Games for new players

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Sep 27, 2021 6:22 pm
vagueGM says:
Notthedarkweb says:
... playing with only one player for some reason. Seems a bit lonely
Yeah, it can be a strange introduction. It also puts a lot of pressure on that sole player to be constantly in the spotlight.

I am happy to run a quick, teaching, solo mission for you though, if you decide to try it.

Nah, I'll hold out for a game with other players. Where do I look for that kind of thing?
Sep 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Notthedarkweb says:
Nah, I'll hold out for a game with other players.
Understood.
Notthedarkweb says:
Where do I look for that kind of thing?
The Games Tavern is the probably best place.
Sep 27, 2021 6:33 pm
The Games Tavern is the place to look to for joining new games. Or, to a lesser degree, the Discord server
Feb 5, 2022 11:23 pm
vagueGM says:
Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery - World of Dungeons - PbtA

World of Dungeons (WoDu) was written as a joke by John Harper as part the of the Dungeon World Kickstarter. It turned into a pretty neat game in its own right.

It is based on the Powered by the Apocalypse rules that Dungeon World was based on, but acknowledges that every roll can ultimately be represented as the Act Under Pressure move, so it does away with all the other moves, using only that one.

Wold of Dungeons provides the minimum amount of rules to run quick and easy Fantasy games. Like most rules-light games, it relies a fair bit on the GM's discretion and player's trust in the GM.

Wold of Dungeons leans more towards 'sword and sorcery' style games than 'high fantasy; --think Conan rather than Lord of the Rings. Magic is probably a bad idea, don't try use it unless you want to be corrupted by it and judged by others.

The game is available for free at One Seven Design (PDF) and itch.io.

Apply here.
Sounds like the kind of introduction to PbP I’m looking for. I know PbtA but haven’t tried WoDu before. I looked over the PDF and the rules light nature is exactly the kind of soft PbP intro game I would like to try. Any chance you are mustering for a new group of PbP noobs?
Last edited February 6, 2022 1:01 am
Feb 6, 2022 8:25 am
Not so much 'mustering a new group' as 'always taking on new fodder'.

You are welcomed to the game, now is a good(ish) time to join, as things are about to get a bit more cut off from the world, which will make finding new people harder to explain.
Jun 24, 2023 3:05 pm
Apologies for the thread necro. I'm new around here and to lots of other things besides. Was peeking through the WoDu (RP) thread and was thoroughly enjoying reading about the adventures of Albert, Norbert, Roald, and the rest.

I was wondering if you might have space for one more? If yes, I'm happy to answer questions about what I'm looking for, prior experience (or lack thereof), or anything else. Thanks.
Jun 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Hop on in.

And welcome to the site.

That game has evolved a bit from the intended 'simple, low-stakes-low-impact game that new players can easily drop into' but is still meant for that purpose and we easily drop characters into the middle of what is happening. As you saw, the current players are a good bunch to start with and they will be very helpful to your learning.
Do you want to Request to Join or should I Invite you? Those are the two main ways of getting into game on GP, and if you also want to see what they both look like we can do that opposite to how you got into the TinyD6 one.

We can talk about the rest of those details once you are in.
Jun 24, 2023 8:35 pm
Thanks very much @vagueGM. I've taken the other route as per your suggestion and have requested to join. Hope to see you in the game threads soon.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.