Next release?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 26, 2021 3:58 pm
Decisions are made by GPers who show up. Most of the features that were trailed in December are now on the staging site for you to preview.

There's no special hurry to release these features and fixes. Take your time.
[ +- ] Access staging
Savage Worlds and Star Wars FFG - To be tested on staging

tweak/starwars_sheet_integration
tweaks/savage_worlds_rollers
tweak/starwars_ffg_dice

These changes need Savage Worlds and Star Wars FFG players/GMs to look at them on staging.

UI tweaks

I don't think there's anything controversial in this list. I don't think they need a vote. If I'm wrong then comment below.
[ +- ] tweak/mention_menu
[ +- ] tweak/advanced_post_preview
[ +- ] tweak/table_formats
[ +- ] tweak/backfill_advanced
[ +- ] tweak/mobile_markitup_menus
[ +- ] tweak/game_menu_character_names
[ +- ] tweak/keep_characters_together_in_menu
[ +- ] tweak/forum_rules_mobile_footer
[ +- ] tweak/bottom_breadcrumb
[ +- ] tweak/Game_link_to_tavern
[ +- ] tweak/mobile_avatar_styling
[ +- ] tweak/character_game_menu
[ +- ] tweak/deeper_threads_menu
[ +- ] tweak/removed_open_games_notification
[ +- ] tweak/tavern_thread_badges
[ +- ] tweak/gamers_list_sort
[ +- ] tweak/styling_improvements
Bug fixes

I don't think we need to vote on these bug fixes.

bug/new_user_lfg_badge
bug/public_game_menu_support
bug/13th_age_newlines
bug/reset_password
bug/spycraft_display
bug/backslashes_in_thread_title
bug/quote_locked_thread
bug/3_column_layout
bug/poll_vote_read_only
bug/manage_subscriptions_duplicates

Back to the workbench

tweak/thread_online_indicators
tweak/typing_indicators
tweak/snooze_your_games

These ideas weren't quite right and other implementations are being explored.
Last edited December 26, 2021 4:04 pm
Dec 26, 2021 3:59 pm
Feature voting
[ +- ] feature/discord_integration

Should this feature be added to Gamers' Plane?

Yes
No
Abstain
[ +- ] feature/comment_on_public_games

Yes
No
Abstain
[ +- ] feature/zoommap

Yes
No
Abstain
[ +- ] feature/open_polls

Yes
No
Abstain
Last edited December 26, 2021 3:59 pm
Dec 26, 2021 4:00 pm
[ +- ] tweak/custom_dice_content

Yes
No
Abstain
Dec 26, 2021 4:00 pm
[ +- ] tweak/user_activity_chart

Yes
No
Abstain
Dec 26, 2021 7:34 pm
For testing out the new Star Wars stuff — do we need to start a brand-new game to test them out? Or will our current games show up on the staging server? And does everyone in the game need to use the same test server, or is it possible for just the GM to do so? Or a player or two?
Dec 26, 2021 8:08 pm
Oh man, I've been just posting in existing games on the staging servers. Just trying to roll a tonne of despair!
Dec 26, 2021 8:17 pm
SavageBob says:
For testing out the new Star Wars stuff — do we need to start a brand-new game to test them out? Or will our current games show up on the staging server? And does everyone in the game need to use the same test server, or is it possible for just the GM to do so? Or a player or two?
It'll have a copy of the site (as of this morning) so you should be able to test it as though it had been released.
Dec 26, 2021 9:01 pm
SavageBob says:
... does everyone in the game need to use the same test server, or is it possible for just the GM to do so? Or a player or two?
They servers do not talk to each other. What happens on staging stays on staging, so any players who want to test need to go over there as well.

Don't play real games there, they are not guaranteed to be kept and stuff will get lost. This is only for testing.
Dec 27, 2021 9:09 pm
@crazybirdman from staging site.
crazybirdman says:
I hope this is the right place for questions. On the star wars dice integration, after you select the skill and difficulty, the dice/roll comes op perfectly. when you click a green diceit deletes it, and when you click the purple dice it upgrades it to red. Is there a reason for this?
Sure, you can ask here - although I'll move it to the main site too.

Would you prefer green gets upgraded to yellow, too?

So...
Clicking green goes to yellow
Clicking purple goes to red
Clicking everything else deletes
(so it's to clicks to remove green and purple)

How does that sound?
Dec 27, 2021 9:26 pm
@crazybirdman
(from staging - just to keep everyone informed about how SW will work).
crazybirdman says:
That sounds great, I just think it's a good idea to keep it consistent.
And you, or GM's really, will need to remind players they will need to fill in all their skills for it to work for all of them. (some people only put the skills they have ranks in on the sheet)
Okay. I've updated that in staging. Take a look.
Dec 30, 2021 7:04 pm
[ +- ] tweak/user_activity_chart
This has a substantial minority of people against it.

We want to avoid the tyranny of the majority that often comes from voting - where a majority of people slightly care for a feature but a significant minority really hate it or are damaged by it.

If you voted no and would like to give feedback about your decision then I'd be interested in hearing it. You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable saying why publicly.
Dec 30, 2021 7:50 pm
The biggest reason I voted no was that it adds granularity and visualization to data that doesn't actually show much in reality. It's a struggle I have with the general post count as well.

For example, in the games that I DM (for those that have played in them) I tend to have several threads and posts that I use for the management of the game (private forums for the players to handle things like whispered knowledge or dream delivery or secret plot developments to knowledge compendiums to lore posts, or what-have-you). While, yes, those are definitely posts to my credit the data around post counts (and any further segmentation/visualization of that) doesn't really do terribly much to inform about me as a community member if that makes sense? There is a slight worry that it's information which could be negatively (intentionally or not) by GMs when determining inclusion of players in a game.

I guess my vote is really less an emphatic no and more of a semi-apathetic no. Definitely not abstaining, but I don't see a huge beneficial trade-off for the effort (for me personally). I'm happy to be convinced otherwise however!
Dec 30, 2021 7:51 pm
It does promote an elitist vibe. Look at us, bowl, adam, qralloq and runekyndig - we live here on this site, we are active and therefore better. Lets not go there
Dec 30, 2021 8:20 pm
I don't think a monthly breakdown is necessary but I do like the current profile setup. If I see someone who has made 5 posts in 2 years and wants to join my game, I will PM them and ask why they have hardly posted in 2 years. Same for a GM that would like to run a game I am interested in as I am tired of ghosting players and GMs, and this is can be part of a vetting process if one so chooses to use it. I'd like to have this piece of info as part of that process but not the sole factor. So I find it useful. As far as I know, none of us high posters feel that elite vibe. We are just having a blast and I haven't gotten the impression that others on the site feel that way.
Last edited December 30, 2021 9:31 pm
Dec 30, 2021 9:27 pm
Adam says:
We want to avoid the tyranny of the majority that often comes from voting - where a majority of people slightly care for a feature but a significant minority really hate it or are damaged by it.
Maybe 'yes, no, who cares' are not a good metric.

We might be better served by a 1-5 by a clearly defined 'Strongly No; No; Meh; Yes; Strongly Yes' as more informative options. If everything ends up in the middle band, that tells us something as well.
Dec 30, 2021 9:53 pm
Dramasailor says:
I don't see a huge beneficial trade-off for the effort
The code for all of these is already written (the features are in staging), so there's no effort. Nor will I be bothered if any of the code is thrown away, as so little effort was required for these. Nothing has really been built, it's just polishing what was already there.
runekyndig says:
It does promote an elitist vibe. Look at us, bowl, adam, qralloq and runekyndig - we live here on this site, we are active and therefore better. Lets not go there
This is a valid concern, but I think that's the post count already that does that. A chart does draw attention to the numbers though. I'm more concerned that people might be self-conscious if they have a lull in their posting chart (although, we all know that real life does that to all of us). Dunno.
vagueGM says:
We might be better served by a 1-5 by a clearly defined 'Strongly No; No; Meh; Yes; Strongly Yes' as more informative options. If everything ends up in the middle band, that tells us something as well.
I think you're right. If we do this again then that'll be the way to go.
Dec 30, 2021 10:32 pm
RE: tweak/deeper_threads_menu

I'm playing around on the staging site (mapdm.com)

I think it's a little busy to have forum descriptions included in the deeper thread menu.

Example:
https://i.imgur.com/Y6KwMm7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5r5tZ7H.jpg

The "Characters" subforum description "Concept Discussion, Stat Rolling, Sheet Creation, Advancement, and Secret Info" gets really jammed up. I think the subforum names are enough to navigate.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.