Blue Planet Anyone?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Who has heard of Blue Planet and is anyone interested in running it? A game over a year ago was started here and the GM ghosted. It is such an evocative setting which I really enjoyed and would love to play it again.

There is a quickstart available at DriveThruRPG at a suggested price of $5 US.
Mar 12, 2021 6:41 pm
Here's a description from King_Moloch when he started a game in 2019:
King_Moloch says:
https://i.postimg.cc/9Fzk573Q/14-CA4587-78-C9-4603-9730-6-C99-AB10878-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SKc51FBL/46-FBF645-32-CC-4-E1-B-B59-A-63-A0-A362-D0-C9.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/XJ8P3K7p/6-F6-EA756-7008-450-E-ADFB-8083-B8242935.jpg

Blue Planet 2nd Edition is a science fiction RPG that could be described as "ocean punk" or "water punk." It was originally created by Biohazard Games, with the second edition published by Fantasy Flight. It uses the Synergy Game System, which is a d10-based "roll under" system. The game’s claim to fame is that it was written by actual marine biologists, so the world building and creatures are said to be very scientifically realistic. The RPG has strong environmentalist themes combined with elements of the cyberpunk and western genres. Hoping to find 1 or 2 more players for the game.

The premise is as follows: In the future, the human race has irreparably damaged the planet. Uncountable plant and animal species have gone extinct. Earth is in bad shape, but humanity gets a second chance. A wormhole is discovered beyond the edge of the solar system. Expeditions find that the wormhole leads to another star system 35 light years away. The second planet of the system is covered with a single vast ocean and is suitable for human life. The planet is dubbed Poseidon. One major colony ship is sent to study the planet and prepare it for large scale colonization.

Unfortunately, shortly after the colony ship leaves, disaster strikes Earth in the form of a seventy-year long worldwide famine. Wars break out and civilization nearly collapses. In the wake of failing world governments, numerous Incorporate States rise to power (read: mega corporations). The UN creates a new international institution with unprecedented levels of authority, the Global Ecology Organization (GEO), to fight the famine and help rebuild Earth’s economies. In the midst of this turmoil, the colonists on Poseidon are completely abandoned and forgotten for nearly a century.

GEO and the Incorporate States eventually make recontact with Poseidon, only to discover that the colonists had gone "native," abandoning their run-down technology for a simple, tribal life as fisherfolk. When the discovery of a "xenosilicate" ore revolutionizes genetic engineering, a gold rush begins, bringing new settlers, greed, and Incorporate warfare to the planet. Pollution and thoughtless mining of Poseidon’s oceans are threatening to destabilize the planet’s ecology. Some natives start ecoterrorist groups to protect their oceans from being despoiled, while the GEO tries to maintain law and order with cybernetic soldiers. Intelligent dolphin and orca "uplifts," as well as various genetically-enhanced transhumans, have relocated to Poseidon to live a life free from the prejudice they experienced on Earth. And through it all are the stories and urban legends that another sapient species, an alien race, inhabits the deepest parts of the oceans...

The year is now 2199. Maybe you’re a settler who has come to make a new life for himself on Poseidon. Maybe you’re a xenosilicate miner hoping to strike it rich in the new frontier. Maybe you’re a native insurgent who is fighting against the exploitation of his home. Maybe you’re a uplifted cetacean seeking freedom from the shackles of humanity. Maybe you’re a corporate agent tasked with reaping the potential profits of this new world. Maybe you’re a GEO Marshall trying to keep it all from falling apart.

Blue Planet is a sandbox... a sandbox filled with water.

https://i.postimg.cc/zfY2g2yy/8-C08-CBDA-E396-4-C69-9-E8-E-1658-F3-E4-A353.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bYm5BRB5/C74-C2414-99-E1-45-A3-A4-FB-5-A50-A9-B53930.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/x8pFN0mQ/67624229-4983-44-F3-B6-BE-6-D4486-B3-F6-A4.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sfHncgBd/6-F5-C6-A79-9872-411-C-B6-D2-AE3-D87785-E7-B.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SxMtjbx0/4-FA57-AA4-77-CF-4-DDB-B1-F8-E205-E7-D51-CF5.jpg
Mar 12, 2021 7:01 pm
I remember that game.
Mar 12, 2021 7:29 pm
Yeah, that's one of the fake games advertised by the serial ghost GM, he of the infinite sockpuppets.
Mar 12, 2021 7:33 pm
We played the game for quite some time before he ghosted.
Mar 12, 2021 7:39 pm
Like I said, it's one of many sockpuppets. There are ties between that account and others that similarly ghosted.
Mar 13, 2021 12:20 am
I've heard of it and it does look interesting!
Mar 13, 2021 3:10 am
Hmm I don't know about that Moonbeam, since I was in two of King Moloch's games, and the first one ran pretty long, enough to complete a first chapter, but I could tell he was struggling to keep up when we were halfway through the second.

The second of those games was the Blue Planet one. We got off to a good and reasonably lengthy start, but he faded off after that. So that doesn't seem to fit the GM ghost pattern we've all noticed.
Last edited March 13, 2021 3:11 am
Mar 13, 2021 3:42 am
I PMed you on Discord to discuss. :)
Mar 13, 2021 8:29 am
BedzoneII says:
Hmm I don't know about that Moonbeam, since I was in two of King Moloch's games, and the first one ran pretty long, enough to complete a first chapter, but I could tell he was struggling to keep up when we were halfway through the second.

The second of those games was the Blue Planet one. We got off to a good and reasonably lengthy start, but he faded off after that. So that doesn't seem to fit the GM ghost pattern we've all noticed.
I had king in another game as well. I agree with Bedzone.
King put in the effort, but then the logins got further and further between
Mar 13, 2021 6:18 pm
I think this interesting setting exists also for Savage Worlds (and GURPS, if I'm not mistaken). I would be more interested in trying it in one of those rule-sets, personally (rather than learning a game-specific system).
Mar 13, 2021 7:09 pm
Thanks Dr_B. I'll take a look.
Mar 13, 2021 8:53 pm
I was sorely tempted by the excellent King_Moloch's pitch two years ago, and rapped my own knuckles for not volunteering at the time. He was an amazing GM: his world-building in the Aberrant campaign he ran was top notch, and those adventure(s) we played evocative and well-run. I hope he finds his way back to us.

In the spirit of King_Moloch, I volunteer as (GM) tribute. I've read over the Quickstart material. I think the system is simple enough and will work well with the peculiarities of pbp - primarily, for me that means straightforward, consistent mmechanic, and no back and forth negotiating over dice rolls.

The free (PWYW) Quickstart is a preview of their Kickstarter to be launched April 6, 2021. As such the third edition, full rules are not yet available. However, the QS does have a lot of material. Just not character creation - instead, 4 pregens have been provided.
RED SKY CHARTERS
Anything, anywhere, anytime—Red Sky Charters’ unofficial motto

RSC is a small charter and transport service crewed by the PCs. It’s founder—the uncle of one of the pregenerated characters in this primer—was lost at sea along with the company’s new, but uninsured, aircraft. Now in deep financial straits, and despite their limited experience, the characters are trying to keep the company afloat—literally. To make ends meet, they’re forced to take most any job that comes along; each more dubious than the last.

THE FOLLOWING PLAYABLE CHARACTERS ARE FOUND AT THE END OF THE QUICKSTART.
[ +- ] Drew
[ +- ] Fishboy
[ +- ] Dancer
[ +- ] Maggie

The game plot will involve a homebrew adventure involving sentient dolphin rescue.

I presume the original poster will play, which means that there are three openings for players. Regardless of ghosting players, the game will proceed to completion of the scenario.

My plan is to launch next week sometime at the earliest.

Please post here if you're interested, or PM me here or on Discord if you have any questions.
Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm
Of course I am interested. xD. I'd like to play Maggie.
Mar 16, 2021 1:18 pm
Who doesn't love dolphins?
Mar 17, 2021 1:27 am
Popping in again to say I had a whale of a time playing an Orca in that game.

And Qralloq I am definitely trying to restart an Aberrant game sometime somehow.
Last edited March 17, 2021 1:28 am
Mar 17, 2021 1:52 am
Woot for Aberrant
Mar 17, 2021 1:54 am
Played Aberrant one time or two I think.
Mar 17, 2021 1:55 am
It's all watery goodness. Interested.
Mar 17, 2021 2:43 am
I was enjoying the Aberrant game before it died.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.