I.C. - Adventurer Conqueror King hexcrawler

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 19, 2021 2:24 pm
Hello Everyone!

Who would be interested in:
- Learning to play Adventurer Conqueror King: Legally Sourced Free Rules Here
- Playing it in with fairly minimal pre-planned story and with most dungeons drag-and-dropped from other, compatible, modules (bonus: you guys could vote on which dungeons/modules you want to try out!).
- Willing to work with the Judge (GM/DM/Jab Burrwalky) to figure out the best way to track the more tedious bits of domain rulership and etc.
- Willing to potentially* help the Judge(DM), with some minor system-hacking/conversion work here and there.
- having your first (and probably second(and maybe third)) characters perma-die but it's kind of o.k. because you probably banked a TON of gold into your reserve XP bank. (You did do that, right?)
- Be willing to type in your best Al-Pacino-With-Cotton-Balls-In-His-Cheeks voice if you go the thief-to-crime-boss route. (Joking. Mostly.)

*Only if we decide to run an adventure/dungeon from a system I'm not familiar with, like D&D3.5/PF1e or D&D4e.

Reason for this interest check:
I have recently begun running a game of Adventurer Conqueror King for some friends and so far its pretty cool. Its an Old School Renaissance D&D/Labyrinth Lord derivative specifically designed to take players from lower level adventurers to mid-level conquerors/settlers, to high level kings, archmages, crime syndicate "godfathers", and warlords, eventually evolving into a kingdom-building wargame with adventuring mixed in. It also has a nice "feel" to it, I think.

I would be trying to do minimal prep-work (because I don't have the time for more than that), so any plot would be thin and largely player driven, but that's what the system is built for anyway!
Mar 19, 2021 4:57 pm
Okay interested as it sounds interesting but the -- Cotton-Balls-In-His-Cheeks was Marlon Brando ;)
Last edited March 19, 2021 4:57 pm
Mar 19, 2021 5:08 pm
DeJoker says:
Okay interested as it sounds interesting but the -- Cotton-Balls-In-His-Cheeks was Marlon Brando ;)
You are correct. And what's more, I should know that by now, as I make the same mistake every time I reference the film.
Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pm
So, two players isn't ideal but it is doable. We can always bring more people in. Work is getting busy for the next couple of weeks, but once it calms back down I'll get a game organized. Any particular setting flavor either of you prefer?
Mar 22, 2021 2:19 pm
I’m sure they’ll start flocking in soon.

I’m down for any setting/genre. My druthers would be low fantasy. Maybe like Conan or Goblin Slayer or Grimgar. Not very grim and gritty but not campy either. Serious without being depressing.
Last edited March 22, 2021 2:19 pm
Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm
Well since this is a sort of a mash up of various versions of DnD with some extra stuff for advancing into kingdom building I would think the basic setting would work the best all-things-considered.

What if we just use their setting The Auran Empire (I am assuming since they provide a map of it that it is a setting).
Mar 22, 2021 5:20 pm
It is a setting. Its a mediterranean area with a lot of Conan-esque elements to it. Should scratch Aegis' itch nicely.
Mar 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Yeah. That would be good for me.
Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm
If we do this, which I would like to, would you guys want to start at level 1 to learn the system more incrementally, or start at level 3 to skip the apprentice/intro levels a bit since (I assume) we're all familiar with the basics of D&D systems?
Mar 29, 2021 2:00 pm
I would be down for level one. I am familiar with D&D, but one thing i like about the system is the zero to hero aspect build in. But I will happily defer to the group.
Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm
Either is fine with me but unless those intro levels are going to be interesting and have substance that carries into the higher levels then skipping them would be better. I say that because one can do a lot with the low level stuff that segues into the higher level stuff but not everyone does that.
Mar 29, 2021 3:04 pm
Ok. Well, I think we'll start with Capitol on the Borderlands, its a nice Sandbox starter for the Auran Empire Setting. Feel free to invite anyone else. I could handle about 5 or 6 players, I think.

We'll start out at level 1, as the need for supplies will have an impact on which people in the city and surrounding you develop contacts with etc. So it will have some meaningful purpose.
Last edited March 29, 2021 3:05 pm
Mar 29, 2021 3:19 pm
Great can you provide a link here once you have set up the game and put out the invites. Thanks in advance
Mar 29, 2021 6:23 pm
I have some game space, I think. And while I'm not super connected with the rules of ADK, lots of D&D experience, starting in 2e, but nothing in ADK.
Mar 29, 2021 6:29 pm
There are a few differences in class/race and combat mechanics, but otherwise it's not fundamentally different from older D&D. The core rules are open-license as well, at the link in the original post. I'll make sure to send you an invite once I get it set up.
Apr 4, 2021 7:31 am
Is there still room? Huge fan of ACKS.
Apr 5, 2021 4:37 am
I'm also interested to know if there's still room. I bought ACKS way back when, but convincing my pals to give it a whirl over 5e has been dauntingly unsuccessful. Would love an opportunity to at least blow off the dust covering it and take a crack at playing it, if you can take another.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.