Notice Board (Quest Planning)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 16, 2021 5:03 am
I figured we could use a thread for planning co-op teamups.

Looking for a partner or partners to do a co-op quest into the Iron Marches? Post here.
Nov 16, 2021 5:05 am
As for me, I'd kind of like to co-op with at least one other Ironsworn. I'll be running Leif Scaleheart - a character that is almost all about bonding with his wyvern companion.
Nov 16, 2021 10:13 am
My Magi, Bastien, will soon be setting out on a journey under the assumption that he is either being summoned or invited to appear before an unknown entity. Neither he nor I have the slightest idea why he has been singled out, or why he has been summoned at all for that matter. It is entirely possible that it has something to do with wyverns. Leif is welcome to join him (as is anyone who would like to do so).
Nov 17, 2021 3:03 am
Maybe Leif and Bastien came to the Isles on the same ship: the one ship with a captain brave (or greedy) enough to sail with a mage and a wyvern. And now Leif is willing to help his new acquaintance. Leif might even suspect that meeting the mage is fate, and that helping him could lead Leif closer to his own goals.
Nov 17, 2021 8:18 am
That works for me. I'll get a thread started for us tomorrow. Do you want to role play our arrival at Fort Arneson, or should we pick it up as we are setting out into the unknown?
Nov 17, 2021 2:32 pm
Let's pick it up where we're setting out
Nov 17, 2021 11:41 pm
"A mage traveling alone in the Cobalt," Old Kurgan raised his head from watching his dog eat. "Not the best idea I heard but not the worst. Let me know if you need a good axe and a war-hound to watch your back."

OOC: Yeah I think Kurgan would be joining you, is that three? Do you all want to use the hexflower or keep simple for now?
Nov 17, 2021 11:52 pm
I'm very interested in trying out the hex flower, but since this started as the_puppeteer's quest for Bastien, they should decide.
Nov 18, 2021 12:04 am
Not a problem, we can always make characters just to try hexflower, no biggie. Fiction First!

On thing I do want to ask. Where is everyone starting out? If we are doing traditional West Marches, doesn't anything that is discovered become a permanent fixture in the setting?
Nov 18, 2021 12:09 am
Glad to have Old Kurgen with us, Valdus. Let's use the hex flower. Maybe once I see it in action I will understand how it is supposed to work.

The day has gotten away from me, I am sorry to say. I have a game starting on Roll20 in a few minutes and I haven't had dinner yet. I still intend to start the IC thread tonight, but it will be very late by the time I can get it done.
Nov 18, 2021 12:28 am
I started a Project Hexflower Thread in the subforums. Do we want to decide on an encounter list? Or use the one provided on drive thru?

We can use that thread, use the flower, make up our own encounter list on it, or you can start a new thread for our journey. As you wish.
Nov 18, 2021 3:17 am
I don't really like them idea of having a pre-planned list of encounters. That feels like it would detract from some of the magic of making Oracle roles and interpreting them on the fly. I think if the flower gives us an encounter, we should gen it up on the spot.
Nov 18, 2021 5:54 am
I'm with Timplausible on this one. Generating spontaneous encounters is part of the west march way as far as I understand it.
Nov 18, 2021 9:19 am
I have to say that I agree. I thought it was just a matter of the hex flower dictating the terrain type of each new hex. If that is not the case I would prefer to just do things 'by the book', or as close as we are able. I hope that is ok, and am sorry that I misunderstood what we were discussing.

I'm about to write up an opening post for the journey. Hopefully, it won't take long to get it done.

Testing my avatar with this post, too.
Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm
ok hexflower scrapped. No problem, I was having problems with the mechanics of filling the list on here anyway.
Nov 18, 2021 3:41 pm
I was thinking we could still use the hexflower to determine what we generally encounter - a monster? A ruin? A dungeon? But if I'm reading the hexflower right, it expects you to set up a random encounter table for when you do run across a monster. It's just that encounter table I'm not a fan of for this game. But using the flower to help shape our journey seems fine.
Nov 19, 2021 8:11 am
Well, since all you guys have partnered up with out me, I'm going to start a thread which I hope you'll all participate in. I'm going to run an "adventure" in the Shady Inn Tavern. It's going to be exceptionally low stakes, with the goal to be introducing everyone to everyone else, and me getting use to the mechanics. The pitch is its a slow night, and my patron has taken it off letting me run the bar. Of course the night may get a little crazier than anticipated. I notice that the_puppeteer mentioned you guys met in the bar the night before. This could be a great opportunity to rp it out. I'm thinking a group dm if that's alright. I'll post that tomorrow.
Nov 19, 2021 9:11 am
@optimumsquare, I didn't realize that you wanted your character to join in this excursion, but it's not too late. Our basic setup so far is that timplausible's character, Leif, has come to the cobalt isle looking into some sort of trouble with wyverns. He and/or his family has a special connection to them and he has reason to believe that the key to whatever is happening to them is here.

Leif met my character, Bastien, on the way out here. Bastien has been having a recurring dream in which someone or something out in the wilderness has been trying to get him to come out here. He is a mage whose magic is related to working with animals so his summons could potentially be related to the quest that Leif is on.

Vargus' character, Old Kurgen, is a local who has signed on as a guide, essentially. Someone who knows a little something about the area who, for whatever reason, has taken it upon himself to make sure that Leif and Bastien don't get in over their heads out in the wilderness.

Let's find a hook to tie your character in. Ideas?
Nov 19, 2021 5:59 pm
Yeah, we're still going through the steps of meeting up at the gate to head out on the journey. So feel free to write yourself in.
Nov 20, 2021 1:13 am
I would love to, especially since the day has been far busier than I thought it would be, and likely won't be able to post a game tonight. I'll try to get something this weekend!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.