Chapter 2: Hither

load previous
Sep 27, 2022 12:40 am
Both Morgort and Tsu hoot and holler when Beven tells of Bavlorna's defeat. "That is some incredible news, your Majesty!" with no explanation of the honorific.

The Inn parks itself in front of the boat dock where DeLorean is tied up. Tsu lowers the ladder and you climb up. Vansel happily invites himself along.

The inside of the Inn smells of ginger and garlic, and you can see that Tsu has a great big pot vegetarian chilli simmering on the cook fire and fresh fruit pies are cooling by the window.

Morgort is hauling up a fresh keg of beer. She looks completely different now that she's wearing proper clothes and has cleaned up. She returns Jules' sentiments: "And I am relieved you did too. You and your crew are something else! "

You see each of you has a private bedroom reserved, and she invites you all to wash up and change out of the dreadful soggy court livery. "And don't forget to wash behind your ears!" she adds in a motherly tone.

Over supper, Tsu asks you to recount your tale, and is suitably impressed by your tactics and bravery. She considers your question about Bavlorna's temporary prison. "Yes, I think we can reinforce that cage you put her in. It is made of wood after all, and any druid worth their leafy sprigs can weave that into stronger forms. Trouble will be feeding her and making sure she doesn't cast a spell or something. I'll need help."
Sep 27, 2022 1:45 am
Sarynn's hair is still damp from the cleanup, and she is clad in her former garments when she first arrived at the Carnival.

At Tsu's comment, she mimes the use of a straw, offering a possible suggestion.

KCC

Sep 27, 2022 2:09 am
"Help. That’s the thing, isn’t it ? It seems like everywhere we turn, help is needed."

He turns introspective for a moment:

"And help is given; as our friend Hester demonstrated so fully. Did you happen to find any others since our parting? It feels like the whole realm is on the very cusp of action." There’s an excitement in the Drow’s words.

Magic strong enough to hold ‘one of three’…" he puts his hand to his chin.

"And maybe someday ‘three of three’ if our work is successful. Do you know the incantations, Tsu? You said you needed help."
Last edited September 27, 2022 2:10 am
Sep 27, 2022 9:23 pm
Reynard takes some time to clean himself, having Darius scrub his back as he did when they were kids. Before everything went horribly wrong. Shaking himself out of some dark memories, he puts his normal clothes on and heads out to the main room of the inn, "Your help is appreciated, Tsu."

"You know, you won't need help if we just kill her now," he says, only half-joking, "Really though, what sort of help do you need or is it just the basics of making sure she's fed and watched over?"
Sep 29, 2022 2:46 am
"Killing isn't the solution for everything, young one," Tsu rebukes Reynard for his comment about killing the hag. It's not a strong rebuke, and she concedes your point.

"It would definitely be easier, but I am not in the business of doing easy things, but rather right things."

"Oh, there's a good deal of problems I'll need help with. First, I'll need help with the druidic spell to reinforce her wooden cage. Then, yes, I'll need help keeping her secure. Maybe that old tree blight can be rehabilitated to serve as her warden? And then we'll need a defending force if the Bullywugs find their courage and try to free her. Once folks hear she's been beat I bet they'll come in droves to help, but until then..."

She turns to Quennan and responds to his query with a warm smile. "I do know the incantation, of course. And I'd be happy to teach them to you, if you lend me your strength, old friend."
Sep 29, 2022 2:49 am
Tsu continues, pensively.

"The biggest problem is what if her sisters come to rescue her? I doubt we could hold of two of them. If you can take the fight to Thither and Yon then we maybe they won't have the time."

KCC

Sep 29, 2022 6:52 am
The realization of what Tsu asking of him washed over Quennan and left him dumbstruck for a moment.

"The others would be in great peril…" he looks uncertain to the rest of the group.

"And yet we need to solidify the gains we’ve already sacrificed for."

The Drow’s heart was pulled in two directions.

"And there’s the League of Malevolence to contend with! We are sorely pressed."
Sep 29, 2022 9:31 am
A bit dumbstruck, Jules looks from Tsu to Quennan and back again. This is coming completely unexpected to the big city gnome. And Quennan is right, there are many dangers out there still to be dealt with.

But... Quennan had already fallen twice in a battle and as much as the trickster would miss the drow who helped him to face Kettlesteam and close the gap between Ween and Rubin, the halflings from the carnival, ... it would be considerably safer for him at the side of his mentor and fellow druid Tsu. And securing Lorna would be a massive way to have their backs. The best. Jules doesn't like the idea of facing Bavlorna a second time to be honest.

And so, he comes up next to the druid with a sigh and lays a small hand on the drow's big one as says with a sad tone: "You stay with Tsu, Quennan. You are more needed here than in Tither. If you are finished, than you can join us again any time you like."

Glancing at Morgort, Jules hopes that the bullywug fighter would keep an eye on his friend as well. At least as long as it takes to solidify the peace in Hither.
Sep 29, 2022 6:45 pm
Tsu responds approvingly. "Quennan would be an ideal partner. His knowledge of druidic magic is solid - I should know, I taught him!"

Morgort and Vansel both commit to stay behind with Tsu as well. Vansels offers "I reckon we can get that sad elf bard and the Galeb Duhr to join us - they seem to be hanging around. What a slamming band they'd make!"

Tsu has another idea. "Of course, losing Quennan's talents would be a blow to the Witchlight Crew's strength - and you'll need every ounce of that. However, I do know of another."

She walks over to one of the room doors and knocks a few times, except there's no answer. "Sorry, he's always like this..."
Sep 29, 2022 9:11 pm
Reynard places a hand on Quennan's shoulder, "I'll be sad to see you go, you've been my brother in arms and that's no small thing," he says solemnly, "I understand the need for you to stay and you'll always be welcome to re-join our quest if the opportunity presents itself."
Sep 29, 2022 9:20 pm
Sarynn follows suit, pouring Quennan and everyone else a shot from her supply of Hag Hooch. She toasts the druid and downs the alcohol in a generous swig.

KCC

Sep 30, 2022 3:45 am
Quennan clasps the gnome’s hand with his free hand, and gives his companion a knowing smile. The Drow knew it was right, and yet it felt wrong.

Sad!…

"Yes…" he says, finally.

"I suppose I’ll meet you again when it comes time to deposit another sister into the cell." he says, with a sad smile.

"Thank you." turning to Reynard and then Sarynn. "It’s no easy decision. But if my skills are needed to contain this evil here.

Another; you said?"
and he looks expectantly to the door.
Sep 30, 2022 6:00 am
"Another Quennan? Just like Darius is another Reynard?" Twisp claps his hands. "That's brilliant! Can I get a clone, too?"
Last edited September 30, 2022 6:04 am

KCC

Sep 30, 2022 9:47 am
Quietness, as the room waits for an answer to the knocking.

Nothing, as Tsu knocks again. And again.

And then an explosion of sound as someone fumbles around inside the room. Rummaging, muted muttering and then the door swings open.

In the new space stands a large, rather gangly Bugbear, fastening his coat hurriedly. The buttons are done up wrong, in haste, though the Bugbear doesn’t notice.

He adjusts his weapon’s belt, and starts to exclaim:

"Is it time? Is it now?! Are we there?" and then he stifles a just-woke-up yawn. His beard is beautifully braided, though the rest of him has bed-head.

"I’ll show that Bavlorna a thing or two. And quite right, too! Point me in her…" he reaches for the hilt of his rapier.

And then he sees he has an audience.

"Oh bother! This is them, isn’t it?"

"We’re too late, I take it?"
Last edited September 30, 2022 9:50 am
Sep 30, 2022 9:55 am
"'Late' is relative, I always say," Twisp exclaims, bounding up to offer a handshake. "Twisp McNivens. Glad to meet you! Though a daresay, you look nothing like Quennan here."
Last edited September 30, 2022 9:57 am

KCC

Sep 30, 2022 10:18 am
"You don’t think? I can see it a little. Around the eyes, mainly." he says with a smirk.

KCC

Sep 30, 2022 10:21 am
"I see. I see. Biff Zezzarr the Fourth." the Bugbear responds, quite proudly, as he takes the hand.

"And are you one of the Hither Mc Nivenses or one of the Thither Mc Nivenses?" he asks, getting a good look at the rabbitfolk.
Sep 30, 2022 11:55 am
"The more appropriate question is 'from WHEN in the history of the McNivens' am I?" Twisp replies cryptically.

"Biff.. a familiar name. By any chance, do you know the Tannens? Never mind." Twisp introduces each one of his companions in turn.
Sep 30, 2022 7:10 pm
"Jules Honeyfriend, from the Waterhavian Honeyfriend's side. Much oblieged!" and bows slightly as a greating. All of this just before Twisp can make the introduction. Jules may be small in comparison to the others, but his mom told him to always mind his manners and he should be damned to disappoint her.

Looking the newcomer up and down the gnome smiles amused and looks forward to learn more about Tsu's friend.
Oct 1, 2022 12:40 am
Reynard is surprised to see a bugbear that's so well put together, but shrugs it off. It's certainly not the oddest thing he's seen here. He offers a hand to shake, "Reynard," he says, then motions to his shadow, "And this is Darius."

Darius waves.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.