Mouse guard

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 9, 2021 5:23 am
Has anyone ever thought about running a Mouse Guard game here?
Dec 9, 2021 5:24 am
I've heard it mentioned, but never seen an advertisement for it. It sounds like a cool system with an interesting twist (meaning the whole mouse schtick), I'm surprised I don't see it more often.
Dec 9, 2021 6:39 am
It's been talked about and it's possible @Qralloq did? Though I might be misremembering. Some of the mechanics a little heavy for PbP play but a dedicated group could make it work. There are quiet a few alternatives out there that are similar and lighter, though. Covered frequently in the GP Discord -- Return of the Woodland Warriors and Mausritter are two of my favorites, but there are quite a few others, methinks.
Dec 9, 2021 7:53 am
I've wanted to test that game (and Burning Wheel in general) out for a while, but I haven't had the opportunity. I should add Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard to my 'games systems to learn' 2022 resolution.
Dec 9, 2021 8:37 am
I've run Mouseguard on another PbP site. Both it and Burning Wheel are hard to run over PbP I feel because both games require a LOT of player investment and its centered on character growth and development. Having even one player leave a game is much more detrimental than most games (even more so for BW) as all the characters are tied together from the outset. If you find a very dedicated set of players who are willing to stick with it, I think it's a very good game. I know KCC wants to play Mouseguard as well so if enough people are interested I will consider running it.
Dec 9, 2021 8:49 am
nezzeraj says:
I've run Mouseguard on another PbP site. Both it and Burning Wheel are hard to run over PbP I feel because both games require a LOT of player investment and its centered on character growth and development. Having even one player leave a game is much more detrimental than most games (even more so for BW) as all the characters are tied together from the outset. If you find a very dedicated set of players who are willing to stick with it, I think it's a very good game. I know KCC wants to play Mouseguard as well so if enough people are interested I will consider running it.
Granted, I'd be a new player, but how many players would you need?
Dec 9, 2021 10:01 am
New players are fine as long as you have the books. I'd say a max of 4 players. BW based games are better with smaller groups I feel.
Dec 9, 2021 10:12 am
Nice, I think there's 3 potential players...I think.

What books would I need to look for?
Dec 9, 2021 10:24 am
There's a Mouse Guard core rulebook and that's all there is.
Dec 9, 2021 10:26 am
nezzeraj says:
There's a Mouse Guard core rulebook and that's all there is.
Rgr

KCC

Dec 9, 2021 10:30 am
Did someone say they are running Mouse Guard starting ASAP? I’m in!
Dec 9, 2021 10:39 am
Lol...that's possibly 4 players.
Dec 9, 2021 10:55 am
Lol well looks like my next game is decided then. I'll create it after dinner.
Dec 9, 2021 11:09 am
nezzeraj says:
Lol well looks like my next game is decided then. I'll create it after dinner.
Thank you!

KCC

Dec 9, 2021 11:35 am
*Cracks open box set I just got*
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 pm
@skeptical_stun, @Harrigan, did either of you want to join?
Dec 9, 2021 2:47 pm
I was in a Mouse guard game here that was fun. I played in another game that lasted over a year on another site that was really entertaining. It eventually petered out though.
Dec 9, 2021 3:17 pm
nezzeraj says:
@skeptical_stun, @Harrigan, did either of you want to join?
That's very kind of you, but my plate is full for the moment. I'm trying to get more focused into the games I'm already in rather than dividing my focus further. Have fun, though!
Dec 9, 2021 4:42 pm
I played in a MG game here under... someone... It was a one shot, and I think we got through it?

It works better than BW in my opinion as MG has more structure (GM "turn", Player "turn"), less book keeping, and simpler combat mechanics.

I would be interested, but my docket is a little full atm
Dec 9, 2021 9:08 pm
@nezzeraj, I’ve played Burning Wheel pbp before, and I do have Mouse Guard! I’d like to join if you have any further space. No worries if not, but if you have anyone drop out down the line I’d be up for assuming their existing character so play can continue without interruption.

Best wishes!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.