[Interest Check] OSR One-Shot

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 21, 2021 10:39 pm
So because the game bees rattling in my head won't shut up about the idea, I'm gonna put it forth and see who might be interested.

The Idea
The players will make max level characters who have gone through many triumphs and defeats, joys and sorrows. They have hung up their adventuring gear for a time before reviewing a mysterious message for them to meet at the tavern in which they all met. The message in question is signed "The D.M."
Upon arriving, they find the tavern is largely the same, having barely changed since they left, though oddities are around. Further inspection leads them to find an entrance to the lair of the Dungeon Master who bids them a final challenge. To answer their deepest questions and perhaps give them ever-lasting cosmic power.

The Jist
To summarize, the players will take on a high level dungeoncrawl against a meta adversary.
I'm still pondering the system to use, whether or not to use Old School Essentials, For Gold & Glory, or something else.
OSE is nice because it's basically the updated rules for O/AD&D. FG&G because it's basically 2e and free. But I'm also open to other system ideas, so long as they have an SRD or are cheap enough, such as Basic Fantasy.

I don't plan on starting the game until some time in January. I'll definitely start it up if I get roughly four(4) people interested.
Dec 22, 2021 2:48 am
I'd prefer OSRIC to OSE/G&G, but I'm interested either way.
Dec 22, 2021 4:35 am
I've only heard of it, so I'll have to give it a read.
Dec 22, 2021 8:06 pm
OSRIC is free and is essentially 1E with the serial numbers filed off.
Dec 22, 2021 9:28 pm
Yeah, I got that from my cursory glance last night. It is certainly a possibility, but I'll leave it as an available option to see if anyone might want it as well.
Thanks for bringing it up :)
Dec 24, 2021 10:53 pm
I'd be interested. I have all of the games mentioned in the initial pitch, and would be happy with playing any of them.
Dec 25, 2021 8:12 am
That be two interested parties - two more to go
Dec 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Since there seems to be nothing else going on that interests me and I've played OSRIC I'd be interested. I'll just review the rules quickly and see what kind of character I can put together.
Dec 25, 2021 10:32 pm
I'm thinking Ranger and since you mentioned max level, the Ranger seems to have numbers up to level 24. If we go that route, every class seems to have a different limit and every race seems to have its own level limit. With that I suspect every character will be Human with no racial limit to class. Let us know if you need to rethink that max level limit.
Dec 26, 2021 11:40 pm
I hadn't thought of Osric, since I've never looked over the rules prior to posting. Since it has that higher cap with various classes and races, I'd prefer to keep things around a closer gap. Osric is still in the running, but I'll have to think about it.
I will say, it does make me prefer OSE due to level caps being closer to one another. Been busy with the holidays though, so we'll see
Dec 27, 2021 6:39 pm
I know nothing about OSE, not even what it stands for. If I can grab a free pdf of it and it's not too dissimilar to OSRIC or other DnD products, I could probably learn it and use it, but if it's something completely different, I wouldn't be interested in learning something new. I am an old dog ya know.
Dec 27, 2021 7:54 pm
OSE is Old School Essentials. You can get the PDF for $10 here. Note that these are all the rules that a player needs. For the full ruleset, it's $20 and you can find it here. new classes and races can be found in this work.
Dec 27, 2021 8:07 pm
For Gold and Glory, by the way, is basically AD&D 2E.
Dec 27, 2021 9:24 pm
Aye, and that one is at least free.

As far as rules go, Old School Essentials is essentially the same as far as basic rules go when compared to OSRIC. Though class requirements are much lower and allow for players to play classes that would otherwise require much higher rolls.
It's kinda a matter of preference on that ground.
Dec 28, 2021 6:20 am
Just to be pedantic, OSE is specifically rooted in 1980s B/X, Basic/Expert. So quite a bit simpler than either version of AD&D. It's also far and away the best written and laid out rules reference for any version of D&D, according to a -lot- of OSR fans. I wish Gavin Norman would take on some other rulesets and give them the same treatment...
Dec 28, 2021 6:52 am
Just for clarification since I've not seen the phase "far and away" used like that, is the meaning good or bad?

Also, if anyone is in need, I wouldn't be adverse to try and share the rules for it.
Dec 28, 2021 7:30 am
Far and away meaning something is the best at something by a good measure. Probably some colloquialism that's stuck with me since my youth. I'm full of such nonsense. To be clear here I'm not saying the best game / version of D&D, just the clearest and best set of reference materials.
Dec 28, 2021 7:41 am
Ah, yes! I was thinking that's what you meant, but I always tend to see things in odd ways.
I can wholeheartedly agree to it. When I played Ad&d 1e some few months ago, it was fun, but reading the book was a bit confusing. Especially when trying to find small bits of rules that really aren't there or easy to find. OSE's writing was fairly easy to comprehend.
Dec 28, 2021 7:45 am
Yup. That's its real claim to fame, and it's emerging from the OSR as very much a leader in the field because of it.
Last edited December 29, 2021 6:08 am
Dec 28, 2021 6:36 pm
Interesting. I may have to check it out. I get my monthly allowance* for Drive-Thru RPG at the beginning of January. I can pick up the full ruleset and the added advanced material.

*My wife permits me $30/month for Drive-Thru RPG because if I were given free reign, I would own literally millions of PDFs that I will probably never use and we'd be broke. My collection of PDFs already numbers in the thousands.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.