TftF Character Creation

Jun 8, 2021 9:34 am
We can use this channel to discuss your characters.

The first step for that is for all of you to come up with a rough concept and then pick a suitable Type. If you do have access to the Things from the Flood Rulebook, you'll find the Types in Chapter 4, starting on page 48, but in case you don't, I'll post the brief blurbs for each of them here. No two characters can be the same type. If you already have some ideas for your character (name, age (between 14 and 19), gender, general attitude, hobbies, problems...), feel free to post those here already as well.

Once everyone has a rough idea for their character and has a Type picked out, we can move on to the rest of character creation.
Jun 8, 2021 9:34 am
[ +- ] Hacker
[ +- ] Jock
[ +- ] Lone Wolf
[ +- ] Motorhead
[ +- ] Party Animal
[ +- ] Raver
[ +- ] Rocker
[ +- ] Seeker
[ +- ] Snob
[ +- ] Street Kid
Jun 9, 2021 10:23 am
Rocker please!
Jun 9, 2021 4:14 pm
OOC:
Hey all, first game here so not 100% sure what I'm doing - any tips are greatly appreciated. Here's my character idea, happy to come up with another if anyone else wants to be a jock.
I'm Eric, the local, loveable jock.
Sure everyone says football is the sport to get into; "Think of the money!" or "You could be super famous!".
Not me though, I always preferred the thrill of ice hockey - it's faster, and a just a bit rougher, not that I'm into it for the fights! I'm only 16 and looking at making it large! My coach is SURE there are international teams out scouting for me right now! In just a week or two I'll be jetting off to Pittsburgh, Minnesota, even Boston, or, so my coach says... Then again, my coach did say that last month... and last year... But heck yeah I'm going to make it big! I'm sure of it!
Jun 9, 2021 4:18 pm
Hey there, you two!

Let's see what the others say but I like what I'm seeing so far with your background, Bryn!
There's defintiely some starting points there to work with. Once everyone is there and has a basic idea of what they want to play, we can work out some more details and get into the really interesting bits.

For everyone, if you just create an empty Custom character sheet and submit it to this game, I can copypaste a sheet template int it that we can work with throughout the process!

I'm really excited to get this game started with you :)
Jun 9, 2021 5:57 pm
My girl is a rocker.

Product of a Swedish mother and German father. At some point she and mom left Germany and returned to mom's family in the area. How long ago, depends on how we put everyone together.

I see her as way more cutting edge than worshiping Kurt Cobain. Nirvana is on the easy listening channel, as far as she's concerned. Stuff she let's her mom hear her enjoying...if you know what I mean. White Zombie is decent to listen to, but she's now been exposed to early German death metal and the Swedish variants coming out of Stockholm and Gothenburg. The family wouldn't approve or understand.

She's likely played Kult and that new game from the US; Vampire.

She wants to be a singer...well...since she can't play the guitar her father gifted her anymore. Her mother, on advise from others, sold it.

I am thinking she has a fake ID, so she can get into clubs, buy alcohol, and stuff like that.

I want to leave a lot of her build and background loose at the moment, to allow some wiggle room and meshing potential.
Last edited June 9, 2021 6:22 pm
Jun 9, 2021 7:09 pm
Sounds awesome, RageRed.
For buying alcohol, check out Systembolaget, it's the only place you can buy alcohol in Sweden. But with a fake ID, that's not an obstacle, just something interesting to know for flavor.
Jun 9, 2021 7:36 pm
I'm in the middle of my work day, but excited to dig into this later today! Snob is jumping out at me right away. I could totally play some rich jerk - they can have some of the best character development arcs if done right.
Jun 9, 2021 7:39 pm
Snob is always a good choice 😉 My first Loop character was a Popular Kid and my first Flood character was a Snob. Definitely great archetypes
Jun 9, 2021 11:46 pm
Lone Wolf

My name is Karl, I am 16 and I always have my discman and headphones on listening to Rage Against the Machine, Anthrax, Slayer.

My father is out of the picture since I was around 4, I am an only child latchkey kid. Mom is always working and leaves me to my own devices. I have outgrown the kids from my youth and have become very much a loner. The only thing I am any good at is fighting, to keep me out of trouble when I was younger my mother signed me up for Kung Fu, but I don't share that knowledge with anyone.
OOC:
I have no idea what I am doing lol, am pretty new to RPG's and have only played 3.5 and PF1E before GP and 5e here on GP. Figured I would try something different.
Last edited June 9, 2021 11:49 pm
Jun 10, 2021 5:40 am
Concept Update:

https://i.postimg.cc/gLdhzyjJ/Sabine.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/7ZRsSG78/Sabineav.jpg

Type: Rocker
Name: Sabine Ilsabet Vass

Iconic Item: Fake ID

NPCs: Aunt, Therapist, GF

Anchor: Vocal Coach/Guitar Teacher

Product of a Swedish mother and German father. As with many born to Swedish mothers, Sabine has mother's surname. Her parents were never officially married. Her father was a music promoter and her mother was an aspiring actress.

Some time prior to the beginning of our story, her parents died in a home invasion while Sabine was off partying using her fake ID, at a club. Those responsible have never been caught.

She was shipped off to Sweden to live with her aunt. She and the aunt do not get along. Aunt is the complete opposite of her mother and finds everything about Sabine a disgrace before God.

Sabine is way more cutting edge than worshiping Kurt Cobain. Nirvana is on the easy listening channel, as far as she's concerned. Stuff she let's her aunt hear her enjoying...if you know what I mean. White Zombie is decent to listen to, but she's now been exposed to early German death metal and the Swedish variants coming out of Stockholm and Gothenburg. The family wouldn't approve or understand.

She's likely played Kult and that new game from the US; Vampire.

She wants to be a singer...well...since she can't play the guitar/amp her father gifted her anymore. Her aunt, on advise from others, sold it and lied, saying it has been stolen.

She has a fake ID, so she can get into clubs, buy alcohol from the Systembolaget, and stuff like that.
Last edited June 13, 2021 10:57 am
Jun 10, 2021 8:55 am
WIP...

https://i.imgur.com/uU9uuza.jpg[

Type: Snob
Name: Mikael Schantz
Birthday: 1/25

Iconic Item: Cell Phone

Mikael grew up in the Mälaren Islands and enjoyed a life of wealth and privilege. The only son of a physician and local politician, Mikael seemed to have it all - friends, name-brand clothes, and all the CD's and other junk he could want. He would flaunt that crap any time he could to get the attention he could never find at home.

Funny, his parents hardly seemed to notice him around for years, and he certainly wasn't making trouble for them, but all of a sudden they had this brilliant idea to send him away to boarding school. He was livid and shocked, feeling utterly betrayed by his parents, and believing whole-heartedly that they simply didn't want him around anymore.

He tried to excel in his studies, and did alright for a couple years, but then things started to slip. Even good grades and achievement rewards weren't enough to earn a proverbial pat on the back from mom and dad anymore, so what was the point in trying? He barely kept up pace with the other students, but it was a fight with Niko Runstadt, certified bully and piece of garbage, that landed him in the headmaster's office and a swift expulsion.

His parents still didn't seem to care. He had failed them so intensely, but they wouldn't let him see the disappointment. Instead they kept going on as if he never left in the first place.

Since then, Mikael has tried to piece his life back together. Oh, he certainly still flaunts his fancy cell phone - only kid in the school to have one! - and everything else, it helps to let the other kids at school know just where is on the pecking order. His experience at Boarding School taught him that the importance of being important in order to get by in life, and he plans to climb that ladder to the last, bloody rung while he tries to rebuild the friendships and other relationships he lost when his parents sent him away.
[ +- ]
Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am
Very awesome so far! I can tell this game is going to be fun.

I approved your sheets and copypasted a format into them. Feel free to edit it to make it work better for you if you want.
Rage already filled some stuff out so that works.

Next step is your Attributes and Skills. You distribute 14 points between the four Attributes, with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5 each.
And then you have 10 points to spread between skills. Each Type has three key skills. You can go up to level 3 in those. In any of the others, your max is 1 at character creation.

There is a list of what all the skills do in the Rules Thread in the References subforum of this game.

Rizzoxiii, once you've submitted a character sheet, I'll approve that as well. Here's the character sheet format I copypasted into the others' sheets so you can already work on it right away.
[ +- ] Character Sheet
The Key Skills for your chosen Types are:

Jock: Force, Move, Lead
Lone Wolf: Sneak, Comprehend, Empathize
Rocker: Move, Empathize, Investigate
Snob: Charm, Contact, Comprehend
Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm
What is our starting date in-game? [?/?/1995?]
Jun 10, 2021 2:11 pm
Good question.
Let's say Thursday, April 6 1995
Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Good question.
Let's say Thursday, April 6 1995
Perfect! Now I can say I'm rolling with on of these bad boys...ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Motorola Flare!

https://www.mobilephonehistory.co.uk/motorola/motorola_graphite.gif

Ooh, so hot it hurts!
Last edited June 10, 2021 7:17 pm
Jun 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Sweden has a drinking age? Most European countries don't, some have a height requirement though lol. I know Germany doesn't but they enforce a curfew for teenagers under 15, I believe it is they have to leave the bar/club at midnight.
Jun 10, 2021 11:50 pm
There's definitely a drinking age here in Germany. 16 for beer and wine, 18 for anything stronger
Jun 10, 2021 11:51 pm
And Sweden also has one
Quote:
Buying alcohol in Sweden and Systembolaget
The minimum drinking age in bars is 18, though some bars and nightclubs might have a higher age limit for entry; 20 or even 25. The minimum age to buy alcoholic beverages containing over 3.5 % alcohol by volume is 20, and they can only be bought at Systembolaget.
Jun 10, 2021 11:53 pm
But while I'll definitely be trying to make this game feel Swedish, I'm not an expert on Sweden, and especially nto Sweden in the 90s. So I'm not going to research every single aspect and I'll definitely get some things wrong. And I definitely won't obsess over any inaccuracies that happen to pop up. We're just here to have fun.
Jun 11, 2021 12:00 am
Ahh did not know you were in Germany, I haven't been there since the 90's lol. I was stationed there from 95-98 in Schweinfurt and I knew the age was low. I really miss living there a lot. It was so different from any place in the states.
Jun 11, 2021 12:34 am
(not related to character building but chiming in - I love Germany! Studied German myself for 12 years through high school and Uni. Even lived and studied in Bonn for a short time. Prost!)

Related to character building: I got my attributes and skills updated. Definitely going the route of the charming self-important kid who always acts like everyone owes him a favor.
Jun 11, 2021 8:21 am

With the NPCs and the Anchor for our characters listed, those are for on scene conversations and drama, right? Are we limited to those (2 NPCs and an Anchor) and tie them into our Problem/Drive/Shame if possible, or could those reflect other NPCs?

For instance: I currently have Sabine's aunt and a therapist listed as NPCs and her music/voice coach as her anchor. If I wanted to add a secret crush, should I switch out maybe the therapist to her anchor? Thoughts?
Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am
The NPCs you make up are for your own personal drama as well as for me to just weave into scenes where appropriate. Tying them into your problem/drive/shame is definitely a good idea but not necessary.

You can only have one anchor but you can write down as many NPC connections as you want. Just keep in mind that the more people you make up, the harder it will be for me to include all of them into the game (though even if they just serve as references for you when playing your character, that can't hurt).
Jun 11, 2021 8:49 am
I am thinking just three NPCs listed and the anchor.

BTW, for anyone curious, the age of consent in Sweden is 15 and includes same sex partners. Though, marriage is not yet legal for same sex couples in 1995, they are recognized and accepted.
Jun 11, 2021 3:43 pm
@C1NDER,

How many years did Mikael go to the boarding school? You mention at least two in the brief on the preceding page. And how long has he been back? I am trying to narrow down Sabine's timeline. She is not from the islands and only arrived there after her parent's died. So, depending on when Mikael left for boarding school and when he returned, helps me to understand how long they may have known each other prior to the beginning of our Mystery.
Last edited June 11, 2021 3:44 pm
Jun 11, 2021 3:50 pm
Hey all, sorry! A little late to this party! Looks like there's some great characters here!

Type: Jock
Name: Eric Pettersson

Iconic Item: Hockey stick

NPCs: Coach, A younger brother he cares for

Anchor: Mother
OOC:
I'm not too certain about the differences between NPCs and Anchor - Eric tends to go to his mother for advice in times of crisis, but also cares deeply for his younger brother
Eric is a local, loveable jock.

He’s been skating for about as long as he’s been able to walk, and for the past decade or so, most of that time skating has been spent playing hockey. He plays with his friends, he plays for his school, he plays for Stenhamra’s under 16s team, and occasionally the under 21s when they’re missing players. If there’s a pond around, chances are Eric’s played hockey on it at some point. His stick goes with him wherever he goes, his skates aren’t far behind. Eric would love to join the Pittsburgh Penguins, though any team in The States would suit him just fine. His coach insists he’ll be scouted by an international team soon, but then again his coach did say that last month, and last year. Eric is sure it’ll be soon though!

Eric was never unpopular at school. He gets on with everyone, he has a group of friends he spends his time with, but there are only really three people in the world he speaks to freely – his coach, his mother, and his younger brother.

In terms of family, Eric’s father works overseas – literally, he works on an oil rig and spends months at a time there, returning for a day or two here or there spending as much of their money as he can. Eric is the "man of the house", doing everything he can to look after his younger brother – feeding him when their mum can’t make it home, picking him up from school, dealing with any bullies. Admittedly, he’s not much help with the homework, academia was never Eric’s forte, that’s where their mum shines. She’s a wonder, working two, sometimes three jobs, making money any way she can – taking care of two growing boys isn’t cheap, especially when one constantly needs new hockey equipment. On top of all that she does everything she can to help the boys through life – poring over books to act as their tutor, staying up all night to finish projects, scraping together their last few krona to send them on school trips.

There’s also Eric’s coach who has been as close to a father figure as Eric has ever had. He taught him to skate at the age of three, hockey not much later, and they have trained with each other ever since. It’s been a struggle. Learning to hit a puck with a stick is easy; to be the best at it though, that takes a lot of hard work. They have stuck at it regardless, Eric playing, learning, and his coach pushing. Eric is sure his coach would do anything to turn him into a success. Eric’s mother doesn’t necessarily see eye to eye with the coach; her son often comes home bruised and exhausted, sometimes even on the verge of tears. She trusts Eric though, and is sure he would tell her if it gets too much.
Jun 11, 2021 4:30 pm
Bryn, the backstory sounds great!
Quote:
I'm not too certain about the differences between NPCs and Anchor
NPCs are just important characters in your PC's life. The Anchor has actual mechanical uses as in, spending a scene interacting with your anchor can remove stress. They're basically just your most trusted NPC
Jun 11, 2021 6:23 pm
Bryn messaged me earlier asking about where exactly on the Mälaren we're playing.
There is only one fixed location for the adventure and that's on Svartsjölandet. I am going to say you're all going to school in Stenhamra, which is the largest city (still fairly small) on the Mälaren. You should live somewhere on Svartsjölandet, but whether you live in Stenhamra or outside and take a school bus into town is up to you.

Aside from Stenhamra, the next bigger city is Stockholm, which is about one to two hours from Stenhamra by bus, maybe half that by car. You probably won't get to Stockholm in this adventure, except potentially in a personal scene if that seems appropriate to you.
I would also like for you to figure out how you know each other. Are you friends? Are you in a club together? In a Flood game I'm playing in, the PCs were in a school Photography club together which was a great hook to get us to explore the island together. But there are any number of reasons you could be hanging out together. Get creative!
@Rizzoxiii, you still haven't submitted a character sheet. Any difficulties there? If the site is giving you trouble, let me know and I can walk you through things. It's not always the most intuitive 🙂
Jun 11, 2021 6:31 pm
I have been looking over the Friction and Questions section myself since last night. I didn't want to jump the gun on those until Rizzo plugged in his character.

I guess Bryn answered one of my questions of whether or not all our characters are only children. I see Eric has a younger brother.
Jun 11, 2021 7:24 pm
RageRed says:
@C1NDER,

How many years did Mikael go to the boarding school? You mention at least two in the brief on the preceding page. And how long has he been back? I am trying to narrow down Sabine's timeline. She is not from the islands and only arrived there after her parent's died. So, depending on when Mikael left for boarding school and when he returned, helps me to understand how long they may have known each other prior to the beginning of our Mystery.
I see Mikael has having been off to boarding school for two full school years and got kicked out as he started his third year. He's been back for a few months, I think, by the time we open, probably had to insert himself into normal school after everyone else and is trying to adjust to that.

It's April 6, 1995 and by my quick research it looks like the school years run from August to June.

I'll say he left for Boarding School ~July 1992 and just returned back ~January 1995.
Jun 11, 2021 9:49 pm
Everyone I hate to be a stick in the mud but I'm feeling out of my element here for some reason. I just don't know where to begin, and rather then hold you all up I am going to bow out. Sorry for wasting your time.
Jun 11, 2021 9:54 pm
That's totally fine, don't worry. Not every game is for everybody. I'm glad you gave this a shot!

Hope to see you in another game at some point!
Jun 11, 2021 9:55 pm
For the others, we can definitely run this game with three people, or I can ask one of the others who applied to this game to join us in Rizzoxiii's place. What do you prefer? Either option works equally well for me.
Jun 11, 2021 10:18 pm
There was enough interest in the recruitment thread, I'm all for bringing someone else in :)
Jun 12, 2021 2:19 am
C1NDER says:

I'll say he [Mikael] left for Boarding School ~July 1992 and just returned back ~January 1995.
Sabine began school in the area in the fall of '92. So, she and Mikael never met or were acquainted until his return earlier this year. She's also two and half years older than he and a Junior in high school.
Jun 12, 2021 2:23 am
bowlofspinach says:
For the others, we can definitely run this game with three people, or I can ask one of the others who applied to this game to join us in Rizzoxiii's place. What do you prefer? Either option works equally well for me.
I'm okay with finding someone who can mesh well with what we have started. I did just notice that most of the interest posts in the recruitment thread have been deleted except one.
Jun 12, 2021 3:39 am
bowlofspinach says:
I think there were quite a few people who were interested, happy to let one of them join!
RageRed says:
C1NDER says:

I'll say he [Mikael] left for Boarding School ~July 1992 and just returned back ~January 1995.
Sabine began school in the area in the fall of '92. So, she and Mikael never met or were acquainted until his return earlier this year. She's also two and half years older than he and a Junior in high school.
I suppose Eric and Sabine know each other from school - just need to think of how they were more than passing acquaintances. I don't think Eric would be part of any clubs (other than hockey), though I'm sure we can figure something like that out if everyone else wants.

Perhaps his younger brother is getting into rock and Eric approached Sabine for advice, striking up an unlikely friendship?

I'm not sure where your characters live, but perhaps we all happen to be on the same school bus together? The first three or four people to get on the bus each morning?

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there!
Jun 12, 2021 5:49 am
Welcome to the game, KCC!
Jun 12, 2021 6:51 am
Welcome KCC!

KCC

Jun 12, 2021 6:57 am
Hello all! Will get to character creation some point tonight.

Looks like we have a Jock, Snob and Rocker so far!
Jun 12, 2021 7:09 am
KCC69 says:
Hello all! Will get to character creation some point tonight.

Looks like we have a Jock, Snob and Rocker so far!
*rolls eyes* "Whatever."

heh. Yeah, that's right. We're not too far into things right now. Just starting to figure out how we all know each other.
Jun 12, 2021 8:52 am
Rllbbryn says:

I suppose Eric and Sabine know each other from school - just need to think of how they were more than passing acquaintances. I don't think Eric would be part of any clubs (other than hockey), though I'm sure we can figure something like that out if everyone else wants.

Perhaps his younger brother is getting into rock and Eric approached Sabine for advice, striking up an unlikely friendship?

I'm not sure where your characters live, but perhaps we all happen to be on the same school bus together? The first three or four people to get on the bus each morning?

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there!
I'm sure that over the course of the last 2+ years Eric and Sabine would have passed each other in the halls or around town. She lives in town. If he is getting his little brother to music lessons, they may even have crossed paths at the same music school. IIRC, music lessons in Sweden are free?
Jun 12, 2021 9:09 am
@C1NDER,

I happened to notice this in your first character brief up-thread.
Quote:
...while he tries to rebuild the friendships and other relationships he lost when his parents sent him away.
You mention friends and relationships. He left for boarding school at age 12? Could there be a friend or relationship that has changed in interests from how he remembers back then and is now Sabine's friend or relationship...now into rocker culture and maybe into her?

This may be the cause of some mild friction between them. He's only been back for a few months. It could also be a starting point for an odd friendship. I gather he also likes music, with the mention of his collection of CDs.
Last edited June 12, 2021 9:14 am
Jun 12, 2021 10:58 am
RageRed says:
@C1NDER,

I happened to notice this in your first character brief up-thread.
Quote:
...while he tries to rebuild the friendships and other relationships he lost when his parents sent him away.
You mention friends and relationships. He left for boarding school at age 12? Could there be a friend or relationship that has changed in interests from how he remembers back then and is now Sabine's friend or relationship...now into rocker culture and maybe into her?

This may be the cause of some mild friction between them. He's only been back for a few months. It could also be a starting point for an odd friendship. I gather he also likes music, with the mention of his collection of CDs.
This is what I was starting to work towards with that, but at the time needed to wait and see how other characters fleshed out.

I like the idea of having been friends with one or more of the other teens before he left for boarding school. Now upon returning he tries to continue those friendships where he left off, but finds that in just a few short years everyone has changed so much. It never occurs to him that he's also changed a lot, and those friends - though they remember him fondly and are willing to give me a chance, find him to be utterly annoying at times.

I like the idea that one of those friends could be Sabine's friend, and maybe that's how were introduced. He definitely likes music and gets really into it, but doesn't talk about it much - none of his boarding school 'friends' cared about music and made fun of people that walked around with their discman chained to them all day. He'll need to get over that.

@Bryn, what do you think of Eric and Mikael growing up together and being friends up until Mikael moved away? I feel like the rich cool kid and the athletic, popular jock could have been pretty good friends. Then any connection Eric has with Sabine could extend to me as we try to resume our friendship now that I've returned to Stenhamra.
Last edited June 12, 2021 11:05 am
Jun 12, 2021 12:04 pm
@Cinder - that works for me!

So - Eric and Mikael were childhood friends, recently reconnected. Eric met Sabine while he was dropping off and picking up his brother and they got chatting. Then Eric would have introduced Mikael and Sabine at some point, probably at school, but maybe out and about in town.

Just need to introduce QCC now!

KCC

Jun 12, 2021 12:13 pm
I’ll be playing a Seeker for sure! I’ll put him together tonight! If the kids sleep early :D
Jun 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Excited to see a Seeker. I'm leaning towards that in your game, once we get to Flood, but it'll also depend on how my character's arc will play out until then

KCC

Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Oops. Actually ended up with a hacker. Divine inspiration sorta hit me! :D submitted!
Jun 12, 2021 2:36 pm
Accepted the sheet, though unseen for now. I'll have a look later. Maybe you can share some backstory with us so you all can figure out how you're acquainted

KCC

Jun 12, 2021 2:48 pm
So I envisioned Yumin and her family as immigrants into Sweden, with her father working at the labs at the Loop or what have you. They relocated a few years before the present day. The change was difficult for Yumin (in some ways. In others, sweat relief.) and she withdrew somewhat into herself. The language on its own was enough of a hurdle for a young girl to cross.

Time spent away from socializing was instead used to become familiar with computers and technology. She had clearly inherited some of her father’s brains. As the years went on, she did begin to appreciate the life that Sweden offered her, especially during those tender teenage years, where life in Korea could have been quite, well... soul crushing. Sure, omma would like if if Yumin studied more, but away from that rat race lifestyle back home, well... Yumin got by alright.

And she won some awards here and there, which kept omma off her back. Something to brag about to her friends back home, when she had the chance to talk with them! And isn’t that all any mother really wants anyway?
Jun 12, 2021 3:52 pm
Nice to see a Hacker. A Seeker would have been cool too, but we were really shy on Tech skills.
Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm
@ KCC,

How long since Yumin and her family immigrated? Sabine is also not a true native even though she has family who are.
Last edited June 12, 2021 3:56 pm
Jun 12, 2021 3:56 pm
Quote:
but we were really shy on Tech skills.
...which may come in handy 😉
Jun 12, 2021 3:57 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
but we were really shy on Tech skills.
...which may come in handy 😉
No doubt.
Jun 12, 2021 4:03 pm
I've been thinking and if you still like the idea of all (or at least most) being from outside Stenhamra proper and on the same bus to and from school, I can use that as a way to get you into the mystery even without you being a dedicated friend group like the adventure is assuming for the start...
Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm
RageRed says:
...Eric and Sabine would have passed each other in the halls or around town. She lives in town. If he is getting his little brother to music lessons, they may even have crossed paths at the same music school. IIRC, music lessons in Sweden are free?
Jun 12, 2021 4:19 pm
Maybe you'll have an excuse to take the bus then. Might visit one of the others, potentially for Eric's brother
Jun 12, 2021 4:21 pm
Or maybe to investigate some rumors with the others...
Jun 12, 2021 4:22 pm
Hmm. I hadn't decided yet if Mikael lives in or out of town. I'm thinking his family probably has a fancy house outside of town
Even if 3/4 of us ride the bus, is that enough to pull Sabine in that way too? Would it be possible for her to take the bus one day to do something with Eric after school ?
Jun 12, 2021 4:27 pm
What I have in mind can totally work if not all of you take the bus normally, as long as you have a strong enough Drive to get you curious about looking into some rumors until you get wrapped up in what's happening...
But if some of you come into town with the bus at least, that gives you some additional incentive, I think

KCC

Jun 12, 2021 4:28 pm
I’d say that she’s been around long enough that she can call back to funny little adventures she had (maybe alone, or with an as-of-yet unnamed NPC) while the Loop was doing its thing. Dad would have come to work there. So what’s that? 5, 6, 7 years?
Jun 12, 2021 4:30 pm
Sabine's mindset is that being a Junior and riding the school bus is a mark of shame. She's old enough for a driver's permit and nearly old enough to get her license. She can drive a car, but her aunt won't let her get the permit. This is assuming that in Sweden teens still need a guardian's signature to get your permit?

So far, it seems music is the glue that binds. What's the chance Sabine has a part-time job at a music store in town a couple nights a week and there's a break room in back that can be used to chill or even play games when the store closes?
Last edited June 12, 2021 4:45 pm
Jun 12, 2021 4:39 pm
I'm mostly just thinking out loud. I'll find a way to get you all where you need to be 😉
Quote:
I’d say that she’s been around long enough that she can call back to funny little adventures she had (maybe alone, or with an as-of-yet unnamed NPC) while the Loop was doing its thing. Dad would have come to work there. So what’s that? 5, 6, 7 years?
The Flood happened unexpectedly about half a year ago, so even if she had just come here one year ago, she could have had an adventure or two. But 5-7 years ago would put her more into the Tales from the Loop age range so that might also be something nice to consider.
Quote:
So far, it seems music is the glue that binds. What's the chance Sabine has a part-time job at a music store in town a couple nights a week and there's a break room in back that can be used to chill or even play games when the store closes?
I definitely like that idea. Teens don't have a dedicated Hideout mechanically like Kids in Tales from the Loop have but you could still have that as your "hideout" anyway. Sabine could have a key and be allowed to hang out there outside of work hours as long as she keeps everything clean. Or she might not be allowed to but still do it. Who's going to find out if the owners don't live right there?
Jun 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Here's an idea:

Would anyone be opposed to the following?

Yumin would have known Mikael prior to his leaving for boarding school. This unnamed friend of hers was also known to Mikael. He may have had a crush on the friend. When school started in '92 Yumin and her friend became acquainted with the new girl, Sabine. Over the course of the next couple years, the unnamed friend [Kajsa] grew closer to Sabine than maybe first known, as her GF.

I've been working on the NPC GF for a while now, but I haven't given her much details so far, save for her name.
Jun 12, 2021 4:44 pm
Tying all of you together through one shared NPC could definitely be a good idea!
Jun 12, 2021 4:49 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Tying all of you together through one shared NPC could definitely be a good idea!
Kajsa could be a cousin to Eric on his mother's side or a cheerleader, possibly both.
Last edited June 12, 2021 4:50 pm
Jun 12, 2021 5:13 pm
All sounds good to me - Kajsa, the music store hang out, etc. We can work in to what extent Mikael knew Yumin before he left for boarding school. Maybe they were top students in the same class together? Mikael excelled in math and language classes.
Jun 12, 2021 9:15 pm
https://i.postimg.cc/kMQKK6Rw/Kajsa.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/RJ3CJNss/Kajsa1.jpg

Kajsa Roos

DOB: 12 July, 1978
Current Grade: 11th

Traits: Nurturing, intuitive, affectionate, protective, loyal

She is a cheerleader, with interests in dance and music. She aspires to be a model one day.

Connections:
Cousin to Eric Pettersson on his mother's side. Childhood friend, and secret crush at the time, of Mikael Schantz. Friend to Yumin Kim. Girl friend of Sabine Vass.
Last edited June 13, 2021 9:44 am
Jun 13, 2021 3:22 am
RageRed's idea works for me! We're all connected through knowing Kajsa Roos - she's Mikaels old friend, recently reconnected since he came back. Yumin and her have been friends for quite a while, Sabine joined their circle and is now Kajsa's gf. Kajsa is also Eric's cousin, I'm not sure how old she is, but I'd guess a couple of years older than Eric - perhaps she often comes over to help his mum. Eric would have then know and have become part of the group through his cousin.
Jun 13, 2021 9:30 am
Rllbbryn says:
Sabine joined their circle and is now Kajsa's gf. Kajsa is also Eric's cousin, I'm not sure how old she is, but I'd guess a couple of years older than Eric - perhaps she often comes over to help his mum. Eric would have then known and have become part of the group through his cousin.
I am thinking Kajsa is 16 and will become 17 during the summer break. As a female Cancer sign, she is very nurturing and protective of family and close friends. This would work quite well for her wanting to help her aunt. I am going to update Kajsa's mini-bio above.

Oh, and don't forget Eric's little brother and Sabine take music lessons at the same studio/music school.
Jun 13, 2021 10:29 am
Quote:
Quote:
I definitely like that idea. Teens don't have a dedicated Hideout mechanically like Kids in Tales from the Loop have but you could still have that as your "hideout" anyway. Sabine could have a key and be allowed to hang out there outside of work hours as long as she keeps everything clean. Or she might not be allowed to but still do it. Who's going to find out if the owners don't live right there?
This could explain everything about Sabine's work situation.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKfWf807/Leo.jpg

"Oh! I'm the Boss, Man?"
Jun 13, 2021 11:39 am
Since this is all taking shape, I'll throw out the second half of character considerations as well now.
[ +- ] Iconic Item
[ +- ] Problem
[ +- ] Drive
[ +- ] Shame

[ +- ] Friction
Jun 13, 2021 5:31 pm
@KCC,

How old is Yumin and what grade is she in?
Jun 13, 2021 5:42 pm
Looking at her sheet, she's 17
Jun 13, 2021 5:44 pm
Thanks for the info bowlofspinach
Jun 14, 2021 9:55 am
bowlofspinach says:
Since this is all taking shape, I'll throw out the second half of character considerations as well now.
[ +- ] Iconic Item
[ +- ] Problem
[ +- ] Drive
[ +- ] Shame

[ +- ] Friction
I think I've added most of those to my character page now.

Have we thought about the friction at all?
Jun 14, 2021 1:28 pm
bowlofspinach sent a note to Rllbbryn
Jun 14, 2021 6:57 pm
RageRed says:

You mention friends and relationships. He [Mikael] left for boarding school at age 12? Could there be a friend or relationship that has changed in interests from how he remembers back then and is now Sabine's friend or relationship...now into rocker culture and maybe into her? [Kajsa]

This may be the cause of some mild friction between them. He's only been back for a few months. It could also be a starting point for an odd friendship.
@Bryn,

I introduced the idea of some mild friction in the group with having Kajsa once being Mikael's un-professed crush before he left for boarding school at age 12. There's also the building and re-building of friendships.
Jun 14, 2021 7:10 pm
With Kajsa being the one connecting you all, it would make sense to focus friction around her. But you can go with whatever you feel like
Jun 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Sure.

These are the frictions that to me seem the most likely with what I understand of the PCs so far.

■ Love
■ Sexuality
■ Rivalry
■ Misunderstandings

These I don't see as plausible to start, unless anyone has ideas how we could implement them with the PCs we have created and not break up the friend group.

■ Unfair Behavior
■ Malice
■ Theft
■ Cowardice/Fear
■ Weakness
■ Crime
Last edited June 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Jun 14, 2021 7:52 pm
Love/sexuality seems like a solid place to start for Friction.

Mikael grew up with Kajsa, they were close friends, and he was crushing on her hard for a while before he got shipped off to boarding school. She's literally the best, as far as he is concerned, but they didn't stay in touch very often because of Mikael's own idiocy. When he got kicked out and returned home, hers was the first friendship he tried to rekindle, only to turn out that she's involved with someone else...and that someone else is a girl, and that this girl is (in his mind) so much cooler and awesome than he could ever be.

I think he'll have some serious jealousy, and to start off with, will ride the line carefully of being a jerk and trying to one-up Sabine, but also not pissing Kajsa off and ruining his friendship with her, which is still something he cherishes.

Sheesh, being a kid is tough. This could extend easily to the rest of the group, to whom this entanglement is as obvious as day and creates awkwardness and (if pushed) could break the group to pieces.

I still see Eric as a friend growing up as well; with Eric and Kasja cousins, what do you guys think about Mikael's, Eric's, and Kajsa's mothers all being close friends? That could make sense as why they all spent time together while growing up.
Last edited June 14, 2021 7:59 pm
Jun 14, 2021 8:47 pm
I could easily see the three mothers being friends.

Definitely a contrast to Sabine with both parents dead and living with her aunt (the islands' busybody and leader of the churchy people).

KCC

Jun 14, 2021 11:07 pm
Does the whole group share one Friction? Because I could totally see Misunderstanding being a problem too, for a non-native Swede. Especially with all that teenage angst mixed in.
Jun 14, 2021 11:12 pm
KCC69 says:
Does the whole group share one Friction? Because I could totally see Misunderstanding being a problem too, for a non-native Swede. Especially with all that teenage angst mixed in.
I'm sure our lovely DM can confirm, but I *believe* there's one friction at a time, something that impacts the cohesion of the group in as a whole, but that Friction can change over the course of the game, so it's dynamic. Like, it could start as one thing, then later become Misunderstanding.
Jun 15, 2021 2:38 am
You have one friction but it can impact the different characters differently. I shared the description for it somewhere above.
Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am
https://i.postimg.cc/kVsNQ6gb/auntieel.jpg

Auntie Eleonora
Last edited June 15, 2021 8:26 am
Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm
I can work with the friction between Mikael, Sabine and Kajsa. Perhaps Eric often feels like a "Fourth Wheel" when he's with everyone else. He would try to keep Mikael's spirits up, but at the same time wants to stay with his new friends with Sabine, Kajsa and Yumin.
Jun 15, 2021 5:24 pm
Okay, I'm going through all of your character sheets now and it looks like we're just about ready to get started. A few things on each of your sheets:

bowlofspinach sent a note to C1NDER
bowlofspinach sent a note to KCC69
bowlofspinach sent a note to RageRed

We also have the group friction by now, which is all centered around Kajsa. To get that to a good point, can everyone briefly summarize their PC's perspective on the friction in one or two sentences?
Now, for the final part before we can get started with the game, I have some questions for you, first for the whole group, then for the individual characters.

Questions for the Group:
- What do you enjoy doing together?
- What topics do you avoid talking about?
- Who dislikes your group?

Questions for the Teens:

bowlofspinach sent a note to KCC69
bowlofspinach sent a note to RageRed
Jun 15, 2021 8:15 pm
RageRed sent a note to bowlofspinach
Last edited June 15, 2021 8:16 pm
Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm
That all sounds good, Rage!

For the missing relationships, you can still keep thinking about those as the game progresses. You don't necessarily need to have everything set in stone right now. I'm definitely a fan of keeping some things fluid for a while as no character ever just jumps into your mind fully formed. In my experience at least, you need to actually play someone in order to see what they're like.

@everyone: same for the skills and attributes. I'll give you a chance after a scene or two to shift some things around if you find something doesn't quite match up.

Once I've gotten answers from everyone, I will start us off with introductory scenes for each Teen. If you have a specific scene in mind for you character, let me know and I'll set that up. Otherwise, I will think of something for you. Your introductory scenes will be set before Thursday, April 6 1995 - most likely on Wednesday.
Jun 15, 2021 8:54 pm
Short list of some songs: (a lot depends on Sabine's mood at the moment)

'I'm Broken" ~Pantera
"Blind" ~Korn
"Dead Skin Mask" ~Slayer
"Head Like a Hole" ~NIN
"Killing in the Name" ~Rage Against the Machine
"Heresy" ~NIN
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" ~Metallica
"Closer" ~NIN
Jun 15, 2021 9:00 pm
Looks good. The Favorite Song is more meant to be another latching on point for you to get an idea of who your character is. A list of songs or just a well thought through statement of "She cant settle on one" work just as well for that
Jun 15, 2021 9:02 pm
I'll add the short list to Sabine's character sheet.

KCC

Jun 15, 2021 11:44 pm
KCC sent a note to bowlofspinach
I feel like Kasja and Yumin are an unlikely duo. Perhaps some of the friendship was performative at the beginning. A worried immigrant mother pushing her child towards anyone that reached out. Giving extra leeway on behavior and responsibilities if it just meant that Yumin would be okay and adapt to her new life. And on Kasja’s part, perhaps some of it was self serving, look-at-me-aren’t-I-great?

But a real friendship blossomed, perhaps after an adventure or two around the Loop. But Yumin can’t help but think that Kasja has the life that Yumin would have had if she lived back in Korea, if she never had to pause her social life. Crushes, sneaking side glances, even from some of those within the friend group. Yumin never got any of that. Not that she saw, anyway. She was jealous of the love and affection that was heaped on Kasja.

How’s that?
Jun 15, 2021 11:46 pm
Sounds good on both parts so far
Jun 16, 2021 3:25 am
PM'd you, Spinach.

I'm such a noob, I couldn't figure out how the note system works. Can any give me a quick rundown? (it kept showing the formatting in the final text.
Last edited June 16, 2021 3:28 am
Jun 16, 2021 3:30 am
KCC69 says:
I feel like Kasja and Yumin are an unlikely duo. Perhaps some of the friendship was performative at the beginning. A worried immigrant mother pushing her child towards anyone that reached out. Giving extra leeway on behavior and responsibilities if it just meant that Yumin would be okay and adapt to her new life. And on Kasja’s part, perhaps some of it was self serving, look-at-me-aren’t-I-great?

But a real friendship blossomed, perhaps after an adventure or two around the Loop. But Yumin can’t help but think that Kasja has the life that Yumin would have had if she lived back in Korea, if she never had to pause her social life. Crushes, sneaking side glances, even from some of those within the friend group. Yumin never got any of that. Not that she saw, anyway. She was jealous of the love and affection that was heaped on Kasja.

How’s that?
This is awesome, KC! I love the dynamic that our group is coming up with.

---------------

As for that, need to brainstorm the group questions.

Questions for the Group:
----I think we've pinpointed that music is something we all enjoy and we can use that. Do we go to concerts together? (Maybe not Mikael since he's only been back a short time, but he'd like to join!) Do sneak into movie theatres? Do we pull pranks on people that we don't like? Several of us, Mikael included, would have been around during the Loop period - as a holdover from that, do we actively meet up just to listen to music and talk about the weird shit going on around town?

-----On a character level - the group knows talking about Mikael's parents doesn't make him happy (whether you do it anyways is up to you lol)
-----How about a kid from our school recently died or went missing under weird circumstances and nobody, including us, is very comfortable talking about it?
-----Do your characters have things that they don't like others in the group mentioning? Sabine's mom might be one?

-----I feel like if we nail down the first question (what we like to do together), maybe this will be easier to answer.
Last edited June 16, 2021 3:44 am
Jun 16, 2021 4:46 am
C1NDER says:

As for that, need to brainstorm the group questions.

Questions for the Group:
----I think we've pinpointed that music is something we all enjoy and we can use that. Do we go to concerts together? (Maybe not Mikael since he's only been back a short time, but he'd like to join!) Do sneak into movie theatres? Do we pull pranks on people that we don't like? Several of us, Mikael included, would have been around during the Loop period - as a holdover from that, do we actively meet up just to listen to music and talk about the weird shit going on around town?
Listen to music, definitely. All of the above. They can meet up at the music store and hang in the back after hours to listen to music, talk shit, and maybe even play games. The book does reference Kult and Vampire as appropriate.
Quote:
-----On a character level - the group knows talking about Mikael's parents doesn't make him happy (whether you do it anyways is up to you lol)
-----How about a kid from our school recently died or went missing under weird circumstances and nobody, including us, is very comfortable talking about it?
-----Do your characters have things that they don't like others in the group mentioning? Sabine's mom might be one?
Sounds good. Sabine's mom and dad, actually. Unless she mentions them first.

Religion. Sabine's is an atheist. The subject makes her uneasy. He own aunt and her circle of 'churchies' are the origin of gossip around town that Sabine is a godless, devil-worshiping whore.

Quote:
-----I feel like if we nail down the first question (what we like to do together), maybe this will be easier to answer.
Sabine is disliked by her aunt's circle of friends and anyone who listens to them, including their children. I can also imagine that, even with Sweden's general acceptance of 'alternative lifestyles', that there would be some who would still have problems with same-sex couples. Probably not as much as if they were a male couple, but still some.

Its not like Sabine and Kajsa are all over each other in public, but neither do they deny their affection for each other.
Jun 16, 2021 4:55 am
https://i.postimg.cc/j5h2tyDK/angela.jpg

Angelika Gullikson

Sabine's Music/Voice Teacher (Anchor)

https://i.postimg.cc/T1nngtYb/therapist.jpg

Dr. Siri Lofgren

Sabine's Therapist (NPC)
Last edited June 16, 2021 5:08 am
Jun 16, 2021 5:14 am
On an individual level, I guess Mikael is not really liked by too many of the other kids at school. He used to be friends with a lot of the 'cool' kids in class, and wasn't exactly the nicest person to those who weren't in that group. In between those circles were Eric and Kajsa, who he stayed relatively close to.

I'm thinking he even started to grow a little distant from them before he went to boarding school. When he returned, all his old 'friends' in 'rich and cool' group at school had no interest in him anymore, and think he's a loser for getting kicked out of boarding school. A lot of the other kids remember him as a stuck-up jerk. His only real friends now, are this ragtag group of weirdos. Indeed, maybe he's a bit of a social pariah to keep around - he would see and really appreciate the risk in that.
Jun 16, 2021 5:26 am
I'm liking those discussions.

As for notes, the res been a recent update to the button that kind of messed it up. I pointed it out and it'll get fixed. The code for the end bracket is supposed to be [/note], not [note]. Until it's fixed, you'll need to add the slash manually
Jun 16, 2021 5:28 am
C1NDER sent a note to bowlofspinach
woo! Thanks Spinach and Rage!

https://st.depositphotos.com/1177973/3818/i/600/depositphotos_38186743-stock-photo-young-teacher-near-chalkboard-in.jpg

Hugo Andersson (Anchor) English language teacher at school. Used to teach lower grades, now older grades - Mikael has taken his classes for years now and they have a close, almost mentoring relationship.
Last edited June 16, 2021 5:34 am
Jun 16, 2021 5:32 am
Jun 16, 2021 5:35 am
I created a thread for all important NPCs. You can put yours in there, either with picture references like Rage has been finding, or without, but just name and description of who they are would be useful. I'll also update the thread with any important names that come up during the game.
Jun 16, 2021 5:36 am
C1NDER sent a note to bowlofspinach
Jun 16, 2021 12:41 pm
bowlofspinach says:

We also have the group friction by now, which is all centered around Kajsa. To get that to a good point, can everyone briefly summarize their PC's perspective on the friction in one or two sentences?

Eric feels a bit like an awkward fourth wheel; his friends are trying to one-up each other over his cousin.
bowlofspinach says:

Now, for the final part before we can get started with the game, I have some questions for you, first for the whole group, then for the individual characters.

Questions for the Group:

As mentioned, we all seem to like hanging out together at the music store. For Eric it is more about having a group of people he can talk to and get some respite from hockey which (though he adores playing) can sometimes get a little too much.

All things previously mentioned by everyone else, happy to go with Cinder's idea of a death at school or something along those lines if we want something more interesting.
Eric tends to avoid talking about his own life, and focuses on shallower topics. He rarely brings up his feelings with anyone but his mother.

As Cinder put it - we seem to be a "ragtag group of weirdos". Though Eric isn't unpopular because of his status on the hockey team, this is the group he spends his time with. As a group we could well be outsiders at school.
Of course there are also various personal grudges like Sabine's aunt's Christian group.

Rllbbryn sent a note to bowlofspinach
Jun 16, 2021 12:52 pm
Side note, best try to avoid OOC tags within Notes. If they're at the end of the note, it's not a problem, but closing an OOC tag also closes the Note, making everything after it visible to everyone (even if the person writing the post doesn't see it like that). I think the same thing happens with Spoilers inside Notes but I'm not sure. It's safest to just avoid anything more complicated than bolding or Italics inside a Note, just to be safe.
Jun 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Just to confirm, what is everyone's ages? I think Mikael is the baby in the group, as I have him at 15 years old.
Jun 16, 2021 3:55 pm
Mikael: 15
Yumin: 17
Sabine: 17
Eric: 16
Jun 16, 2021 5:47 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Mikael: 15
Yumin: 17
Sabine: 17
Eric: 16
Yikes. Talk about an uphill battle to be a snobby brat. I foresee a lot of eyerolling in Mikael's future.
Jun 16, 2021 7:12 pm
I think we should be all good to start with the "Introducing the Teens" scenes tomorrow. I'll set them up.

KCC, if you have a moment, maybe you can look over the questions I sent you again.

Plus, if everyone could tell me where about they live, whether in Stenhamra or outside. If you live outside of the city, it'll be towards the north and no farther up than Sånga-Säby.
Jun 16, 2021 7:14 pm
Sabine will be 18 in six months from our start date and Kajsa will turn 17 in three months.
Jun 16, 2021 7:15 pm
Sabine lives in Stenhamra.
Jun 16, 2021 8:27 pm
About the Friction (Sabine's view point)
OOC:
One of Sabine's key skills is empathize
I can empathize with everyone else's feelings and situations, but Kajsa is my girl friend. Not because of money or its the IN thing to do, but because we genuinely love each other and understand each other's needs. Our relationship is not dependent on winning some kind of game or demeaning others for the sake of ending up on top. I can only hope that our friends can respect that.
Jun 17, 2021 1:59 am
Eric also lives in Stenhamra.

KCC

Jun 17, 2021 3:34 pm
KCC sent a note to bowlofspinach
Yumin and her family probably live in a very respectable, standard house in the main town. Being outsiders was a little less outsidery when there was the chance of spotting another person floating around!
Last edited June 17, 2021 3:36 pm
Jun 17, 2021 6:00 pm
Mikael will reside outside of town, just north along Torslunda gårdsväg, taking the bus to get to school (begrudgingly) until his parents get him a car.
Last edited June 17, 2021 6:04 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.