Scene 6: KAB-III

load previous
Sep 12, 2021 6:20 pm
Spending much of the ride on the bus in silence, sitting alone and recreating the drawing of Shaman from the impressions left on the next page of her sketch journal and from memory, Sabine bids her goodbyes to Mikael, Yumin, and Eric, as she gets off at the closest stop to the Systembolaget. She trudges to the store, picks out a small bottle from their selections and flashes the man her fake ID, as she pays. He doesn't give it much of a look, as Sabine is an occasional customer to the store.

She arrives at Hål i Öronmask late, but quickly apologizes to Leo. He doesn't question her too much the reason. He's just glad she is okay and there so he can go meet with his Saturday night date and they can all try to relax after a couple of very odd and stressful days. Sabine calls Kajsa as soon as the boss is out the door to let her know she is alright and so are their small circle of friends. Kajsa insists on coming over.

Sabine quickly realizes that no one is coming in to buy music tonight. She holds off opening the bottle, but finds herself nodding off a couple times, until the front door's chime awakens her to the sight of her wonderful Kajsa in full motion. The sweet blonde throws herself onto Sabine and hugs her for a long moment. Then, barrages the rocker with a multitude of warm welcome kisses.

They talk in depth about the incident at KAB III, in each others arms at the front of the store. Neither really cares who might come by and see after all they have been through the last few days. Kajsa even surprises Sabine by revealing she has finally bolstered the courage and has opened up to her parents about their relationship. Not too surprisingly, they seemed to already have a strong notion about the two of them, but were waiting on Kajsa to come out to them. They were only happy that she was happy and had someone who really loved her.

Near closing time, the two young lovers locked up the store tight and set up the back room. Sabine gifted Kajsa with a simple silver ring she had been saving and keeping secret until the right time. It had belonged to her mother. It was the right time. There they consummated their joyful and safe reunion and fell asleep in each others arms.

Nothing much else had changed in Sabine's life. Her aunt and that side of the family still hated her. Ignorant people still called her a devil-worshipping whore, but added lesbian to the title, and she continued to seek the truth. She had learned the burden of that truth, but it was just another part of being Sabine. She could handle it.
Last edited October 9, 2021 10:41 am
Sep 13, 2021 8:38 am
Mikael offered the group a sad smile as he got off the bus and walked the rest of the way home. On his way there, he walked past the place in the field where they had found Mark's body. He wandered over to the spot where his body had lain, the flowers posed by the Shaman to give the body some measure of a respectful send-off. He puts his back to the power pole and slumps down to the ground, sitting for a long while and thinking.

Eventually he stood and made his way home, arriving to an empty house as was typical of Saturday nights. A note explaining his mother's absence was on the counter, along with enough money to keep him in take-out pizza for several days - nothing more than a bribe, really, he realized. The money seemed to speak to him: "Don't make a fuss about this and I'll buy you off." He left the money where it lie, not even bothering to read the note, went upstairs, crawled into bed and slept.

In the following days, Mikael grew more and more distant with his parents. He confronted his mother's affair directly, telling his father point-blank what was most certainly happening then leaving them to figure out what to do. Mikael found work in town, bagging groceries for a small wage while he finished school. He would never go on to have the best grades, but devoted his time to what really mattered to him - spending time with his friends, for it was their bond that he grew to truly treasure.

Kajsa's happiness with Sabine was evident, and Mikael quickly allowed himself to let go of his childhood crush. He respected Sabine - she was strong and willful, unafraid to be who she was - all traits that Mikael envied and admired. Using his connections, wit, and charm, he made it a personal goal to stamp out as much of the trash the kids at school said about Sabine and Kajsa...it wasn't easy, but more than a few kids learned their own truths could just as easily be wielded against them, and that shut them up good.

He tried out for hockey, finally, after Eric insisted for years and much to his parents' chagrin. He last through the season, he would proudly say, but what was important was that he was stepping out of his comfort zone, and away from the model his parents had set for him.

Mikael took what he could of the situation between Yumin and Peter and, if you asked him, did a pretty fine job playing match maker. It wasn't hard, the two were obviously stupid for each other, but a few pokes and prods in the right direction got them talking more openly and frequently. It was on autopilot from there. He got to know the shy Korean girl pretty well, trying to pull her more and more out of her shell, and grew to really like spending time with her. He even talked her into teaching him some basic programming stuff on his computer, which triggered a great interest in him.

Many years later, Mikael would go on to start a company developing mobile technology designed to help track and locate missing children. He would proudly say that his devices contributed to saving the lives of dozens of kids in the first couple years of production. When asked what drove him, he would explain: "My friends and I went through a traumatic event when we were kids, a kid in our school was killed. I still feel the effects of that every day in my life, still think about it all the time. I remember what it did to his family, I remember the faces of everyone when it was announced, and I never want another parent or friend to feel that pain. So really, I do what I do for one simple reason: empathy."
Last edited September 13, 2021 8:41 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.