Chapter 5 - The Night Stalker

Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am
https://i.imgur.com/YEqQ38Y.png

GM
The night falls over Gulf Haven, and also over Alana's house.

She lies in bed thinking about their day. It started in the worst possible way, with Dad dragging her and Benny at the Sheriff's, embarrassing them awfully. She can still feel the severe gaze of the two policemen on her.

But then, spending time with the Hunters improved her mood. Sure, she was still a bit mad at Cody, but when the three of them are hunting stuff, there's no stopping them. She even got the thrill of standing out on a roof!

Then that horrible Jenkins woman showed up again - and even found her home number! The crazy hag!

Her musings are interrupted abruptly by Benny bursting into her room, frightened. He is whisper-shouting. Alana jolts, startled.

Ben, A's brother
"Ally! Ally! There's somebody outside my window!! " He runs to hug her, shaking in fright. She can feel his heart thumping fast in his chest.

[ +- ] ...

GM

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 10:16 am
https://i.imgur.com/NilWNDd.png

GM
Meanwhile at Cody's, he is watching his brother Jake sleeping in the bed next to his, trying hard to ignore his loud snoring. Judging by the smell of beer on his brother's clothes, Jake's out cold.

He turns the other way, towards the trailer wall, trying to get comfortable and catch some sleep.

A different sound startles him. Like a thump on the roof above him. He turns to look up instinctively.

After a pause, a shuffling sound is heard, clearly coming from above - as if someone was moving on the roof of the trailer! The shuffling seems to move intermittently, getting closer to the area above his bed.

There is a small skylight of semitransparent plastic on the roof, and Cody stares at it holding his breath.
[ +- ] ...

GM

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 10:17 am
https://i.imgur.com/1P222Hb.png

GM
Logan is in his bedroom listening to his walkman, with his headphones on, trying to get some respite from the thought of Davey's Mom phoning his Gram... He is listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller, enjoying the bass line and anticipating Vincent Price's awesome voice that should come in at any moment.

instead of the familiar verses of the great horror actor, the sound distorts changing speed irregularly.
He looks at the Walkman, wondering if it is the batteries. But he remembers changing them this week. How strange.
[ +- ] ...

GM

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 10:19 am
GM
OOC:
A Spirit check at -2 from all three, please. It is a Fright check, Alana's edge negates the -2 here
Jan 17, 2022 10:26 am
Al is briefly startled by the strange girl outside her brother's window but she puts on a brave face for him.

"You silly goose," she tells him, hoping to keep her voice stable. "That was just a big owl! See, it flew away now."
Last edited January 17, 2022 10:28 am

Rolls

Spirit - (1d8, 1d6, RA)

1d8 : (82) = 10

1d6 : (63) = 9

Persuasion - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (6662) = 20

1d6 : (665) = 17

Jan 17, 2022 10:28 am
OOC:
What about Logan's Brave edge?
Jan 17, 2022 10:29 am
OOC:
yes, sorry. Roll without penalty too
Jan 17, 2022 10:42 am
OOC:
No worries, I'd actually forgot that I had it..lol.

Rolls

Spirit - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (2) = 2

Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am
OOC:
I'll use a Benny to reroll...alas Logan is doomed to be scared...lol
Last edited January 17, 2022 10:48 am

Rolls

Spirit - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (1) = 1

Ben, A's brother

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 12:43 pm
Quote:
"You silly goose," she tells him, hoping to keep her voice stable. "That was just a big owl! See, it flew away now."
Ben, A's brother

Despite Alana's soothing words, Benny is positively spooked, and very agitated.

Benny looks at her, wide eyed, shaking his head "No it wasn't! It was a lady. She was... talking! She said... My baby... My baby... she was holding her hands up, like this!"
Benny extends both his arms, open hands held vertical as if about to pick up a child from under the arms.

"Who is she, Ally? I'm so scared..."

GM

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 12:52 pm
GM
Quote:
alas Logan is doomed to be scared
Logan bolts up from his bed and has to leave his room. The thought of hearing that voice again terrorizes him.
He wanders from room to room, edgy as hell, looking at every window, feeling watched...
OOC:
Logan is going to have a hell of a night. No sleep for him!
Can you pls roll 1d20, -2 for his Brave edge. There is a Fear result table in the MHC book, but I will adapt it to our story according to the roll.
Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm
"You were dreaming, you goose," Al says, ruffling Benny's hair. Her confidence is growing now which makes the lying easier. Still, she makes sure to remember every detail Benny tells her so she can tell the others about it later. "Come on, go back to bed or I'll wake mom and tell her you're not sleeping!"

GM

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 1:26 pm
GM
There is no way Benny will sleep alone tonight. He insists on sleeping in Alana's room, and she has to give in to the request.
Once both are tucked in bed together, Benny gradually begins to calm down. He eventually falls asleep, but it takes Alana a lot longer to do so.
OOC:
let's see how Cody rolls now
Jan 17, 2022 1:51 pm
Al grumbles and complains but seeing how upset Benny is, she known from the beginning that she'll let him sleep in her bed. But she'll also definitely tease him about it once he's not as scared anymore.
Jan 17, 2022 4:18 pm
Cody jumps up out of his bed staring at the skylight, ready to bolt from the room if it opens.

Rolls

Spirit, Wild Dice - (1d6-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d6-2 : (2) - 2 = 0

1d6-2 : (3) - 2 = 1

Jan 17, 2022 4:57 pm
OOC:
OK, I need 1d20-2 from Logan, and 1d20 from Cody please
Jan 17, 2022 7:07 pm
OOC:
Let's see how this roll goes...

Rolls

Fear table - (1d20, RA)

(16) = 16

GM

Dr_B

Jan 17, 2022 7:32 pm
GM
Logan is very shaken by the experience. Not only he has seen a figure at the attic window - now he's heard her voice! Is she going to visit him every night?? All of a sudden, dealing with this... thing makes him feel uncertain and vulnerable.
OOC:
The Brave edge grants -2 at this roll (less is better here), and turns it into a 16 14 . Logan gains the Hesitant hindrance when dealing with this mysterious figure.
He also cannot sleep AT ALL and will be Fatigued all the next day (-1 to all rolls, let's try to remember)
[ +- ] Hesitant Hindrance
Jan 17, 2022 7:35 pm
OOC:
Turns it into a 14, you mean?
Jan 17, 2022 7:37 pm
OOC:
yes, thanks - corrected above
load next

Thread locked