Ask Me Anything: runekyndig

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 3, 2021 8:56 pm
And what if I told you I'm one of these nerds who also think data science is cool? LOL
Dec 3, 2021 9:25 pm
I bounce around with QI sometimes as well, it's always an enjoyable watch :)

A few more questions, some RPG related:

What is your favorite character that YOU'VE created (either as DM or player)

What is the favorite character that you've run into on Gamersplane?

What have you been reading lately and what is a book or two that you would recommend to others?
Last edited December 3, 2021 9:27 pm
Dec 3, 2021 11:17 pm
Favourite one-liner from a PbP or IRL game?

Best character death (again PbP or IRL)?

A long shot, but you don’t know anyone at the Orlik tobacco company? The won’t sell to the uk any more and I miss their Golden Sliced. No? Oh well, worth a shot.
Dec 4, 2021 8:24 am
skeptical_stun says:
What is your favorite character that YOU'VE created (either as DM or player)
I looked through my GP characters and have narrowed it down to Wiki. The image is telling me such a strong story about a woman with scars covered by tattoos. In the world of darkness, she awakened as a Mage.
[ +- ] Wiki
skeptical_stun says:
What is the favorite character that you've run into on Gamersplane?
I really enjoy the reluctant relationship one of my characters is building with Droog. A simple dwarf, with simple needs. He is drunkenly stupid and charming. That is the first character that comes to mind.
skeptical_stun says:
What have you been reading lately and what is a book or two that you would recommend to others?
I'm going to take the easy option and link to my goodreads bookshelf
Adam says:
Favourite one-liner from a PbP or IRL game?
PBPAssholes must die! The motto of the phenix forged, our ice maiden group
IRLYou guys are a bunch of bastards! We played at friend's house, we wrote this statement on a piece of paper and stuck it on the wall. My friend's wife found it the next day and had a delicious WTF moment. When we play there, we still point to that spot on the wall, even if the paper was taken down years ago.
Adam says:
Best character death (again PbP or IRL)?
PBP: In a space-rase-eberron-game my character obtained god-like power for a moment at the conclusion of the game. We each wrote an epilog for our character, the group was reunited back on Eberron ground, to my character's funeral. She had committed suicide as she would never be able to use magic again.
IRL: In a live action rollplay, my character was drowned in a bog/lake by a fellow player. We found the perfect spot that was safe and could produce a powerful scene that others could witness. I had an arm around a tree stump that hid my head from view. Then I could trash around with arm and legs while the other player held me down. It was flipping epic!
Dec 4, 2021 1:39 pm
Really excited to see another Planescape fan on the boards! I'll take that as my cue to ask the following:

The creator of Troika! said he made his game because he loved Planescape for its weirdness when it came out, but as more and more supplements were published, it all became too established and formulaic. Even though you said you haven't played it yet, from merely reading it, do you share the sentiment?
Dec 4, 2021 11:32 pm
- Do you like boardgames (non-RPG-focused)? If yes, any favorites? :D
- Favorite "Vampire: The Masquerade" clan?
- Your avatar intrigues me. Why did you choose it?
- What's your preferred source of inspiration for RPGs? Do you ever get inspired by music to start a game or make a character?
- May I get a random scientific fact about ice sheets? Or something else related to your profession/field; which is really cool (sorry), by the way!
Last edited December 4, 2021 11:32 pm
Dec 5, 2021 5:10 am
Since you stated a preference for story-driven games, I'll follow some of the other people who've posted similar questions,

Where do you see the limits of story vs. probabilistic mechanics (i.e., rolling dice for conflict resolution)? For myself, dice matter for situations where success or failure will have consequences, but not for emotional content.

That being said, I visited Copenhagen years ago and the Danish capital itself would be a great setting for a game. The tension between the Christiania and the surrounding city could be great for pretty much any style of ttrpg.

What do you think?
Dec 5, 2021 8:36 am
DarK_RaideR says:
Really excited to see another Planescape fan on the boards! I'll take that as my cue to ask the following:

The creator of Troika! said he made his game because he loved Planescape for its weirdness when it came out, but as more and more supplements were published, it all became too established and formulaic. Even though you said you haven't played it yet, from merely reading it, do you share the sentiment?
I actually prefer that there is some structure to the unknown that we as a gaming group explores. If there is a formula to follow that we all know, both the player and the GM can tell a story. If up is down and pink tastes like bananas, then only the GM can tell the story. The players are just along for the ride

I thought of some settings where we explore the unknown but there is a formula to follow. Staring in the most formulaic to the least (in my opinion)
Star trek: Exploring the universe, but the rules of what to expect are very established. Most intelligent beings are human-like. There is even an episode that explains why this is. Everyone can communicate through a universal translator.
Star Wars: Exploring the universe. There are some intelligent alien beings that are different from humans. Langueas can be a barrior
Stargate: Exploring the universe. Lots of humans spread out over the universe. Different levels of technology. The langue barrier can be overcome.
Planescape: Exploring the multiverse. There is a cosmology that prepares you for what to expect when you go through a portal
The strange: Exploring the multiverse. When you shift world you are changed to match this new world

Nummenara and Troika seems to be borderline to random and unstructured that one can only tell their own personal story and the GM tells the grand story. Players are just along for the ride as they don't know the rules of the grand story to pitch in with.
OOC:
I would love to discuss this further, but in a seperate thread in the general forum
Dec 5, 2021 8:47 am
FlyingSucculent says:
- Do you like boardgames (non-RPG-focused)? If yes, any favorites? :D
Yes. Favorites... looks to my wall. Desert, Mage Wars, Keyforge, Pandemic are some of those with the most playtime. Mansion of madness deserves an honorable mention
FlyingSucculent says:
- Favorite "Vampire: The Masquerade" clan?
Tremere/Brujah/Gangrel most. Nosferatu/Malkavian least
FlyingSucculent says:
- Your avatar intrigues me. Why did you choose it?
Have it as a T-shirt. The hourglass indicated time. One can see stars in the black, indicating space. Time & Space. Visual pun and hidden meaning. I love it
FlyingSucculent says:
- What's your preferred source of inspiration for RPGs? Do you ever get inspired by music to start a game or make a character?
Images of characters or scenes. That can kick off a storytelling session in my head. Pinterest is a wonderful source of such imagey.
FlyingSucculent says:
- May I get a random scientific fact about ice sheets? Or something else related to your profession/field; which is really cool (sorry), by the way!
Random scientific fact about ice sheets: Ice is liquid. It flows, just very slowly. When drilling deeper than 90 meters, you need a drilling fluid of the same density as ice, to prevent the hole from collapsing. My master thesis dealt with the contamination of this drill liquid in the ice core analysis.
Dec 5, 2021 8:59 am
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Where do you see the limits of story vs. probabilistic mechanics (i.e., rolling dice for conflict resolution)? For myself, dice matter for situations where success or failure will have consequences, but not for emotional content.
I really like the genesys dice mechanics that we see in Fantasy Flight star wars games. When dice can change the story path, then they have merit.
Dice should never dictate how one should react emotionally. That is why I never really like any fear mechanics that I have encountered. But I can see why fear should be mechanized sometimes as some immature players can't or won't play a scared character.
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
That being said, I visited Copenhagen years ago and the Danish capital itself would be a great setting for a game. The tension between the Christiania and the surrounding city could be great for pretty much any style of ttrpg.

What do you think?
Any major city has some tension or history that could be useful for roleplay. The WoD werewolf game I mentioned was set in Copenhagen. We looked at our city with werewolf eyes and saw new and exciting story hooks all over. The big spiral in the pavement downtown. That is a portal to the black spiral dancers use ect.
Dec 5, 2021 12:39 pm
runekyndig says:

Yes. Favorites... looks to my wall. Desert, Mage Wars, Keyforge, Pandemic are some of those with the most playtime. Mansion of madness deserves an honorable mention
Oh! Lovely picks here.

Mansion of Madness - 1st edition or 2nd?

Have you tried Pandemic Legacy? I've recently started playing with a group of friends and it's a blast!
Dec 8, 2021 10:23 am
What was your first game you joined on GP. And/Or what was your first successful game you joined on GP?
Dec 8, 2021 10:52 am
bowlofspinach says:
What was your first game you joined on GP.
I remember my first game, was a D&D 5e game where the GM had 4 parallel character treads that he/she envisioned should join together at some point. I remember the "discovery" that I could really spend time on my descriptions and how my character reacted to drinking a healing potion. It was fun - Unfortunately, I think the GM ghosted after a while.
bowlofspinach says:
And/Or what was your first successful game you joined on GP?
Please define successful
Its rare that a game really finishes, so if that is the criteria, I have had a few. Unfortunately, I can't remember what that those were. In the beginning, I left games after they were finished, so there is no history to look through. It's only resent that we have a retired game section.
I GM'ed a few D&D adventure league Eberron game that we finished and where we commented on how unique it was that we could say "The end"
Dec 8, 2021 11:00 am
I would define successful as "lasted long enough that even if it didn't finish, at least I made some good memories with it" or something like it.

Was that first game you described set in some large city with portals into different worlds? It kind of sounds like one of the first games I joined on here as well and we apparently joined at around the same time 🤔
Dec 8, 2021 11:09 am
I looked throug my email for game invites and the earliest that I still remember is @Naatkinson Dungeons & Dragons 5th game, "[5e] Ghosts of Saltmarsh"! (28. may 2019)

I remember that our group got of to a flying start where we met at an inn... to celebrate one of the group members' birthday. We established a tightly knitted group right from the get-go. That was actually the problem :)
When one of the characters died (we were first level), the drive to carry on evaporated. It was not fun and games anymore and it would be more in line with our characters to return home and bury our friend and brother. It kind of ended that game
Dec 8, 2021 11:18 am
Ah, I wasnt in that game.

That's sad that it ended like that but it makes for a good story and is a testament to your group's character play
Dec 8, 2021 10:40 pm
runekyndig says:

I really enjoy the reluctant relationship one of my characters is building with Droog. A simple dwarf, with simple needs. He is drunkenly stupid and charming. That is the first character that comes to mind.
you're going to make me blush.....

Len

Dec 9, 2021 2:29 am
Let's talk Star Trek!

Favorite series? Favorite movie? Favorite character? Best Captain? Favorite ship design?

Len

Dec 9, 2021 2:31 am
Also: you've done some analysis of Gamers Plane data that has been fun to read and look at. If you had unlimited time, what sort of GP data analysis would you find interesting to do?
Dec 9, 2021 7:18 am
Len says:
Let's talk Star Trek!

Favorite series? Favorite movie? Favorite character? Best Captain? Favorite ship design?
Favorite series: The Next Generation
Favorite movie: First contact
Favorite character: Data or Gordi (from The next generation). Dr Flux from Enterprise also comes to mind
Best Captain: Picard, with Janeway as a distanct second.
Favorite ship design: Don't really have an opinion here
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.