No love for 5e Strixhaven - A Curriculum of Chaos

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm
Everybody into 5e seemed to be talking about Witchlight before that came out and there are two public Witchlight campaigns, but I've not heard anybody planning to run Strixhaven.

Is anybody excited to see it?
Nov 20, 2021 7:21 pm
I was planning on asking if anyone was planning on running it too (much like i did before Candlekeep came out) when it got a little closer to the release date. I am very excited to see if anyone runs it on here, and have intentionally been resisting the strong urge to start/join another game recently, in anticipation for both a Strixhaven game and your potential IDRotF game.
Nov 20, 2021 7:28 pm
aquafina says:
... your potential IDRotF game.
If I remember correctly, I think you just narrowly missed out on my last IDRotF game. I best remember to keep you at the top of my list.

Len

Nov 20, 2021 8:16 pm
I have enjoyed all the MTG setting books that have come out so far, but partly that is because I played those settings in MTG and really enjoyed them. I have since put TCG hobbies aside and so have never seen the Strixhaven. Judging by the art it's going to be awesome. Lots of cool ideas here, and I'm excited to see it and strip it for parts. Maybe one day I'll even run the setting as intended.
Nov 20, 2021 8:23 pm
This one they posted on their Instagram account in hype for the release of the book is one of my favorites. A giant scroll Gatling gun
[ +- ] Art
Nov 20, 2021 8:25 pm
I love to play a magic school games. Should there be an opening for a Strixhaven I would jump at it in a heartbeat!

Being in the Strength of Thousands Pathfinder African magic school game, I see how Pathfinder 2e pulls off the training/learning part alongside of the level system. I have my doubts of how they will pull it off in D&D 5e successfully, but there must be some rule variations that makes it work. I'm very interested in those.

Len

Nov 20, 2021 9:39 pm
aquafina says:
A giant scroll Gatling gun
[ +- ] Art
Dope AF.
Nov 20, 2021 10:06 pm
Love MtG. Love D&D. But for some reason I don't get excited about playing D&D in an MtG setting. Don't know why.
Nov 20, 2021 10:29 pm
Adam says:
aquafina says:
... your potential IDRotF game.
If I remember correctly, I think you just narrowly missed out on my last IDRotF game. I best remember to keep you at the top of my list.
If this is the start of throwing our hats into the ring then maybe one of these will work!
https://i.imgur.com/A0Fz0II.png
Nov 20, 2021 11:24 pm
Please don't throw hats until they have been properly removed from their respective heads
Nov 21, 2021 7:14 am
And it's Icewind Dale. Do you think those are appropriate hats for The Frozen North?

KCC

Dec 5, 2021 10:57 am
It’s almost time for this book to drop. Any chatter about it?
Dec 5, 2021 3:14 pm
I’m keeping my eyes out too 👀👀.

DnDBeyond also released a free one-shot that is set in Strixhaven a couple days ago.(But I just can’t stop reading the Firejolt Cafe as Frijole Cafe and it’s really buggin me out lol). It’s silly, and has a very similar vibe to the "play as a familiar" one they released a while ago.
Dec 5, 2021 3:26 pm
I'm seeing a few reviews about it here and there. They mostly conform to what I expected from the book: Good, if that's what you want. It's a magical college and it sets up a framework for adventure within that. Apparently it comes with a small adventure within the college, but it's still 'magic school misadventures' stuff, like schoolwork, relationships, faculty, and the rest.
[ +- ] strangeassembly.com Final Thoughts
[ +- ] RPGnews.com
Last edited December 5, 2021 3:27 pm
Dec 8, 2021 10:17 am
link: to reddit
[ +- ] reddit
I think the conclusion is that if some would run a magic school game in D&D then Strixhaven is the place to go for inspiration and support, but not for a finished plug-n-play campaign
Dec 8, 2021 1:08 pm
Yeah, It also doesn't seem to have enough to run your own adventure in Strixhaven's walls, thought the adventure path is a big part of the book and I haven't looked at that yet.
Dec 8, 2021 3:17 pm
Is there anyone planning to run through the ‘basic’ Stixhaven adventure path? It definitely looks like there are people interested in playing it.
Dec 9, 2021 8:03 am
Different question then... while I do not think I could dedicate myself to GMing a full Strixhaven run-through in PbP (at least, not at this exact moment), would those curious about the concept/setting like to play a more laid-back episodic kind of adventure in Strixhaven, following a study group that gets into whacky magic shenanigans?

For full transparency here, my imagining of this is like the Dan Harmon sitcom "Community", but with monsters and magic and things.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.