Posting Rates as Expectations

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Sep 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Granted, we all have times that hitting that posting frequency in our games can be difficult. I think we all understand that. Life throws you for a loop sometimes and it happens to everyone.

Its the habitual player that agrees to a 1/day game and shows up to post anything at most 2/week, posts less than a line that reads something along the lines of 'Uh...I shoot it.', and then complains that all the other players and the GM's posts are too long and they're loosing interest in the game, that really bothers me. If you honestly can't make more of an effort, bow out.
Last edited September 15, 2021 4:37 pm
Sep 15, 2021 4:46 pm
Quote:
This is why I also tend to like having a decently sized group of players, usually 4-7. More players means more regular posting, which serves to keep up the momentum. For me, having less than four players is a risky proposition, as posting will likely get too slow. That’s just been my experience. The ideal number for me is between 5 and 7; that ensures that the group count doesn’t drop too low if someone ghosts or has to unexpectedly drop the game.
Interesting. I feel the opposite. I always get the feeling that larger groups encourage everyone to just sit back and observe and not post themselves. Anything above 4 feels like a risk to me and I'll only as an acception accept a fifth player into a game
Sep 15, 2021 5:02 pm
Different people are able to post at different rates. I can usually post fairly frequently but hold back to give other posters a chance to get a post in before I have another go at it to avoid dominating the conversation. It slows things down for me waiting another player but it's the fair thing to do given that not everyone can post at the same rates. Every player deserves a voice at the table without being overrun.

That said, players just checking in infrequently with little to no real contribution to the flow of the game is frustrating. Maybe the game isn't what they expected, maybe their character isn't preforming as designed, maybe the plot is in an area they don't have much interest in...but sticking to a posting minimum is part of the price of admission to the game. If that's an issue, communication can usually resolve it even if it's just to bow out of the game.
Sep 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Quote:
I can usually post fairly frequently but hold back to give other posters a chance to get a post in before I have another go at it to avoid dominating the conversation. It slows things down for me waiting another player but it's the fair thing to do given that not everyone can post at the same rates. Every player deserves a voice at the table without being overrun.
Yep, and this is how I've found myself playing in 7 games and running 3 others!

Not currently, but in the past...

https://i.imgflip.com/5n2x3v.jpg
Sep 15, 2021 6:30 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Interesting. I feel the opposite. I always get the feeling that larger groups encourage everyone to just sit back and observe and not post themselves. Anything above 4 feels like a risk to me and I'll only as an acception accept a fifth player into a game
My sweet spot is definitely 3-4. Sologames / duos with one GM and one player can be great too, provided the player is proactive. Have had nothing but bad experiences with big groups over the years, especially in single scenes where every PC is present.
Sep 16, 2021 8:36 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Yeah bowl, I’ve heard others say that, too. Not sure why my experience has been so different. Most of my games with large groups have been quite good, unless it’s too many people. I could see a group of more than seven or eight players being chaotic. In the games I joined where there was less than four people, the game always ended within a month or two. Probably just bad luck on my part.
Last edited September 16, 2021 8:45 pm
Sep 16, 2021 9:44 pm
Might also be a difference in style. I prefer more character focused games, rather than plot focused. And those get more difficult with too many players
Sep 16, 2021 10:03 pm
I haven't DMed here. I find that changing which initiative systems are being used can changed how the game feels. Normally, I'd want to stick to a typical initaitive roll, but I'm starting to come around to group initative (PCs then Monsters) or (Monsters first)
Sep 17, 2021 2:44 am
WarDomo says:
I'm less concerned with the rate of posting as the rate of checking in. Echoing Qralloq: Sometimes nothing's happening with your character and it's okay to not post, but stay vigilant. I know I try to bring the spotlight back around to other players when they haven't had a chance to participate for a bit.

Unfortunately we can't really track "checking in" so perhaps a an ooc post would be the best way to do that. I suppose now it's easier to ping people on discord if they haven't posted, but I assume we're not requiring that.
Curious - is there a preferred way to say.' yeah I'm here, but there's nothing for my character to do', or 'yeah I'm lurking, but don't know what to do'? I don't want to fill up the thread with ooc post
Sep 17, 2021 2:53 am
crazybirdman says:
Curious - is there a preferred way to say.' yeah I'm here, but there's nothing for my character to do', or 'yeah I'm lurking, but don't know what to do'? I don't want to fill up the thread with ooc post
Just say that.
Sometimes is it appropriate to do that in the RP, sometimes it is better in the OOC. Sometimes it is 'until this scene resolves, assume I am standing in the corner looking awkward' sometimes it is only for a single reply.

Basically: Communicate. Don't hesitate to fill up the OOC.
Sep 17, 2021 2:57 am
I think there's always something for the character to do. It may not be something that the player feels contributes to the task at hand, but it could be a simple description of them awaiting the result. People are usually thinking about something, looking at something, or doing something small, even while waiting for something else to happen.

George fidgeted with the hem of his shirt while the others spoke to the bartender. He had no idea whether his friends would succeed in obtaining permission to put their fundraising jar on the counter, but he hoped it would become another source of revenue for Paul's younger cousin.
Sep 17, 2021 7:33 am
emsquared says:

https://i.imgflip.com/5n2x3v.jpg
This is too true.

Me: Maybe if I refresh the page one more time someone will post!
Sep 17, 2021 10:20 am
CancerMan says:
I think there's always something for the character to do. It may not be something that the player feels contributes to the task at hand, but it could be a simple description of them awaiting the result. People are usually thinking about something, looking at something, or doing something small, even while waiting for something else to happen.

George fidgeted with the hem of his shirt while the others spoke to the bartender. He had no idea whether his friends would succeed in obtaining permission to put their fundraising jar on the counter, but he hoped it would become another source of revenue for Paul's younger cousin.
^^THIS! Some of the most interesting RP I have ever seen happened in the background, away from the spotlight.
vagueGM says:
crazybirdman says:
Just say that.
Sometimes is it appropriate to do that in the RP, sometimes it is better in the OOC. Sometimes it is 'until this scene resolves, assume I am standing in the corner looking awkward' sometimes it is only for a single reply.

Basically: Communicate. Don't hesitate to fill up the OOC.
^^But also THIS! So much this!
Sep 17, 2021 11:05 am
Quote:
^^THIS! Some of the most interesting RP I have ever seen happened in the background, away from the spotlight.
It can also lead to problems, though. I was in a game a long time ago, in my early GP days back in the far off past of 2019 where another player and I were far more active than most of the rest of the group so we kept getting into small RP bubbles with each other that, as I realized later on, derailed the overall game
Sep 17, 2021 11:08 am
Moderation is important. A player should only be sitting their character out occasionally and only when it makes sense that they are not actively involved in the scene right now.

If this keeps happening then the GM needs to do something.
Sep 17, 2021 12:49 pm
I heartily second (third) VagueGM's suggestion that players who aren't in the immediate action communicate and not sit idly by. I also get bowlofspinach's reservation, but it sounds like that was a situation where two players were heeding the social contract to communicate, while the others were not. Ideally, ALL of the players in that game should have been forming RP bubbles (or just RPing, or just posting OOC "I'm sitting back until my turn" kinds of messages.)

The bottom line for me is that PbP lives or dies by player activity. If the players stop posting, the game loses momentum, and the game dies. I would even call it the Golden Rule of Play-by-Post: When in doubt, post something.
Sep 17, 2021 3:12 pm
I find that posting rates, sort of help me with a guideline on adding OOC, "still here guys" and the likes but it can also make me feel like I am excluding others if I go above and beyond that rate or excluded myself when I can't keep up with others.

Sure, occasionally I can post every day all day long but when the post rate is 3-4 times a week and I am gone for 1 day and I come back to 2 pages of thread to go over before I can post. It is intimidating to get anything up and takes more prep work to follow what is happening. So there is always some fluidness needed and I try and keep others in mind when exceeding posting rates just as much as I am at trying to just match them.
Sep 18, 2021 12:10 pm
I just got my hands on a data dump, (thx adam), and thought I would share numbers of games started pr year showing these games posting frequencies. There are a lot of games that started in 2020 where the posting frequencies were set to 1 pr day.

https://i.imgur.com/8IPrxxB.png
Sep 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Interesting!

How about a comparison of stated posting frequency vs. the game's survival. There are many other factors, obviously, but you can't deny there's some correlation there worth scrutinizing.
Sep 18, 2021 2:28 pm
It’s a good idea, but that data isn’t available to us.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.