Early Interest Check - Pathfinder 1e AP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 25, 2021 6:23 am
Hello everyone!

This is not a recruitment thread, but a very early interest thread to see what people might like to see ran at some point in the future, as I want to start prepping and laying groundwork for how I want to do things.

The plan is to run a Pathfinder 1e Adventure Path (AP) from Lvl 1. There are lots of options, but I've boiled things down to a small list, which I'm posting below, along with some quick notes on each to help offer an idea on the type of story the AP tells. If potentially interested in joining such a game in the coming months, please weigh in and let me know which 1 or 2 AP's speak to you.
1. Strange Aeons - Lovecraftian/cosmic horror, interesting start involving PC's w/ lost memories, RP heavy but well-balanced with good fights, risky/scary encounters, would use fear/sanity rules.

2. Rise of the Runelords - Paizo's first Golarion AP, still highly rated. Lots of action, light on intrigue, some good horror beats.

3. Skulls & Shackles - Sandbox pirates on a high seas adventure, naval combat, fiefdom building; would ask for non-lawful characters - PC's would need to be okay with piracy, plunder, and such.

4. Carrion Crown - Mix of Lovecraftian and gothic horror w/ lots of RP opportunity. Will consider using the Intrigue and/or Occult systems for this one.

5. War for the Crown - Spy adventure of grand political mechanizations; lots of 'shades of grey'; light on dungeons and loads of intrigue. More RP than fighting in this one. There is a heavy theme of social reform. Apparently very well-written.
This will be my first game ran on GP, so I plan to take some time and learn some of the nuances of the site from a GM perspective. I have ran PbP games in the past, but it's been a while and I want to figure out exactly how I want to integrate maps, visuals, and other media to help tell the story.

I look forward to hearing what people are interested in and I will commit to getting something up when I am ready and delivering the best experience I can.
Oct 25, 2021 6:44 am
I'm not interested in PF1
Oct 25, 2021 7:19 am
I have not played Pathfinder before, but would be very interested in playing Lovecraftian stuff that's divorced from its usual setting.
Oct 25, 2021 7:27 am
1st edition:

Carrion Crown or Strange Eons
Oct 25, 2021 10:19 am
Played the start of Strange Aeons here before that game had to stop. Pretty interesting stuff, had me reading the rest of the adventure (Book 1, not the entire path) to see what happens. Everything else is game, though Skulls & Shackles would probably be my pick due to the "fiefdom building" part, I'm a sucker for domain level play and all that Kingmaker-style stuff. Got a bunch of games already rolling on GP, but do consider me if you're sorely missing one last player to get this off the ground.
Oct 25, 2021 10:30 am
I have a personal preference not to join another Rise of the Runelords game (already in one, and playing the same module not only twice but at the same time seems...problematic), but Strange Aeons and Carrion Crown sound like fun.
Oct 25, 2021 11:12 am
If I'm more free than I currenttly am and you're running carrion crown I may be up for it. (Possibly war for the crown but I know the first couple of books, and the nature of the game that's a but more problematic than possibly others) Others I'm played/have played/have run etc. Though if your not bothered by that for skull and Shackles I'm always up for good pirate fun if you need another player.. (On that note if you want any resources for strange aeons like already sorted tokens hit me up, running it pbp for friends atm)
Oct 25, 2021 11:34 am
Strange Aeons has my vote. I would love to play an occult class. The Kineticist is so sexy to me and I've never been able to play it.
Last edited October 25, 2021 12:08 pm
Oct 25, 2021 4:01 pm
I'd say Carrion Crown or War for the Crown. I'd be up for either one of those, although I'd play in any of them.
Oct 26, 2021 6:04 am
Thanks for the responses so far!

So far, it looks like Strange Aeons and Carrion Crown are pretty close to each other for the lead.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Oct 26, 2021 8:02 am
I'd be interested in Strange Aeons or War for the Crown.
Oct 26, 2021 10:46 pm
I'd definitely be interested in Strange Aeons...
Oct 26, 2021 10:58 pm
Glad to see some love for Pathfinder 1e :)
Oct 27, 2021 9:11 pm
I'm running Carrion Crown and Skull & Shackles on another board. My group and I did not enjoy Strange Aeons when I ran the first book for them. The Lovecraftian feel was just out of place in the fantasy genre. I have run Skull and Shackles, but of all the ones you listed, it's the one I'd most like to experience as a player. I ran the first book of Rise of the Runelords and was unimpressed. I've not played or looked at War for the Crown, but it doesn't seem the kind of thing that would interest me.

If you decide to run S&S, I'd love to take a slot, but since I have run it, I would defer to someone who has not experienced it yet. It is a lot of fun! My players still talk about it fondly and we finished it five years ago!
Last edited October 27, 2021 9:12 pm
Nov 1, 2021 6:28 am
WhtKnt says:
I ran the first book of Rise of the Runelords and was unimpressed.
You're the first person I've heard who hasn't liked it. I've run and played the first 3 books and they are amazing. The first book starts off a little slow and sandboxy since it was their first AP and it's kind of an introduction, but it really picks up in book two.
Nov 1, 2021 5:39 pm
nezzeraj says:
WhtKnt says:
I ran the first book of Rise of the Runelords and was unimpressed.
You're the first person I've heard who hasn't liked it. I've run and played the first 3 books and they are amazing. The first book starts off a little slow and sandboxy since it was their first AP and it's kind of an introduction, but it really picks up in book two.
I have also heard nothing but good things, overall, for RotRL. I hope to play through it one day, though I did play the entirety of it through the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game lol
Nov 4, 2021 12:17 am
Would love to run RotRL's all the way through. Did about half of the first book and liked it.
Nov 4, 2021 10:46 am
I'll play anything so long as an Aether Kineticist healer will work. I just want to play the class.
Nov 10, 2021 8:40 pm
Thank you again everyone for the incredible responses of interest!

I will be running Strange Aeons in the somewhat near future. Stay tuned for a proper recruitment thread. There's enough interest that I will likely do a proper recruitment for this w/ minimal applications. Details will follow - I'm reading through the entire AP and getting some things in order so that I can do things properly before I open it up.

If it goes well and bandwidth is not an issue, I may later run another game - probably Skulls and Shackles.

Thanks again!
Nov 10, 2021 11:15 pm
Sounds great! Look forward to it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.