Halloween one-shots in PbP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jul 26, 2021 7:03 pm
No. You're not the only one.
Jul 26, 2021 7:07 pm
Adam says:
Is it just me who finds the Castle Ravenloft isometric map really difficult to follow?
Let me fix that in MS Paint for you.
Jul 26, 2021 8:34 pm
len says:
I've thought of the idea of doing a Hallowe'en one shot on pbp using D&D or similar variant. I would run the Ravenloft One-Shot as described by Sly Flourish, where Level 10 PCs start in Castle Ravenloft with the various anti-Strahd items of Ravenloft fame scattered randomly throughout Castle Ravenloft. In the in-person version, Strahd attacks at midnight however ready or not the party is. For PbP I'd start the game October 1st and Strahd would attack on October 31st, ready or not.
I also came actoss this some years ago: Strahd Must Die Tonight! How to Play Ravenloft in a Single Night I've never really gone through it though, so I don't know how different it is (if at all) from Mike Shea's.
Jul 26, 2021 10:59 pm
len says:
I've thought of the idea of doing a Hallowe'en one shot on pbp using D&D or similar variant. I would run the Ravenloft One-Shot as described by Sly Flourish, where Level 10 PCs start in Castle Ravenloft with the various anti-Strahd items of Ravenloft fame scattered randomly throughout Castle Ravenloft. In the in-person version, Strahd attacks at midnight however ready or not the party is. For PbP I'd start the game October 1st and Strahd would attack on October 31st, ready or not.

The biggest challenge is the dungeon nature of the adventure, which requires a lot of preparation from the DM, as well as a lot of micro-decisions on the players' behalf. It could be streamlined into a point-crawl but that's also a lot of work.

Disclaimer: This is not a recruiting post. Please feel free to use this idea, most of it isn't mine anyway :D.
[ +- ] Castle Ravenloft - click image to enlarge
I am by no means good enough for a short game like this but that is how I think it would work.

Maybe even set a "inactivity timer" of sorts where turns can be lost or maybe if IRL passes X amount of days, after the encounter Y amount of time passes in game. This will mean players constant feel the time crunch in on them as they get closer to the finale which hits at a certain time no matter what.
Last edited July 26, 2021 11:00 pm
Aug 27, 2021 6:59 pm
Someone had set up a Halloween Game and I've just noticed it's gone. Anyone know what's happened?
Aug 27, 2021 7:05 pm
It's still going on but I think it's full, so it might not show up on the Games page anymore unless you deactivate the filter that hides full games.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.