Chapter 1: Arriving at the Three Feathers

Dec 2, 2021 9:58 am
It’s been a long day’s travel. The sun is just beginning to go down as you come upon an inn. As you draw closer, you notice that the place is unusually busy. There is a large coach pulled up outside, and lackeys are busying themselves with various trunks and chests as liveried men-at-arms look on.

https://i.imgur.com/1SUweV8.png

Inside, servants are hurrying to and fro, and the innkeeper is engrossed in conversation with a scribe who carries a visibly bulging purse. It is a full ten minutes before you can attract his attention.

https://i.imgur.com/KhPmmJO.jpg

"Welcome," he says at last, "I’m sorry to have kept you waiting. We have a distinguished guest tonight — the Gravin Maria-Ulrike von Liebwitz of Ambosstein, no less! I hardly know whether I’m coming or going. Now, then — you want a room? What am I saying, of course you do! Ah — excuse me again, I’ll only be a moment."

You wait for another few minutes as he directs a train of servants to the Gravin’s rooms. "So sorry," he says as he returns to you. "It really is mad this evening."
OOC:
Feel free to introduce your character and how you arrive at the Inn this evening. The inn is along the river between Grissenwald and Kemperbad. It's just before 9 in the evening. Once everyone has introduced themselves I'll add another post.
Dec 2, 2021 4:26 pm
Kristof was just trying to get home. The army, after its last skirmish, had left most of the soldiers to their own devices to depart, as it is wont to do. With the paltry sum he had been paid, he began trading favors and small jobs for coach-rides, spending much of his time riding with the luggage rather than inside in the warmth. The Three Feathers was just another stop along his journey, but a much needed one.

The doors to the Three Feathers open violently, causing those nearest to it to jump a little... only to spot a particularly small man with a particularly large scowl enter. He takes a step or two, then turns back and grumbles as he shuts the door. The attitude, not uncommon amongst travelers, was likely due to a long journey rather than any actual personal hardship. He weaves his way through the crowd (itself quite uncommon), clumsily bumping into countless people in his quest to reach the bar.

If the bartender were to look at him, he would see a man in travel-worn clothes over a leather breastplate (uncomfortably worn due to banditry), with some pieces of a uniform poking around. His short, light brown hair and pale grey eyes are notable against the young man's sun-tanned and currently-dirty skin. Hanging from his belt, away from his hand, a morningstar (that looks almost too large for him) rests in its well-used state. But the inn is busy, and the bartender doesn't look at him. Kristof is not happy about this.
Dec 2, 2021 7:40 pm
Dieter hadn't really travelled far, just a few miles from Diesdorf. But he'd left in a bit of a hurry and was still out of breath. A little misunderstanding with those gloomy Sigmarites. The Three Feathers was just one of the stops on his usual sojourn around this little corner of the Reikland, a few weeks travelling between Grünburg and Kemperbad should be enough time for things to settle down. He'd been here plenty of times before, when it had got a bit too hot in Diesdorf, and he intended to have a good time.

Taking a moment to compose himself and settle his ragged breathing, he swings the doors open ostentatiously, looking around the room to see the reaction to this attractive young man with the impetuous confidence of youth. He doesn't say anything at first but it is clear he wants to make some kind of impression in his elaborate but frayed clothes, swishing his long and luxuriant black hair, fixing the patrons with piercing blue eyes.

'No need to stand, no need to fear, Dieter the Raconteur is here.'

He good-naturedly shoves his way through the crowd, keeping one hand on his purse. Greeting friends and strangers the same, engaging in a little banter here and there. Anyone paying him more than cursory attention can see that this is a practised patter.

'My good man, it is our mutual good fortune that I find myself once again partaking in the hospitality of your fine hostelry. A room is my ultimate goal but my proximate endeavours encompass a flagon of your finest ale.'

Hearing about the Gravin his interest is immediately piqued. Someone of her status could certainly prove a worthy patron for an ambitious young man such as himself. In the short-term he intends to tell a few stories and encourage the customers to buy him some refreshments.
Dec 3, 2021 1:49 am
It had been a few weeks since Artur Black had left the familiarity of his monastery for the hardships of the road. He had received recently the gift of the Blessing of Morr along with visions of travels and he had been traveling ever since dutifully. After this long spend sleeping in barns and on the side of the roads, he was hoping for a clean bed and facilities to wash his clothes and himself properly.

As he entered the inn calmly, a noticeable hush came upon the room. Six foot three inches of traditional unadorned hooded black robe of the priesthood of Morr was hard to miss and most people think twice before attracting the attention of the God of the Dead. A simple glance was enough to realize than it was not a Dooming Augur entering the room, only a quiet well armed traveler carrying his faith and a spade. So, the loud voices filled back the land of the living as if nothing happened.

The Warrior Priest unhurriedly put his battle axe, his shield, his spade and the rest of his gear against the wall and sat at the nearest table. From there, he waited patiently for the innkeeper.
Quote:
You wait for another few minutes as he directs a train of servants to the Gravin’s rooms. "So sorry," he says as he returns to you. "It really is mad this evening."
"Everything happens in due time." the hooded man answered with the calm tone of a much recited prayer. "A simple room, with water for cleaning and a warm meal would be greatly appreciated."
Dec 3, 2021 9:21 am
https://i.imgur.com/O1yoEfo.jpg

The landlord nods at Artur seemingly uncomfortable with the presence of a holy man. "Will be right along," he says.

He smiles at Dieter as he pass. "Good to see you again. Hope you are in good fortune." he notes your order before heading behind the bar.

His words are almost drowned by the cheer coming from the table next to yours. A bare chested man has just beaten what's probably one of the gravin's guards in an arm wrestling competition.

At the other end of the table, the gravin herself can be seen but for a moment. She eyes her cheering guards with disdain before shaking the hand of a halfling and excusing hereself from the table. Two guards follows her upstairs.

https://i.imgur.com/mPVMBFL.jpg

With the gravin gone the bare chested man turns his attention to the newly arrived. "Come sit! You look like a good challenge!" he calls out to Artur holding up a fist, hopefully to signify a challenge to arm wrestle.
OOC:
The gravin party sits at table B. The closest empty table is table A on the map above.

A single room costs 10/– per night, a double room costs 15/–, and a place in the dormitory costs 1/–. All prices include supper and breakfast.
Dec 3, 2021 3:47 pm
It takes some time, but Kristof finally manages to catch the attention of the bartender. He slams a silver shilling onto the counter, and speaks out. "Floorspace and some food." A second shilling strikes the surface. "And keep the ale flowing. It's been a looong few days." He waits for both food and drink, but turns with a start as a half-naked man cries out to the hooded figure near to him. It would seem a whole assortment of characters were staying at the Three Feathers tonight.

Kristof eyes the challenger up and down, then does so for the hooded man. It was hard to tell how the man looked underneath the heavy, concealing clothes. That was sort of the point. But the man was tall, and with height oft came strength. Kristof noted this, his own height insecurities screaming within him to take this traveler down a peg. But he silenced the voices.
OOC:
I'm not claiming he is insane and hears voices, I'm just playing up his insecurities. Don't worry, I ain't trying to pick a fight.
Dec 3, 2021 4:41 pm
In good fortune?, looking in his purse, Dieter counts six brass pennies. Not even enough for a dormitory room. He's going to have to sing for his supper tonight.

Carefully avoiding the priest, he sidles over to the crowd of guards watching the arm wrestling. With much back slapping and hail fellow well met he swaps jokes and banter with them, casually dropping questions about what the Gravin is doing here and where she's going.

When he's got enough information and has ingratiated himself his patter starts to change and he begins a long, amusing, and rather blue yarn about a halfling marrying a pig. After he's drawn his audience in, whenever he gets to a cliffhanger or the punchline of a joke he pantomimes an elaborate ritual of needing to be encouraged to continue, eventually passing his hood to collect some pennies.
OOC:
Can Dieter use his Lore (Reikland) to know anything about the Gravin? He'd also like to try and pick up some Gossip and maybe try and earn some money (enough for somewhere to sleep) by doing some storytelling (Entertain (Storytelling)).
Dec 3, 2021 4:54 pm
OOC:
@cowleyc haha, all good. The whole thing is turning comical quite fast :p
The tall hooded figure looks left, right and behind him before Artur realised that he was the one called out.

A small chuckle resonated from under the hood, sounding a bit odd coming from the somber figure.
"I doubt I have the shillings or the strength of arm to really make this interesting, but I am happy to play along if you'll have me."

The priest deposit his gear again and sit in front of the man. He slowly take position for the arm wrestling. He had little experience with the sport, but he knew enough of anatomy to make sure he could apply some strength and not risk hurting himself.
OOC:
as clarification, Artur can only afford the dormitory.
Last edited December 3, 2021 4:56 pm
Dec 5, 2021 8:21 am
The big man introduces himself. "My name's Bruno friend," he says with a grin his voice has a heavy Aldorf Accent. "Who is this brave man who dares face the Bear."

He throws a silver shilling on the table. "Can you match that?"
OOC:
Dieter, you can make a Challenging (+0) Lore (Reikland) test and a Challenging (+0) Gossip test. Though if you spend 5d (brass pennies) on drinks you can get a +20 to the gossip test. You are certainly welcome to a Entertain (Storytelling) test as well.
Dec 5, 2021 1:26 pm
Dieter racks his brain, who is the Gravin, what does he know about her?

He pumps the guards for more information before trying to earn some coin.
OOC:
I don't think Dieter can afford to blow his whole purse on drinks!
OOC:
Oh FFS, even with his gregarious talent he fails. At least they seem to like his storytelling!
Last edited December 5, 2021 1:27 pm

Rolls

Lore (Reikland) 28 - (1d100)

(87) = 87

Gossip 52 - (1d100)

(95) = 95

Entertain (Storytelling) 52 - (1d100)

(40) = 40

Dec 5, 2021 3:12 pm
"I am Artur Black. Alas, I do not have a shilling to my name. What I can offer is Morr's eternal protection to your loved ones, will that suffice?"
Dec 6, 2021 10:11 am
Dieter starts telling an highly amusing anecdote about a carpenter that tries to fake his own murder to get out of paying taxes.

TheVagrant says:
"I am Artur Black. Alas, I do not have a shilling to my name. What I can offer is Morr's eternal protection to your loved ones, will that suffice?"
Bruno grumbles for a moment before looking you over another time. "Don't let it be said the Bear shyes away from any challengers," he finally laughs and rests his elbow on the table, his arm open towards Artur.
OOC:
Make an Extended Opposed Challenging (+0) Strength Test, adding your Strength Bonus to your SL each Round before determining the winner. The winner of each Round gains +1 Advantage to be used in the bout using the normal rules. The first Character to reach 10+ SL is the winner. For every Toughness Bonus Rounds that pass without a winner, you gain +1 Fatigue Condition (which you will regain after just 5 minutes rest after the bout).
https://i.imgur.com/zswvPvy.png

Meanwile, Kristoff you notice three more people arriving, heading immediately for the fireplace to hang their heavy cloaks and hats. They seem annoyed at having problem catching the innkeeper's attention. They stand muttering amongst themselves, sometimes looking over their shoulders at the room. By their clothing, they look like scholars.

Rolls

Perception Dieter - (1d100)

Perception Kristof - (1d100)

Perception Artur - (1d100)

Dec 6, 2021 4:59 pm
Quote:
"Don't let it be said the Bear shyes away from any challengers," he finally laughs and rests his elbow on the table, his arm open towards Artur.
Artur smile under his hood. He had not challenged anyone obviously, since he was the one being invited. Then, again, the theatrics must be part of the game.

He put his arm in position and readies himself for the game.
OOC:
str 29, TB 3

Rolls

Str check (TN 29) - (D100)

(47) = 47

Dec 7, 2021 3:17 am
Kristof takes a long swig from his ale, his eyes dancing back and forth between the arm-wrestling and the newcomers. Scholars without bodyguards were always of interest; you never know if they are in need of protection, or if they somehow don't. Kristof stands and begins making his way to the three. He stands as tall as he can, rests his non-steined hand on his morningstar, and tries to get their attention. "Oi, you three. You look like you could use some assistance. Getting some food, for one, but also some protection. It's a dangerous road out there, and you lot look like you could use Kristof Schmidt. That's me, by the way. Kristof, looking for work."
Dec 7, 2021 9:08 am
The elder student looks perturbed at the attention. "I must thank you for your offer, but by Verena's blessing we will be safe. I assure you."

Meanwhile at the arm wrestling competition both men seems to struggle to get the upper hand.
OOC:
Bruno has a Strength of 69 and a Toughness bonus of 4

Artur has +0 SL
Bruno has +3 SL and Advantage

Rolled for 4 rounds for Bruno, so we can add Advantage retroactively.

Rolls

Bruno Strength - (1d100)

(98) = 98

Bruno Strength round 2 - (1d100)

(34) = 34

Bruno Strength round 3 - (1d100)

(84) = 84

Bruno Strength round 4 - (1d100)

(57) = 57

Dec 7, 2021 10:31 am
OOC:
Additional rolls

Rolls

Str 29 - (D100)

(100) = 100

Str 29 - (D100)

(2) = 2

Str 29 - (D100)

(72) = 72

Dec 7, 2021 2:03 pm
It does not take long for Bruno to wrestle a victory out of Artur. "Good try! But once again the Bear is undefeated!" he laughs.

"So you ready to bless my loved ones?" he asks bunching his hands into fists and laying them on the table, from the look he gives you he seems to want you to bless his fists.

Dieter is just about to finish his story to rambunctious laughter from the gravin's soldiers when the door once again opens and the strangest sight of the evening (though it is still young) appears when an beautfully dressed elf enters.

Artur can just overhear the innkeeper, who has finally found the time to service the students, mutter under his breath. "Pox on me! Another high maintenance customer."
OOC:
Caerylia feel free to introduce yourself.
Dec 7, 2021 3:20 pm
There is a hush when Caerylia of Saphery enters the Three Feathers.

In strides a high elf woman carrying herself with a grace and an air of command that would make any who behold her stumble-footed. Her eyes, the blue of the summer morning sky, hint thought and compassion, as of one who has known many things that the years bring, so ancient and knowing for one whose face is young.

Her golden-silvery hair is a marvel unmatched, cascading from the crown of her head down to the back of her knees. The radiance of the sun and stars alike are ensnared in her tresses, faintly shimmering about her tall, sylphlike form. And oh, she is tall! Towering, even—four inches over six feet, an arresting height for any woman outside Ulthuan, but her presence is such that her height seems the proper one, and the others would feel ungainly in their shortness.

Even her gown is a marvel—silk and immaculately white, as if she had not been traveling the roads and is attending a summer gala rather than finding shelter in a humble inn. A delicate silver embroidery of leaves, vines, and flowers adorn the edges of her gown, ten-times fancier than any feastday clothes you would find in Reikland indeed. In her hand, she holds an ornate staff carved from ivory. All in all, this otherworldly woman simply did not belong.

https://i.imgur.com/XcO0MMM.png

The queenly figure glides towards the innkeep, her face serene and composed. "I shall like to have a place in your dormitory for the night," she says, her voice a song. "One bed and fresh linen, that is all I need."

Perhaps it's an irony that such a richly dressed woman would ask for the humblest of lodgings. It’s almost akin to cleaning a latrine with silk. Her peaceful eyes survey the room for any that would interest her—any other Asur or Asrai if there are any, the three scholars, until her gaze finally fastens upon Kristof.
Last edited December 7, 2021 3:54 pm
Dec 7, 2021 5:21 pm
Quote:
It does not take long for Bruno to wrestle a victory out of Artur. "Good try! But once again the Bear is undefeated!" he laughs.
Artur took his loss gracefully. He had expected as much, though he was genuinely impressed by the strength of Bruno the Bear.
"Well done, your strength is impressive my friend."
Quote:
"So you ready to bless my loved ones?" he asks bunching his hands into fists and laying them on the table, from the look he gives you he seems to want you to bless his fists.
It takes a second for the man's unexpected meaning register. Then, the black robed priest let out an hearty laugh. When the black hood stopped shaking. Artur put his hand over the fists. His prayers were usually dedicated to the dead, but he doubted his God would mind about anything said to the living.

"May those fist be your protection in life as Morr will protect you in Death. May they give you the strength to follow your dreams. In Darkness as in Daylight, until the day you are saved."
load next

Thread locked