Introductory Video for Prospective Users

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 5, 2021 4:07 am
I was talking to Runekyndg last week before our interview and we stumbled upon an idea. Based upon an observation that many (most) registered users have never made a single post, yet they were obviously interested enough to initially register, there must be something that they're expecting but not finding. What if there was a quick way to show them what to expect?

I want to do an intro video now that Keleth might find suitable to put on the front page (if you're not logged in). Basically three to five minutes on what to expect when you create an account.

So I hashed out a draft video and solicited some feedback. The public forums here aren't great for extended dialogs on multiple related subjects, so I whipped up a quick free public forum.

Dialog for an Introductory Video

[ +- ] Proposed Spoken Dialog (Modified from above video)
The video is my first draft at the process. The proposed dialog is there, too. I'd like solicit feedback to make this the best explanatory video we can about what it is we do. That way, people that join know what to expect and aren't burnt by confusion or the seeming complexity.

All comments are welcome.
Last edited June 5, 2021 11:01 am
Jun 5, 2021 3:22 pm
I think the objective is nice and tight - bite sized is good. Although it might be worth splitting it into two.
* Video 1 - This is what PbP is about (it’s asynchronous, what a post looks like, ooc banter about *whatever*)
* Video 2 - looks good? Okay, here joining and getting a game.

I’d move the bit about introductions up. It seems to be one of the first things that more successful players do.
Eg (but in your voice)
"RPGs are social games. If you take a moment to upload an avatar and introduce yourself in the *wherever introductions lives* then you’re more likely to find a game"?

The script seems to imply that I’d see a post with dice rolls. " Here’s what a game looks like. You can see players and the GM each contributing description, dialog, dice rolling, and out of character discussions". I don’t think I saw that in the video. I wanted that when I started, and I’ve also shared examples with my new players. I think it helps.

You dwell somewhat on the waiting for ages for a reply. Gotta be honest, I nearly bailed from PbP when I was in my first game (I like to think I would have done it politely). From IRL, PbP felt sooo slow. Nobody told me that the solution was that once I was comfortable in one game, I could join more! Yeah - okay - I’m thick, but I’m not the only one. After saying that you might wait days(!) for a reply. Perhaps mention that as people become confident in PbP they often join more games (and then join too many and then it’s so fast that they burn out… okay… maybe not)

But, yeah, it’s great. I think these guides should be collected up into locked threads and put somewhere prominent. There a bunch of fantastic guides on here but I can never find them. I’d hate to see your videos go the same way.
Jun 5, 2021 3:47 pm
You mentioned some things I told Q as well. Too much scaring people off with long wait 😄
Not sure if this is still the same video I saw then but he said he'd show some actual game footage with rolls and stuff, so if it isn't in there yet, it should be in the final version
Jun 5, 2021 3:51 pm
I think this is a great idea Qralloq!

I agree with Adam these sorts of guides need a place. I think the "Guides" forum seems ideal, but for some reasons many people use that forum as a general forum (I think it's because of the layout. The forum title is way over on the right and the subforum titles are on the left). And often discussion about guides don't get posted there. To fix this, I suggest we re-name the subforum in the "Guides" forum to "Guide Discussion and Questions" (or something similar) and create a new subforum for "Established Guides" which are a collection of moderator approved guides. This would include the New Players Guide and things like this video. This "Established Guides" subforum should have a big direct link to it from the home page so it's easy and obvious for new members to find.

Qralloq, I haven't had time to watch the video yet, but when I do I'll send you some feedback if I think of anything.
Jun 5, 2021 4:12 pm
Thanks. As mentioned earlier, the proposed dialog is a modification from the video dialog, reflecting feedback I already have received. I'll eventually incorporate the feedback here to create a second draft of the video with shots from my Savage Worlds game (with my players already expressed permission).
Last edited June 5, 2021 4:13 pm
Jun 5, 2021 4:20 pm
Agree that things are very scattered and random.

But I think certain guides should coincide with subject matter that applies to the guide.

For instance:

New players guide should be at the top of the Introduction thread. So you can read the new players guide then introduce yourself instead of searching all over looking for the place to introduce yourself. Same goes for what to expect on GP.

Like the "How to write a recruitment thread" is currently stickied in Gamers Tavern.

Guides scattered everywhere or even lost as some of you mention they are currently, is as good or bad as every guide being in one place.

You wouldn't put the table of contents for every book you owned in one place would you? They are at the beginning of every book for convenience.

I would love to help out organizing some of these threads if needed. Send me a PM if that seems like something you would like to do. I have zero coding capabilities but organizing is something I sadly enjoy lol, I have nothing but time for about 5-6 hours a day, beats surfing for nonsense.

Can't be that hard to move threads can it?
Last edited June 5, 2021 4:31 pm
Jun 5, 2021 4:29 pm
Guides often apply to more than one part of the site. For example, the new players guide talks about Introductions, but also talks about joining a game. I think having a home for all guides in one place but with links to them in useful places might be optimal. So a link to the new player guide at the top of the Introductions forum, a link to it at the top of the join a game page, on the home page, etc.
Jun 5, 2021 4:48 pm
It's probably too inconvenient to code, but would it be possible to put the quick links on the home page? Like how latest games, your games, etc. are always there?
Jun 5, 2021 5:01 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
Guides often apply to more than one part of the site. For example, the new players guide talks about Introductions, but also talks about joining a game. I think having a home for all guides in one place but with links to them in useful places might be optimal. So a link to the new player guide at the top of the Introductions forum, a link to it at the top of the join a game page, on the home page, etc.
That makes a lot of sense, links where they apply.

Maybe something like this? Just off the top of my head.

Welcome to Gamers Plane your journey begins here:

1: New Member's Guide
2: GP Discord (for those that use it makes sense to be in this area)
3: Introductions Thread
4: What to Expect... Video 1 (Players)
5: Video 2
6: What to Expect... Video 1 (GM's maybe? Not a GM personally.) Have seen some posts asking about GM features.
7: Video 2

Then a link to Finding a Game? (Gamer's Forum) This thread and Game Discussions are both self explanatory as is

1: How to Write a Recruitment Thread
2: Absences (located here seems like it would be noticed more, I always check here for new games after I hit up my game threads)

Then organizing the rest of the guides that have been written as a group then providing links as needed, or sticky them where appropriate? Just to start.

Maybe a thread just for GM's, and a thread for Player's with some tips for building a character background? I know for me that is the hardest part of character building.

Just spitballing
Last edited June 5, 2021 7:43 pm
Jun 5, 2021 5:15 pm
That sounds really great, but I’m afraid I’ve introduced scope creep.

What Qralloq has already created is already good, and I wouldn’t want the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

It works. I’d ship it, and fix the bugs in version 2.
Jun 5, 2021 6:31 pm
I figured you GM's have a secret handshake society lol.. I just threw that out as an idea.

But if you look at the forums Game Discussions and Game Forums are the only clear cut threads. The rest is really vague.
Jun 6, 2021 10:42 pm
Here is a (final) version of the video with the additional share screen bits to match the proposed script.

If the moderators wish to share this on the front page, they have my unlimited permission to do so. I hope you do.
Jun 6, 2021 11:25 pm
I have a green screen with audio and close captions but no video
Jun 6, 2021 11:38 pm
The video works fine for me.

Good job, Qralloq. I could have used this when I first joined up.
Jun 6, 2021 11:49 pm
Its got to be my version of chrome that won't allow the video to show, which is strange because I surf YouTube with it.

It works with UC Turbo, though no Close Captioning option with UC.

Great job, wish this was around 3 months ago :-)
Last edited June 7, 2021 12:00 am
Jun 7, 2021 12:04 am
Weird, it works on YouTube with chrome.

Only a green screen with captions on the site though.
Jun 7, 2021 12:10 am
Rizzoxiii says:
Weird, it works on YouTube with chrome.

Only a green screen with captions on the site though.
Do you have Adam's extension installed? It could be what's causing the issue...
Jun 7, 2021 12:30 am
No I don't think it works with a version of Chrome as old as mine. I don't get extension options for Android 4.2 version of chrome. If I do, I have no idea how to access them lol. Have clicked options dots but nothing for extensions shows.

When I used Firefox I had options but none for chrome
Last edited June 7, 2021 12:37 am
Jun 7, 2021 12:40 am
Works in the Ecosia chrome variant!
Jun 7, 2021 12:46 am
I am using Chrome_42.0.2311.111.apk and it is bare bones, no extensions and no video here on the site. Video works on the YouTube channel though.
Last edited June 7, 2021 12:46 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.