Release Nov 29th 2021

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 29, 2021 10:07 pm
New features
[ +- ] Looking for a game
[ +- ] The Gamers page
[ +- ] Last activity

Fixes and tweaks

Better description for custom games on the systems page
Spelling mistake: gamess
Reduced roll dropping
Last edited November 30, 2021 6:38 am
Nov 29, 2021 10:10 pm
Very helpful changes as always. Thanks Adam and Keleth and everyone else that had a hand in it.
Nov 30, 2021 3:06 am
Any chance we could get a minimize button for the LFG on the front page? It takes up a fair amount of real estate on desktop (particularly with some of the longer descriptions) and isn't particularly useful if you're not thinking about starting a game.

Also, uh, nice job plastering a bunch of people across the front page with a link to PM them without any advance warning.
Nov 30, 2021 3:19 am
Woohoo! All stuff from my wishlist.
Nov 30, 2021 4:14 am
Kaigen says:
Any chance we could get a minimize button for the LFG on the front page? It takes up a fair amount of real estate on desktop (particularly with some of the longer descriptions) and isn't particularly useful if you're not thinking about starting a game.
It doesn't take more than the announcement block, however, the announcement block is collapsible. Which is redundant now. Both of the blocks need to be collapsible or both of them should have set dimensions (proportions?).
OOC:
Edit: It can get larger than the announcement block. Though, I don't find it distracting, empty space would be worse.
Kaigen says:
Also, uh, nice job plastering a bunch of people across the front page with a link to PM them without any advance warning.
I am pretty sure there is a toggle and my guess is that it is off by default. You won't see me on there as I am not looking for games, however, if I were I would need to toggle it on in my account settings. Also, I think I saw it being mentioned in the pre-release notes, at least I've seen it before somewhere.
Last edited November 30, 2021 4:20 am
Nov 30, 2021 5:10 am
Kaigen says:

Yes. MagnificentFly is right. It’s "opt in" from settings.
Nov 30, 2021 12:37 pm
I would hope it would be off by default, but it appeared that when the feature went live, people were already getting displayed, so did it draw on some previous setting that didn't used to mean "get displayed on the front page" or was there some other criteria?
Nov 30, 2021 12:41 pm
@Kaigan I happened to be on the site when the release notes were posted. I immediately went to my user settings and turned it on. I’m assuming the others who are displayed did the same
Last edited November 30, 2021 12:41 pm
Nov 30, 2021 1:32 pm
It was off by default for me
Nov 30, 2021 1:41 pm
@aquafina The feature was live for roughly two hours before the release notes were posted, and there were people displayed in that time.
Nov 30, 2021 1:47 pm
by the number of people LFG I believe each of them chose this setting.
https://i.imgur.com/zL3irQv.png
Nov 30, 2021 1:49 pm
When it first went live, nobody was displayed. I added myself to the list just so it showed something.

There was briefly a problem where you couldn't opt-out again.
Nov 30, 2021 1:58 pm
When the feature went live, there was a brief moment where it could not be turned off. That bug was fixed very quickly. During that brief time, people may have shown up without having turned the feature on, I can't say for sure.
But honestly, I do not think that is a problem. No private information is being displayed there, only an optional text field that was always accessible to anyone, alongside avatar and username. Sure, there was a PM button but anyone is always able to PM anyone on the site. I get random PMs from users I have never interacted with before occasionally. I honestly doubt anyone got showered with (easily ignorable) PMs in response to randomly showing up on the front page until the next refresh.

The feature is off by default. It may not have been for a brief moment, I don't know, but even if, that is not a problem as no harm could have been done by this.
Some people are putting in a ton of work to knit this community closer together through features like this and the public games now finally actually being public again.
Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm
And during the time when you couldn't opt-out, at least one person found themself displayed on the front page (likely because they turned it on not knowing what it would do) and then couldn't take themself down, which we know because they brought it up on the Discord.

And it doesn't surprise me to see mods pretending nothing bad ever happens on this site, but we have had problems with people getting harassed through PMs in the past, and "easily ignorable" is pretty relative when the site doesn't give you any ability to stop someone from PMing you.

The point I'm trying to make (which I thought I made when the public games feed first came up on the Discord) is that the developers should exercise some caution and provide advance notice before making a change to the site that affects user visibility. Some of us have had bad experiences with other users on this site and don't want to have ourselves be paraded in front of them, or vice versa.
Nov 30, 2021 2:21 pm
Kaigen says:
the developers should exercise some caution
Lol! "The developers". It's okay, you can say "Adam". I don't mind.

Yes. This release was somewhat rushed because we wanted to close a security hole. We're looking at ways of isolating features in future.
Nov 30, 2021 2:23 pm
Kaigen says:
And during the time when you couldn't opt-out, at least one person found themself displayed on the front page (likely because they turned it on not knowing what it would do) and then couldn't take themself down, which we know because they brought it up on the Discord.

And it doesn't surprise me to see mods pretending nothing bad ever happens on this site, but we have had problems with people getting harassed through PMs in the past, and "easily ignorable" is pretty relative when the site doesn't give you any ability to stop someone from PMing you.

The point I'm trying to make (which I thought I made when the public games feed first came up on the Discord) is that the developers should exercise some caution and provide advance notice before making a change to the site that affects user visibility. Some of us have had bad experiences with other users on this site and don't want to have ourselves be paraded in front of them, or vice versa.
Saying the mods pretend nothing bad ever happens is both uncharitable and false. Maybe we could use a blacklist or block feature for people who are getting harassed or can't behave like adults, but making a big deal out of a single example that was the result either of a bug or the user's own mistake is not helping anyone.
Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm
An optional feature has been launched. There has been a brief but that was immediately fixed upon being noticed. Is it ideal? No, it's not. But it is an unavoidable part of development.

Users are not kept in the dark about upcoming changes. There is a whole process for discussing and approving features that all users can follow. Just the other day, a notice was posted on site and discord asking people to get more involved because most do not care to involve themselves in it.
Nov 30, 2021 2:33 pm
A reminder that where people can find the public forum where changes are discussed.
Nov 30, 2021 2:42 pm
Adam says:
Lol! "The developers". It's okay, you can say "Adam". I don't mind.
My bad, I assumed Keleth was still a developer on this site.
Adam says:
A reminder that where people can find the public forum where changes are discussed.
Yes, and all you have to do is root through the public games to find it, and all you can do is read. Very intuitive.
nezzeraj says:
Saying the mods pretend nothing bad ever happens is both uncharitable and false. Maybe we could use a blacklist or block feature for people who are getting harassed or can't behave like adults, but making a big deal out of a single example that was the result either of a bug or the user's own mistake is not helping anyone.
Look, clearly I've already pulled this thread off topic, and no one wants to hear this, but there's a pattern of behavior with the moderators on this site. Whenever criticism is raised, they get defensive, they minimize the incident, they excuse and insist they are doing the absolute best they can at all times and so it is unfair to expect anything different, and nothing changes. That's assuming they acknowledge the criticism at all. But this isn't the place to have that conversation, so I'll shut up.
Nov 30, 2021 2:42 pm
The "Looking for a game" panel always displays a "New member" badge, even with older accounts. Probably not intentionally so I just wanted to note it.

@Kaigen, if you didn't add the feature in your profile, you weren't displayed. It's pretty easy to avoid, and one would hope that someone who's worried about their user visibility considers this before signing up to a list that is quite literally in place to make users easier to find.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.