Chapter 2: Into the Mists

load previous
Oct 7, 2022 10:50 am
Anton's eyes widen. He scratches at his cheek nonchalantly to cover up his urge to yell "It is Castle Ravenloft, yes? You are all mad, no?"

Perhaps the idea of attacking spooky fortified castles is common among heroes. It scares the hell out of Anton, but he's trying to fit in with the cool kids.

"If we are sneaking, we must remember not to whistle, yes?" is his sage advice.
Oct 9, 2022 5:36 am
The fact that wine was so generously provided without much question is a significant signal to Knobbenkirk that things aren't so easily slipped past this woman. Perhaps there were beastly senses beneath that beastly skin? Knobby reassesses the situation and accepts the glass with a quenching swig.

"Oohh, that's nice," he comments. "Okay, well, you got a sharp nose there. The truth is, I was following you, because I wanted to see where all the goodies were. I figured if you were getting something to eat and drink, and you were getting it all by yourself, you probably got the inside scoop on the kitchen and larder; at least, moreso than those two fancy folk with the high noses and perfect faces.

"Anyway, so I was all set on checking things out, when you got way too efficient with the food-prep and next thing I know, you're heading back to the main area and asking where I was. I figured it wouldn't look good to suddenly pop out behind you, on account of how you had to hold all the munchies, so I stayed quiet and followed you again back into this place."

Knobby puts the bowl to his lips and swallows a helping of stew. "Where was I? Oh, right. Now, you might think that if I was so intent on checking out the kitchen, I could have just stayed in here while you were being a good servant. But I didn't, because that'd be rude!"

The gnome pauses, inwardly inspecting his bodily condition to see if he's been poisoned in any way, or at the very least if his stomach is halfway to contentment.

"So, yeah. That's pretty much why."
Oct 10, 2022 5:43 pm
Valryia growls quietly. "I vill say again that this is wery unnatural pless. Souls should move on after deathing. They should not be trapped in pless lek this to be reusing. Perhaps ve should not be lookink for vay to defeat evil vun, but in freeink souls that are trapped here."
Last edited October 10, 2022 5:43 pm
Oct 11, 2022 5:57 pm
Kitchen
Zygfrek Belview
Zygfrek raises an eyebrow at the long explanation, "Ah," she says, taking another sip of her wine, "I see. You could have just asked for food. There's always plenty."

Main Hall
The Abbot
"It's not that only the soul bearers can do something about him," The Abbot responds slowly, "It's that you'll never convince those without souls to raise up and fight in the first place. There's no passion at all within them. No happiness, no sadness, and no rage."

Ireena Kolyana
"If you plan to face Strahd, I think it best that I'm not there. He is obsessed with me and I don't want to deliver myself to him."

Ezmerelda d'Avenir
"If we are to confront him, it would be best that we track down this weapon of sunlight that you mentioned. I'm sure you're aware, but the sun doesn't truly shine here, which I think is why he is so strong."
Oct 11, 2022 6:16 pm
Lack of sunlight is part of why he is strong. But that he is also a powerful wizard vampire lord with a castle full of dark minions is another part too, no?

Anton's not being sarcastic, but he does think it's important that the heroes don't place too much faith in the power of vitamin D.
Oct 11, 2022 6:58 pm
KITCHEN
"Huh," says Knobby with a telltale pause of consideration. "I think that's the first time anyone in this dark land has ever been so generous."

He conveniently omits his previous experiences with people who may have been equally generous, for sake of continuing this pleasant conversation and distracting from further questions about his skulkering about. Another gulp of stew, and Knobbenkirk points to the pot. "May I have more?"
Oct 11, 2022 7:06 pm
I hole heartedly agree, fiar Ezmerelda. Does "In a graveyard or a crossroads of life and death" mean anything to you? Oberon also looks the the Abbot
Oct 12, 2022 9:14 pm
Kitchen
Zygfrek Belview
"You're a hungry little one, aren't you?" Zygfrek asks, ladling another bit of stew into his bowl and pouring some more wine, "So, I assume that you and your friends are stuck here?"

Main Hall
Ezmerelda d'Avenir
"There are plenty of graveyards in Barovia, of course," Ezmeralda replies, "But I can only think of one near a crossroads and that's back near Barovia village."

The Abbot
The Abbot nods, "That is the only one I can remember as well, though there's no way to be sure that it's the one."
Oct 12, 2022 11:09 pm
Kitchen
Knobbenkirk gorges himself on the stew like it will be his last. "You know," he says, wiping his mouth with the back of his arm, "a lot of people say that, and I guess it's still not clear what that really means. I mean, there was a really big wall, and we did get sorta turned around in the fog, but you'd think that if we just head in one direction without turning we'd eventually get out, right?"

He pauses. "But, weirdly, even though I can think about it right now, I don't get that urge to actually do it. You know what I mean? Like, we've just been going this way and that, finding people and places and everybody's got their troubles just like us, but the thought of actually trying to leave kinda floats away without much conscious effort."
Oct 15, 2022 7:16 am
Main Hall

Then I suggest that our next goal is to go to Barovia village. Do you have a map by chance?
Oct 15, 2022 8:33 am
Anton drains his glass.

"Barovia village, yes? I know the way. It is a simple route, yes? Perhaps we should stop in at Vallaki and look into Ireena's suggestion about the wealthy woman too, no?"
OOC:
Anton wasn't there for that suggestion, but perhaps somebody mentioned it on the journey - and we don't want to spend our time yoyoing around.

Besides, as a native of Vallaki, Lady Wachter would probably occur to Anton too.
Oct 24, 2022 10:59 am
The following morning, you wake early. It's an overcast day with a constant light drizzle of rain and you can tell travel today is going to be simply miserable.

The Abbot
You are fed a simple breakfast and given some provisions for the road. Ireena and the Abbot see you off, "Best of luck to you," The Abbot says, bowing his head, "May the Morninglord watch over you."

Ireena Kolyana
"I wish I could go with you," Ireena says sadly, "If you run into Ismark back in Vallaki, please let him know where to find me."
Oct 24, 2022 4:23 pm
Knobbenkirk ponders this news. "You're staying here?" he asks of Ireena.
Oct 24, 2022 5:45 pm
"Is probably best. Ve cannot nanny her about vhile goink into dangerous plesses."
Last edited October 24, 2022 5:46 pm
Oct 24, 2022 6:17 pm
"She fought off attacks upon her home with her brother," says Knobbenkirk. "It's less about being her nanny and more about being her reinforcements."
Oct 25, 2022 6:26 pm
Ireena Kolyana
"It's not that I don't think I can fight," Ireena says, clearly not happy with her voluntary removal from the team, "I just don't think it wise that I accompany you directly into the home of an ancient vampire who wants to make me his bride."

"If you'd rather I go, I'll be glad to do so," she says a moment later, allowing her first points to sink in.
Oct 25, 2022 11:18 pm
"Oh right," says Knobby, looking at Oberon and remembering his declaration of battling the dark lord of this land. "Well, then it's probably a good call. You've got the wine and sanctity of this shrine, so maybe it's equal-enough protection."

He looks at the others. "I think we head back to Vallaki for starters, look for her brother, then see about where to go from there.

"So what did you all find out from the Vistana woman that the fortune-teller told us about?"
Oct 26, 2022 7:59 am
We got a strong lead on weapon the fortune-teller told us about. We also learned that we are few that have a real soul here, and that is why people don't stand up to him. They are soulless.

What did you learn Knobby?
Oct 26, 2022 8:25 am
runekyndig says:
They are soulless.
Anton raises his eyebrows at that. It's generally considered rude to mention someone's disability. Sure, everyone in Barovia was trapped in a terrifying spiritual prison, but that's no excuse for being a dick.

"If we are killing vampires then we should get garlic and wooden stakes, yes?"

He looks to Esme for confirmation. You'd think a native of this demi-plane would know all about killing vampire lords - but the subject's never come up before, for the same reason that fireball-swallowing techniques are rarely discussed - the people who've tried it are history (and a little bit geography too).
Oct 26, 2022 3:13 pm
OOC:
I had posted something but then I realized the thing that I had posted in response to wasn't actually said in-character, so ignore this post.
Last edited October 26, 2022 3:16 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.