp they recharge to full and gain new abilities, but you reveal a weakness that lets you defeat them once and for all. It's good, I like it, I might use it. But, there isn't enough content there to justify buying the whole book. You could come up with this yourself (you may already have).
Mar 12, 2021 6:05 am
I mentioned Dragonlance a whiles back, but only like it as novel and game I have seen of it wants to just follow the novel too.
Mar 12, 2021 3:31 pm
Carabas says:
I really like the Ravenloft and Dark Sun settings, but if I were to run them I'd adapt them to a more modern system like Genesys.
Dark Sun Genesys sounds great...
Len says:
It was kinda overhyped. They only show 3 "mythic" monsters and don't offer any guidelines or rules on how to make your own. Mind you, it's pretty typical stuff straight out of video games, so it's not hard to reverse engineer it. For example, when you reduce a mythic creature to 0 hp they recharge to full and gain new abilities, but you reveal a weakness that lets you defeat them once and for all. It's good, I like it, I might use it. But, there isn't enough content there to justify buying the whole book. You could come up with this yourself (you may already have).
That's too bad. That sounded like the biggest selling point for me.
Mar 13, 2021 8:13 pm
I prefer homebrew settings - my favourite are grimdark and not too fantastical. I quite like Greyhawk and have played in some games in Faerun.
I am playing a game over Foundry and Zoom in Ebarron, which is quite fun.

Also Honourable mention for Adventures in Middle Earth, as a fully paid up Tolkien geek I love the way the 5e rules have been customised to fit the setting.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.