Ask Me Anything: CancerMan

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 16, 2022 12:54 pm
Baseball is also my biggest hobby. Have you ever tried any sports TTRPGs?
Jan 16, 2022 6:56 pm
NABO says:
Baseball is also my biggest hobby. Have you ever tried any sports TTRPGs?
The closest I came to a sports-related TTRPG was Blood Bowl.
Jan 16, 2022 7:03 pm
Quote:
Blood Bowl
That does not sound like a good time for me specifically
Jan 16, 2022 7:14 pm
- Have you played any musical video games? Rhythm games, music-based level generation, musical storytelling, etc? Or maybe music-themed TTRPGS?
- Do you paint your miniatures? Or customize them in some way?
- Have you ever bought a game/some supplement more for its physical accessories than the gameplay? Like for specific miniatures, or pretty dice, or something of that kind?
- Do you like listening to music while doing something else?
- Have you ever had a character who had the same hobby as yourself in real life? :D
Jan 16, 2022 8:21 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
- Have you played any musical video games? Rhythm games, music-based level generation, musical storytelling, etc? Or maybe music-themed TTRPGS?
- Do you paint your miniatures? Or customize them in some way?
- Have you ever bought a game/some supplement more for its physical accessories than the gameplay? Like for specific miniatures, or pretty dice, or something of that kind?
- Do you like listening to music while doing something else?
- Have you ever had a character who had the same hobby as yourself in real life? :D
I tried my hand at Guitar Hero, but tht's about it. The game was fun, but I don't think music games are for me.

When I had more time to myself, I did customize and paint my miniatures. My avatar is one example of a painted miniature, and I have a few boxes of kit-bashed cobbled-up custom minis.

My foray into Warhammer 40K was basically borne from the interesting miniature designs. I remember walking out of a hobby store with a styrofoam box of miniatures because I thought they looked cool, and I didn't even know they were for a wargame.

Listening to music is probably the second thing I do every day besides breathing. Whenever I need to maintain some kind of personal focus (ie work, driving), I have a library of songs that generate the mental energy to keep me going. I've made playlists of music that I feel capture the essence of my D&D characters. Sometimes I just want to decompress and meditate, and I'll have something appropriate in the background.

I've not really created any character that had the same hobbies as myself. I don't know if it's because I don't think of my hobbies as special enough to put into a character, or if I just feel like my interests won't translate well into roleplay.
Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am
My first RPG books were AD&D 2nd edition books - I was...eight at the time? and had no idea what they were about, but I really liked the art and the flavor text. Similarly I can understand the miniature thing - they're just cool to look at!

Question - have you taken up any 3d printing, to make your own minis at all?
Last edited January 18, 2022 9:57 am
Jan 18, 2022 7:39 pm
C1NDER says:
Question - have you taken up any 3d printing, to make your own minis at all?
I have not. I could not justify the cost of purchasing a 3D printer nor its supplies for something I now lack the time to enjoy. I basically haven't touched any miniatures for the past 6 or 7 years.
Jan 19, 2022 2:02 pm
Quote:
Whenever I need to maintain some kind of personal focus (ie work, driving), I have a library of songs that generate the mental energy to keep me going. I've made playlists of music that I feel capture the essence of my D&D characters.
Oooh, same! Do you have any songs in that library that you can listen to on loop without getting bored (while doing something else)?
Did you ever get inspired by a song to make a character, or a world, or a plot element? :)

Do you like musicals? Any favorites if yes? :D Have you seen Encanto?
Jan 19, 2022 2:40 pm
You have several game-systems that you are familiar and comfortable with. What theme/setting could get you to jump into a brand new game system?
Jan 19, 2022 8:06 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Oooh, same! Do you have any songs in that library that you can listen to on loop without getting bored (while doing something else)?
Did you ever get inspired by a song to make a character, or a world, or a plot element? :)

Do you like musicals? Any favorites if yes? :D Have you seen Encanto?
I have many songs that I can listen to repeatedly as I'm focused on other things. Some artists in this group include BAND-MAID and The Birthday Massacre, and on occasion I've had Unleash the Archers and video game soundtracks like Skyrim or Battletech.

For me, inspiration is the other way around; I often find music to fit a particular character or world. One example is an Innistrad D&D game where I've used the soundtracks from the anime Le Portrait de Petite Cossette and video game Alice: Madness Returns to keep me in the mood.

I'm ambivalent about musicals. Maybe it's because I like to feel them as stories rather than music, much like how I watch movies or TV shows. Not to say I don't like musicals, and I can say that Sweeney Todd and The Nightmare Before Christmas are yearly plays.
Jan 19, 2022 8:06 pm
runekyndig says:
You have several game-systems that you are familiar and comfortable with. What theme/setting could get you to jump into a brand new game system?
It's less about the theme or setting and more about learning another ruleset. I'm sure Pathfinder can fit the high-fantasy setting that I like from D&D, but I lack the time to learn Pathfinder enough to become comfortable playing. There may come a time when my life opens up enough to fit another system in, so the book's not yet closed on gaming.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.