House Rules & Character Generation

load previous
Aug 12, 2021 3:04 am
OOC:
I think the details are transferred over now.

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to add to it.

I think Trees probably ran to this town, much like how Forrest Gump just ran across the country several times. I am channeling Forrest Gump, as well as my nephew's likeness, for this character.

Let me know if you need me to tone it down.
Aug 12, 2021 11:09 pm
Trees Glūm
Okay, but what's his history and backstory? You can't just say 'like Forrest Gump', that doesn't tell me anything or give me anything to work with. He's a far traveller - where is he from? In what way do his mannerisms stick out and attract attention? What is his code of honour that locals don't understand? How does being in Quainbluff further his service to his people? How did his relationship to ghosts and spirits come about, and how does it manifest?

I wonder... given that he's a medium and feytouched, does he come from a land where the barriers between the Shadow, Fey and mortal worlds are thinner?

Mechanically, what spell did you pick with Feytouched?
Aug 12, 2021 11:17 pm
Thatch
Looks great! Quick turnaround, too. I very much appreciate the 'show your working' section, makes it much easier to track everything's source.

A few questions and prompts:
* Tell me a little about the neighbouring land or its despotic ruler - something about it that makes Ithlond feel foreign to Thatch, the ruler's motivations or unusual abilities or means by which they hold power.
* Does Thatch have any particular friend or rival back in his old regiment?
* On the run, has he been a sellsword, a vigilante, both, or just tried to keep his head down? Has he done anything that makes him especially proud or ashamed in those roles?
Aug 12, 2021 11:31 pm
Also, if anyone wants to spend their starting cash to purchase additional or improved equipment, go right ahead.
Aug 13, 2021 2:00 am
Grabbed some random names. Lord Rak'via rules over the land of Mesheyya, which is a small wasteland of human and orc tribes that eke out an existence in the arid badlands and deserts. Lord Rak'via himself is a charismatic, yet selfish and power-hungry individual, using his commanding presence to exert loyalty or his armies to enforce his will.

Thatch grew disheartened by the lord's doctrine and found it easier to isolate himself rather than find camaraderie (this ties into his flaw of having trouble with trusting his allies). He did make a close friend, one who shared his idealism, in the human named Holtraith. This man helped defend Thatch's village, but the two became separated afterward. I haven't figured whether Holtraith died defending the village, or if the man is still alive.

While on the run, Thatch spent his time with odd jobs and as a sellsword. He tried to shun any recognition for his deeds, opting for either a small cash payment or temporary room and board, as he reasoned that it'd be harder for his past to catch up with him that way. He is proud to protect and strives to achieve good standing with the common folk, and tries as best he can to avoid acting in a shameful or dishonorable manner.
Aug 13, 2021 3:01 am
Dirigible says:
Trees Glūm
Okay, but what's his history and backstory? You can't just say 'like Forrest Gump', that doesn't tell me anything or give me anything to work with. He's a far traveller - where is he from? In what way do his mannerisms stick out and attract attention? What is his code of honour that locals don't understand? How does being in Quainbluff further his service to his people? How did his relationship to ghosts and spirits come about, and how does it manifest?
Trees is from a small town called "Greenbough", which is near a forest. His mother owned a local hostel there, and travelers would frequent his and his mother's home. His accent is very pronounced, and wherever he goes, people immediately know he is a foreigner, based on his manner of speaking, and his strange behaviors and quirks. For instance, when in the middle of conversation with people, instead of saying "yes" or "no", he plays a upward scale (for affirmative answers) or a downward scale (for negative answers) on his pan flute.

His code of honor is a strange one, and not fully fleshed out yet. But, it is very much a fey's concept of honor, which is strange and seemingly fickle to beings of the Material Plane.

I altered his bond slightly. He is in service to his childhood sweetheart and friend, Sephyra (some believe this is just an imaginary friend of his). He carries around a specific candle when he claims to be communing with Sephyra. This candle is green-tinted wax, with a deep red wick. Upon close inspection, this particular candle looks as though there is some inscription on it, but when Trees is ever asked about it, he simply says, "Strange t'ings 're afoot in da Circle-Kay!"

If you took it and looked closely, you might see a circle-wrapped K inscribed on it, but is it really there? Who knows...
Dirigible says:
I wonder... given that he's a medium and feytouched, does he come from a land where the barriers between the Shadow, Fey and mortal worlds are thinner?
I would think so, but as far as anyone knows, there are not other mediums or fey-touched that have left this town.
Dirigible says:
Mechanically, what spell did you pick with Feytouched?
I chose the "Bless" spell.
[ +- ] 1st lvl: Bless (Enchantment)
Aug 14, 2021 6:26 pm
Hey DM, is there anything else you need from me? I can firm up or alter whatever details that you don’t enjoy or need more clarity on.
Aug 14, 2021 11:45 pm
Nope, that's good to go with. Thank you both.

I've posted some magic items in the Treasury thread for each of you to start with - shouldn't be hard to figure out which goes to whom.
Aug 17, 2021 5:59 pm
I totally forgot to ask if I could take the Orcish Fury feat from Xanathar's. This would bump Thatch's CON to 16 and give him more HP to be the meat shield.
Aug 17, 2021 6:45 pm
I've never seen people take that feat. I'm not sure why not, because it's a pretty decently balanced one
Aug 17, 2021 7:49 pm
That cool, yep.

The main reason I ask people to OK non-core elements, by the way, is so I know where to look to find them. Since 5e doesn't have a comprehensive SRD and what it does have is gated behind D&D Beyond, it's a pain to have to search a whole shelf of books to find a particular spell, subclass or race from outside the PHB unless it's pointed out to me.
Aug 17, 2021 8:02 pm
Thanks.

I didn't state this in my intro post (I'll try to figure out a way to throw it in), but Thatch is 6' 9" and 280 lbs.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.