Gaming Plans for 2022

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

KCC

Dec 5, 2021 11:06 am
It’s a little early to write any New Year’s resolutions, but I wonder if anyone has something lined up that they really want to try in 2022.

For me; I want to run a game of PBTA. I haven’t really clicked with it 100% but I don’t want to give up on the system just yet. I’d probably keep it short, and not over promise. Very much a "lets see if we can make this work" situation.

How about you?
Dec 5, 2021 11:38 am
I plan to try running several new systems in 2022. I am already set on running a Star Trek Adventures campaign, but I would also like to do several oneshots of different systems to see how I mesh with them.

I am considering doing a "Let’s Learn (System) Together!" kind of recruitment, where I as a newbie GM for a system, specifically look for newbie players for that system as well.

Systems I’m considering are: Pathfinder or Starfinder, Kids on Bikes, Ten Candles, Mothership, Into the Odd, Wildsea, and Reach of Titan, though I will mostly be choosing the ones I actually get an audience for.
Dec 5, 2021 12:01 pm
I'm planning to run a couple of shorter oneshots in the coming year. No details on what exactly yet, but just a couple of different concepts of about 3 months each. Nothing too long. Though, in practice, for me at least, games always end up being longer than expected 😅
Quote:
I am considering doing a "Let’s Learn (System) Together!" kind of recruitment, where I as a newbie GM for a system, specifically look for newbie players for that system as well.

Systems I’m considering are: Pathfinder or Starfinder, Kids on Bikes, Ten Candles, Mothership, Into the Odd, Wildsea, and Reach of Titan, though I will mostly be choosing the ones I actually get an audience for.
That sounds like a fun idea. Depending on the system, I'd be interested in some of them.
Dec 5, 2021 3:04 pm
Probably once the new year passes, the next school semester gets in a groove, and a new game I’m in gets going, I plan to start up one or two of the following:

—a short Dishonored 2d20 adventure with two or three players to test out the system (if there’s enough interest, I know that might be a bit niche)

—a D&D 5e game where we just test out new Unearthed Arcana that comes out. I’m planning the game to be in a different format than most. Every time a new UA is released by WoTC, I (or whoever wants to) can run a short vignette-ish style adventure in which we make character with the new UA features that are released. Once we finish with one, we can either pick an older UA to test while we wait for a new one, or the game can go dormant in between releases.

—At some point I will probably run one of the short adventures featured in the Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount book, as they seem like the perfect length for PbP: you get to level up a couple times and get a BBEG, without the commitment of a year or two of real time (go from levels 1-3 or 2-4).

I also will likely want to join as a player in any official adventures for 5e that get started that I haven’t played yet, and a few short-length games here and there, perhaps in some new systems I want to try out like Numenera and Lancer.
Last edited December 5, 2021 3:05 pm
Dec 5, 2021 3:10 pm
I've got one as a player and one as a DM.

I'd like to try a new system that I've been thinking about, either one of the Pathfinder versions or 13th Age.

I'd like to run a 3rd party pre-written adventure in 5e. There's a lot of good stuff out there that's overshadowed by official modules.
Dec 5, 2021 4:32 pm
aquafina says:
Probably once the new year passes, the next school semester gets in a groove, and a new game I’m in gets going, I plan to start up one or two of the following:

—a short Dishonored 2d20 adventure with two or three players to test out the system (if there’s enough interest, I know that might be a bit niche)

—a D&D 5e game where we just test out new Unearthed Arcana that comes out. I’m planning the game to be in a different format than most. Every time a new UA is released by WoTC, I (or whoever wants to) can run a short vignette-ish style adventure in which we make character with the new UA features that are released. Once we finish with one, we can either pick an older UA to test while we wait for a new one, or the game can go dormant in between releases.

—At some point I will probably run one of the short adventures featured in the Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount book, as they seem like the perfect length for PbP: you get to level up a couple times and get a BBEG, without the commitment of a year or two of real time (go from levels 1-3 or 2-4).

I also will likely want to join as a player in any official adventures for 5e that get started that I haven’t played yet, and a few short-length games here and there, perhaps in some new systems I want to try out like Numenera and Lancer.
I'd definitely be up for the Dishonored game. If the new year works out, I may finally be at a spot where I can run my first game. I'm not sure what system yet though.
Dec 5, 2021 6:17 pm
I'm always interested in new systems that are light on rules but I don't have any particular one in mind at the moment for 2022 other than I'd like to find more of them! I'd also love to see weekend posting games become a regular thing here. It seems like there are more of us addicts than was originally thought.
Dec 5, 2021 11:22 pm
The slate of games that interests me is always shifting, but near the front is Rangers of the Midden Vale, Symbaroum, Mork Borg, and DCC. Always lurking are things like Mothership, Six Gun Fury, Breakers, Masters of Umdaar, and Barbarians of Lemuria. Electric Bastionland, Return of the Woodland Warriors, and ICRPG also bubble up in my thought stew from time to time...

Oh, and Warlock! And Offworlders. And Operation White Box.

I hate my brain.
Last edited December 5, 2021 11:24 pm
Dec 5, 2021 11:24 pm
I want to finish one of the IRL campaigns I DM. Start one of two more. Try to start an RPG club at the kids school. and then maybe try DM'ing a Pbp game here

KCC

Dec 5, 2021 11:34 pm
Indeed, I’ll be going into some more rules-lite stuff myself next year. I find myself liking quick character creation (random, if possible) and simple rules systems that don’t get too much in the way of narrative.

I’d like to run more 4-6 week games again, like I did with Cthulhu this year. But I have a lot of other systems to test out in that format.
Dec 6, 2021 12:35 am
Squadfather44 says:
I'd definitely be up for the Dishonored game.
@Squadfather44 I'll be sure to keep you in mind whenever I get the chance to get it started :) It was a pleasure to play with you in the Fallout 2d20 testing game, and I hope this one goes a little better lol
Last edited December 6, 2021 12:35 am
Dec 6, 2021 12:59 am
aquafina says:
Squadfather44 says:
I'd definitely be up for the Dishonored game.
@Squadfather44 I'll be sure to keep you in mind whenever I get the chance to get it started :) It was a pleasure to play with you in the Fallout 2d20 testing game, and I hope this one goes a little better lol
Indeed!..lol!

I appreciate it.
Dec 6, 2021 1:18 am
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
I am considering doing a "Let’s Learn (System) Together!" kind of recruitment... Systems I’m considering are: Pathfinder or Starfinder, Kids on Bikes, Ten Candles, Mothership, Into the Odd, Wildsea, and Reach of Titan, though I will mostly be choosing the ones I actually get an audience for.
That sounds like a fun idea. Depending on the system, I'd be interested in some of them.
Are there any systems in particular you were eager to try/learn?
Dec 6, 2021 2:24 am
I want to run a couple vignettes - one of which will be Knight Level, heavy combat, SW FFG game (light sabers and force powers a plenty). I'm also planning on running another D&D 5E campaign, one of the official published ones, just need to figure which to run.

Should finish the Lost Mines of Phandelver game I'm GMing sometime next year, which has been a lot of fun. Good group of players - three of which have been with the game the entire time (just about a year now).

Play wise, I'd like to try a couple of new (to me) systems out.
Dec 6, 2021 2:59 am
KCC says:
I’d like to run more 4-6 week games again, like I did with Cthulhu this year. But I have a lot of other systems to test out in that format.
Just remember there are systems out there far lighter than CoC for running Cthulhu games!
Dec 6, 2021 3:55 am
I'm keen to run an Italian RPG I discovered recently, called "Not the End." It's a fascinating system that leans heavily into player participation in the narrative. Think FFG's Star Wars/Genesys system, but stripped down to rules minima. Essentially, you create a completely unique character who has an Archetype, 3 Traits, and 3 Abilities (you get more as the game progresses). If you face a test, you determine which of those things would help you beat the challenge, the GM tells you how hard it is (1–4), and you put a bunch of tokens into a bag (light colored for your traits, dark colored for the difficulty). You draw as many tokens as you would like in a single draw. If you get at least one light token, you succeed. Further light tokens give you added boons that you decide. Dark tokens mean bad side effects happen, which the GM decides.

It would require some doing to figure out how to do token draws on Gamers Plane, as it's not easily replicable via dice. But I really love the back-and-forth of FFG's systems, so I'm eager to try something that strips that concept down to its essence.
Last edited December 6, 2021 3:56 am
Dec 6, 2021 4:22 am
KCC says:

For me; I want to run a game of PBTA. I haven’t really clicked with it 100% but I don’t want to give up on the system just yet. I’d probably keep it short, and not over promise. Very much a "lets see if we can make this work" situation.
I'm a big fan of PbtA so I'd gladly play in any setting you run for that lol.

As for myself, I plan to run a lot of intro games for less popular systems that I don't see mentioned much. I have at least a half dozen games I'd like to try out in PbP and to introduce people to. Before corona (and before getting married more accurately lol) I used to run a game a month that were lesser known in the hope of exposing them to more people. I might do a new system every two months for the year.
Last edited December 6, 2021 4:26 am
Dec 6, 2021 4:46 am
Data says:
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
I am considering doing a "Let’s Learn (System) Together!" kind of recruitment... Systems I’m considering are: Pathfinder or Starfinder, Kids on Bikes, Ten Candles, Mothership, Into the Odd, Wildsea, and Reach of Titan, though I will mostly be choosing the ones I actually get an audience for.
Are there any systems in particular you were eager to try/learn?
Out of that list, primarily Kids on Bikes.
SavageBob says:
I'm keen to run an Italian RPG I discovered recently, called "Not the End." It's a fascinating system that leans heavily into player participation in the narrative. Think FFG's Star Wars/Genesys system, but stripped down to rules minima. Essentially, you create a completely unique character who has an Archetype, 3 Traits, and 3 Abilities (you get more as the game progresses). If you face a test, you determine which of those things would help you beat the challenge, the GM tells you how hard it is (1–4), and you put a bunch of tokens into a bag (light colored for your traits, dark colored for the difficulty). You draw as many tokens as you would like in a single draw. If you get at least one light token, you succeed. Further light tokens give you added boons that you decide. Dark tokens mean bad side effects happen, which the GM decides.

It would require some doing to figure out how to do token draws on Gamers Plane, as it's not easily replicable via dice. But I really love the back-and-forth of FFG's systems, so I'm eager to try something that strips that concept down to its essence.
It's a bit awkward but you could, after figuring out how many of each token you have, assign them to a die roll. If you have 3 light and 2 dark, then you roll a D5, with 1 and 2 being bad and 3 to 5 being good. If you draw a light one and decide to draw again, you roll a D4 where 1 and 2 are bad and 3 and 4 are good
Dec 6, 2021 5:07 am
For 2022, I'm mostly into continuing to explore new systems of all varieties, but primarily Coyote & Crow if I can find the right group, or the right idea, hopefully both.

A long form campaign of deep character arcs would also be great, to backstop a series of one shots I play in random systems. Some irons in that fire already, hoping for the best.

Lastly, Atlas Games has returned to the printing press with new material for Feng Shui 2 so I hope to find like minded fans to explore some of that with.
Dec 6, 2021 4:47 pm
The Avatar TTRPG should be released next year and I backed it at the highest level, so I really want to try that out when it's released.

I want to also start a Dungeon Crawl Classics game and devote more effort to my Numenera game.
Dec 6, 2021 5:07 pm
There's a small, PWYW game called Apocalyptica that I helped the designer with a little bit, which is sort of a Twilight:2000 "simulationist" game, but the rules system is designed to be way less crunchy and you can plug in your own for of apocalyptic scenario. I have been itching to try running that, which might translate to PbP format.
Other than that, I have a couple of tabletop skirmish wargames that I would like to try running this next year (Gaslands, Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse, Rangers of Shadow Deep), but those I think won't translate well through PbP, so for now I'm just gonna stick with running the B/X game I run here and figure out how to set up some of the other games on roll20 for the wargames stuff.
Dec 6, 2021 5:44 pm
Naatkinson says:
The Avatar TTRPG should be released next year and I backed it at the highest level, so I really want to try that out when it's released.
This is also a giant blip on my radar for next year. I couldn't support it when the Kickstarter was live, but I would love to try it out when it is released as well
Dec 6, 2021 5:49 pm
I backed it and would love to try it. I joined a game of it on GP when the kickstarter went up but it didn't last unfortunately
Dec 6, 2021 7:03 pm
funfungiguy says:
Other than that, I have a couple of tabletop skirmish wargames that I would like to try running this next year (Gaslands, Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse, Rangers of Shadow Deep), but those I think won't translate well through PbP.
Man... I really think something like Rangers of Shadowdeep could work in pbp. Pretty well even.

Possibly the furthest back burner I have is allocated for making a digital map for each of the default Scenarios in the core book. Because once you have that? The system is actually really simple, and you could just play and do movement on a grid(or hex)-basis instead of "freeform" measuring inch for inch, and I think it would play just fine. The system doesn't care about facing, no WYSIWYG, it utilizes Skill checks/more than combat...

And RoSD is story-oriented enough that I think it'd still be fun and still have plenty of room for rp in pbp...

But... that is WAY back on the burners unfortunately...

More immediately, I've always thought that pbp would be ideal for a sandboxy, old World of Darkness game.

And towards that end I've always wanted to run a Mortals (w/ Numina), or a Mage: Sorcerer's Crusade campaign. If I find more bandwidth for pbp in 2022, it will go towards one of those games.
Dec 6, 2021 7:52 pm
I have been enjoying the indie darling Wanderhome and would like to see if it can translate well to pbp or not.
Dec 6, 2021 9:24 pm
Hey all. Many of you know me. Some don't. I was getting burnt out on so many games only a few of which had regular posts that I had to step away from the Plane for awhile. Then some personal friends talked me into joining a couple of their games and then one more and then one which one of their players was starting. All four of them and the GMs did what they usually do, fade away.

I'll tell you that I just finished celebrating my 74th birthday and am ill equipped these days to learn anything new. I have 44 years experience playing D&D so, in 2022, I'd like to find a full campaign world that is well controlled by the GM. I prefer pretty standard characters of relatively normal races. (human, dwarven, elvish and even gnome and halfling) If anyone is planning something like that or knows of such a game, please let me know.
Dec 7, 2021 3:13 am
bowlofspinach says:
It's a bit awkward but you could, after figuring out how many of each token you have, assign them to a die roll. If you have 3 light and 2 dark, then you roll a D5, with 1 and 2 being bad and 3 to 5 being good. If you draw a light one and decide to draw again, you roll a D4 where 1 and 2 are bad and 3 and 4 are good
That's a good idea. We'd need to come up with the "conversion" system, but maybe it could be made to work.
Dec 7, 2021 7:51 am
I've picked up a ton of free quickstarts and made a list of 50 games I'd like to check out next year; preferably live, around a table or online, but some may make it to GP as well. I'm probably keeping all the Powered by the Apocalypse games out as they are made for a very fast-flowing live setting of discussion and bargaining that doesn't lend itself that well to the PbP format. That said, my top picks are probably Earthdawn, Eclipse Phase, Wrath & Glory, Symbaroum, Lex Arcana, Heart: The City Beneath and Hard Wired Island.
Dec 7, 2021 9:34 am
Let's see. Symbaroum, Coriolis, Degenesis, Numenera, Kult, oWod.
Those are the games that interest me the most atm. I'd probably run an additional Kult Campaign once my schedule is a bit clearer.
Dec 7, 2021 6:36 pm
More of my own systems. I have let them sit for a long time and I would like to give them some fresh attention
Dec 9, 2021 7:24 pm
SavageBob says:

I (co)wrote that! Should you need any advice on running it (although I haven't much experience in PbP) I'm here.
Last edited December 9, 2021 7:25 pm
Dec 9, 2021 8:15 pm
Aironfabio says:
SavageBob says:
I'm keen to run an Italian RPG I discovered recently, called "Not the End."
I (co)wrote that! Should you need any advice on running it (although I haven't much experience in PbP) I'm here.
Oh, wow! Please run a game here! :) We can figure out how to do the token draws (or beg the devs to implement something...) :D
Dec 9, 2021 8:24 pm
SavageBob says:

Oh, wow! Please run a game here! :) We can figure out how to do the token draws (or beg the devs to implement something...) :D
Should you find a way to implement the tokens I'm all up for it... though I'm just now recovering after playing it almost exclusively during playtest. :)

KCC

Dec 9, 2021 11:56 pm
I might have "done the dog on it" as my mother used to say. I gathered quite a collection of games this year, and I really want to try get through a few of them in short format!

Life has been a bit hectic for the last while, as my players know all too well. Hopefully by next year, things settle.
Dec 13, 2021 9:17 am
emsquared says:
funfungiguy says:
Other than that, I have a couple of tabletop skirmish wargames that I would like to try running this next year (Gaslands, Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse, Rangers of Shadow Deep), but those I think won't translate well through PbP.
Man... I really think something like Rangers of Shadowdeep could work in pbp. Pretty well even.

Possibly the furthest back burner I have is allocated for making a digital map for each of the default Scenarios in the core book. Because once you have that? The system is actually really simple, and you could just play and do movement on a grid(or hex)-basis instead of "freeform" measuring inch for inch, and I think it would play just fine. The system doesn't care about facing, no WYSIWYG, it utilizes Skill checks/more than combat...

And RoSD is story-oriented enough that I think it'd still be fun and still have plenty of room for rp in pbp...

But... that is WAY back on the burners unfortunately...
Believe it or not, I started working on those maps back in May. I only finished the first two scenarios, though. I'm still very much a novice cartographer and was making them as a learning exercise. So, they could probably be made to look nicer than they do, but they meet the specs. I made event cards for them, too. If there is interest in trying a PbP game I don't mind sharing them. Just send me a PM. That would probably give me enough incentive to actually finish the project.
Dec 13, 2021 5:00 pm
Well, here I go.

First would be to work with Adam on our (and I'm using "our" quite liberally)
[ +- ] spoiler alert
. Really eager to make this project work.

Then, I'd like to GM an indy game that has caught my eye, Wyrlocks!. (not affiliated in any way.) I think I'm getting the hang of it slowly, so stay tuned.
Nice things are coming soon™.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.