Hi folks

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Sep 17, 2021 7:09 pm
Is scifi more broad than fantasy actually? I find it interesting that scifi was called out here but fantasy wasn't...
Sep 17, 2021 7:15 pm
witchdoctor says:
Welcome aboard!

I'm sure you'll find something to play soon enough. Have you played much Star Trek Adventures?
I finished my turn as GM for one of my two RPG groups and the person who picked up the GM mantle for this round just started running Star Trek Adventures about 2 months ago, so I only have about 6 sessions under my belt as a player. I'm really enjoying it though! The system very much lends itself to the feeling of being in a Star Trek TV show, which is very cool.

My biggest criticism is that the core rule book is just an editing mess. I find it very difficult to find information quickly, due to their choice of using LCARS layout for everything and none of it is very concise. The book is chocked full of flavor text, but it isn't differentiated enough from useful sidebars that it takes a while to sort it all out. Sometimes the flavor text even breaks up the useful information which is just maddening to me. It's a common criticism I have of most modern RPG rule books to be honest. Luckily there are a lot of really well made fan reference sheets around so that helps immensely.

But the system and game itself has been great so far!
Sep 17, 2021 7:42 pm
Constablebrew says:
Hi there!

Your timeline sounds much like mine. Tons of different games over the years. I remember when a friend first introduced me to 4e and I thought "Cool, this is like an rpg made into a war game."

Speaking of Serenity and PbtA, I've been slowly growing a desire to play the upcoming Ironsworn: Star Forged. Maybe we could round up some folks and get something going.
I've heard of Ironsworn, but I'm not personally familiar with it. I'll have to look it up to see if it's something that tickles my fancy.
Sep 17, 2021 7:44 pm
I joined a Star Trek Adventures game a while ago but it didn't really get past character creation. The CC was fun, though. And I repurposed the character for a game in a different system since. I think STA really helps with making a good, fleshed out character, which is always a plus. I can't speak for the system in game play, though
Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I joined a Star Trek Adventures game a while ago but it didn't really get past character creation. The CC was fun, though. And I repurposed the character for a game in a different system since. I think STA really helps with making a good, fleshed out character, which is always a plus. I can't speak for the system in game play, though
Shame you didn't get to play. I really like systems that use Lifepath character creation. It helps a lot of people have a better idea of who their character is.
Last edited September 17, 2021 8:17 pm

Len

Sep 18, 2021 3:44 am
Welcome to the community, Natural_Causes!
Sep 18, 2021 4:36 am
Natural_Causes says:
I left it broad because my interests are broad, although maybe that wasn't helpful./quote]

Hehe.

[quote="Natural_Causes"]... Hardscifi (That one is actually pretty hard to play. Everyone has to be SUPER invested) ...
Agreed. I wish it were otherwise.
A solid ruleset that lays out the physics and such would go a long way, then the player investment would only need to be at the 'reading the book' level. Unfortunately I have not found anything the does both solid physics rules, and tolerable game rules, so have had to try defining the physics myself, which is a constant fight.
Sep 18, 2021 4:20 pm
Welcome Natural_Causes.

Sci Fi is so great, I love that you included Afrofuturism, which has become a keening siren in my interest pile recently. As for hard sci fi, there is a small consistent demand for The Expanse RPG here, which certainly follows hard SF themes.

As to D&D 5e burnout, I agree. I don't really care about the flaws or cracks, and couldn't name any, but after playing and running a bunch of 5e games, I'm looking for new stuff.
Sep 24, 2021 5:35 am
Qralloq says:
Welcome Natural_Causes.

Sci Fi is so great, I love that you included Afrofuturism, which has become a keening siren in my interest pile recently. As for hard sci fi, there is a small consistent demand for The Expanse RPG here, which certainly follows hard SF themes.

As to D&D 5e burnout, I agree. I don't really care about the flaws or cracks, and couldn't name any, but after playing and running a bunch of 5e games, I'm looking for new stuff.
Oh I could be down for playing around in The Expanse system sometime. I've also just picked up the Altered Carbon book, haven't had a chance to crack it open yet though. Love me some cyberpunk.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.