Dungeons & Dragons Talk

load previous
Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm
I completely agree! In fact, we've seen time and again, DnD translates really well into computer games. The first Neverwinter Nights was amazing, and even NWN2 was pretty good (they focused too much on visuals, not enough on gameplay, in my opinion). And if you haven't played Neverwinter Online, its def worth a shot. I don't find it great; the lack of variety is boring, but its exactly 4th converted into an MMO. And over all, it works, without being the same old MMO.
Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am
I envy you all who have years (or decades) of time playing D&D. I started tabletop gaming with Vampire the Masquerade around 2004, and wasn't part of a D&D game until around 2010 with 4e. Where a lot of gamers are burned out on the typical medieval fantasy of Dungeons & Dragons, I am excited when I get to play in or run a D&D game.
Nov 25, 2014 5:06 am
If you're interested in Pathfinder d20dad, big news coming tomorrow! Savage Mojo has decided to make Gamers' Plane the exclusive host to the International Demo Series for the Tome of the Lich Queen series for online play! I'm going to be making a big important post tomorrow, probably late afternoon, along with the game!
Nov 25, 2014 8:14 am
OOooooh we get a big exclusive demo? :D this is kinda awesome!!
Nov 25, 2014 2:29 pm
I have to say going off what d20dad said, I've gotten more burned out on Medieval Fantasy as time has gone on. Keleth/GP and I both got started on D&D 3e back in 2001, and sort of took off from there, playing Deadlands (wild western RPG), a Star Wars RPG game, and a few others but always staying pretty close to D&D. I think it was the advent of 4th edition that really kind of killed it for us, though Pathfinder has been great.

Part of that I guess is also because of a shift in the fantasy fiction I read. I've mostly left Medieval Fantasy behind at this point and moved onto Urban Fantasy, which is how I got into the Dresden Files series and got the idea to run DFRPG on this site, but I no longer have the real soft spot for Medieval Fantasy that I used to when I was exclusively reading Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms novels.

That being said, I don't think there's anything objectively wrong with the genre, and I think it's great that this site is going to be hosting Savage Mojo's new series.
Dec 6, 2014 2:03 am
I started playing D&D around 1990. I started with the Red Box that had come out most recently to that year.

Before long my fellow gamers and I got into 2nd Edition, and tried a little 1st Edition. Those were alright, but as I recall we didn't do much with them.

I bought quite a number of books, but wasn't playing with them enough to justify keeping them. I sold them all in about 1997 for credit at a game store. I bought a Star Wars RPG book (which I also didn't play much of but which had interesting books) and some cards.

In about 2002, I got into a brief play-by-post game that used the 3.5 rules. I like how things had been more codified and standardized and how a lot of the oddness and subsystems had been removed. Around the same time, I was also in a play-by-email game of Basic D&D with some old college friends.

I played 3.5 on and off for the next five or six years, with none of my games really getting off the ground. I was rapidly losing my respect for 3.5, because I was becoming more and more aware of the game's balance issues. It was a relief when 4th Edition came out and all the classes were balanced with one another. Every class could do cool things! Skill-based challenges finally had guidelines! Monsters didn't have to be made like players! I loved it, and I still do.

5th Edition just seems like a throwback. If it had come along, instead of 4th Edition, I might have appreciated it, but now it just seems like a throwback to 3.5.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.