Part Two: Summer Camp

KCC

Jul 16, 2021 2:51 pm
Saturday, July 15th, 1989
Roadrunner Cove Summer Camp
Boulder City, Nevada.

Six months, and life had returned to normal. Well, at least somewhat normal. Christmas break finished, and the long hike to summer began. Sure, you’d have breaks here and there. Maybe even a sick day or two. But months of school stretched out before you. And summer… summer was the real deal. That business with Cuckoo, while not forgotten about, took a back seat to school, and sports, and summer camp. You had coordinated. Approached it tactically. Asking parents when they were in a good mood if you could finally go this year. And they were only too happy to oblige! Weeks without a kid in the house? Too good of an opportunity to pass up, though they’d never let you see it like that. They made you work for it! Keep that room tidy. Mow that lawn. But finally, one by one, you were all confirmed. You’d be attending Roadrunner Cove Summer Camp.

And it’s the morning of the first day…
OOC:
A little personal scene to start. One that ends with you in the car park of the Camp Grounds!
Did any of your parents attend the camp in their younger days? They’d be only too happy for you to get a taste of the happiness and joy (and character building) that they experienced! It’s been around long enough! What do you bring with you? What activities are you most looking forward too? There will be a lot of kids, older and younger. Anything you are worried about?

… back in the summer of 69… oh man, we were killin’ time…
Jul 16, 2021 6:03 pm
After his complete breakdown on Christmas, Mikey has slowly been getting better again. School distracts him from his worries and concerns, even soccer isn't always terrible.
As long as he doesn't stop to think too hard, he's feeling alright.

His relationship with his parents, especially his dad, has worsened a lot, however. Mikey always knew that his dad would want him to be more like Andy - or ideally, he'd like to just trade Mikey in for Andy completely. And the more Mikey realizes that he doesn't even just want to be like Andy, the more that expectation bothers him.
Outside of soccer practice, Mikey and his dad barely ever talk anymore and when they do, they often butt heads about minor things. Mikey often hears his dad complain to his mom about him behind his back, wondering out loud what's wrong with their son.

At school, Mikey is becoming more erratic, behaving well and nice to others when he's having a good day and being really mean and even violent sometimes on a bad day. But only to outsiders. Since their adventure on Christmas, Mikey has been trying his best to be nice to his group of friends. Though he can't always keep himself from making snide remarks about Georgie or Em, he doesn't really bully them anymore like he used to.

- - -

When summer approaches, Mikey's dad one evening enters his son's room without knocking or asking and throws a flyer on the bed next to him. "Roadrunner Cove," he says. "You're going."

Mikey picks up the flyer. There are a group of kids in swim clothes playing around in the water on the front page. He frowns and pushes it away. "I don't want to."

"I don't care," Coach Rogan says firmly. "You're going. This will be good for you. Outdoor activity, some sports and sun. Rather than sitting in your room all day like a little b-"

"Dad," Mikey interrupts him. "I really don't want to go. I don't even know anyone there."

"You do," his dad says. "Andy is going. He mentioned it last practice. I thought it was a great idea. I used to go there, starting when I was your age until I got too old for it. We used to play lots of games and sports. Plus," He grins and hands Mikey the flyer again. "Lots of girls in swimsuits. I used to be quite popular back in the day. If you play your cards right, you will be as well. You'll forget about your Emma in no time there."

Mikey rolls his eyes. The last thing he wants to do is sit around in his swim shorts and watch some girls in swimsuits. The thought alone for some reason makes him uncomfortable deep in his stomach. Plus, why is his dad still going on about 'Emma'?
"Do I have to?", Mikey asks.

"Yes."

He frowns and then grumbles: "Fine..."

- - -

It's the first day of summer camp. Coach Rogan is driving in his car, the windows wide open and the radio blaring some song Mikey can't stand. He wants to punch someone but seeing as the only person with him is his dad, he can't. He punches his leg a couple of times until it hurts but that doesn't help.
"I think I can already see the campsite," Coach Rogan says. "Ah, this wakes memories. Trust me, son, when I come back to pick you up, you won't want to leave anymore."

Mikey sincerely doubts that but he just says: "Maybe. Thanks for driving me, dad."

The coach grins. "That's my boy," he says. He's trying really hard to hype Mikey up for this. As they drive onto the parking lot in front of the camp, he says: "Remember, if you want to be cool here, do some of the activities, but not all. Forget the girly stuff, like crafts or cooking or whatever, but join all the sports you can. And give it your all. Nobody likes a loser."

"I know, dad," Mikey replies, already decided in his mind that he's going to find the most girly activity he can find and join it, just to spite his father.
Jul 16, 2021 6:48 pm
Andy mostly loved school, except for math which he stunk at. Otherwise, his popularity as the soccer hero coupled with his strong grades in every other subject made him the kid people sought out whether it was for help with homework or just to be seen with the jock. Girls were beginning to mill around him more often too and he found that he liked the attention. His goal-scoring average had improved significantly making this school year a great success in every way.

Being the gregarious kid he was the prospect of a summer at camp excited him. There would be soccer as an opportunity for him to shine, swimming in the cove which sounded great as he loved to swim, and time away from home and parents. He couldn't think of anything better and was very excited to get started.

Right before they left for camp he grabbed his soccer ball and checked to make sure that his mom packed the cleats he had received for Christmas along with his favorite Manchester United shirt. He knew a few kids from school that were going to be there and he knew his friends would be too. On the last day he had overheard some of the older boys saying that a few of the girl counselors were hot and that anyone going to summer camp was lucky. This made him smile.

Throughout the year the events concerning the professor and the magnetrine had faded but were not forgotten. Anytime those memories surfaced he would shove them away and think of something else. That stuff was too scary to contemplate, so he didn't.

And so it was that he found himself in the car with his parents as they dropped him off at camp. He hopped out of the car so quickly when they pulled in that he almost forgot to say goodby to them. His mom still insisted on a kiss. What was he three? He hated that but there was no stopping that kiss from being planted on his cheek. His father offered a much more acceptable goodby with a handshake.

Be good, son. Don't get into any trouble, he said, while mom tearfully said, Don't forget to brush your teeth honey and write to us every week!

A few of the counselors helped with his bags (none of the hot ones) and that was it. He was here and he was ready to have fun!
Jul 16, 2021 7:59 pm
His wrist healed just fine, but still twinged. He wore the flack for all kinds of things, mostly an endless "jerking off" jokes that he didn't really get. His 12th birthday came and went, but it was all a blur with school and his secret project.

Everyday, he took an awkward way home, and stopped by Cuckoo Hernandez' place. It was growing wild, but Georgie trimmed the hedge a little, and mowed the lawn, keeping it up on appearances. Mostly, he was there for Asimov.

The killer robot was a wreck, and between his encyclopedia, the libraries (school and public), and trips to Radio Shack for parts, he was low on time when summer came. He was near to the limit of what he could do, but had learned so much about robotics and advanced microcircuitry.

School continued to be easier and easier. He devoured the lessons in class and spent little time outside of school working on the assignments. His jovial, joking self was disappearing, his deep introspection growing. The only thing that kept him from becoming a total loner were his friends. Andy had lightened up, Mikey was the opposite, and Georgie had absorbed Jaden's influence to deeply appreciate Bon Jovi, much to the rocker's inexplicable dismay. Em and him still met for books and bookclub. He had even borrowed her Mekton book, hoping to learn how to run a game for it.

When Roadrunner Summer Camp drew nigh, he worked fiendishly on his clever campaign, drawing on his vast reading experience to combine elements of poetry theory, mostly Deconstruction and Colonialism, with deep Thundercats lore to create original and outrageous mecha anime adventures.

His mother, increasingly becoming an alcoholic, was happy to pay for summer camp, delighted that sullen George was going to an effort to socialize, but Georgie suspected she would take a weeks holiday and drown her own misery in endless boxes of Baby Duck. He had no concept of how to handle that, or more appropriately when he could think it through, could see her side of it. How could he fault her when he himself was wallowing in a shadowy melancholy?

Maybe summer camp would be the boost he needed, to fix himself and his mother too!
OOC:
Tech +1, Luck -1
Jul 17, 2021 7:22 am
"Have fun, Em! We'll see you in a few weeks when we get back from our trip!"

Nancy is talking to her sullen niece through the rolled-down window of the car, one elbow resting on the big Impala wagon's door. Morgan wants nothing to do with Roadrunner Cove Summer Camp, but she waves at her aunt, does her best to smile, and then turns to walk across the dusty gravel parking lot, dragging an over-sized purple suitcase behind her. She has no real idea what the camp is like, but she's imagining lots of annoying jocks, popular girls, and kids who generally think she's weird and hard to talk to. Despite having turned twelve, Em is a "late bloomer," all skin and bones and nothing like the boob-equipped 13 and 14-year old girls at the camp she knows will turn Andy's head.

At least her friends are going to be here. Uncle's Ralph's ringing endorsement of the place didn't go very far with the girl, but once she heard that Georgie and the other boys were going... well, that made things more tolerable. Her bag is mostly full of comics, games and various craft / nerd activities -- things she plans on spending time with instead of whatever dumb program the councilors are planning on subjecting the kids to.

Em's aunt and uncle had first met at the camp, and her brow furrows as she remembers the story about them kissing in a canoe as she stumbles along, heading for her assigned cabin...
OOC:
Luck -1, Heart +1

KCC

Jul 17, 2021 10:39 am
One by you, you finally arrive. You pass under the wooden sign that reads Roadrunner Cove Summer Camp, and in smaller font underneath; 1954. It draws many a wistful, barely believing, remark from several parents as they drop off their children. The gravel yard in front of Roadrunner Cove’s main building is quickly filling up with badly parked cars, frazzled parents, nervous kids, and scattered suitcases. It feels like every kid in Boulder has been dumped here for the next few weeks!

A loud whistle cuts through the commotion.

"TEN-HUT!"

A hundred heads immediately snap in one direction to see who shouted the command. You see a stern looking woman approaching. Probably a few years older than your parents. Her hair is tied up in a tight bun, and her mouth is a tight line.

"I said TEN-HUT!"

She’s flanked by two younger, college-aged camp volunteers. A few of the attendees begin to shuffle into lines and look stiff. Slightly bewildered, they give this new authority what they hope she wants to see. A few of the parents giggle to themselves, and give each other side-eyes.

Adorable…

Others use it as their excuse to make a getaway! You’re on your own. Once you’ve stopped talking, and the woman has your full attention, she continues.

"I am Camp Leader Kim Johnson. You can call me Camp Leader Johnson. This… motioning the campsite at large … is Roadrunner Cove. Your home for the next four weeks! And these… she indicates the two younger people … are Joan Sheedy and Mark Hayley. Mrs Sheedy and Mr Hayley to you! They’ll see that you get settled in here tonight!"

Mark and Joan wave a kind of sympathetic wave. Kim paces in front of you all, sizing you up. She takes her time, demanding silence for maybe 30 seconds or so. She points down to the main building:

"Down there is the board with your schedule! If you aren’t where the board says you’re supposed to be, you’ll be on the first bus out of here. Is that understood? I hope so. Mr Hayley, Mrs Sheedy, anything to add?"

The two helpers shake their heads.

"Okay! Then I will see you all later for dinner! 6pm. Don’t miss it!" she blows the whistle again and exits, leaving you in the care of the two younger folk.

KCC

Jul 17, 2021 10:45 am
Joan and Mark begin to work their way through the crowd, settling nerves and reassuring parents that they could, in fact, leave.

Some of you overhear:

"Don’t worry about Camp Leader Johnson. She likes to make an impression."

And others:

"She’s even the camp nurse! She’ll take great care of you. Don’t worry!"

Eventually, they get you lined up and begin explaining rules, schedules and assigning sleeping quarters. You wait patiently as they shout:

"Jackdaws!" followed by several kids names. They filter out.

"Barn Owls!" and more kids filter out!

"Foxes!" more.

Finally you hear:

"Rattlesnakes. Moore. Rogan. Pom… Pompados. Davis. Jameson. You’re up!"

Seemingly, someone’s mother pulled a few strings to have you all bunk together. Probably the most nervous adult of the group.

You’re given the building number and left there in the gravel yard to find your own way. You’re told to find your bunk, unpack and make your way back to the main building in an hour’s time!
OOC:
How do you feel about things so far?
Jul 17, 2021 11:03 am
Mikey looks very unhappy with the speech that Camp Leader Johnson is giving, while his father gives a happy grin at it. He claps Mikey on the shoulder and says: "They'll whip you into proper shape, boy."
Mikey shrinks together even further. He already hates it here.

When Mrs Sheedy starts separating them into their sleeping quarters, Mikey's attention perks up. He gets to stay with all his friends? He was already preparing himself mentally to bunk with a bunch of sweaty and smelly jocks but this isn't even that bad. As he says goodbye to his dad and starts strolling around to search for the others, his cheeks flush when he realizes that Em is going to bunk with all the boys. Is that even legal?, he wonders.

When he runs into the others, he puts on an obviously forced smile and says: "Rattlesnakes? That's pretty cool, huh?" He turns to Georgie, consciously avoiding to look at Em. "Hey, Spud, are rattelsnakes poisonous?"
Jul 17, 2021 1:07 pm
Andy doesn't mind the sergeant major-like Camp Leader Johnson. He is used to that from soccer drills and is perfectly fine with it but he does notice the uneasiness making its way through the group of gathered kids. He shrugs it off thinking they'll surely get used to it.

When he hears the building numbers called out he is thrilled to hear that their group will be bunking together. Yay! he thinks. But Em is in there too? That's just weird. He tries to act cool though and basically ignores it when the group meets up and heads over to their building to claim their bunks.

How about that sergeant major Johnson, huh? She's all bark and no bite I bet.
Jul 17, 2021 2:03 pm
He waves good by to his mother, and asks her to be safe and to try to eat. She looks at him quizzically and then hugs him briefly before fleeing to her car before the tears start.

After the display, he doesn't mind that, and takes it seriously, his brain already counting the minutes until they need to be at the main building. He lifts his bag onto his shoulder and sees Em dragging a purple suitcase. He waves.

Georgie shakes his head at Mikey. "They're not poisonous unless you eat the head. Their bite is venomous though. Get it?" He laughs and pushes his friend lightly with his left hand, still protective of his right although it's long healed.

"I bet she has a venomous bite, too, Andy. I bet a chocolate bar that one of us finds out in the first week just how hard she bites."
Jul 17, 2021 2:11 pm
Oh man, I hope not Georgie, he gibes, because I wouldn't mind that chocolate bar.

Hey Em! The chocolate already forgotten, Andy offers to help her with her suitcase.
Jul 17, 2021 4:52 pm
Jaden was talking to no one in particular - he knew they'd be discussing over the same things probably tonight whilst in their bunks.

"And I got frozen right at the door! I mean, the seriousness at my dad's voice! And I sat down and dad went: My friend called me the other day and was all, what are you gonna do Kyle? The kids need to spend time with you Kyle, you can't be working 24/7 you know... And I was thinking... Maybe he's right... Well, he's definitely right... So I went looking for something else and fortune finally smiled at us son! It's nothing too big, but it has benefits and pays better! I won't be needing to pull double shifts to provide for you guys and we'll start spending more time together! I mean, that was unexpected! My dad was quite eager to get me to camp now that we can afford it! he said with a big grin. The camp and my new Ramones t-shirt! You likey-likey?

In his hands, a sack with his stuff and his school bag with "personal stuff, back off" as the label clearly stated; his trusty old tele
[ +- ] le tele
proudly mounted on his right shoulder. Heads were turning as they moved but he cared not; he knew that he and the rest of the Rattlesnakes had things to discuss sooner or later...
Jul 17, 2021 6:21 pm
After greeting her friends ("Hi Spud. Hi Mikey. Hullo Jaden. Hi Andy. Huh? Oh sure you can help..."), Em watches the 'opening ceremony,' such as it is, with a blank, dispassionate and supremely bored look on her face. Here they were in nature -- nature was awesome. And they were going to spend their time in stupid sports activities, horribly awkward social situations and other miserable events the girl would do her level best to avoid. She knew how to feign being sick with the best of them...

After Johnson finishes her 'speech,' Morgan's eyes are narrowed as Milo sits perched on one of her small shoulders. This was a woman to avoid. Or... take down.
Last edited July 17, 2021 6:22 pm
Jul 17, 2021 8:27 pm
Mikey looks up at Em finally and decides it's actually going to be really cool to be bunking together. Whoever decided that boys and girls have to sleep separately was an idiot anyway. What does it matter?
He notices Milo on her shoulder and grins. As he takes a step towards Em and stretches out a hand to the rat, he says: "You brought your rat? That's so awesome! I didn't know they allowed pets here!" Immediately, he adds: "Not that you'd care if they don't, right? You're too cool to stick to rules."
Jul 18, 2021 2:02 am
"Well," EM says meaningfully, "Milo isn't mine. He's not a pet. He just chooses to hang out with me."

There's a short moment where perhaps the boys wonder if the girl (who now sports a streak of blue hair) is being serious, but then she smiles a little and feeds the cute little guy a piece of cheese. "I mean -- the fromage helps..."
Last edited July 18, 2021 2:03 am

KCC

Jul 18, 2021 2:41 am
You eventually find your way to the house assigned to you. The board outside reads: Scorpions, Rattlesnakes, Bluejays, Caterpillars. Inside, you find 4 large bedrooms, and a common area with an old, beat up sofa, a table, and a sink. Prime real estate to play some games, if you can stake your claim before the other groups. Some children have already begun to unpack their stuff, with the Caterpillars looking less than pleased to miss out on being assigned something cool like Rattlesnakes or Scorpions. You file in and grab a bunk. Georgie counts down in his head and gives the group ample warning for when they need to be back at the main building. Just enough time to get settled, but not comfy…

You make your way back to the open area, and find Joan and Mark waiting there, clipboards in hand. Once everyone has been accounted for, they direct your attention to the schedule board behind them.

"Ahem… at 1 o clock…" Joan starts, until Mark gives her a nervous side-eye.

"Eh… at thirteen hundred… you’ll finish lunch and… well thats not for today." the girl is flustered for a moment. The reality of dozens of eyes resting on her makes her voice catch in her throat.

"N…now! At fourteen hundred, we have activity time. Until fifteen hundred and… thirty. 3:30, which is snack time. We’ll have fruit out here in the grass.

At 4 o clock, we’ll have another activity, and then dinner at 6, in the big tent. Tonight we’ll have sloppy joes! Mark’s speciality."
she blushes a little when she compliments him.

"After that… s’mores and ghost stories around the camp fire before lights out at 9:30!"

There’s a few moans from the crowd at such an early bed time. Mark blows a whistle and it cuts through the noise.

Joan resumes:

"Today, we need to prepare the campsite for tonight. Wood and rocks for the fire. Some of you will prepare ingredients in the kitchen, and… she winced, awaiting a reaction … some of you will dig the latrine trench."

A few outward giggles, but internal hope that your group won’t be assigned the mucking out duty.

KCC

Jul 18, 2021 2:45 am
You hear a whistle and your head turns to see Camp Leader Johnson approach. She doesn’t greet the group, but simply calls out:

"BUTTERFLIES. To the kitchen…" the younger children go wide eyed, but eventually file out.

"BLUEJAYS. With me. Rock duty… move it. Leeeet’s go!"

She looks at the remaining groups there. And whispers something to Joan and Mark.

KCC

Jul 18, 2021 2:49 am
Joan and Mark quickly dispatch the other groups to their assigned tasks until it’s just you and the Caterpillars left.

Firewood duty, or doody duty…

"A race!" Joan announces.

"To see which group has to grab a shovel…" she casts a sympathetic look to both groups.

A strong looking boy from the Caterpillars smirks, as he looks at the motley crew that make up the Rattlesnakes.

"I’m in…" he announces.
OOC:
Rattlesnakes: Who’s stepping forward to take on the Caterpillar champion?
Jul 18, 2021 7:28 am
Mikey eyes the competition. He's a pretty good runner and feels like he could probably win. But this is exactly the kind of thing his dad would have wanted him to do so he decides to let someone else have the glory.
Besides, Andy or Jaden are probably even better suited.

As they decide who should take up the challenge, Mikey leans over to Em and whispers: "You think you could send Milo on the track to startle the Caterpillar boy during the race? Just to give us an extra advantage."
Last edited July 18, 2021 7:28 am
Jul 18, 2021 1:59 pm
Latrine trench? Yuk! Andy scrunches up his face and can almost feel his stomach roil. But his disgust is replaced by intense attention at the mention of a race and more importantly a chance to get out of potential doody duty. Besides, that big kid needs to be taken down a peg.

Andy knows he is fit and fast, but is he fast enough to beat smirk-face over there.

Count me in too! he shouts, avoiding the big kid's eyes.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.