The Shady Dragon Inn

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Nov 18, 2021 10:47 am
My response last night was written without refreshing my memory on the details of the Oathbreaker asset. So, I decided to re-read the asset before I responded again, and I am glad that I did. I had forgotten two things. The first is that the prerequisite for taking the Oathbreaker asset is more than just fictional positioning. It requires you to have made the move, Forsake Your Vow.

The text of Oathbreaker begins: "Once you Forsake Your Vow..."

From the core book pg 102:

FORSAKE YOUR VOW
When you renounce your quest, betray your promise, or the goal is lost to you, clear the vow and Endure Stress. You suffer -spirit equal to the rank of your quest (troublesome=1; dangerous=2; formidable=3; extreme=4; epic=5).
There is a spirit penalty for making the move, Forsake Your Vow. The Oathbreaker asset awards a stat point if the character re-swears the vow that they gave up on when they used Forsake Your Vow if they are able to fulfill it the second time around. That is worth a bonus Stat point if you can pull it off.

Simply making the fictional claim that someone spread a lie about your character and swearing (and fulfilling) a vow to settle the score is nowhere near as significant of an accomplishment. It is no different from completing any other vow and doesn't deserve the extra reward.

The fiction that you are proposing is fine. I think it makes for an interesting character that should be fun to play. It doesn't satisfy the pre-requisite for invoking the mechanics of the Oathbreaker asset, though.

I realize that is a completely different argument from the one that I was making last night. So, to respond based on my previous position. A character's assets are part of what defines who they are. It's not about how other people see them, it is them.

Edit: To be perfectly clear... I am not suggesting that there is any reason to change your character's backstory. I think the backstory is great.

Second Edit: Having said all of that. It is just my opinion. It is how I would handle that character concept if I were playing it. I'm not. You are.
So, take my opinion with a grain of salt and do whatever is fun for you.
Last edited November 18, 2021 11:06 am
Nov 18, 2021 3:43 pm
I mean, I recognize that RAW, you aren't supposed to start with those. But in my solo play I have chosen to start with those sometimes, because it seemed fun. Likewise, if it seems like it will make for good fun here, I'm ok with it.
Nov 19, 2021 7:58 am
@the_puppeteer. That explanation sounds way more justified than the original. sorry if I seemed defensive. The original explanation felt like one that started with some one pushing up their glasses and sayng "Well actually..." But if there are mechanical elements at play then no, you are right, it shouldn't be one that I start with. I'll take outlaw as my third asset. Then I think I"m ready to play.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.