Chapter 1: Menace Under Otari

Jul 9, 2021 12:29 am
The small seaside town of Otari is known for its fresh fish and skilled sailors, but above all, it’s a big logging town, providing valuable wood to the nearby metropolis of Absalom. But for you, Otari is home. You grew up playing on the docks, getting lost in the nearby woods, and hearing the fantastical stories of travelers from faraway lands, tales of terrifying dragons and virtuous knights. Such adventure always seemed so distant—until today!

Word has begun to spread around Otari that there’s a problem down at the Otari Fishery. Some are saying that some sort of beast is lurking in the basement, feeding on the stores of salted fish. Folks are worried that whatever is eating the fish might get hungry enough to eat the fishers next!

You’ve received a letter from Tamily Tanderveil, the owner of the Fishery. Inside is a desperate plea for help. With the town guard busy protecting the loggers, she needs a few brave souls to venture down into the basement of her warehouse and put an end to the beast that’s feasting on her fish! Do you have the courage to face the menace under Otari?
Jul 12, 2021 9:10 pm
OOC:
Alright guys, it's time to get going on this! At the moment, you stand at the top of the stairs leading down into Tamily's basement, getting ready to investigate. Go ahead and introduce yourselves
Jul 12, 2021 11:22 pm
Valeros looks down the stairs and readies his shield, double checking the bindings on his forearm. "You're right, Merisiel, it does smell like the soup from that inn, the Wayward Lamb. What did you call it? The Seaweed Lamb? Ha!"

Valeros is big and tall with a pleasant temperament. His longish dark hair and sharp features give him a suave look of a conartist, but he is definitely more wholesome than Merisiel likely prefers. Still he gets along with her and Kyra with a natural brotherliness he feels to many outgoing women. Ezren he enjoys trading wit with the uncautious swordsman often loses those battles to the quick thinking wizard. Often meaning always.

He's got his shield ready, his sword near to hand. Given his way, he would kick the door open and below a challenge to whatever fel beast haunts the cellar. He'll take advice on a better approach, should such be offered.
Jul 13, 2021 12:20 am
Ezren stands a short distance behind the fighter, standing a full head and half shorter than the man. He takes a deep whiff of the air. "Oh my," he says wrinkling his nose in disgust, "Much akin to that fetor that permeates when you shed your armor after a day of hiking in the swamp, my dear Valeros. That said, terrible but tolerable." Ezren laughs lightly before somewhat more seriously adding, "I assume there are rats down here, eh?"

His eyes go distant as he stares into the basement. "Of course there are rats. There's always rats - isn't that how this sort of thing goes?" he mumbles to nobody in particular. He holds his staff in both hands in front of him, with a crossbow strapped to his back and a quiver of bolts at his belt. Pockets, pouches, and scroll tubes adorn his outfit as if decorated for a festival.

Ezren wipes his hands on his clean, blue and white robes and stands there, considering. Old, as adventurers go, he considers the darkness with wizened, almost tired eyes before drawing a glyph in the air and muttering an enchantment. He places his hand on the end of his staff and the entire item alights, stretching to stymie the darkness and a slight, magical breeze causes his long white beard to briefly flutter.

"Sigh," he says, "On with it, I suppose."
OOC:
Casting spell, Light, on his staff and holding it aloft so we can see as we descend.

KCC

Jul 13, 2021 12:42 am
Merisiel fiddles with her knives. Her actions are practiced, automatic. Each knife returns to its proper place on her person once she’s finished her inspections. The tall elf peers down into the gloom. It’s not the first time she’s crept into a basement, though those previous times held more promise, and less rotting, surrendered fish.

She sniffs in deeply:

"Stinks. Fish and dung and stale air.

But enough about you, Valeros…"
she smirks mischievously.

"Rats. Could be rats. Or it could be rats!" she holds her hands wide apart to denote a large sized rodent.
Jul 13, 2021 7:01 am
Ezren shakes his head at Merisiel's suggestion of oversized rodents. "Oh Merisiel, how is it you always brighten my mood? Truly, I appreciate your wit, ever as sharp as those knives." He cracks a an amused smile. "Just have those blades ready, rumors are that Kortosian rats have a taste for elf flesh. I'll make sure to give you plenty of room to work."
Last edited July 13, 2021 7:01 am
Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm
'I would hope that they would have checked if it was just rats before asking for help, but imagination and rumours do like to spiral.' Kyra checks that her shield is firmly strapped to her arm. 'Dawnflower, guide our step. ' She whispers to her shield, causing it to glow similarly to Ezren's staff. More light never hurt.

'The important question is if it is rats which will run out first, rats or Meri's knives?' She gives a slight smile as she draws her scimitar, her spell now cast.

'Valeros shall I lead? Or have you got that door kicking itch again?'
Jul 13, 2021 3:57 pm
"Well, I do. But let me try the latch first. Goodman Tanderveil would likely appreciate a working door when we're done. Ready yourselves, my friends, danger is a foot!"

His sword sheathed, he opens the door a crack, making sure that it will open freely before drawing the blade, throwing it open and rushing ten feet in.
Jul 14, 2021 12:12 am
The stairs leading into the basement of the Otari Fishery creak with age as you make your way downstairs to find the beast that has been eating all the fish. In the center of the room, between stone pillars holding up the fishery overhead, are barrels filled with salted fish. Two of these barrels have been smashed open, spilling their contents on the floor. In the east wall is a large hole, opening into darkness.

Just a few hours ago, you gathered with a few other adventurers in the office of Tamily Tanderveil’s office, where she offered you ten gold pieces each if you could put an end to this menace. She was thrilled when you agreed to help her with this simple task, but as you make your way downstairs, you can’t help but wonder if this might be a lot more adventure than you bargained for.

Map
OOC:
You have full control over the map, so you can move your tokens as you wish. Decide what you wish to do and then move your token to where that action would take you.

We are in what's known as "Exploration Mode". The linked page explains a little bit about it and lists some common actions to take during exploration mode. You aren't limited to those actions, however. What you are doing during exploration mode will affect how you interact with combat should it come up. It will affect what type of roll you make for initiative as well as your location in the area and what you may have in hands when a fight breaks out.

Please let me know if my explanations get a little bit verbose, just trying to explain not only the mechanics, but some of the reasoning or my thoughts on it
Jul 14, 2021 12:59 am
Valeros skids to a stop and then rushes to the hole. Shield out, sword drawn, he listens for the threat behind but guards against the threat that may ambush them from the hole. "I've got the tunnel, you ladies mind clearing the room?"

Listening and watching the darkness.
OOC:
Exploration Activity: Defend
Last edited July 15, 2021 9:00 am

KCC

Jul 14, 2021 4:55 am
Merisiel slinks by the fighter as he guards the tunnel entrance. She unsheathes a knife as she does so, just in case. She scans the barrels, and the floor looking for tracks. She hopes to see the tell-tale signs of the small rat claws, but the smashed barrels tell a different story.

"We should get a light down that tunnel! Whatever did this may not be too far."
Jul 15, 2021 4:55 am
"That...is an awfully large hole," Ezren announces despite everyone clearly seeing it. "The good news, everyone - probably not a rat. The bad news, if it is a rat, we're doomed." He walks throughout the room, glancing around for anything of interest - anything out of place or that he might use to gleam some knowledge of the foe they hunt.
OOC:
Exploration Activity: Investigate
He circuits the room and looks for a small object he can pick up. Before long he reaches the mouth of the tunnel, standing next to Valeros. "Hmm..." he intones, "Don't much care for anything that can make this." He waves his hand in the direction of the opening.

He sets his staff into the crook of his elbow and waves his empty hand at the small object he picked up earlier. The object begins to radiate light as the light from his staff fades. He tosses the small object into the darkness ahead and readies his staff.
Last edited July 15, 2021 5:00 am
Jul 15, 2021 5:23 pm
'A rat that big? We will be fine. It can still only eat us one at a time.' Kyra turns to focus on the room placing her sword away to have a hand free. She trusted Valeros to watch the tunnel, or at least last long enough for her to get the Scimitar out.

'If it is a rat of that size, then nature did not get it that way. Sarenrae, please help me see the truth' She whispers to her holy symbol before looking up to scan the room for any magical auras, even as Meri looks for more mundane signs.
OOC:
Exploration Activity: Detect Magic
Last edited July 15, 2021 5:23 pm
Jul 15, 2021 9:21 pm
Valeros moves over to the hole in the wall and waits for his companions to search the area. He has his shield out and ready to defend. Just in case...

Merisiel moves about the room, looking for tracks, but the recent dust and debris covers up any clear signs of what might have done this. It would appear that the wall was broken from the other side, however, as most of the debris is in this room.

Ezren looks about the place and, with his limited knowledge of fisheries, feels like this is a pretty standard operation.

Kyra opens herself to the emanations of magic, but doesn't detect anything magical about this place or its contents.
OOC:
The "Investigate" action allows a Recall Knowledge check to try to discover information about your area. Recall Knowledge is what's called a 'Secret' check, which means that the GM rolls it for the player so that they don't know what the result is. Other common example of 'Secret' checks are Perception and Stealth. Basically it comes down to "Would knowing the result of this immediately affect my next steps?"

If the answer is yes, then chances are that it's a secret roll. If you look at the skill actions, such as those under Stealth, you'll see that several of them have a tag above them that says 'Secret'
A strange chittering comes from the hole in the wall. Suddenly, a massive rat the size of a dog emerges from the darkness—and it isn’t alone! The giant rats rush toward you, their huge teeth snapping.
OOC:
It's time to roll initiative! As I mentioned earlier, initiative can be rolled in more than one way, but the standard is for everyone who will be engaging in combat to roll a Perception check to determine their place in the initiative order.

What you're doing during Exploration Mode can change this. An example would be if you were sneaking through a dungeon, you might get to use Stealth as your initiative roll.

Since no one was doing any of that, though, everyone will roll Perception for their place in initiative.
Map
Jul 15, 2021 11:01 pm
Rats!

Rolls

Perception for Initiative - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Jul 15, 2021 11:06 pm
OOC:
Should have placed bets on whether it was rats :P

Rolls

Initiative (Perception) - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

KCC

Jul 15, 2021 11:11 pm
OOC:
Rolling!

Rolls

1d20+7

(20) + 7 = 27

Jul 15, 2021 11:58 pm
Ezren's eyes roll so hard, it could be hear on the other side of Otari. 'Of course it's rats. It's always rats in places like this!' He readies his staff, unsure of what to do next as he watches the scurrying forms approach.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Jul 16, 2021 12:12 am
Initiative Order
27 - Merisiel
24 - Giant Rats
19 - Valeros
15 - Ezren
8 - Kyra
OOC:
During a turn, each creature gets 3 actions that they can take. Gone are the days of standard, swift, move, etc actions. Everything you do simply takes a number of generic actions. There is a list of basic actions you can take on your turn. In addition to these, there are skill actions you can take. On top of all of that, your class likely provides a number of specialized actions you can take! These will be listed in your character sheet as well as the class entry in the rulebooks.

The most common basic actions are Stride (move up to your speed) and Strike (make an attack), which each take one action. Yes, this means that you can Strike three times in one round if you so choose! To balance this, there is a thing called a Multiple Attack Penalty, which is basically a stacking penalty to your roll if you attack more than once in a round.

Spellcasting is its own thing and most spells take more than one action to cast, though there are exceptions. See the spell entry (linked in your character sheets) to find out how many actions a spell takes.

There are also Reactions that you can take in response to triggers during the turn. You only get one Reaction per round, so use it well.

With all of that out of the way, Merisiel is up and can act :)

KCC

Jul 16, 2021 5:46 am
Merisiel rounds the barrels and steps in behind the fighter and wizard. She places her hand on the fighter’s shoulder and moves Valeros to the side to give her a better shot at the rats. She tosses a knife at the leftmost rat as it clambers through the hole!

"Ugh! That explains the smell!"

She grits her teeth and sends a second dagger flying at the other rat!
Last edited July 16, 2021 5:49 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Damage - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Second Attack - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Second Damage - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.