Day 1 - Saturday

Sep 13, 2021 12:51 am
A new day dawns at Camp Jubilee. Thankfully for most of you, the children won't arrive until 11am, so you have one last quiet morning to yourselves. At 8am sharp, loudspeakers throughout camp play the tolling of large bells that serves as the meal bell here. (Reverend Mark wanted real church bells but none of the existing structures could accommodate them; a future project he assured everyone.) All meals are served in the Jensen building, the largest structure in camp. It's two stories--grey on bottom and red on top--with a long attic for storage. An interior staircase in the center and a an exterior wooden staircase on the western side lead to the second floor, which also contains a balcony running the length of the building. Reverend Mark also had solar panels installed on this building so the camp could run "off the grid."

The dining hall is on the second floor and takes up half the building with the kitchen, bathrooms, and offices taking up the rest. The dining hall is a large cafeteria-style room with long benches taking up the middle of the floor, with the exterior wall containing windows and the interior wall containing the buffet counters behind which is the kitchen. Religious iconography adorn the walls, as well as Bible quotes and other aphorisms about obedience, manners, and various virtues. A few landscape paintings are also hung around the room, along with dreamcatchers and other camp-themed knickknacks. Until today you all had simple lunches provided by a cheap catering service, mainly lunchbox-style meals like a sandwich, apple, cookies, and juice. Dinner was usually better but not by much. But today hired cooks would be arriving to provide all meal for everyone. But today was not now, and breakfast was a third-rate hotel buffet of three kinds of cereal, orange juice, plain bagels (with no cream cheese), and some apples and bananas. As you arrive, Bobby and Heather are already eating at the center table.

KCC

Sep 13, 2021 9:26 am
"I don’t suppose these chefs will work up a nice heel of soda bread and some jam, will they? You never forget the taste of it!" Declan remarks as he unhappily gets to work on his bagel.

His eyes glaze over the religious iconography everywhere. It was… ostentatious. For him, religion was a deep thing. Put into you early and then covered up. Built over. There was shame there. This, well this was very different from that. There was pride here. Boastfulness that rubbed him the wrong way.

"Morning…" he says, reminding himself to say.

"Got a bit of stuff to spruce up before the kids get here. And yourselves?"
Sep 13, 2021 11:38 am
[ +- ] Tension and SP
Sep 13, 2021 1:11 pm
Patty almost staggers into the dining hall, more from her pounding headache than anything else and for some reason her knee hurts. It was a God damned dream she keeps telling herself. The last thing she wants to do now is sit with these people but she has to play the game. But then Declan wanders in and she rustles up a practiced shy smile. She wonders if she's still got it and then for an instant sees a flashback of her dream and a toothless grin and has to shake it from her thoughts or he'll think she's nuts.

"Morning everyone! How are the bagels? Is there any lox to go with them?" she asks with a pretend cheeriness knowing full well there won't be any lox here.
Sep 13, 2021 1:58 pm
Lucas enters the cafeteria wearing cargo pants, some hiking boots, and a USAWrestling t-shirt and helps himself to a couple bananas and a glass of orange juice, along with some cereal.
He then makes his way over to where the others are sitting.
"I've gotta admit, I'm really looking forward to the campers showing up today. Not that I haven't enjoyed looking at your lovely faces these last few days, but I think I've been starting to feel a bit lonely with all this space and just the few of us here. Having the kids running around here will probably some life to the place. Probably make time fly faster as well, doncha think?"
He shoves 3/4 of his first banana in his mouth and begins gagging on it, clearly having bit off more than he can chew.
Sep 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Aden woke up feeling tired still, he’d been unable to get back to sleep so had spent the night Sketching and listening to some Psy Trance to help him chill out; he’d eventually dropped off about 4:30 am as the sky was starting to light up. He got up and threw on yesterday’s clothes….."Breakfast and Coffee First" whilst checking himself out in the mirror. He was trying to break his routine of starting the day with a joint…..

"Small Steps" Reverend Lucas had told him previously as a way to help Aden when he mentioned his problems. He walked to the Canteen and acknowledged Bobby, Heather, Declan, Patty and Lucas whilst grabbing some Breakfast (bowl of Cereal, Orange Juice, Apple and a Banana) "Morning" he was going to try his best to be sociable and make friends here rather than being a loner
Sep 13, 2021 2:53 pm
Jessica grumbles as she walks in on the tail end of Lucas's morning greetings.

"I bet time flies fast for you all the time, nimrod."

She seems to be in a particularly foul mood today, mulling over something or the other. She snatches some corn flakes and milk and pours herself a bowl. She sits down, munching fiercely.
Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm
After showering, Susan brushed her teeth long and thoroughly to hide the smell of her morning vodka on her breath. She randomly grabs a couple of things to eat and drops down at the table lustlessly. She doesn't feel like eating but without it, she won't keep up her strength until lunch.

Looking at Jessica, she mutters: "Shut up. If you want to play with Lucas' rod, just do it but stop talking about it." Then she turns to Bobby. "So, I had this dream and, just asking, how much trouble would I get in, in theory, if I accidentally killed or really badly injured a kid?"
Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm
Jessica gagged on her cereal in a mix of surprise and disgust, both at the insinuation of her interest in Lucas and the direct question about the manslaughter of children.

"Christ have mercy on your soul, Susan, because you need it."
Sep 13, 2021 5:06 pm
"Susan dear, is it necessary to be so crude?" Patty asks, feigning shock when in reality she found it quite funny.

Patty was happy to see that life at the camp was shaping up to be quite the soap opera complete with potential cat fights, lusty liaisons, and drugs and booze. It might actually turn out to be fun.
Last edited September 13, 2021 5:09 pm
Sep 13, 2021 6:11 pm
Aden didn’t mean to listen in but heard Susan mention her nightmare"I had a weird dream last night too, maybe it’s all the fresh air?Somehow I don’t see you as the murderous type"

He went and grabbed himself a cup of Coffee, if he was going to get through this then he needed something…..maybe Caffeine wouldn’t be such a bad replacement.

"What time do the kids get here man?" He needed to prepare himself for the onslaught of what was to begin
Last edited September 13, 2021 6:12 pm
Sep 13, 2021 6:52 pm
Dacey picks at her plate, which has a little bit of everything, all of which is awful: cold scrambled eggs from a carton with what tastes like expired salsa on top, a bruised apple, melon that was far slimier than it should have been, white bread that the toaster struggled to toast even a little, a glass of cheap OJ (is this Tang?), and a hard-boiled egg that would be edible with a bit of pepper and salt.

The woman looks on her game this morning. Black tights, red Converse All-Stars, a grey tank that shows off her impressive physique. Her hair is pulled back with an elastic and she smiles when she sees Patty try to turn on the charm with old Declan, and Dyne one-up Jessica's bitchiness with a quip that almost shuts the uptight girl up. Aden is his spacey self, and the dark-skinned woman just raises her eyebrows and looks away when there's a strange moment where Lucas tries to deep-throat a banana.

"I just hope the food improves from here," she says to the table, gesturing to the cooks who are already starting to get set up for lunch.

She listens to see if Bobby will answer Susan, and says, "couple of hours. By late morning they'll be here, I think, like eleven?" to Aden.
Last edited September 13, 2021 6:55 pm
Sep 13, 2021 10:58 pm
Kristin follows Dacy into the mess hall and grabs some eggs and untoasted toast. She elects to skip the orange juice, opting instead for a bottle of lukewarm water. As she takes a seat next to Dacy, she looks to her friend. "What I wouldn't give for some bacon or sausage!"
Sep 14, 2021 12:53 am
Two cooks arrive during the breakfast, a man and a woman, and both appear to be in their sixties at a rough guess. They are pulling collapsible carts on wheels and filled with brown paper bags of foodstuffs. They introduce themselves as Martin and Edith Warburton, a retired husband and wife team who own a restaurant in the nearest town Pemberton, an hour's drive from here. They are semi-retired as their daughter manages the restaurant for them and they mostly get by with Social Security, revenue from the restaurant, and odd-jobs they take to keep themselves entertained in their retirement. Martin has a full head of salt-and-pepper hair and is still burly even in his twilight years and looks better suited to be a lumberjack or Drill Sargent than a cook in his younger years. Edith is contrastingly wasp-thin, with black hair tied in a bun. Both have friendly faces and warm smiles, if a bit awkward around so many young people.

At Kristin's mention of bacon and sausage, Edith gives her a smile and says, "Then you are in luck dear, for our first official breakfast tomorrow we will be making bacon and sausage omelets." Then she looks to Dacey and says, "It can only get better right?" as she gestures to the pitiful food she is eating for breakfast currently.

Martin speaks up, "Come now, Edith, let's leave these youngins to their meal. We gotta get started on lunch prep. Macaroni and cheese with fresh bread, salad, and fried fish with tartar sauce if any of you'se was wondering," he adds. Edith nods and they make their way to the door next to the buffet bar that leads to the kitchen
Sep 14, 2021 12:59 am
Heather shakes her head in response to Patty's question about lox. She then agrees with Lucas' assessment of being excited that the kids were finally coming. "And it means all our hard work will have paid off." Heather then nearly chokes on her OJ at Susan's comment and her cheeks blush hotly. She couldn't believed that blonde referred to...it! Then she grew even mortified when she heard about the dream. "I don't think you have to worry about anything like that happening. Camp Jubilee is watched over by the Lord. He wouldn't allow anything bad to happen here. And how hard could watching over some kids be?" she asks rhetorically. "What kind of dream was it, anyway?" she tries to ask casually, but fails miserably.
Sep 14, 2021 12:59 am
Bobby mostly keeps quiet during breakfast, watching the banter and barbs fly between the new counselors. When Jessica talks about Lucas' "nimrod", a flash of jealousy crosses his face. When Susan retorts followed by a few other women he makes "meow" noises and grins like a fool at the minor catfight going on. When the talk turns to dreams, he asks, "Was it dreams of the Satanic orgies?" with a gleam in his eye.
Sep 14, 2021 4:51 am
"I wish it had been. That would have been an awesome dream," Susan replies. "Nah, it was just children being annoying. One of them ruined my best skirt so I slapped her hard enough that her eyes fell out." She grins as she recounts that. "It was horrifying at the time but looking back, pretty funny."
Sep 14, 2021 5:08 am
Jessica didn't agree with Heather's conviction that the Lord wouldn't allow bad things to happen. In her own view, he helped with the things afterwards. She didn't voice her thoughts on the matter though, choosing instead to comment on Susan's dream.

"Heather, good job assigning Susan far away from the elementary school kids. She's like an entire woodshop's worth of vices."
Sep 14, 2021 7:25 am
"Hell yeah!" Dacey calls over to the two cooks when the woman mentions the food only getting better. "That's right, save us!" she says, turning around in her seat to face them. Pointing at the grisly remains of the terrible buffet, she adds, "Because this shit right here is unacceptable!"

Turning back to Kristen as Heather, Bobby, Susan, and Jessica banter and snipe, Williams lends an ear but talks quietly with her friend. "Seriously, it's gonna be huge if those two actually know how to cook. How are you feeling, by the way? Better?"

At the entire woodshop worth of vices comment, Dacey finds it hard to not wince and grimace.

KCC

Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm
Declan perks up at the mention of fresh bread.

"Fresh bread, is it? Saying that now, Warburton wouldn’t be a Irish name, I don’t think. Warburton… Warburton…"

… What kind of a name is that? English or American or what? It’ll be sour dough or pumpernickel or whatever it’s called for lunch so…

He breaks away from the thought and asks Aden in a low voice, so as not to draw everyone’s attention:

"You reckon you know the murderous type, you do? Which one of them would you put your money on, so?" he shoots his eyes down at the rest of the table as they talk back and forth.
Last edited September 14, 2021 1:43 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.