[Closed] A Little Homebrew Adventuring

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 5, 2021 5:45 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c7/3f/1f/c73f1fbe1933a863567a12161454a86d.jpg

Hey there, everybody.

In a random twist of fate, I have decided to try out something (for me) completely new!

I have very little experience with 5e, having joined a few games of it on here but none that lasted very long and never having played it live before. Still, I think I get the gist of how it works from my experience with adjacent systems and I just bought the core rulebook.
I've written a short adventure to run through and am looking for around four players for it. I'd like to get a nice mix of newer and older members of GP with any level of experience with the system. I won't really be able to teach the system as my knowledge of it doesn't run very deep myself but lack of experience with the game is no issue as long as you have access to the rules.
We will be starting at level 1 but leveling up at a ridiculously fast rate and then finishing the game at level 3. That way, character creation should be easy for everyone, including new players, and we still get to see some light character advancement.

What I am looking for is a pretty generic "D&D" experience. No court intrigue, no grimdark world, just a bunch of colorful adventurers coming together, being hired for a job and then using their skills, swords and brains to overcome the challenges along the way.
This game will contain combat but it will be a minor focus. I'm more interested in character play, so...

https://i.imgur.com/3K2l9M7.png

I'm hoping to play this entire game to its finish in a reasonable time frame, rather than having it go on forever, so I am looking for people who can commit to about one post per day.
I'm not requiring it but I would prefer if every player had access to the official Gamers Plane Discord for some quick questions or clarifications at a faster pace than a forum allows.
This game is explicitly friendly to LGBTQ+ and any other minorities or marginalized groups and will make use of safety tools to ensure every player feels comfortable.

In order to apply, post either in this thread or send me a private message with a rough character concept that goes beyond just a race/class combination. What makes your character interesting? Keep in mind, though, that you're level 1 at the start of the game, so you won't be renowned dragonslayers or heroes of legends yet.
Those concepts don't have to be finished and set in stone yet and if you get accepted to the game, you'll also still be free to choose something else after all if you had a better idea by then. I'm also not expecting fully written out backstories or anything, just a sentence or three to give me and others an idea of what you have in mind.

I will keep applications open until the end of the week and then be selecting players primarily based on these character concepts, while ensuring (if the applications allow it) that I have a mix of older and newer members of this site in the party.

If this sounds interesting to you, feel free to apply.
I'm looking forward to gaming with you all, in this game or others in the future :)
Last edited July 9, 2021 3:59 pm
Jul 5, 2021 6:25 pm
Meet Carsia
"Welcome to Bame, my little tavern," a tiny lady looks up from behind a tall bar "anything you need I've got it," she smiles and when she does her eyes close, suddenly a Fight breaks out
"Get outa here," She yells here hands fly to a staff and she throws out vines which restrain the Brawlers.
Crippled and tired She walks down the road first she lost here tavern and now despite wanting otherwise she was Exiled from her town she tried to laugh it off when the Mayor had accused her of the Murder but it had come out as a Cackle they all thought she was a witch now. It was true the boy had been poisoned, it was true that he had eaten at her tavern but she was certain those two Incidents were not connected, She probably could have even found the Murder for them if they'd asked but instead they turned and told her she'd done it so Goodbye Carisa was off to find a new home.
[ +- ] Carsia

don't know where things would go from there guess it all depends on where we start the game.
Class: Druid
Race: Any except elf.
OOC:
It should be noted that I've been on GP since March 31, 2021 am currently in 6 games and am GMing 1 of them, and lost two games recently.
Last edited July 8, 2021 4:27 pm
Jul 5, 2021 6:25 pm
I would like to join please... I have a character idea for a Dragonborn that was raised by a Dwarven clan due to some circumstances...thus he acts more like a dwarf than his true race...I don't know if there's a background applicable for that in anywhere so I would like to discuss with in creating a custom background if you agree...otherwise I'm just fine with the standard rules...I just want to learn how to play...thx in advance^^
Last edited July 6, 2021 6:41 pm
Jul 5, 2021 8:40 pm
Is this more of an experimental game concept or more of a learning process? I ask because I would love to get in on this, but while I have about 33 years of D&D experience (and a good chunk of it in 3.5), I have no understanding of the 5th edition rules. I can play a character and RP the hell out of them, but as far as the 5th Edition rules; I'm at a complete loss.

Is this something that you would be willing/able/interested in helping with, or would you rather someone more familiar? I'm good either way- I just need to know if I should be excited or not.
Jul 5, 2021 8:50 pm
@Demagor: As I said, I'm pretty new to 5e myself so I won't be teaching the rules (though I will try to help where needed). But it is open to any level of experience, from 5e veterans to total newbies, as long as you have access to the rules and will try to figure things out as we go along.

@mormegil: I won't be using homebrew content for this game (would actually prefer to stick with the core options mechanically but will allow other stuff if really wanted). But I'm sure that concept can easily be played with only official material. You can have a dwarven backstory even if your mechanical Background doesn't explicitly mention it.

@Koldik: That is a good point. Your characters will all be classic traveling adventurers meeting on the road, so your concepts should work for that.
Jul 5, 2021 9:04 pm
@bowlofspinach
I just fear that at my age, I can be taught but I don't do so well when I need to learn on my own. I'd really like to give this a shot, especially in a scenario and opportunity where I can grow along with the rest of the folks, but I would hate to be the guy who makes the commitment, feels overwhelmed, confused and utterly perplexed, then abandons the game. I guess I could go in as a fighter; that's a simple enough class to learn with, no? Or have things changed that much?

The really embarrassing part is that I purchased the nice 3-book set, complete with that nice hard-cover sheath and the screen. I can reference stuff, but... it all seems so overwhelming. It seemed easier when I was younger and my mind clearer. Age sucks,
Last edited July 5, 2021 9:49 pm

Len

Jul 5, 2021 9:21 pm
@Demagor: you are in luck because there is a YouTube channel that teaches you how to play 5th Edition dungeon and dragons. Think of it like Bob Ross's "The Art of Painting" but for playing D&D instead of painting. Check out their "quick build" sections for getting a character up and running swiftly, and then check out their short videos to understand individual topics, either before or when they come up.

It's called Handbooker Helper and it's done by the cast of Critical Role, a famous D&D live-streamed game. I think you'll like it!

If you still have questions, feel free to join the discord and ask in the D&D channel, we'll help you out in a hurry.

https://media2.gmgroup.be/Bob-Ross-believe.gif
Jul 5, 2021 10:53 pm
I have a warlock concept in mind if this is still open.

thinking this is my patrons looks running as great old one tho
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/04/1a/8e/041a8ebeeae4eaa60421f30db3380a9b.jpg

my warlock: Auras The Sage of The Shadowed Ones has a few interesting quirks such that her eyes glow in the dark, and they are completely white. she comes from a long line of warlocks who have served the shadowed ones for eons. she travels at the behest of her patron and has since become a food critic, tasting all sorts of food and drink. She hopes to record the true history the world as forgotten and taste all the food and flavors the world has to offer.
Last edited July 6, 2021 7:14 pm
Jul 5, 2021 11:47 pm
How is this one looking Bowl? Like Demagor I’m a 5e noob, but have been trying to get into a game.
Jul 6, 2021 3:47 am
As I said, I'm keeping the applications open until the end of the week and will then choose so you have time to get an application in.
And I'm also a 5e noob, so you'd be in good company
Jul 6, 2021 5:35 am
Hmm. Blind leading the Blind. Hope there isn't any cliffs nearby.
Jul 6, 2021 5:59 am
I'm interested in this. I'm new to GP, but somewhat experienced with 5e. I'm actually in that game that Koldik is dming. Do you have room for a human rogue. I grabbed some material from some of the other official books, like he has a feat from Tasha's and a background from Saltmarsh. He didn't choose the crime or the adventure that his crimes forced him toward. He would really just like to start his own restaurant. One day?
Jul 6, 2021 8:58 am
Welp, I was gonna put forward my rogue character, but I don't want to overshadow raven's. I'll also keep a new character idea out of this due to it sounding a bit much, since it involves artificers. I'll put a few options for perusal below.
Otherwise, Ive been around the site for a bit, so I'd be on the "experienced" side of things, especially with 5e.
[ +- ] Lilith
[ +- ] Jack
[ +- ] Pan
Jul 6, 2021 5:36 pm
Demagor says:
Is this more of an experimental game concept or more of a learning process? I ask because I would love to get in on this, but while I have about 33 years of D&D experience (and a good chunk of it in 3.5), I have no understanding of the 5th edition rules. I can play a character and RP the hell out of them, but as far as the 5th Edition rules; I'm at a complete loss.
Dang, 33 years, you must almost remember first edition. 😁 This interests me as well but I don’t want to take anyone’s spot. I’ve never played 5th Edition. I might have a copy of the PHB somewhere.
Jul 6, 2021 6:02 pm
Chip Dugger
Gnome
Fighter

General Idea
He is just terrible at fighting but really wants to be a hero. When rolling for stats everything will be as pathetic as possible in stats that matter for a fighter. Coming from a small hill town in the middle of nowhere, Chip has dreamed of being a mighty warrior all his life but he is short (even for a Gnome) and not particularly strong but that wont stop this gnome's can-do attitude and gumption to take on the scariest of situations and fulfill his dreams.
Jul 6, 2021 6:51 pm
jackwolfking says:
Oh bowl how are we starting? In a tavern or inn I assume
I just got this question on the GP Discord and thought I'd answer it here for everyone to see.

For one reason or another, you all are joining a caravan to get to a small, fairly isolated town. I'd be up for discussing your individual motivations with you but my idea is that you all have some small quest that leads you there (some may have the same, but most probably different ones) - nothing big just "Check in if my uncle is okay" or "Pick up this item for me". Mostly just an excuse for you to join this caravan where you'll run into each other and start an adventure :)
Jul 6, 2021 8:19 pm
Ever since Tasha's introduced the Unarmed Fighting style, I've had the idea of a pugilist that doesn't use the Monk.
I've built a character idea in my mind of a father of two, who provides for his family by fighting in a semi legal fighting ring.
When this is shut down by law enforcement, he turns to adventuring, perhaps his first gig is guarding a caravan.
He sends part of the money he makes back home and will try to be able to provide for his family.

Mechanically this would be a Human Barbarian with the Unarmed Fighting Style (through a feat). Lots of grappling as well probably, holding enemies in place so his friends can take care of them.

I am rather experienced in 5e, so if you'd like to give the spot to a more inexperienced player, I'll totally understand that~
Jul 6, 2021 8:46 pm
Hindleg is a halfling bard with an entertainer background. He's a gently spoken raconteur. He has only one arm, and his early onset cataracts mean he finds it difficult to see in dim light.

He's not a horny, rapier-wielding, rockstar bard - more of a kindly old uncle with a thousand stories to tell.
[ +- ] Too much intro
Jul 7, 2021 5:02 am
General Idea: Nyria was a hedge witch, except she wasn’t. She’d tried a number of times to explain that she was a Sorceress but no one wanted to listen, or maybe they just didn’t care. If you had a broken pot, hoe or shovel you brought it to Nyria and she fixed it. She could even fix broken people too, sometimes, if they weren’t to broke. The problem was Nyria was a Tiefling and no one knew exactly where these powers came from, but for a handful of copper coins she could fix your cauldron and in the end that was all that really mattered to most people. One old lady she’d fixed a kettle and a burnt hand for had said at the right angle she could see Nyria’s halo.

Nyria is a Divine Soul - Tiefling sorceress.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.