New Players Welcome! - Things from the Flood

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 7, 2021 9:39 pm
https://i.imgur.com/AjCzm1E.png

Hey there, everyone!

With one of my long-running games slowly wrapping up, I've been looking forward to starting up a new game and this is what I settled on.

Welcome back to the world of The Loop – things are different now.
Simon Stålenhag’s paintings of Swedish retro futuristic suburbia,
populated by fantastic machines and strange creatures, have won global acclaim.
The award-winning Tales from the Loop Roleplaying Game was released in 2017
and let you experience this amazing world first hand. Now you can return to the Loop
in this standalone sequel game that continues the story into the 1990s.
But remember – this time you can die.

Things from the Flood is a game set in a fictional, alternate 1990s, just when the hopeful world of fantastical technological development appears to be falling apart. The players take over a group of teenagers growing up around the Loop, a giant experimental mass accelerator and research facility on the Mälaren Islands in Sweden. They explore strange mysteries, confront dangers and try to overcome personal struggles.

In this game, the characters will have to deal with both a strange and dangerous mystery threatening the inhabitants of their home town as well as navigate the difficulties that a teenager's personal life brings - fighting parents, failed exams, first love...

This means that some adult topics might be discussed in the game - drugs, self-harm or allusions to sexual themes could all come up, though the specific extent of those depends on what the players decide to focus on. Before starting the game, I will make sure to discuss with the players what topics they are comfortable with and establish boundaries in order to make sure nobody is made to feel uncomfortable or unsafe. This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups.
Content Warnings for topics that are part of this adventure and will come up are: Body Horror (not the player characters), Pregnancy/Childbirth (not the player characters), Violence/Death, Animal Abuse
I would love to find a group of three to four players who are interested in this kind of game and who are willing to get invested in their characters and in the story we'll be telling together.
I also want to give new members of Gamers Plane a chance to get into some games, so I am going to give new players (to the site, to the game or to RPGs or PbP in general) priority for this game. No knowledge of the system is required and, while it can't hurt if you do have the rulebook, that is not by any means a requirement. I'm going to be posting some of the most important info in the forum and will help you out with anything else. I'd be more than happy to teach some complete newbies how the system works during play. All I'm asking for is excitement to try out a narrative game. I am aiming for a post frequency of about once per day from the players. If you can't make it for a day from time to time, that's completely fine, but on average, I'd like to keep it around that. There will be individual scenes dealing with the characters' personal issues as well as shared scenes of investigating the mystery.
It's tough to say how long the game will last from beginning to end but I'm hoping to not have it run forever and to instead give players the ability to actually wrap up a game and bring it to a satisfying conclusion.

You can come in with a character already in mind but we can also hash out ideas together. I will be asking you questions about your background and your specific motivations and problems before the game starts to make sure we can create an interesting narrative together.
This game is going to play the mystery "Of Flesh and Steel", which is the first adventure in the back of the Things from the Flood rulebook. The adventure as written is designed to work as part of a short campaign but I am altering it slightly to be a standalone mystery.

I would like to use the Gamers Plane discord as well for some quicker discussions about this game so if you have Discord and are a member of that server, that would be a bonus, but again, not a requirement set in stone. The actual game will take place here on GP.

In order to apply, simply reply to this thread or send me a private message. I would like to hear about your experience on Gamers Plane (or lack thereof) as well as with this system. As I said, no experience with either is required and I will actually prioritize new players :) That said, experienced members of the site are also encouraged to apply and even if you don't get into the game immediately, I would love to keep you in mind in case someone drops out along the way.
If you already have some character ideas, I would be happy to hear about those as well but if not, we can develop those together later on.

I'll be happy to hear from anyone interested!
Last edited June 8, 2021 10:13 am

KCC

Jun 7, 2021 11:27 pm
I just had a look at the playbooks. Seeker seems like it could be a lot of fun to play. But there are a few that seem fun. I’d take a more in-depth look if I get added. Keep me in mind if there’s a slot to be filled after new players join!
Jun 8, 2021 4:05 am
I'd definitely be up for this. I'd be a new player with no fear of learning a new system. If there's a spot after any new guys, I'll toss my hat in.
Jun 8, 2021 8:18 am
I'm interesting in joining. I think I'm considered new - just joined up on GP in around March and am currently in one game. I have no experience with this rule set or setting, and its honestly a little outside the realm of anything I've every played before.

I'm unfortunately not very well versed in 90's Swedish pop culture. Can I play the one kid that's stupid into Americana and imports Ecto Coolers and bootleg Seinfeld VHS tapes? lol

I'll read up on the material and, if you'll have me, I'll happily go through the application process and give this a shot.
Jun 8, 2021 9:55 am
Thanks for the applications so far!
C1NDER, you're definitely in if you want to. And don't worry about Swedish pop culture. Most of us (me included) are probably not going to be Swedish so sure, just go for whatever works for you there.

For the others in this thread and by PM, I'll keep this thread open for a bit longer to see if any more new members are interested and if not, I'll reach out for you. I'd be happy to have any of you in the game but I do want to give everyone a chance to see this and reply, not just those who happened to spot it first :)
Last edited June 8, 2021 9:55 am
Jun 8, 2021 11:06 am
I'd love to give this a go! I'm fairly new to tabletop RPGs, and this would be my first play by post game.

Are the rules available anywhere online?

Unfortunately, as with C1nder - the only Swedish pop culture I know anything about is ABBA, and that was a bit before the 90's.
Jun 8, 2021 11:11 am
I'll have the most important rules available in the game forum so if you dont have the book, that's not a problem
Jun 8, 2021 12:16 pm
I'd like to give it a go. I'm new to the game and relatively new to GP.
Jun 8, 2021 3:03 pm
Awesome, that's at least three new people already interested. I'll keep this ad up for a bit longer to see if more people show interest and will invite people into the game tomorrow.
Jun 8, 2021 9:15 pm
Make that 4 new people. Have no idea what this is but am willing to learn something new.

Unfortunately no access to discord for me.
Last edited June 8, 2021 9:19 pm
Jun 8, 2021 10:31 pm
As I said, access to the book is not a requirement as I have the most important things in the game forum but if you do want to look into them for all the worldbuilding details or rule details, there's a Humble Bundle currently that can get you the Things from the Flood rulebook along with other things.

Thanks to Stefron for pointing that out :)
Jun 9, 2021 10:27 am
I have invited C!NDER, Rllbbryn, RageRed and Rizzoxiii into the game now. The forums are set up and you can have a look around there.

Link to the Game
Link to the Forum
Jun 9, 2021 10:48 am
The others who applied, I'll keep you in mind in case someone drops out!
Jun 9, 2021 6:03 pm
You are welcome :-)
The game sounds interesting. A very unique setting. So I'm just putting up a show of interest in case anyone else was thinking about running it.

Good luck
Jun 9, 2021 7:12 pm
Good to know Stefron!
I have in mind that I might run another game of Loop or Flood in the near future but I won't commit to two new games to run at the same time.

If I do start another one up, I'll definitely check in here for interested people (plus if someone else is scouring through here looking for players for these games, Im always interested 😉)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.