MOAR ideas

Dec 16, 2021 12:16 pm
Stefron says:
Maybe not a small tweak but it would be awesome if it was possible to make custom dice using the dice rules.

A lot of games have some sort of special dice. For instance, The One Ring has a d12 with numbers 1-10, Gandalf rune and the Eye of Sauron.
Other systems have d6s with blanks or symbols like skulls, success etc. depending on the system.
Fate and Starwars got hardcoded special dice but it would be nice if the GM could set up rules for special dice for any system.

So basically if it would be possible to change the numerical value of a die to text.

For tweaks and fixes: 0d6 rolls 1d6 instead of nothing, which is a little odd.
(Fun fact: Abucketfullofd6 also just rolls one d6)

Source
Dec 16, 2021 12:19 pm
vagueGM says:
Possibly a small thing.

It would be nice if it remembered who we posted as in a thread and selected that character the next time. Save this in a cookie to avoid database changes?

source
Dec 16, 2021 12:24 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
--Load previous-- more than once.

I know it would sort of be redundant with load all, but I find myself wishing it was available some times if I'm browsing a thread backwards to remember what happened recently.

Source
For those times when twenty posts aren't enough to jog your memory.
Dec 16, 2021 12:25 pm
Custom card decks (multiple sources)
Dec 16, 2021 12:26 pm
Chalrytharendir made good points about reducing cross-posting by having ajax notifications of new posts in a currently viewed thread.
Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm
Adam says:
vagueGM says:
Possibly a small thing.

It would be nice if it remembered who we posted as in a thread and selected that character the next time. Save this in a cookie to avoid database changes?
A nice and easy change. We already pick up changes to the selected character so we can show the char sheet link - hooking the event to save that locally and restoring it on page load should be easy.

We should probably put more of these config options into local storage rather than server storage (I'm looking at you dark mode).
I'm not a huge fan of this idea but if it happens, I won't complain too much about it. If anything, I'd prefer if we were able to tag a character as primary character for a game (optionally) and then have that as the default posting option.
Or just to keep it as is where Player is the default.
Dec 16, 2021 12:31 pm
bowlofspinach says:

I'm not a huge fan of this idea but if it happens, I won't complain too much about it. If anything, I'd prefer if we were able to tag a character as primary character for a game (optionally) and then have that as the default posting option.
It's easy, so it's worth an experiment in a separate branch.

Maybe one day we'll be able to set up a "tweaks system" where we can use experimental code, but with a live database. BTW that's not my idea - vagueGM brought it up in a voice conversation on Discord when we were talking about V2. It's a bloody interesting idea though. Like a beta site, but the changes still happen for live data.
Dec 16, 2021 12:32 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I kinda thought you (and Adam) might not be, but most people only have one character in a game, and either post as the player or as that character.

Setting a default choice would be better than assuming the last, but most won't need it. If available, a set default should override the last, else the last is better than assuming posting as the player.

The [ NPC] tag might mean even fewer instances of numerous character sheets.
Dec 16, 2021 12:36 pm
vagueGM says:
bowlofspinach says:
I kinda thought you (and Adam) might not be, but most people only have one character in a game, and either post as the player or as that character.

Setting a default choice would be better than assuming the last, but most won't need it. If available, a set default should override the last, else the last is better than assuming posting as the player.

The [ NPC] tag might mean even fewer instances of numerous character sheets.
I like it. As a DM, I now pretty much rely on the NPC tag, but even when I didn't, "Player" was rarely the right choice. At least my last NPC had a good chance of being right.

As a player? Yeah, I really want this.

Gotta be worth a shot. Remember by thread rather than game?
Dec 16, 2021 12:37 pm
MRU for NPC tags and dice rolls.
Dec 16, 2021 12:37 pm
Yes, definitely by thread.
At a minimum this distinguishes between IC and OOC.
Dec 16, 2021 1:14 pm
I think specifically because of the NPC tag, this would make the experience worse. If I use an NPC sheet in one post and a tag in another, that leads to annoying interactions.

I don't like this idea and personally, it would make my experience on the site worse but it looks like I'm overruled. And I get it. For many players, this would probably be an improvement. But I think in general, it would be worse for (mostly but not exclusively) GMs than not having it.
Dec 16, 2021 1:17 pm
As much as possible all these things should be optional. If we can turn them off they are better for everyone.
Dec 16, 2021 1:19 pm
This isn't where we decide if it should be done, just collecting ideas on how it can be done.

But we need to watch for the tyranny of the majority too. I had hoped someone else would help with how we determine what should be adopted.

Maybe it needs a 2/3 majority community vote before a merge request is made (tyranny of the supermajority).
Dec 16, 2021 3:56 pm
https://i.imgur.com/D12V5dz.png
This, for custom sheets.

The custom dice looks neat-o.

I wonder if we could have the ability to "colour" dice in specific rolls. Asking for a friend...
Dec 16, 2021 4:11 pm
What would the bbcode be for those check boxes?
It'd want the total number and the number checked.

It'd be better when there's WYSIWYG editting of the underlying BBCode too.
Dec 16, 2021 4:35 pm
Adam says:
What would the bbcode be for those check boxes?
It'd want the total number and the number checked.
Total, marked, and shape? Then these can represent progress bars as well as clocks.

But I agree, without an ability to click them with the mouse, they are just more work than 'Stress: 1 / 5'

You do not have permission to post in this thread.