[Closed] Damn the Man, Save the Music

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

bowlofspinach

bowlofspinach

Nov 30, 2021 6:13 am
bowlofspinach
[ +- ]
Play a crew of '90s indie record store employees trying to save your store from impending doom. Can you appease a has-been rockstar, sell enough CDs, and find true love? You've got from 10am to midnight to try. It's very likely that everything will go wrong, but at Revolution Records, that's business as usual.

Damn the Man, Save the Music is a game about making a last-ditch effort to save something you love. Play a ragtag group of underachievers, overachievers, street philosophers, and lovestruck artists united by one cause: to rescue your local record store from the oppressive hand of The Manโ€ฆ and to keep the music playing.

Hey everyone,
I'm back with a new game pitch. I'm aiming this directly at the people interested in a weekend game and, similar to Dr_B's weekend game, I would like to aim for a frequency of 1/day, with 2/day on the weekends. If it ends up being faster, great. If it ends up slightly slower, okay. But please only apply if you think you can keep up with this pace.

Damn the Man is a fairly heavily structured game. It has a three act structure and in each act, each player gets a highlighted scene. That might not translate perfectly to PBP but I think I have an idea for how to make it work. However, due to this structure, it's especially important that players are active (or at least let the others know of upcoming absences) so that the game isn't held up if a spotlighted player disappears unexpectedly for a few days.

The rules are pretty simple and I can take care of most of the mechanical considerations. You do not need access to the rulebook as I will provide everything that's needed in the forum.
However, I do expect a certain amount of work from the players, bringing in plot hooks and driving the story as well.
๐ŸŽถ Content Warnings: I'm sure there'll be cursing, alcohol and drugs in this game. Some violence might be part of it but nothing too intense. Maybe a punch in the face. Maybe someone might get bitten. There could be sexual content but if so, it will be fade to black.
A lot of this depends on the group as well. We will discuss lines and veils in the game forum and safety tools like the X card will be employed.

๐ŸŽถ Character Creation: Character creation is very simple. You pick a type, make a few choices and select character relationships. We will be doing that cooperatively in the game, but you can already come in with a general idea.

๐ŸŽถ Game Duration/Post Frequency: I think this game will be on the shorter side. It depends a lot on the actual post frequency but at around 1/day, I think we might manage it in around three months.

๐ŸŽถ Specialized Software: We could use Discord for this to speed up some OOC discussions but that is not necessary. Otherwise, the game will be entirely on GP.

๐ŸŽถ Player Experience: No experience with the game is required or expected.

๐ŸŽถ How to Apply: Please don't just apply to the game. My preferred method is for people to post their interest in this thread. If you don't want to do that, you can also PM me your interest.
I will not go by First Come First Serve. If there is enough interest, I will pick three players from the applicants. Preference will be given to people on the Weekenders list but that doesn't mean that someone who isn't on that list has no chance of getting in. Feel free to still apply if you're interested.

๐ŸŽถ Open for Everyone: This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT, POC and any other minorities or marginalized groups. The rulebook itself puts special emphasis on making all players feel welcome and comfortable and I will do my best to do the same.
Thanks for reading through this whole wall of text. If you're interested, let me know. I'd love to give this system a shot with a dedicated group of players.
Nov 30, 2021 8:01 am
Haha is this Empire Records the game?
Last edited November 30, 2021 8:01 am
Nov 30, 2021 8:29 am
I haven't seen it but it is cited as a big inspiration for the game
Nov 30, 2021 8:52 am
I'm not sure how well it's aged but I loved it as a teenager.
Nov 30, 2021 11:58 am
Its a great idea for a game. Brings back some angsty teen memoroes for a generation x'er
Dec 2, 2021 8:05 am
Okay, there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest for this game so I'll shelve it for now. I will get back to it at a later date as I definitely want to run this eventually. But I have other ideas as well. I'll see if there's more interest for one of those for now

You do not have permission to post in this thread.