Part Two: Summer Camp

load previous
Sep 10, 2021 7:52 am
When the bell goes, when the kids are all let out for Christmas vacation, Em is nowhere to be seen. The throngs clear, the hallways empty, the schoolgrounds eventually grow quiet. And that's when her friends finally spot her. She sits alone, cross-legged on the ground, looking down at the brown grass as a wind stirs her messy, dark hair. She's Morgan again -- the narrow shoulders, the pale complexion, the boyish build, the mop of unkempt hair.

Her expression is pensive and contemplative, even dejected and depressed as she seems unaware of the world around her.
Sep 10, 2021 12:29 pm
Georgie vomits in the boys room stall and then washes his face. He stares at his pudgy features, his fingers probing his flesh. He's strong again, not as weak and fragile as Rey's body made him feel.

Strong. Like a killer.

His gorge rises again. He has to go check on Asimov, see if Hernandez (dry heaves) is in there. Then, the horse. Em knows where it is, he thinks.

Em. Is she going you leave him for the popular kids? She has had a taste of what that feels like. Will she pursue that?

Andy and Jaden didn't seem all that affected, but Mikey, something very troubling was going on. He focuses on the other boy, trying hard not to think about what he did. Just forget, okay?

He dried his hands with a paper towel.

When Mikey asked, he replies, "Yeah, I'm me again, too. Are you okay, Mikey? We should talk."

As they go outside, he sees Em sitting alone. He wants to ... what? He's just a kid, he doesn't know. So he sits beside her quietly.

"I want to go see that horse, that was stolen. Maybe it's not stolen now. Or someone else stole it. Maybe that's its Christmas destiny, to always be stolen, haha. Funny."
Sep 10, 2021 12:39 pm
"I don't know, Georgie. I'm me again, I guess. But I don't really feel okay." He lets out a long sigh but then just shrugs. "Thanks for sticking with me back then. You're a good friend."

He follows Georgie outside and is surprised when he mentions the horse. "You think of everything," he says. "But youre right, we should check that out. Things will happen differently now that we know what's going to happen." He sits down next to Em and Georgie and says: "If my parents tell me to go to this camp again this summer, I'll tell them no. Being Devon once was enough for me."
Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm
"Devon wasn't so bad. What made you feel bad about it? I mean Rey was so weak throughout. I think it was malnutrition or something. Even sitting still was tiring."
Sep 10, 2021 4:39 pm
"Devon was... He was just really wrong, you know?", Mikey says. He glances at Em but she doesn't seem in a mood to talk so Mikey just keeps her included so that if she wants to speak up, she can. "It's hard to say exactly. He was tall and strong and good looking I guess. But I just felt so uncomfortable in that body. It's like, he's exactly the opposite of how I want to be." He shrugs. "That probably doesn't make much sense. But I would have preferred Rey I think. Or any of those bodies. Any except Devon."
Sep 10, 2021 4:57 pm
A scruffy looking young man exits the school now that most of the kids have left the building. He stops just outside the door; he looks like he's trying to find someone and then appears like he spotted them.

He appears angry, his eyes locked onto Mikey and Spud.

"You brats! You just had to mess with my machine, didn't you? And to be stuck in a boy's body of all things?"

He came even closer, right at arm's length from the two boys. He reaches out and grabs both of their shoulders.

"You are going to regret making it back alive! And you know what's even better right now?...

"The look on your face! Hahahaha!

Jaden hugs Mikey and Georgie and begins to jump up and down.
"We made it guys! It feels so good to be back now, if you catch my drift."

He spots Morgan brooding alone a bit further and rushes towards her. He lifts her up in the air and shouts:

"Em! My beautiful, smart and brave Em! It's so good to see you again. If I didn't I might just break your nose or something, ya know?" Jaden just grins at her for a bit, then he rushes back to the two boys, Morgan still held up in the air.

"Look who I got over here!" he says as he gets to the boys. "I still can't believe we made it! Whoo-hooo!"
Last edited September 10, 2021 4:58 pm
Sep 10, 2021 5:17 pm
The last thing Andy remembers is the straps cutting into him and glancing at Robin and then bam, here he was back at school, hands over his ears. Em is no longer Robin, and she's sitting apart from the rest of the group.

"You're all you again!" he blurts out to his friends, his hands immediately rushing to his hair and face but he can't see himself. His hair does feel shorter and not as coarse. "Are my freckles gone! Are they? Am I me again? Tell me I'm me again! Please."

Never had he been so happy to see his school and his friends and decided then and there that he would never attend any kind of camp again.
Sep 10, 2021 9:33 pm
Em says nothing as Georgie joins her, as Mikey sits down on the grass too. As they talk, the girl keels over backwards onto her back, where she lays silently in the grass, looking up at the clouds, high overhead. She frowns and closes her eyes when Jaden arrives and jokes loudly with the boys. She just want to block it all out. She just wants to--

Suddenly the pleated-skirt-wearing dark-haired girl is airborne, airborne and being swung around and squeezed. She's like a rag doll in the boy's grip, and her thin limbs flail around comically as Jaden parades her around, more jubilant than any of them. When Andy arrives, his clueless and energetic self, Em's eyes open and then narrow at the boy. Her feet are suspended a foot from the ground by Jameson, but a strong bite on the older boy's forearm solves that problem and he drops her, exclaiming and holding his arm.

Morgan promptly lays back down, flat on her back, and closes her eyes. Not saying a word.
Sep 11, 2021 4:41 am
Seeing Em refuse to engage even after Jaden's energetic attempt to include her worries Mikey. He scoots closer to her and puts a hand on her shoulder. "Are you okay, Em?", he asks. "If you miss being Robin, you really shouldn't. You're way cooler than her." He pauses and glances over at Andy, then he leans in and whispers to her: "And if Andy doesn't like you like this, he's an asshole with no taste anyway so you shouldn't be sad about that."
Sep 11, 2021 5:29 am
"Ouch! That was uncalled for!" said Jaden rubbing his arm.

"Time travel got me hungry, I'll tell you that. Wanna head out to the hideout, eat some snacks and talk about this?My guitar! Oh I've missed my guitar! What do you say guys, are you coming?"
Sep 11, 2021 5:54 am
Em opens her eyes when Mikey speaks to her, and they're looking at one another upside down, her flat on her back and him kneeling near her head. She blows a strand of hair from her face, then quietly says, "Did that really happen? Are we really here? How do we know this isn't some... dream or hallucination? That... this is even our time? It's not, I don't think. Things feel different, Mikey. Things are different."

And that's when Em's backpack jostles a little from something inside it.

"Milo!" she says, bolting upright and then crawling for her pack. Quick as that her rat is out and on her shoulder, sniffling at her affectionally. "Missed you," she whispers.

KCC

Sep 12, 2021 11:55 pm
It’s a difficult thing, to find people that you really don’t know all that well. You scour the class photos on the school wall from way back when. You ask strange and prying questions to the local librarian-cum-archivist. You hassle the folks at the local paper for stories about incidents at a summer camp in 1969. You thumb through the phone book.

Devon
"We have a report on the school’s history due next week, Principal Anderson."
This is the excuse you give when the principal asks as to why you are prowling the halls after school hours looking at all the faces of the past pupils. You squint, for hours, trying to catch a face in the crowds, until you spot him. Devon! You’re sure of it. He made the football team a few years after Mikey inhabited him. His size makes Mikey wince. Big, and wide with a shaved head and a square jaw. Football was Devon’s ticket out of this place, and he left the city a few years later once school was through. He joined one team or another for a few years, earning middling success but never striking gold. He doesn’t live in, and hasn’t been back to, Boulder for a good long while!

Rey
You search and search for any trace of the boy Rey. Nothing. Eventually, you strike upon an idea and you make your way back to the summer camp grounds. Its abandoned at this time of year. Abandoned, save for the solitary light you see on in one of the buildings: evidence of a groundskeeper. You retrace your steps, and find yourselves back at the bunk house you all awoke in. Its cold, and empty when you sneak inside. It looks especially drab on an overcast day. You search the room over and eventually find some names carved into the woodwork.

Robin, Devon, Annie, Andy, Rey - 1969
Robin, Devon, Annie, Andy, Rey - 1970
Robin, Devon, Annie, Andy, Rey - 1971
Robin, Devon, Annie, Andy - 1972

They must have bonded over the experience themselves. Well, the other side of it...

Near the makeshift plaque that marks their 1972 attendance at the camp as a group is a small engraving with Rey's name inside, surrounded by a roughly carved heart with an arrow shooting through it. Its surrounded by, what look like each kids own attempt at, RIPs.

Andy
You manage to track down Andy’s old address having spoken to the lady that manages the desk at the local library. She knew a person who knew a person who knew a Mrs. Chin that lived in Boulder City years back. Having trekked half way across town for the information, you finally reach the place. It’s seen better days. An old beat up junker sits in the drive, and the trash can sits overflowing on the curb.

You make your way up to the door, carefully stepping between the overgrown front garden that has crept into the place previously reserved for the front path to the house. The man that answers looks as poorly as the house does. Mr. Chin, you eventually discover, and a divorcee. He tells you he hasn’t seen his wife or his son in about 15 years, give or take. She took him to the big city to see big city doctors about his brain. Kid kept on talking crazy about feeing like he was outside of his own body. Dad wanted to wait and see. Mom had seen and heard enough already.

The man shares more with you than you might expect. But then you smell him and peer behind into his house. It’s dark, and dingy and the man is clearly drunk just after lunch…

Last he heard, Andy Chin was doing better these days. Worked in some big bank somewhere. Still… he didn’t every come back to see his old dad in Boulder City.

Robin
Robin A. Woodsworthy as Mary Poppins
So reads the caption under one of the photos in the year book of ‘73. Robin, right there, in the lead roll and full costume! But it’s her. Unmistakable. Did anything ever come of such a prestigious breakout role? Not that you could find.

The old drama teacher seems quite bitter about it all when you gently inquire about her. The woman is ancient, and she knows every kid that’s come through this place in the last 35 years.

…Threw it all away. Could have done something worthwhile! Now, what?, she wipes the asses of folks older than me down at St Ann’s?…

Robin A. Woodsworthy still lives in Boulder City.

Annie
Annie didn’t much know how to fight, but she sure did learn quick. Once word got out that Annie had broken a kid’s nose at summer camp in 69, it all went a bit pear shaped for her. Of course, Karen wanted her revenge. One way or another, Annie always took care of business. She ended up getting booted from school a few years later. Self defense, she argued. But the school didn’t see it that way. No matter.

You retrace your steps over the course of the 1988 Christmas. You head back out to old Marge Nelson’s farm. The horse is still there. This time, Mikey doesn’t insult the hosts, and they invite you inside for some snacks and something to drink. As you sit awkwardly in the front room, sipping on lemonade you look around at how the years have accumulated around Marge and her partner, Joan. Paintings, books, newspapers, photographs.

In one of them, you see a far younger Marge and Joan standing outside their new plot of land, years back at this stage. In one such photo you see… a familiar face. An older Annie, scruffy looking in overalls and a plaid shirt, her hair tied up in a messy bun. She carries two great big buckets with her and dropped them at her feet when she posed for a photo with her two employers.

…funny girl, that Annie. Tough as anything. And a damn fine worker… She left us a few years after that. Said she wanted to try make a go of things herself off somewhere that wasn’t here… Can’t say I blame her…

You do not have permission to post in this thread.