New staging server - Need your help to test!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 17, 2021 7:45 pm
Hey folks! I've build a new staging server, which is a foothold on the path to a new production server. I'd appreciate anyone who checks out this post to visit staging.gamersplane.com. Your current accounts should be there (unless you signed up in the last few days), but I'd also appreciate people trying to create a new account (it may give you a link to go to gamersplane.com to activate, just add "staging." in front if it does).

I just want to make sure this new server works, and that the process used to bring it up works. If all that is good, I can work on getting a new production server up! If you find any issues or have any questions, ask away here. Please note, it does not necessarily have the latest features on it yet. Once I know the server is working properly, Adam and I will be putting up new code there to test before it's released live.
Nov 17, 2021 9:46 pm
Looks good, but some PhP libraries are missing for saving avatars.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function imagecreatefrompng() in /var/www/api/users.class.php on line 318
( ! ) Error: Call to undefined function imagecreatefrompng() in /var/www/api/users.class.php on line 318
Call Stack
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.0002 430944 {main}( ) .../dispatch.php:0
2 0.0130 1218968 users->__construct( ) .../dispatch.php:87
3 0.0130 1284528 users->saveUser( ) .../users.class.php:19
Mar 28, 2022 11:48 pm
Alright folks, I got the email working on the server! I've updated the database to last night. I'd really love for people to try out the staging site and make sure everything works. Once we're sure it's working, we can get a new production server working. A new production server means more security, lower growth costs, and maybe faster. So please, help out!
Mar 29, 2022 12:06 am
Is that using the latest code? There seem to be some things missing that were added recently(ish).

The Characters Menu on the Bottom Bar for instance.
My Games is empty, though I do still have access to my games. I can post and receive notification emails.

The Games Details page is missing information, I can not take a screecshot at this time.
It says my games are closed when they are open and private when they are public.

'Game Title' and 'System' are blank, 'Post Frequency' and 'Number of Player' are blank followed by 'per week' and '/'.

None of the players are included in the lists.
Mar 29, 2022 12:49 am
The Administrative Control Panel seems to be broken, it is missing the tabs for Subforums, Groups, and Permissions.

My Characters is also empty. Though I can create new characters and they show up correctly (though I can not submit them to any games, since the games list is empty:).

We do have some very new code features, like the Character Sheet Preview, so it is not an 'old code' issue... unfortunately.

I assume I can not log out because I never logged in? It is taking my login details from gamersplane.com?
Mar 29, 2022 1:25 am
vagueGM says:
Is that using the latest code? There seem to be some things missing that were added recently(ish).
Yup, latest code.
vagueGM says:

My Games is empty, though I do still have access to my games. I can post and receive notification emails.

The Games Details page is missing information, I can not take a screecshot at this time.
It says my games are closed when they are open and private when they are public.

'Game Title' and 'System' are blank, 'Post Frequency' and 'Number of Player' are blank followed by 'per week' and '/'.

None of the players are included in the lists.
I'll look at all that. Very strange, given I'm using a recent DB copy.
Mar 29, 2022 1:58 am
I had this when I didn't drop the mongo dB during the restore.
Mar 29, 2022 2:23 am
Made some posts in the OOC section of my games. Seems to be working fine...
Apr 20, 2022 11:32 am
Please can people take another look at staging?

https://staging.gamersplane.com/
Apr 20, 2022 12:01 pm
My Games seems to be mostly working now. The Open badge is red instead of green, but that might be a deliberate change?

My Characters seems to be working now.

Links is missing all the images, but that might be related to stuff that was already spoken about?

Administrative Control Panel is still broken. It only displays the Details tab and is still missing the tabs for Subforums, Groups, and Permissions.
Apr 20, 2022 12:01 pm
I can take a look at it but what am I supposed to do or check there?
Apr 20, 2022 12:10 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I can take a look at it but what am I supposed to do or check there?
The goal (I believe) is to retire the existing live infrastructure - it's Keleth planning to completely change the hardware upon which GP runs.

This isn't like a code change where we can rollback if it doesn't work. If this staging doesn't work, then the new live won't work.

So (if I understand the goal correctly) it's very important to get right.
Apr 20, 2022 12:12 pm
So, basically: Check everything! :)
Apr 20, 2022 12:12 pm
That's going to be fun, considering every page takes about five minutes to load 😅 But I'll try some stuff on there
Apr 20, 2022 12:15 pm
bowlofspinach says:
That's going to be fun, considering every page takes about five minutes to load 😅 But I'll try some stuff on there
The more you use it the quicker it loads, I'm down to 1 min 30 sec 🤣
Apr 20, 2022 12:23 pm
Loading speeds look about the same to me.

This is not necessarily the final server. Once we know that it works on the new arrangement we can easily move it to new hardware as needed. Ultimately it should be a bit faster.
Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm
Emails when new characters are added to a game are empty. Well, not quite 'empty', they contain the recipient's email address in the body, and the subject line says they are character adds.

Other emails look slightly different, but only in terms of wrapping and spacing.
Apr 20, 2022 12:39 pm
custom character sheets look weird.

Prod:
https://i.imgur.com/OD44WVP.png

staging
https://i.imgur.com/iWhBLFl.png
Last edited April 20, 2022 12:40 pm
Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Takes me about 7 seconds to load the main page on both servers. It's been consistently that way for a few months now and on my phone as well in various physical locations using various internet providers in two different states. I'm just opening each game in a new tab now (the new Edge browser is great for that when I'm on my laptop, I use vertical tabs) when I remember to do that, otherwise blowing through all my games takes a dog's age.

Clicking on any posts within that page however, load very quickly.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.