Part One: The Animal Ark

load previous
Jul 8, 2021 11:45 am
"Why time travel?", Mikey asks. "It could be regular travel. Maybe the orbs are connected and he wants to be able to go from one to the other..."
Jul 8, 2021 11:50 am
"Maybe you're right. Maybe he's just lazy or hates the bus. But Asimov, the orb in the guest and that spaceship all are from the future, I'd bet on it. Think of that spaceship. It's getting pulled from somewhere and breaks apart, like one of those ... " his enthusiasm falters as he thinks of the animals. His gorge rises and he nearly heaves.

Time to change the subject. "We should play one of those Em. Do you know how?"
Jul 8, 2021 12:03 pm
"It's just a magnetrine...", Mikey protests weakly. But he can't really argue Georgie's other points. Asimov was strange. Plus the weird weather accompanying the ship.
"I still think we should steal Asimov. He could explain what's going on!"

When Georgie changes the topic, Mikey looks back down at the book in his lap. "I think this stuff is just for nerds," he says. His voice and expression make it very clear that he thinks these roleplaying games are interesting, and that he would love to try them. But he's obviously worried about being labeled as uncool for that.
Last edited July 8, 2021 12:35 pm
Jul 8, 2021 12:32 pm
I know how to play Kerplunk, Andy pipes up, picking up on Georgie's cue. I think I found all the pieces.
Last edited July 8, 2021 12:33 pm
Jul 9, 2021 5:42 am
OOC:
I should have known better than to bring cool games!
Listening to the conversation, Morgan suddenly gets a grave look on her face. "We can't play games right now, guys! Maybe later, but we have to figure out what's going on, and we have to stop it! I mean... Cuckoo might even be planning to bring the horse to the junkyard, right?"
Jul 9, 2021 6:04 am
"Exactly!", Mikey says, quickly closing the book completely and putting it away. "Ugh, you're all so childish!", he then scolds Georgie and Andy, even though he was just as distracted by the games as they were. "Right, so I vote we go to Cuckoo's house and steal Asimov. And we wreck his car, like Morgan suggested, so that we can more easily follow him if he does go somewhere!"
Jul 9, 2021 9:23 am
"I understand trying to temper with his car - nothing too drastic though, but stealing that freaky robot?!?! What are you thinking? " Jaden begins to ventilate, but soon calms and looks around at the astound faces of his younger friends.

I'm so going to regret this... he sighs and speaks up again "Fine, let's do this. I mean, how bad can it go? Worst case scenario we get caught and turned to the police. At least they'll be hearing us then.. Probably... "
OOC:
KCC, do we have any provisions or stuff/tools we could split and take with us if we end up going Leeroy Jenkins?

KCC

Jul 9, 2021 9:53 am
OOC:
You could certainly spend some time gathering a few bits. Depending on how you want to go about it.

Attack it - maybe slingshots? Bits of wood? Baseball bats etc! Maybe your protective sports gear?

Trying to trap it - mmmmm… that would be situational I guess. Where… when? Shovels? Nets?

Hack it - Georgie would have to work some magic on it. Could lead to a group mascot though maybe!

Anything you could feasibly find among your or your parents possessions could be used! Could even find it around the old dump of a hideout. If you’re lucky!
Jul 9, 2021 12:19 pm
Thrilled to hear they weren't talking about going to the junkyard, Andy started packing up the game.

Yeah, we could go back to the house. I could slash his car tires if I could find a sharp enough knife!
Jul 9, 2021 3:30 pm
"Asimov will be able to tell us all we need to know!", Mikey insists. "And it should be pretty easy! We dig a hole, cover it up and then one of us draws out Asimov and leads him to fall into the trap."
OOC:
I like the idea of hacking him but Mikey wouldn't think of that.
"Or are you...", he begins asking, wanting to tease Jaden by calling him a chicken, but then stops himself. The older boy is kind of off-limits for that. He's pretty cool. "Nevermind," he just mutters to himself instead.

To Andy, he says: "I have my knife. That should be enough. And I also liked the idea of pouring sugar into his tank. I don't know if it works but it's worth a try."
Jul 10, 2021 3:17 am
"Yeah," Em says to Mikey with a nod... agreeing with him.

"We could also remove the... what are they? Spark plugs? Or even take his keys. We outnumber him in a big way." The girl then raises one delicate finger. "Also, remember he also has that rental car -- probably the vehicle hooked up to the horse trailer. I think we should just get over there and see what we see." Putting a bit of inflection in her voice, she looks at Spud and quotes Joe Hardy, adding, "The sooner, the better!"
Jul 10, 2021 3:23 am
"If we tried to steal Asimov, we'd have to reset him, get him to imprint on one of us as his controller. I don't want to erase his memory though, we'd want to know what they've done."

KCC

Jul 10, 2021 9:11 am
You spend another few minutes lazing about the hideout. The prospect of a game makes your legs heavy, and more than once you each privately wonder if it might be better to just stay here today and roll some dice (or whatever it is you’re supposed to do with those books). But you don’t. You stand up, one by one, and begin to gather a few items from the hideout to make your plan work.

What is your plan anyway?…
What is Cuckoo’s plan?…

You climb down, one by one, passing down the things you’ve gathered as you go. And then you’re off. You retrieve your bikes from their spots and set off. You know exactly where you’re going today. It’s a fresh morning, and the slight chill hits your legs as you pedal. It’s quiet. So quiet that you needn’t stop for cars on the way.

The homes you pass house children watching one final Christmas movie, while dads pick at the leftover turkey for breakfast. Moms sit at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee, basking in the feeling of a job well done. And tonight? A few beers with friends and neighbors while the kids compare and contrast their hauls in the front room.

You cycle the familiar path now, making better time than yesterday. When you pull up to Cuckoo’s house, you see the rental still in the driveway.

Where is his normal car, anyway?…

The lights are off in the house, and you don’t see anyone stirring through the windows, though you are quite far away. You take up residence behind that neighbors car again. Though you don’t see them watching from the window today.

You do see Asimov, however. Sitting in the porch, folded down like that time Jaden and Andy saw it in the junkyard. He sits, unmoving on the porch.

Is it even on?…
OOC:
What’s the plan? We can say that you brought whatever would facilitate your plan or action. Shovels and a tarp. Slingshots and a screwdriver. Some old netting. It’s up to all of you! You’ll need some rolls for sure to approach or spot stuff!

The scene is yours!
Jul 10, 2021 11:38 am
Andy's heart is pounding and it's not from the physical exertion of pedaling his bike. There is Asimov, just sitting there waiting to be plucked off the porch.

Look! he calls out breathlessly. The robot is asleep. No lights on in the house. We could steal it. Slash the rental 's tires too.
Jul 10, 2021 11:44 am
"I bet if we approach Asimov, he'll wake up," Mikey says. "Let's sneak round the house. There, we can dig a hole for him to fall into. Then, once we caught him, Georgie can try to hack him and get him on out side." He plays with his knife, flipping the small blade out and pushing it back in repeatedly. "I think I'll wait on ruining the car until we took care of Asimov."
Jul 10, 2021 12:01 pm
You'll wait, but maybe I won't. Andy is antsy and itching to do something destructive with that energy.

What if Asimov can start the rental? Make it run us over or something?
Last edited July 10, 2021 12:02 pm
Jul 10, 2021 12:06 pm
"Just don't stand right in front of the car," Mikey shrugs. He's not going to stop Andy but he doesn't really want to expose himself until their trap is set.
Then, with a grin at Georgie, he adds: "A robot driving a car. Now that's funny!"
Last edited July 10, 2021 12:06 pm
Jul 10, 2021 12:11 pm
Before any more argument can start, Miley grabs a spade and starts sneaking around the house, taking anyone who wants to follow his "dog a hole and make the robot fall into it" idea with him.

Rolls

Body 5, Sneak 2, Help 1 - (8D6)

(14545241) = 26

Pushing the roll because no 6 on 8 dice is just ridiculous - (8D6)

(34125124) = 22

Jul 10, 2021 12:20 pm
It won't be funny if he drives it into us, Mikey! he says shaking his head.

Rolls

Tinker - (3d6)

(621) = 9

Jul 10, 2021 4:42 pm
Georgie snickers at Mikey's joke -- he was a funny kid, that's why they got along so well.

But Georgie isn't much of a hole digging guy. He's not even really a read about someone else digging a hole kinda guy. He's more like the type that goes the other way when someone grabs a shovel.

Which is how he ends up on the porch. He examines the killer military robot with all of the innocence of a mosquito hovering around a really pretty bright blue light on the porch.

Quietly he says, "Hey, Asimov, it's your friend Georgie. You can call me Spud, that's what my friends call me. I'm going to look at you if that's okay. I think you've got some damage, maybe I can help fix you up?"

Rolls

Tech 3 Calculate 1 - (4d6)

(1532) = 11

Push it real good - (4d6)

(1224) = 9

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.