RPer Looking to Try/Learn D&D 5E

Apr 13, 2021 2:07 am
Hello, Sirs and Ma'ams!

As the title says, I've had a good number of years of experience playing RPGs, primarily D&D, and even then primarily 3.5.

I've been stubborn but content with my 3.5 but I've recently come to realize that it's time to move along and get on the bandwagon. So, I want to give 5E a try but I'll need someone who is patient and understanding. Eventually, I'll want to start DMing 5E games, but I can't learn to build a car until I've figured out how to drive one.

If anyone is looking for 5E players, is open to someone who gets the game but doesn't know the rules and is willing to teach, please drop me a line.

Thanks in advance!!

-Dem
Apr 13, 2021 3:45 am
Welcome Demagor. Someone in my house might own a tshirt that says "3.5 TIL I DIE". Not naming any names though. I sure you'll find 5e to be easy to pick up.
Apr 13, 2021 3:59 am
Several GMs have picked up that torch and have lit the way for many to follow. I am sure all are helpful but I have to give a shout out to Adam. I know, personally, how he communicates the rules in a clear and concise manner. If you have a chance to join one of his beginning games, you will get a step by step tutorial with him answering a plethora of questions.

Good luck!

Len

Apr 13, 2021 4:14 am
Welcome Demagor from the moderator team! Here is a link to the forum rules. If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

CancerMan
Len
Naatkinson
Keleth (site owner)

I am running a 5e game for beginners but unfortunately we are full up. But, these games do launch periodically so watch the Gamers Tavern forum for new 5e games that are beginner-friendly. I'll second CherokeeWind's recommendation for Adam's game.

Thanks, and happy gaming!

Edit: oops, I mistook this for an introduction post, sorry!
Apr 13, 2021 4:50 am
This is super unrelated, but this thread's replies confused me something fierce, because I was pretty sure I've seen Demagor's avatar before and they're not a new GP member. But you all made me check. XD

Anyway, good luck with finding the game! :D
Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am
Well, @FlyingSucculent is correct; I'm not new to GP- I've been around for a year or so, but mostly focusing on 3.5, I haven't seen much activity, not surprisingly. As flawed as it is, I've always found that ruleset to be the most comfortable and the most logical (to me, at least). While I've found some issues and discrepancies with 5E that I don't like (certain things going in directions I don't think they should go), it's still a matter of keeping up with progress or getting left behind badly. The last video-rental store in the United States recently closed. I can't hold on to this VHS tape forever. I need to move on.

I'll keep an eye out for such games, @Len. Thanks for letter me know. If yours opens up or if you ever decide to start up a new one, I'd love a shot at it.

Lastly, got a spare shirt, @Qralloq?
Apr 14, 2021 12:14 pm
Pathfinder still seems pretty popular which is just an improved version of 3.5
The real problem is heavy combat games arent as easily adapted to PbP games. It works best with rules lite, theater of the mind style game systems.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.