A Quiet Night At The Sign Of The Battered Shield

Aug 17, 2021 2:10 am
Pyriel-day, 77th of Alphos, 102 RC.

Night's fall on Quainbluff was a rowdy affair.

The sun set like a watercolour landscape being plunged into increasingly black ink, the colours and brightness of the world washing away. In a sky as dark as a raven's oath and concealing as a velvet cloak, Rielah-Who-Is-The-Moon ascended like a king in raiments of silver to His nocturnal throne. His bright, unblemished face shone down on the world and gave the free folk of Alpharas a sense of security that had been sorely lacking for centuries.

In a final crook and swoop of the Trollfen river where it met the cold, deep Black Bear lake the ground rose in a steep tumult to overlook the water. Quainbluff draped across that rise to the cliff in a prosperous discord of architectural fashions – the carved wood of elven villas, the stern and intricate masonry of dwarven workshops, the cheerful, teeming terraces of halfling houses and precarious overhangs of gnomish towers. Tall walls of tumbledown stone that had held off the perils of the night for hundreds of years in the Starless Age were built and rebuilt from their own rubble and new mortar, holding the centre of the town safe while a hundred-odd years of relative safety had let it grow out along the river's bow like a middle-aged man's belly exceeding his belt.

As the darkness of the starless night enveloped the world, flames rose up to challenge it. All along those ramshackle walls great braziers burst into flame, casting a warm orange glow over the rooftops and into the streets below. Dolorous, leaden bells rang out from the castle's turrets, warning citizens that the town gates would soon be sealed for the night, and to be tucked away within the walls or at home outside them. Houses lit their own lanterns outside their doors and battened down their shutters, better to light a candle than curse the darkness. The guardian riders of the Lamplighter's Guild set out with torches in hand and swords at their hip to light the beacons along the Tower Road, ready to guide and usher tarrying travellers to the security of the town.

But the folk of Quainbluff paid only routine heed to these dire warnings. Reed cutters gathered their work form the river's edge and strolled back up to the banks, shaking mud off their boots. On the water log-herds rode their wooden steeds with the current using hooks and their own shifting weight to guide them, laughing and calling to each other as they raced to make it to the lumber mills before the gates closed. In the Helm marketplace and dozens of shops along the crowded streets of the Trade District customers heard the bells and bartered all the harder, hoping the end of the day would make merchants eager to sell up and get home. Little changed in the alleys and shambles of Forlorn Row; the day shift of prostitutes, dealers, pickpockets and quick-handed knifers simply exchanged places with the night shift. In well-off Windlane the proud homeowners touched up the paint on their houses, stood on the front steps puffing on pipes and sneering at passers-by or debated which upscale inn it would be most fashionable to dine at that evening.
Across the Trollfen from Windlane lay Applebank. Two roads and three bridges gave little shape to the sprawling assortment of houses, stables, wheelwrights, costermongers, foreign shrines and caravanserais that dotted the low, marshy hillside. Deep cart-ruts full of muddy water made the streets precarious to navigate, and the lanterns outside the homes were paned with coloured glass that cast red, green, blue or yellow shadows across them. Applebank was the first stop for overland travellers arriving at Quainbluff and it showed in the diversity of faces – dwarves, halflings and humans made up the majority of the town's population, but here you could see the occasional scaled dragonborn, their snouts covered with chainmail veils; lash-tailed tabaxi from the Spicewood Jungles; horned folk wrapped in cloaks that might be fiendish- or fey-blooded, and stranger peoples besides.

In the heart of Applebank was the Battered Shield inn and tavern. Its sign was strikingly similar to that of the Goddess of Victory, Elwindis – a sword plunged through a broken shield. Visitors often asked the proprietor, Iminyel about the sign and whether she was a devotee of the warrior goddess, but Iminyel would just smile, demur that she respected all the gods, and launch into one of a dozen contradictory tales about the sign's origins.

The Battered Shield was a single-storey building, at least above ground – its foundations were unusually deep and sturdy in the muddy soil. Red brick and polished timber gave it an elegant appearance, and its broad roof was tiled in white slate that shone brilliantly under the moon's light. Three tall chimneys rose from it, their structure leaning and twining together and trailing blue smoke knots into the black sky. Warm light shone from thick, smokey glass windows and the sounds of good cheer could be heard within, a beacon every bit as inviting to travellers as the flaming watchposts of the Tower Road. Next to the door stood an array of dull brass implements and brushes, with a stern sign reading SCRAPE YOUR BOOTS – Iminyel.

Beyond the door comfort and clutter were the watchwords. The tavern was dominated by a single large taproom, three of its walls sporting wide fireplaces and mantles crowded with curios while the fourth was a long bar. Chairs and couches were scattered about the room, weighed down with furs and blankets to make them cosy against the end of autumn's chill, forming little clusters for conversation, while there were nooks and alcoves for those that preferred privacy. The three crackling fires and soft furnishings made the taproom warm and inviting, and a score or so of travellers and residents of Applebank were enjoying the atmosphere, the well-regarded selection of beers and meads or a dish of pickled pheasant or beetroot stew.
Aug 17, 2021 2:10 am
Thatch,

I hope you will forgive the abruptness of this introduction, but I know of no other name or title to call you. I might say Thatch of Meshyya, but you no longer call that land home. I might call you Corporal Thatch, but you forsook that rank when you realised the charge of iron injustice that came with it. Perhaps Thatch the Defender or Thatch the Champion, for you have put your hammer and shield to the protection of the innocent on several occasions, but you have never sought recognition or station for those brave deeds. So be it – let Thatch be enough. You give the name ample dignity by your actions.

My name is Andis Kyrtsor, and I have few titles or accolades to call my own, but I am privileged to know a few things. I know that the Dominion of Ithlond is in danger, and that that danger will not stop at its borders but will eventually threaten Mesheyya and the world beyond. Know that the wages of heroism are in glory and gold, if a righteous deed is not enough to motivate you on its own, but I feel strongly that you will walk a path that would make your father, Marrok, and your mother, Rumiya proud.

If you would lend your good strong arm to this cause, or at least hear me out, come to the sign of the Battered Shield in Quainbluff on the last three days of the month of Alphos.

In hope,
Andis Kyrtsor.
Aug 17, 2021 5:53 pm
The large half-orc spent the better part of two minutes at the front stoop of the Battered Shield, trying vainly to clean the muck from his beaten boots. His trail through Quainbluff meandered heavily from the muddy banks of the river, where he clumsily slipped into the Trollfen before he found sturdier footing. One might have followed him on a curious journey through Applebank, wandering this way and that, backtracking across alleys and between buildings, before finally stopping for directions from a cabbage cart and heading directly for the famous inn.

Thatch checked the soles of his boots and muttered under his breath. The dull chainmail that covered his chest and legs looked about as decent, with the patchwork blotches of rust lending a reddish tint to the armor. He hefted his bag, laden with shield and the accoutrement of an adventurer and sellsword, and stepped into the inn with a warhammer slipped through his belt and a head of cabbage tucked under his arm.

He headed straight for the taproom counter, where he set the cabbage before him and asked for a pint and the location of one Andis Kyrtsor. "If that name don't ring a bell," he said, his voice like the rumbling complaint of an empty stomach, "he might of said that he was waiting for someone."

Adjusting the head of cabbage to face the good side towards the bartender, the half-orc paused, then quickly added, "Oh, that someone is me. Thatch."
OOC:
How much for the cabbage from the cabbage seller? And a pint from the tap?
Aug 19, 2021 12:30 am
Thatch

Plenty of eyes lifted from their plates, from their games of cards or from the midst of the tales they were relating as Thatch stooped through the door. Half-orcs were not common, but not unheard of in Quainbluff – but a man that size caught attention wherever he went. People eyed him from well-scraped boots to cloud-bumping crown, noted the massive war mallet in his belt and creaking armour wrapping his frame, and decided that that was enough for them. Everyone quickly went back to their affairs, hoping that this figure wasn't intent on business of his own that intersected with theirs.

Iminyel stood behind the bar, tall, willow-slim, the only employee of the tavern visible. The mature, poised elven woman's hair was a silvery sweep back from her brow, held in place with a practical scarf. Her face was gently etched with smile and laugh lines, and she tilted her head as Thatch marched up to the bar and set down his brassica companion. "Welcome to the Battered Shield, traveller. We don't normally encourage people to bring their own meals... or is that your familiar?" she gave the vegetable head a flick with one long finger, setting it spinning.

Before Iminyel could pour his drink, the half-orc heard another voice beaming up from around his thigh. "Well I never! Thatch the bold! Thatch the friend of free commerce! Thatch the muleskinner! Fancy meeting you here!"

The voice belonged to a halfling with the broad smiling orange cheeks of a squash peering out from under a straw hat, which he doffed respectfully. After a moment, Thatch recognised the smaller personage: Ryegold Hailcorn, a merchant of quality produce he had run across on the road a few weeks back. Hailcorn's cart had been stuck in a rut, and a few ruffians had taken advantage of the halfling's predicament to menace him and help themselves to his produce. One good long look at Thatch when he happened along had put paid to that, and Thatch's muscle and skill with a wagon had gotten Hailcorn back on his way.

Ryegold's two little hands grabbed one of Thatch's and shook it as vigorously as he could. Then, climbing up onto the ledge of stairs fitted to the bar for the convenience of halfling and gnomish patrons, he stacked some silver coins neatly in front of the elf. "Mistress Iminyel, this man drinks and dines on me tonight! Goodman Thatch, won't you come and sit with me? I've brought my family to town, what with all this bad business out in the hinterlands, and I'd be proud for them to meet you."
Aug 19, 2021 12:31 am
Hello Trees Glūm,

If it is hard for you to read this, please give it to a good friend who can read it to you.

I am a human named Andis Kyrtsor. We have something in common – we can both see ghosts, though I cannot speak or sing to them like you do.

The people of a town called Quainbluff, which is important to me, need help. I hope you can help me, to help them. If it will help you to trust me, we have a friend in common: Sephyra.

Please come to the Battered Shield tavern in Quainbluff. You will know it because it has a sign that looks like a sword and shield. I will be there on the 77th, 78th and 79th of Alphos at the end of autumn. I hope I will meet you there and we can talk.

Yours in simplicity,
Andis Kyrtsor.
Aug 19, 2021 12:53 am
"I'd love a drink!" roars Thatch, clapping the little man on the shoulder. He gives a nod to Iminyel, gathering his cabbage once it stops spinning, and follows Ryegold to the other table. Halfway there, he stops. "Wait, is your name also Andis? Was I supposed to meet you here?"
Aug 19, 2021 9:28 pm
Dirigible says:
Hello Trees Glūm,

If it is hard for you to read this, please give it to a good friend who can read it to you.

I am a human named Andis Kyrtsor. We have something in common – we can both see ghosts, though I cannot speak or sing to them like you do.

The people of a town called Quainbluff, which is important to me, need help. I hope you can help me, to help them. If it will help you to trust me, we have a friend in common: Sephyra.

Please come to the Battered Shield tavern in Quainbluff. You will know it because it has a sign that looks like a sword and shield. I will be there on the 77th, 78th and 79th of Alphos at the end of autumn. I hope I will meet you there and we can talk.

Yours in simplicity,
Andis Kyrtsor.
Skipping along the trail, a squat gnome plays several coherent notes on his pan flute, and then for some reason, hums a few notes in between. It is an odd sound, but he seems to enjoy himself, and no one historically has paid too much attention to him, so he smiles and plays and hums and skips.

After some time (he doesn't know exactly how long), he remembers that letter he received in the place he slept last night! He stops in his tracks, digs through his side bag for the letter, and pulls it out.

His mama taught him to read in the common tongue, which was good, since this person obviously put great care into the communique. Problem was, Trees only understood about half of the words on the paper.

Someone named Andis needed his help, and they have something in common, but he wasn't sure what.

Must be important, he mused when he tried to read it. He pulled out his candle, and started to walk quickly, muttering to 'phyra.

"I don' understan' all dis, but d'you think I should go to see dis guy?" he asks to someone who doesn't seem to be there.

"Where do I go?" After waiting a few seconds, looking in a (seemingly) random direction, he then nods his head and walks in that direction.
Last edited August 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Rolls

Percentage of words that Trees can understand from the lette - (1d100)

(45) = 45

Aug 19, 2021 10:37 pm
After a long time of traveling (Trees doesn't track time very well), he arrives in Quainbluff, and shows a few people the letter, and they point him in the direction of the tavern.

He thanks some imaginary friend, puts the letter in his pocket and the candle back in his side bag, and pulls out the pan flute, and enters.

He looks around, smiling, and catches a glimpse of a little person kind of like him. He walks over, and says, "Hi li'l friend! I'm Trees, an' I'm li'l, too! An' I'm from Greenbough! Do you know dis person, Andis? He seems to need some help..."
Aug 21, 2021 11:11 pm
Thatch & Trees Glūm

With no fewer than five half-pints of cider clutched precariously in his arms and a full pint of ale in Thatch's fist, Ryegold lead the half-orc over to meet the rest of the Hailcorn clan. They were seated at one of the smallfolk-sized tables, so Thatch had to drag over a stool more suited to his frame and he towered over the halfling family like an ogre at a tea party. His mail-clad knees knocked the edge of the table and sloshed sharp and sweet cider-foam over the lips of everyone's mugs, which Ryegold laughed off but the rest seemed a little peeved by.

There were more introductions in short order than Thatch could readily keep track of – Ryegold's wife, lean and severe where he was plump and genial; their two sons, alike enough to be twins and similar enough to their father to be early editions of the same man; and their daughter, who held a well-swaddled babe in her arms and looked at Thatch apprehensively. The infant, small enough to fit in one of the half-orcs palms gave a keening little cry until its mother dipped her finger in the cider and gave it a suckle.

Ryegold gave a spirited recounting of the incident on the road and his family was beginning to warm to Thatch's presense. "...and then old Buttersquash the mule got it into her head to take exception to this fellow dragging the cart out of the ditch," the merchant slapped Thatch on the elbow, as high as he could reach. There was a sound of mail clinking and like someone had punched a side of beef, and Ryegold shook his hand painfully but continued unabated. "Two hoofs, right in the chest – I think she came off the worse than he did, ha ha! And what does he, say, but... eh?"

The halfling glanced aside as his story was interrupted by a stranger – a gnome, stout and odd-looking but positively radiating good intentions. Nonplussed, Ryegold glanced at the pan-flute the gnome held and waved his hand. "No thank you, piper, go and busk somewhere else... wait, did you say Andis? Wasn't that the name you mentioned, friend?" he looked up at Thatch. "Popular fellow tonight, whoever he is."

The Hailcorn twins glanced at each other at the mention of Greenbough, blanching. One of them held up his hands and made a circle with his thumbs and forefingers, invoking the face of the moon, a common superstitious ward-sign against evil.
Aug 21, 2021 11:12 pm
Fist Glanduk,

I know well the exploits of the Fire-Bringers. My grandmother served with the Dwarf Guard as well, and often spoke of how your legion's discipline and cunning was indispensable in guarding the midwives of the Moon. I know that some of those who served to help take back the night returned to the old ways, but that some maintained the path of honour and held to the light.

I am Andis Kyrtsor, and I am in need of the aid of warriors and wizards alike. If you have cleaved to the ways of your father, Haurgaz the Thunder-Handed, I believe you are both in good measure. As you know the work our ancestors did in safeguarding the creation of a beacon to kindle hope in the Long Night did not vanquish evil, it merely gave us a fighting chance against it. I believe some part of that evil is preparing to return, and I ask your aid in standing against it. This is a battle that will be won not by armies, but by a few strong hands and clever heads.

If you are willing to join this campaign or at least hear out my request, please come to the Battered Shield tavern in Quainbluff. I will be in attendance at there on the 77th of Alphos onwards, attempting to secure allies.

In respect,
Andis Kyrtsor.
Aug 22, 2021 6:22 am
Glanduk checked the note once more. His trek had been long and his feet ached. His boots used to fit well, but the time since he left the army had been tough on those once-sturdy riding boots. He straightened his tunic and made sure that his Dwarf Guard insignia was visible. Satisfied with his appearance, he mumbled in Dwarven the motto of the Dwarf Guard: "Honor, Duty, No Mercy." The middle-aged veteran stepped out of the shadows and into Applebank. He noticed the mat, and while he was scaping his boots, he remembered what the note had said about his father. He glanced at his hands, almost expecting to see lightning. His mother rarely talked about him, let alone told Glanduk his name. Glanduk strode into the tavern. He made a beeline for the bar aiming to get some of that pheasant and a mead. Maybe two. He asked the elf, "Could I get a mead, ma'am? Just whatever's on tap would be lovely. Would there happen to be an Andis Kyrtsor in attendance tonight? I believe he sent for me."
Aug 24, 2021 12:11 am
Glanduk

As the hobgoblin ducked to enter the tavern, he found himself submerged in a warm, cosy atmosphere with wisps of tobacco smoke and cooking smells carried along with snatches of song and laughter, a bracing change from the sharp bite of autumn's end outside and the loneliness of the road. A few eyes turned his way in idle curiosity, and a dwarf at a nearby low table paused mid-quaff and glowered at him, foam dribbling down his moustaches.

The smile of the elven woman at the bar was more polite and welcoming as she waved a hand and an unseen barmaid scooped up a tray of drinks to deliver to a party of boisterous coopers. "Applebank's own Sweet and Tart it is." She paused for a moment and gave Glankduk a scrutinising look. "Good on you for not rising to the bait. Most newcomers can't resist the bloody innuendo in that name. Or maybe I'm just losing my charms." With a musical laugh Imenyel bustled along the bar to crack open a cask.

Glanduk didn't have long to wait before a gnarled fist slammed down on the wooden surface next to him. The dwarf that had choked at his arrival – middle aged, with a receding close-cropped crown of ginger hair and long moustaches held in place with copper rings – now stood next to Glanduk, glaring at his chest. "Bloody Nakhtaran," he slurred, jabbing a thick finger into the hobgoblin's chest and flicking at his insignia brooch. "Whose body'd you pinch that off, eh? We fort... fort... fought a war to keep your kind at bay. Built a bloody palace in the sky to ward you off! An' you have the unspiff... unmig... unmitigated gall to wear that badge like you deserve it! Gizzit."

The dwarf, clearly so deep in his cups he was at risk of finding balrogs made a grab for the brooch on Glanduk's breast.
OOC:
Please make a Dexterity save, DC 5, if you want to try and avoid the dwarf ripping off the badge.
Aug 24, 2021 12:11 am
Master Greenbottle,

I hope this missive finds you in a timely fashion. Your travels make you a difficult man to track down, even for my trusty raven Mnimi, but those skills are precisely what I have need of.

You are justly celebrated in the village of Emall for your courage in rescuing your kinsfolk from their abductors, and that fame has spread far and wide enough to reach my ears in Quainbluff. I am called Andis Kyrtsor, and I fear that there is an enemy that wishes this town ill to the same, even to a greater extent than yours. This foe has a name, which I think has meaning to you: Lady Fervida. If you would make common cause with me against our mutual adversary and help find justice, or at least prevent a similar fate befalling both our peoples in the future, I ask you to seek me out before the end of the season. I will be awaiting you and others at the Battered Shield tavern outside Quainbluff.

In allied purpose,
Andis Kyrtsor.
Aug 24, 2021 12:40 am
Having read the letter multiple times on his way to Quainbluff, Milo leaves it tucked into his pack for the time being as he enters the Battered Shield. His gaze sweeps around the room as he makes his way over to the bar, taking a seat just a few stools over from the situation brewing between Glanduk and the local Dwarf. Choosing not to interfere for the time being, the Halfling hops up to sit on the stool he's chosen. Keeping one eye on the hostility just down the bar, he hails the barkeep, "A beer for now, please. And would you happen to know an Andis Kyrtsor?"
Aug 25, 2021 2:36 am
As the drunken dwarf reaches for his insignia, Glanduk sidesteps the dwarf, and softly says, "I am Fist Glanduk 'the Loud' Cavalry Corps, RETIRED!" Glanduk spoke with great passion, almost yelling the final word. He took a second to collect himself, taking a deep breath, before continuing his conversation. "My apologies, Iminyel. I assure you that your charms are untarnished."
Last edited August 25, 2021 2:56 am

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Aug 25, 2021 11:40 pm
Milo & Glanduk

As Milo hoisted himself onto a stool by the bar, the collection of axes sheathed across his vest and belt shifted, and a sharp blue light glimmered from the finely-wrought blade of one of them. Such magic the dwarven smiths of old had, to craft a weapon that gleamed when goblinoids were near, something Milo's own eyes could tell him if he glanced not ten feet to his left!

The elven barkeep passed a mug of mead to one of the unseen servants that bustled around her, then smiled at Milo. "I recognise that blade. I have friends in Emall. This is on the house, in gratitude." She poured a measure of crisp bitter from the tap, and her smile turned to a curious frown. "Andis Kyrtsor... you're not the first to mention that name. What has that man done to attract the interest of so many well-armed strangers, I wonder..."

Meanwhile, the dwarf stumbled forward as Glanduk deftly twisted out of the way of the clumsy grab, then leaned back as the war mage proved one of the ways in which he'd earned the epithet the Loud. Half the bar flinched and looked around at the near-bellow of 'RETIRED'. As Glanduk turned away, though, the dwarf's eyes bulged under his heavy brows and he tightened the hand that had been pawing at the hobgoblin's cloak into a fist, and swung it back around.
OOC:
I rolled a Wisdom check against Glanduk's passive Intimidate. The dwarf reacted... poorly. He rolls a 13 on his unarmed attack, and I figured this might be a good moment for Glanduk to flavour his arcane deflection if you choose to use it.

No need to roll Initiative or anything unless this really escalates.
Aug 26, 2021 12:10 am
"Trees of Greenbough," says Thatch from his high stool, "you and me, we're looking for the same chap, it sounds like. Did you get one of them letters, too?"
Aug 26, 2021 12:31 am
Trees looks to Thatch and plays an upward scale on his pan flute, then says, "Problem is, I don' read good. Can you help?"

Trees pulls out the letter and puts it in the face of Thatch, hoping he can help him read the words.
Aug 26, 2021 12:50 am
Smiliinig slightly when the drink is offered on the house, Milo takes it and has a sip. "My thanks," he answers, still glancing from time to time over at the Hobgoblin and the Dwarf, keeping an eye on the brewing trouble there so that he can get out of the way if it becomes necessary. Looking to the barkeep again, he goes on, looking curious when it is mentioned that others are looking for the same Andis Kyrtsor, "Well in my case, he wrote me a letter, asking me to meet him here. Something about a mutual foe. I can't speak for anyone else, though. If you wouldn't mind, who else has been here looking for him?"
Aug 26, 2021 7:31 pm
As the drunken dwarf swung at the hobgoblin, he raised his hand, muttering an ancient Goblin defense incantation. Instead of striking him, the blow struck the open hand. A small puff of purple smoke issued forth from the palm. "I swore an oath to never act upon the wrath in my heart. My brothers betrayed their oath, but here I remain, a servant of the light, of Rielah-Who-is-the-Moon, who I will willingly shed my own blood again forever more." Glanduk took a sip of the mead in front of him.
OOC:
I find myself channeling traditional paladin-esque behavior. This might be fun
Last edited August 26, 2021 7:32 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.