Chapter 1: The Witchlight Carnival

Len

Oct 4, 2021 5:59 pm
Chapter 1: The Witchlight Carnival

Please enjoy some ambience music while you read!
BEVEN, REYNARD, SARYNN, AND TWISP
Our story begins on the outskirts of Silverymoon, the Jewel of the North. When the sun set last night, there was naught but a hilly forest, and when the sun rose this morning, the trees and hills had stepped aside to make way for a fairground of kaleidoscopic tents and wagons. For the first time in eight years, the Witchlight Carnival has returned to Faerûn.

Four people have been waiting for this day. Sarynn Thalshay and Twisp McNivens have been trying to get back to their home Prismeer, a delightful Fae domain. They have heard rumours that the Witchlight Carnival contains a portal to return to their home, and determined the time and location of its return to Faerûn. In their preparations, they have met Reynard Sylaranth and Beven, residents of Silverymoon.

These four experienced an inexplicable but undeniable bond when they met. Without knowing how or why, they each recognized the others as people who had lost something in mysterious circumstances long ago. For reasons they can't explain, the longing to retrieve that which they lost has intensified as though an old spell has faded away, allowing them to feel the loss as sharply as if it happened yesterday. And like an itch you can't scratch, they all feel drawn the carnival tonight as if your loss was a lodestone.

As if brought together by fate, these four stand on the outskirts of town, the Witchlight Carnival before them. The first stars of night twinkle above the apricot sunset. Giant dragonflies whir overhead, trailing streamers, and a low mist curls over the ground. Through a floral archway, they glimpse wondrous and vibrant creatures - elf stilt walkers, dancing faeries, and apainted performers. Everywhere there is laughter, pixie dust, bubbles, and the wistful tune of a whistling calliope.
OOC:
CancerMan, Jabes, naatkinson, and Verrain, please introduce your character! Feel free to interact among yourselves and approach the carnival when you are ready.

QUENNAN
Another has also felt the longing of loss and drawn to this night. The long history between the Drow and the people of the surface is full of animosity, and so it is no surprise the Quennan Amakiir has chosen to arrive quietly. This is not his first visit to Silverymoon, and he is not unwelcome here - such is the open-mindedness of its citizens. However, old wounds heal slowly, and it is good sense for Drow of good character to approach with care.

Quennan watches from the tree line as people from Silverymoon walk up the lantern-lit path to the carnival's entrance. He has been drawn here by an increasing, inexplicable longing for something he lost when he was very young. As he watches, a tree taps him on the shoulder.

"Hrum, hroom," says the tree, its voice slow, sonorous, rumbling and ancient all at the same time. "Little leaf, you are no thief. I can tell, you have the smell of one entranced by nature's spell. Why do you wait outside the gate?"
OOC:
KCC - feel free to introduce your character and start acting in the world!

JULES
Under the colorful tents, enchanting music, and glittering light, the hands of the Witchlight Carnival have been working overtime to get the everything ready for opening night. These folks are the backbone of the carnival, a motley collection of individuals who operate many of the booths, make repairs, feed and exercise the animals, keep an eye out for thieves and other miscreants, and perform all the miscellaneous tasks as dictated by the carnival owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light.

One of these hands is Jules Honeyfriend. Inside a tent in the STAFF ONLY area just behind the Big Top, he stands before one of his bosses, a towering Loxodon clown named King Toot. King Toot is busy putting on his costume with the help of a small entourage of fairies fluttering about, and they give Jules some instructions while they work.

"Honeyfriend! Listen up! I'm giving you the night off!"

"The night off!?" echo the fairies in sing-song fashion.

"I can't help but notice you're looking a little deflated by gnomish standards as of late. That simply will not do!"

"That simply will not do!" echo the fairies in sing-song fashion.

"All work and no play makes Jules a dull boy, eh? Go on! Have a good time. Here! Take a ticket!"

"Take a ticket!" echo the fairies in sing-song fashion.

"Free of charge! Tonight you are a guest!"

"Be our guest! Be our guest!" echo the fairies in sing-song fashion.

"And maybe take a stopper of pixie dust in case you get lost, which is almost inevitable. No offense, of course! What's plain is plain."

"What's plain is plain!" echo the fairies in sing-song fashion.

King Toot reaches out with his massive pachyderm hand and drops in Jules' possession three things: a ticket (good for eight rides), a set of fabric butterfly wings to strap on your back (to indicate you're a paying customer), and a small glass vial of glittering pink and blue dust.
[ +- ] Pixie Dust
OOC:
soises, feel free to introduce your character and jump right in!
Oct 5, 2021 1:02 am
Standing in the growing shadows, Sarynn leans against her spear. Her skin carries a violet hue, like the setting sun across the storm. Motes of light glisten in her eyes as amethyst irises draw from ink-stained pupils. Wild black hair set out in all directions, as though driven by wanderlust to be free from restraint. Her ears have elongated tips, elf-like, save for their rounded tips that belie a human origin.

Her bag clumps heavily upon her back, sagging her shoulders with travel and memories. "Yes," she monotones, unprompted, "it does feel like home." Her words lack emotion, as though all sadness and mirth have been drawn out like a vacuum through the narrow focus upon the floral archway.
Oct 5, 2021 1:16 am
"It feels nothing like my home." Beven replies quietly. "I think that's why I'm here." Beven runs a hand through his curly brown hair. His spectacles hang on a chain around his neck over a white shirt and reddish-brown vest. A lute and backpack with papers jutting out of every opening jostle for position on his back.
Oct 5, 2021 2:58 am
Reynard stands at the archway with his new companions, unsure if he's doing the right thing here. He feels for a moment as if he should just go home. At least until he hears a voice from his shadow, which seems to be standing about six feet away from him.

"No, Darius," he says with a sigh, "I don't think we should," he pauses for a moment, "Because I'm a lawyer, that's why. It's illegal and I don't want to spend the weekend in jail..."

Despite his odd behavior, Reynard is quite normal looking. Raven black hair, cut short, accentuates the slightly pointed ears of his half-elven heritage. His build retains some of its previous muscle despite the lack of recent use. His clothing is simple, if well-made, traveling clothes combined with battered but well-maintained chain mail, sword, and shield.
Oct 5, 2021 7:43 am
Looking up at the towering Loxodon, Jules nods agreeingly and accepts the gifts with a self-conscious smile. It is true. All the noise, lights, glitterbombs, faery songs and so on had their allure, but... they started to feel empty by no. Perhaps it is time to see the carnival from another perspective again. "Bless you, Toot." the gnome mutters gratefully and puts his colors into the hands of a pixie who happens to zip by.

The last, weeks, months, ... whatever - he had been putting up makeup on artists, painting the faces of visiting children and had designed one or two quite interesting body-painting jobs on some nymph ladies he would remember for the rest of his life. Good times that. By now he even got reasonably good at it. But it isn`t the fulfilment Jules is looking for.

Coming out of the tent, careful not to be run over by somebody, he gingerly straps on his little butterfly wings and wanders across the lawn into the middle of the clearing. All while mumbling to himself:

"Come on and lift your glass
You've won your own free pass
To be our guest
If you're stressed, it's fine dining we suggest
Be our guest! Be our guest! Be our guest!"

Feeling gleeful again, he looks out for the cotton candy. And a throwing booth! He wants to throw something and win a teddy. Or at least some flowers!

KCC

Oct 5, 2021 11:45 am
Quennen had been leaning, one handed, against the tree as he watched the procession into the festival. As soon as he feels it rumble to life, he jerks back his hand embarrassed. Sheepishly:

"Sorry, old one. It was rude of me to wake you…"

The Drow cursed himself silently before continuing.

"Well… I suppose… well…" he trips over himself.

"Perhaps you know of my people. The people beneath. Well… I don’t want to make a fuss."

He’s gaze falls back across the line of attendees. Would they comment. Likely not. At least not openly. But it always helped to minimize the risks.

"And… well, I’m just taking some air. I don’t intend to stay above long. And I like the way the trees smell up here…"
Oct 5, 2021 8:25 pm
JULES
Stepping out of the area reserved for the carnival hands, Jules finds himself immediately swept up in the festive sea of Silverymoon residents, each one awestruck and delighted no matter their age. Since he was a painter and a carnival hand, he didn't get to see a lot places in the carnival in action, much like how a single cog doesn't get to appreciate the beauty of a timepiece.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/avatars/20472/600/637677446430863372.pngA twelve-foot-tall walking tree garlanded in godlen ribbons marches down the thoroughfare. Emerald clouds swirl above the tree and rain down golden, spinning sycamore seeds. Fair-goers try to catch the seeds before they hit the ground. As the seeds genly fall, a chatty squirrel scampers along the boughs of the tree, handing dandelions to select passerby.

Jules knows who these folks are. The tree is Northwind, a treant sapling, and the squirrel is his trusty companion, Red. They always stride about the fair during the opening hour of the carnival, handing out gifts to all the guests. You've never received a gift before, of course, and you've always been too busy to really investigate it. The pair are moving away from The Big Top and toward the Ticket Booth.
OOC:
Here is a map of the carnival (click to enlarge)! You are currently at The Big Top (the big tent around the top center). You're welcome to interact with the scores of guests, Northwind and Red, or head off to any of the stalls (named with a yellow ribbon). Or, if you have other ideas, feel free to explore those too.
https://i.imgur.com/2WdCBDl.png
Oct 5, 2021 9:37 pm
QUENNAN
"Haroom, harum little one! You did not disturb my slumber; someone else gave limber to my lumber! Some wee folk in those big, bright tents, two finely dressed and well-met gents! They woke me up and asked me to move so they could park their circus groove. So much more polite than a woodman's axe's bite!"

The awakened tree uses its branches to gesture to the carnival.

"I do not know much about the people below. But! I'm sure you'll be welcome in that show!"

KCC

Oct 5, 2021 11:46 pm
Quennen smiles at the musical way in which the old tree speaks. The ones he tended below spoke slower, more deliberate, as if they were nursing a limited amount of words and were fearful to use them up.

"I’m sure you’re right. You know these folk better than I, old one! It was kind of you to agree to move! Only momentarily, I trust!"

He begins to set off, before turning back to the tree one final time.

"You’ve spoken to them. How would you describe the folk that run this place?"
Oct 5, 2021 11:55 pm
Beven sighs impatiently. "I know we said we'd wait for him but if there is one thing I know about Twisp, it is that he turns up in his own time when you least expect it. Let's go on in. I'm sure he'll catch up." Beven starts walking towards the ticket booth.
Oct 6, 2021 12:27 am
Sarynn watches Beven walk away. Silently, she remains where she is, evidently waiting for the harengon despite the latter's penchant for tardiness.

She closes her eyes, breathing in the focus of her surroundings. The carnival's pull does not seem to abate, so the rush of venturing within is tempered by a surprising amount of patience.
Oct 6, 2021 2:35 am
QUENNAN
The awakened tree continues to chat with you merrily.

"Oh, I think you will find they are very kind. At least in my mind, for they made me not blind!"

"It's not my first fair, oh I've seen my fair share. Every eight years they 'waken my derriere! The folks in charge, well, one's thin and one's large. The large one is Witch and thin one is Light and when they get to the end of the night they crown one guest King and this is a splendid thing.

"But pay the price of admission because some make it their mission to go fishin' in the pockets and souls of those who don't pay the tolls. But it's so worth the trouble - hroom! You can ride in a bubble!"
Oct 6, 2021 3:36 am
"Yeah, I suppose he will catch up," Reynard agrees, following after Beven "Can't be too hard to find someone here, right?"
Oct 6, 2021 5:57 am
BEVEN & REYNARD
You pass through the floral gate and cross a bridge that spans the river that surrounds the carnival (which are certain wasn't there yesterday). It isn't long before you make their way to the front of the queue.

A silver statue of a dancing faerie is mounted on the roof of this ticket booth and surrounded by fluttering butterflies. The booth is decorated with an animated depiction of the night sky, with shooting stars arcing across it.

An elderly goblin perches behind the ticket counter, peering at you quizzically through a spyglass. He lowers the spyglass and calls out to you: "Greetings, fair fairgoers!"
Oct 6, 2021 11:40 am
Beven watches the butterflies flutter and idly tries to trick of a rhyme for flutter that isn't butter. He turns his attention to the ticket seller. "Ahoy there." Beven raises a hand to return the greeting. "One ticket to enter the carnival please."
Oct 6, 2021 2:34 pm
Baffled by the shear mass of people and the number of languages they speak, Jules spins around a few times, but has no clue where to go and what to do. The carnival was terrible enough to navigate without people walking everywhere opened mouthed, but now ... Felling a bit helpless the little painter spots the walking sapling and he instantly has an idea.

Starting to run, Jules tries catching up with the treant and his companion. His new, colourful butterfly wings beat softly as he moves forward quickly. As soon the he is at their side, the young gnome shouts-out to the disproportionate duo*: "Please take me with you, comrades! I can`t see anything from down here!" And stretches his left high into the air to be better noticable. Maybe he gets picked up by Northwind, who towers above him about four times his size.
OOC:
* If necessary Jules uses his Forest Gnome feature: Speak with Small Beasts. Through sound and gestures, you may communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts.
Last edited October 6, 2021 2:36 pm
Oct 6, 2021 10:26 pm
JULES
https://www.dndbeyond.com/avatars/20472/600/637677446430863372.pngNorthwind leans down to hear what Jules has to say. Northwind doesn't recognize you as one of the hands at first, (telling humanoids apart for a treant doesn't come naturally), but he realizes it after seems utterly delighted with the idea.

"Why, you're that hand that has troubles with knowing which way the sun sets! Jewels, was it? Well, sure, come on up!"

Northwind leans down and extends one of his sycamore branches for you to climb up onto, and in a moment, you're towering above the crowds, able to see in all directions. The branches full of golden seeds.

Red the squirrel scampers up to you and speaks so swiftly it might take you a second or two to piece it together!

Northwind calls up to you once you are settled "Feel free to take a gift for yourself! Just pluck a seed!"

"Jewelsyougottatakeoneoftheselitdandelionsman!
blowtheseedsandmakeawish!"

Red hands you the stem of a dandelion that has gone to seed, its head a little white cloud of poufy spores and darts away again, while Northwind continues his slow march through the promenade.
OOC:
If you choose to make a wish, write the wish in a note using the note tags like this:
[note="Len"]My wish is ...[/note]

If you choose to take one of Northwind's golden seeds, roll a d8 to find out what it is!
Oct 6, 2021 10:40 pm
BEVEN & REYNARD
The ticketmaster, who is clearly having a busy night doesn't look up at you at first. Welcome, welcome. Eight silvers for each adult and three silvers for each child. Oh, wait a moment!" When the wrinkled goblin looks up, he adjusts a pair of spectacles to look at you more closely. There is a certain knowing twinkle in his eye.

"Say, aren't you Beven? And your name is Reynard! I'll wager it's true or my name isn't Nikolas Midnight! It's your lucky day! Someone has left a ticket for each of you. Aren't you special!"

If you admit to these being your names, Nikolas reaches under the ticket counter and produces an ornate wooden box with a silver clasp and the monogram N.M. He opens the clasp, reaches inside, and produces two tickets and hands them to each of you.

"Good for eight attractions! You can always get another if you run out, but you'll have to pay for the next one!"

He also hands you a map of the carnival with various marked locations and a large set of cloth butterfly wings, which you are instructed to wear to show you're a paying customer.

"Yours to keep!" He says, and then gives a bit of a frown. "Hmm, I thought there was supposed to be five of you. The rest of your party running late? Ah well, no matter!"
Oct 6, 2021 10:57 pm
Beven stands there blinking as Nikolas keeps speaking impossible words. "Yes I am Beven but there are only four in our party and two running late." He accepts the ticket and wings from the goblin with a bemused smile. "Do you know who our benefactor is this night? I should like thank them."
Oct 7, 2021 12:53 am
Reynard takes the tickets hesitantly, "Thank you, I think," he says with raised eyebrow, "I'd also love to know the identity of our mysterious friend as well as how you know our names, even."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.