Our friend Machiabelly has passed away

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 23, 2021 3:07 am
It's with great sorrow that I share the news that Machiabelly passed away suddenly last night. His wife found his Discord and messaged me this evening and asked me to share the news with his fellow players and the community.

His name was Garfield MacLean and he was 56. His wife, Lori, shared how much he enjoyed writing, and he spoke of his PbP games and the site often. He will be greatly missed.

In the coming days I'll be starting a memorial fund that will go to Mrs. Machiabelly to help with expenses and various difficulties. Everyone is free to donate if they wish, but it is entirely voluntary. If anyone has a good idea of a good way to arrange that, feel free to post or message me, I'll be researching it as well (accepting international donations to be received in Canada). I'll share that in a separate post once it's ready.
Nov 23, 2021 3:11 am
I'm so sorry to hear that... I don't think he & I interacted much but it's sad to hear he's passed. He'll be missed around these parts.
Nov 23, 2021 3:12 am
I am so, so sorry to hear of this. Thank you for sharing the information, skeptical_stun.
Nov 23, 2021 3:13 am
OMG! This is very distressing news! Thank you for letting us know! Great sorrow.
Nov 23, 2021 3:16 am
I am just devastated to hear this. Mach was one of the most kind-hearted, generous and genuinely wonderful people I've had the honor to have met.
Nov 23, 2021 3:17 am
This is just awful. He will be missed.
Nov 23, 2021 3:20 am
https://i.imgur.com/NizixoK.jpg

He was a good friend and one of my very favorite gamers. There will always be a place for you at my table, my friend.
Nov 23, 2021 3:24 am
I'm so sorry to hear this. I had nothing but great interactions with him and he will be sorely missed at the PbP table.
Nov 23, 2021 3:42 am
I've played in hundreds of D&D games, with all kinds of people. But I never dreamed I would have a character that co-owned a chain of kobold staffed fast-food restaurants across the ten-towns of Icewind Dale.

Machiabelly, my friend Garfield, was the kind of guy that made them seem so..... natural.

Our restaurants are closed now, out of respect for a good man. But they will reopen, and be an important part of my Sword Coast world forever.
Nov 23, 2021 3:48 am
Mach was a really lovely guy. I played in many games with him over the years. He was fun, dependable, kind and great to chat with out of game. He will be greatly missed.
Nov 23, 2021 4:43 am
So sorry to hear the bad news. He will be missed.

Len

Nov 23, 2021 4:46 am
I never got the chance to play a game with Machiabelly but he was always a delight to interact with on the forums. He made this community a better place with his sense of humour, creativity, and kindness. You will be greatly missed!
Nov 23, 2021 4:57 am
A moment of silence for our dear community member.

You will be missed.
Nov 23, 2021 5:06 am
It's strange to see his face,. I knew his heart, mind and creativity.
We played together on several games. There is an empty spot at our table, where our friend used to be.
Nov 23, 2021 5:19 am
I'm very sorry to hear this. I've played a lot of games with Mach and he was a really great guy.
Nov 23, 2021 6:01 am
This is quite a shock to hear, especially since he posted in a mutual game only a few days ago. He was a nice guy, and I regret not getting to know him better than I did. May he rest peacefully.
Nov 23, 2021 6:39 am
Machiabelly played with me in my first GP game, but I really got to spend time with him in Icewind Dale.

He was a lovely person, who you were always pleased to see. He had a gentle kindness and a quiet enthusiasm to him, and it was easy to enjoy spending time with him. I'm heartbroken to hear of his passing.

I'm going to miss you, Machi. You were more of a friend to me than you knew - and that's the true true.
Last edited November 24, 2021 1:16 pm
Nov 23, 2021 7:23 am
That is very sad news... May he rest in peace, and may his family find comfort in the many good memories he surely left them.
Nov 23, 2021 7:46 am
Sad news. Condolences to his wife, friends and family. Don't know of a single community member here who spoke ill of him -- he'll be dearly missed. Game on, brother.
Nov 23, 2021 11:07 am
I'm really shocked. I've had but a few interactions with him in my little time in GP. Rest in peace friend, until we game again.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.