The Shady Dragon Inn

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 9, 2021 11:27 pm
A Repository for PC's and NPC's

quote, copy and paste the form below to allow for ironsworn characters in the character sheet part.
Nov 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Character Experience
... Earned: 0 Spent: 0

STATS Edge Heart Iron Shadow Wits
RATING 1 3 2 1 2

MOMENTUM Max Reset
+2 +10 +2

Health Spirit Supply
+5 +5 +5

Bonds
[][][][][] [][][][][]

Vows

RANK PROGRESS
___
TROUBLESOME DANGEROUS FORMIDABLE EXTREME EPIC [][][][][] [][][][][]

___

___

___

___

Debilities
CONDITIONS BANES BURDENS
[] Wounded [] Maimed [] Cursed
[] Unprepared [] Corrupted [] Tormented
[] Shaken
[] Encumbered

Assets
[ +- ] asset 1
[ +- ] asset 2
[ +- ] asset 3
[/quote]
Nov 11, 2021 12:31 am
I also made a character sheet template. Yours looks like it's easier to edit, though.
[ +- ] Template
Nov 11, 2021 2:56 pm
Use the one you want, no problem. Yours is rather eye-catchy!
Nov 11, 2021 7:52 pm
They both look good. I'm going to play with the Arcanum supplement. So, I'll be making a sheet that includes the chaos track. I'm not sure, off hand, if there is anything else that I'll need to add, or not. Regardless, I'll post it when I get it finished. (Tonight sometime, I hope.)

Edit: The Chaos Track was all that needed to be added. So, rather than doing a new template, I'll just add it to the bottom of the sheet.
Last edited November 12, 2021 1:08 am
Nov 13, 2021 4:49 am
Valdus says:
Use the one you want, no problem. Yours is rather eye-catchy!

So, should we be posting character sheets here or submitting them in the normal way via the game page?

I’ve got my player character in progress. I just need to work out a few details like the name and second vow, but here’s the concept:

I was thinking that having a human companion (the ‘Kindred’ asset) would make for some good storytelling on a solo adventure. My first thought was to do something like the traditional knight character with his squire, but then I had the idea to turn it around and make the squire the player character and the knight the companion. That idea tickled me so much I had to do it. So, what I’m imagining is a bright, and reasonably competent squire who has to suffer under the command of a buffoonish knight who, despite being useless at pretty much everything, still sees fit to send the pair into danger again and again, leaving it to the squire save their skins.
Nov 13, 2021 2:50 pm
I like it, I like it a lot, so you will be venturing forth by yourself. Will you be venturing out of Fort Arneson or are you going to pick another coast?

I am getting on a ironsworn character creator on perchance, I find myself slightly uninspired. I'll roll out about ten characters and suddenly, whap, its done.

Though I wonder if the fiction can handle an older hero, maybe with some experience, coming out of retirement because of this promise of the Cobalt Isle. Yes, I think I will.
Nov 13, 2021 4:24 pm
I'm going to play Leif Scaleheart, a totem warrior with a wyvern companion. Leif's clan in the Ironlands lives in a mountainous region historically populated by wyverns. They revere the animals, and a few rare individuals are able to bond with them. During the last generation, however, the wyverns began to disappear, and the clans don't know why. They sought the out a seer to help them understand, and the seer said the answer lies in the Cobalt Isles. Leif is one of the last members of his clan to successfully bond with a young wyvern. The two have travelled to the Cobal Isles to try to solve the mystery of the disappearing wyverns, and if possible, bring them back. He has little to go on other than the notion that the answer lies somewhere in the Isles. So his only recourse is to explore and adventure until he finds what he's looking for.
Nov 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Valdus says:
Though I wonder if the fiction can handle an older hero, maybe with some experience, coming out of retirement because of this promise of the Cobalt Isle. Yes, I think I will.
Perhaps this older hero has lost some of their edge, which explains why they don't have lots more experience than the younger folks. But with a little bit of determination, they can get that edge back.
Nov 13, 2021 4:45 pm
Valdus says:
I like it, I like it a lot, so you will be venturing forth by yourself. Will you be venturing out of Fort Arneson or are you going to pick another coast?
Oh, I definitely think we should all be adventuring out of the same hub. That way our characters can at least know each other and have some shared touchstones even when they're not adventuring together. Plus it allows us to potentially mix up the groups in future adventures (assuming we survive).

By the way, is it 'Ameson' or 'Arneson'? I kind of prefer Ameson, since it's less common in the real world and therefore sounds more like a fantasy name.
Nov 13, 2021 4:46 pm
Old Kurgan
[ +- ] Background
The things I can think of on a Saturday morning!
Quote:
By the way, is it 'Ameson' or 'Arneson'? I kind of prefer Ameson, since it's less common in the real world and therefore sounds more like a fantasy name.
I named the founder and the fortress after David Arneson, co-creator of D&D. So I got to stick with that, will edit out the other.
Nov 14, 2021 7:58 pm
I checked out the perchance character generator and while I agree it was underwhelming, I did find it useful to scratch out a concept.

Shona comes from the Ironlands in search of a man named Qamar. He caused great harm to her in the past, and caused her to become an outcast. After she was forced to flee in the face of these false accusations, she wandered the Ironlands, living off the land and her wits. In spite of her dire straights, she never forgot nor forgave Qamar, nor did she ever stop dreaming of the life she left. After visiting a village on the coast, she heard something she never thought she would hear again. Qamar's name. Apparently he had traveled to these Cobalt Islands. Shona booked passage on the next ship out.
Nov 15, 2021 4:28 am
Valdus says:
I named the founder and the fortress after David Arneson, co-creator of D&D. So I got to stick with that, will edit out the other.
Got it—that sounds good!
optimumsquare says:
Shona comes from the Ironlands in search of a man named Qamar. He caused great harm to her in the past, and caused her to become an outcast. After she was forced to flee in the face of these false accusations, she wandered the Ironlands, living off the land and her wits. In spite of her dire straights, she never forgot nor forgave Qamar, nor did she ever stop dreaming of the life she left. After visiting a village on the coast, she heard something she never thought she would hear again. Qamar's name. Apparently he had traveled to these Cobalt Islands. Shona booked passage on the next ship out.
I like it! I'm glad to see that we'll have a lady PC in the mix. Indeed, it sounds like we've got some great character concepts all around. I submitted a character sheet for my guy as well.

So, is there anything else we need to do before we get started?
Nov 17, 2021 6:46 am
Okay. Here is Shona "Long Gone" I took the bones of the concept I rolled from that character generator and added a few things I thought were cool. Like Blade-bound. The basic concept is a wandering swordswoman wielding the blade of her forbears. She has traveled far after hearing a rumor that the man who exiled her from her home has come to the Cobolt Isles. See her bonds for a more filled out backstory.

Also, I think that those two characters who I made up in my bonds can be used by the partiy as npc's by anyone. It may have been presumptuous, but I made an npc for the owner of the shady dragon. Let me know if that's okay. If it's not, Jacklyn can be the proprietor of a different establishment. I may change things around a bit. I assigned her stats and picked assets before writing her backstory, and now that I've finished it, I kind of want to change things.

How would you guys feel about me taking oathbreaker as an asset instead of improviser? Originally, I was thinking that she had to live out in the wilds on her own, but when I wrote her story out, that just didn't think important. Instead I'm thinking that instead of breaking an oath, she was just dishonored, maybe by a false accusation from Qamar. Let me know what you think. I deliberately left it vague to make it easier to incorporate feedback.
[ +- ] Sheet
[ +- ] asset 1 Improviser
[ +- ] asset 2: Swordmaster
[ +- ] asset 3 Blade Bound
[ +- ] Bond 1: Mornhollow
[ +- ] Bond 2: Talvus Mendar, Captain of the Fair Price
[ +- ] Bond 3: Jacklyn Delovaire, Proprietor of the Shady Dragon
Last edited November 17, 2021 7:45 am
Nov 17, 2021 8:58 am
My understanding of the rules is that assets like Blade bound and Oath Breaker would only be taken when certain requirements within the fiction are fulfilled—the ones at the top of the asset card. I don't personally have a huge problem with you taking them if there's a narrative justification, but I would first want to see if there's a way to make your character concept work within the rules as written. Like maybe Shona has the ancestral blade but hasn't bonded with it yet. Then at some point she can go on a quest to bond with her sword that will give her Blade Bound as a reward. Something like that.

As for NPCs, make any you like! We're all equally qualified to establish stuff like that.
Last edited November 17, 2021 10:22 am
Nov 17, 2021 9:09 am
I don't think that it is presumptuous to have created a proprietor for the Inn. I think that by participating in this game we are agreeing to accept each other's contributions. For now, at least, that means we have to read the board in its entirety whether we have a character in that thread or not. That may continue to be the case. I can't think of a better way to inform each other about the things we discover and/or flesh out as we play. No one else has written about the inn's proprietor yet, so I think that it is fair game.

We would benefit from a thread without any conversation where we can post any NPC's, settlements, and delve sites that we create (Separate threads, one for each of those groups would be even better). Basically, it would be a world reference thread. Any discussion about items in that thread should be done in a different OOC thread. That way if anyone has any questions about what has or hasn't been established about the game world they only have to look in one place and they don't have to sort through commentary to find what they are looking for. if you were so inclined, you could start that thread with your NPC's.

Regarding the oathbreaker asset... Personally, I think it is fine to start with oathbreaker as an asset as long as the character's background justifies it. I don't think that a false accusation is enough, though. The character needs to have broken an oath. That isn't to say that they had to do so deliberately. Circumstances beyond their control may have made it impossible for them to do otherwise. Regardless of how it happened, I think that by taking that asset you are acknowledging that the character has broken an oath.
Nov 17, 2021 10:25 am
the_puppeteer says:
We would benefit from a thread without any conversation where we can post any NPC's, settlements, and delve sites that we create (Separate threads, one for each of those groups would be even better). Basically, it would be a world reference thread. Any discussion about items in that thread should be done in a different OOC thread. That way if anyone has any questions about what has or hasn't been established about the game world they only have to look in one place and they don't have to sort through commentary to find what they are looking for. if you were so inclined, you could start that thread with your NPC's.
Good idea!

Or heck, we could make a wiki, if we want to go all out XD
Last edited November 17, 2021 10:31 am
Nov 18, 2021 1:44 am
Okay, In character justification for being blade bound: It's a family sword that is imbued with the spirits of all Shona's ancestors who have wielded the blade. I hinted at this in the background bond, but didn't expressly state it. It draws from a lot of legends around family swords. I thought it was very fitting for the Ironsword campaign setting and it was a cool asset. That is pretty much exactly what is on the top of the asset card; "Once you mark a bond with a kin-blade, a sentient weapon imbued with the spirit of your ancestor..." and then it goes on to give you your options.

As for oathbreaker, I feel like being falsely accused of a crime, say desertion of an important post, is functionally no different than being an actual oathbreaker. Society still looks down on you. There are severe consequences and penalties to how you interact with others, and, most importantly, you are EXTREMELY incentivized to go adventuring. Going on a quest for vengeance, In my case, finding and killing Qamar, also functions the exact same way as it would if I was trying to redeem myself. Sure the card says "When you break an oath" but to me, this is a very simple "counts as" type of example where I'm just re flavoring something to better fit a character concept for no mechanical benefit, but I'd be curious to hear @the_puppeteer elaborate on why they don't think that should work. If we feel really strongly about it, I'll drop it, but I would like to hear an alternative way to capture this aspect of my character that doesn't involve me rewriting her backstory, because I've become rather fond of it.
Nov 18, 2021 3:07 am
I have no problem with people starting with assets like oathbteaker and bladebound.

With that said, most of the Oathbreaker asset reads (to me) like it is about the internal struggle of having knowingly broken an oath. Seems like if you want to be falsely accused of something, just put that in your backstory and maybe set your heart stat at 2 or 1. Or take the Outcast asset.
Nov 18, 2021 5:54 am
timplausible says:
I have no problem with people starting with assets like oathbteaker and bladebound.
Okay, timplausible knows this game better than me, so I'll defer to his judgement :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.