Ask Me Anything: Harrigan

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 28, 2022 9:02 am
skeptical_stun says:
bowlofspinach says:

Non-RPG Interests: | Good Food, International Travel, Board Games, Computer Games, Dogs, Hiking, Music
Good food?? Now you're talking my language!

What's your favorite recipe to make for people when they visit? What about your favorite when cooking for yourself?

What's your guilty pleasure food, one that's either terrible junk food or is objectively bad/low quality but you love it anyway?
Ah, SS, you seem to have mistaken my liking to eat good food, vs. make it. :)

I'm a terrible cook, but I have my moments. I can grill a mean steak, whip up some pretty awesome salads, make delicious burgers and have honed my chili recipe over about 30+ years. I can also make sandwiches better than most sandwich shops (ahem), and stock the right breads, cheeses, meats and condiments for that purpose. Oh, and I do like making breakfast. Nothing crazy -- eggs, bacon, toast, fresh fruit salad.

(The foods I like the most are the ones I'm hopeless at making: Thai and Indian curries, Korean bibimbap. Nam Tok / Yum Nua beef salads, etc.)

When people visit, I usually order out. ;)

When cooking for myself, it's usually a sandwich I'm making... or something off the grill.

Guilty Pleasure: Hands down a donair, which is a bastardization of a Greek gyro really only available in Atlantic Canada. So bad for you. So freaking delicious. When I return to Halifax I invariably eat about three of them over the period of about a week. It ain't good.

I will also admit to digging In N Out, Freddys, Five Guys and other slightly higher grade fast food burgers. And fries. I love fries. Have I mentioned fish and chips? Because I love fish and chips too...
Jan 28, 2022 9:10 am
crazybirdman says:
Just gonna add some more frivolous questions to your list:
Favorite arcade game? Favorite breakfast cereal? Favorite Saturday morning cartoon? Least favorite genericized trademark?
Arcade Game: Star Wars (1983), honorable mentions to Bosconian, Tempest, and Galaga.

Cereal: I don't love cereal. I'll eat most non-sugary cereals, but I will admit to liking Crunchy Nut, which I discovered in New Zealand and have found in various places around the world at random times.

Trademark: "Coke" when people mean soda or pop? Maybe. Not too fussed about these, really.
Jan 28, 2022 9:12 am
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
not calling out a problem player soon enough.
It's okay. You can mention me by name
Sigh. Not you, bowl!

More later, maybe after the many con games I'm about to dive into this weekend...
Jan 28, 2022 12:01 pm
Harrigan says:
I have some favorite hikes in Nova Scotia (Cape Split comes to mind)
Yeah Cape Split is a good one!
Jan 28, 2022 12:07 pm
Harrigan says:
Guilty Pleasure: Hands down a donair, which is a bastardization of a Greek gyro really only available in Atlantic Canada. So bad for you. So freaking delicious. When I return to Halifax I invariably eat about three of them over the period of about a week. It ain't good.
I should point out that döner is actually Turkish and gyros is just a rip-off different take of that recipe. I should know, I'm Greek :P

Also, this doubles as your reminder to provide puppy pics.
Jan 28, 2022 12:53 pm
Harrigan says:

More later, maybe after the many con games I'm about to dive into this weekend...
Well then I'll ask the follow-up question, what con are attending and what do you think makes a good game for a con?
Last edited January 28, 2022 12:53 pm
Jan 28, 2022 1:30 pm
DarK_RaideR says:
Harrigan says:
I should point out that döner is actually Turkish and gyros is just a rip-off different take of that recipe. I should know, I'm Greek :P

Also, this doubles as your reminder to provide puppy pics.
Oh, I didn't realize that donair is just an attempt to spell Döner in English. That's an extremely popular dish in central Europe as well. In my city there's a street with, I swear I'm not joking, 8 (!) Döner stores on a stretch of 200 meters, that's literally a 3 minute walk. And they've been there for a while too so they can't be doing too badly.
Jan 28, 2022 1:47 pm
NABO says:
In my city there's a street with, I swear I'm not joking, 8 (!) Döner stores on a stretch of 200 meters, that's literally a 3 minute walk. And they've been there for a while too so they can't be doing too badly.
Sounds like a döner debonair kind of place...

I'll show myself out
Jan 28, 2022 2:13 pm
Let's talk gateway drugs: what was the game(s) that got you into the hobby? Your first gaming memory.
Jan 28, 2022 2:16 pm
You keep mentioning this Black Hack. When are you running a game and where do I sign up?
Jan 28, 2022 4:08 pm
Here's Al. Holiday themed!

https://i.imgur.com/n1UbCR6.jpg
Jan 28, 2022 4:14 pm
And Trudy...

https://i.imgur.com/pjwcvce.jpg
Jan 28, 2022 4:15 pm
And here's the big guy recovering from his surgery with my wife. They are... "close."

https://i.imgur.com/vDUCedF.jpg
Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm
Harrigan says:
Music -- I should ask Windy to answer this, as we've been trading music a lot.
That's funny. When I saw the music question I said to myself, I can answer that one!
Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Extra few to the pile, whoop-whoop!
- Do you like hiking for the process or the result, or both? How about travelling?
- Do you have a favorite video/board game about dogs, or including dogs? (Do you know that there are Zelda: BoTW speedruns to pet all of the in-game dogs? XD)
- Dog sledding! Did you ever do it? Or maybe watched it? I can't help but associate Canada with it.
- I don't know any of the TTRPG systems you like, so if you had to offer a short sales pitch for one of them, which would it be for? :D
Hiking: I like that style of exercise -- more about endurance and such, and quite enjoy trails that are difficult without getting into full-on rock climbing and such. Mostly though, I like the wilderness, seeing new places, coming across things that surprise you on the trail.

Travel: Really enjoy different peoples, cultures, foods, ways of living. Though I will admit more as an observer than a participant, in some cases. It's the anthropologist in me. =]

Favorite Dog Game: I don't have one, no. Prefer the real animals over their digital or imaginary counterparts.

Dog Sledding Nope! I've spent quite a bit of time in the north (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Yellowknife), but have never been or seen dogsledding. That's a whoooole different thing.

RPG Pitch: Well, different games are good at different things, so it depends on the group, what everyone wants out of it, etc. I'm polygamerous in the extreme, but I'll pitch a current favorite, Rangers of the Midden Vale. It's an OSR-adjacent game based on Ben Milton's Knave, so it has boiled-down d20 mechanics that should be familiar or at least easy to pick up for a lot of gamers. It's about PCs who are heroes in a dark and wild land that needs them to light the darkness. It's about exploration, about keeping lurking horrors at bay, about uncovering the secrets of the past, and about the bonds forged between the rangers tasks with all this. The mechanics are lean but modern -- resource and gear management is important, but handled by slick procedures such as usage dice from The Black Hack and generic "gear" in your pack that can turn into whatever it needs to be at the time, a la Dungeon World. Then it borrows from Fighting Fantasy to make combat faster, more furious, and way less whiffy than most d20 games. All rolls are contested in melee, meaning if you fail, you take damage back in the moment. Really increases the tension of each roll. GM-wise, the game is a breeze as there's a framework to follow for the adventures, and the book is loaded with random tables that allow for a low-prep, seat-of-the-pants style that I enjoy.

So yeah. It's a cool game and everyone should get and play it! ;)
Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm
DarK_RaideR says:
True, but the Halifax-invented donair is tied directly to the (large) Greek population in the city. Check this out for deets.
Jan 28, 2022 4:51 pm
Verrain says:
Well then I'll ask the follow-up question, what con are attending and what do you think makes a good game for a con?
BSer Con. Basically the Gaming & BS podcast's first shot at running a small virtual con. Probably fifty games or so running over the weekend, but there are about 35 different systems represented. Very cool community I count myself lucky to be part of. Highly recommend the podcast, their Discord, and hopefully, after this weekend, the con. :)

Running Rangers of the Midden Vale, playing in SWADE's Fuhgeddaboudit, Agon, The Mecha Hack, DCC, and Freebooters on the Frontier.
Jan 28, 2022 5:00 pm
And finally, Dr. B and Jabes...

Gateway Drug / Memory: The game that got me into the hobby was AD&D, in the fall of 1983. I played Fonkin Hoddypeak, one of the famed pregen characters in G1-2-3, Against the Giants. I don't remember a ton of the specifics other than having my mind blown that this thing was a game and I could play and run it with no board, no fancy table top pieces, etc. And that the GM was killer and adversarial and troubled... so after about two sessions I asked for the DMG, PHB and MM for Christmas, got them, then became a forever GM for quite a few decades. Taught myself by reading and internalizing High Gygaxian, so that may explain a few things.

I'm better now. Many games, healthy balance of play on both sides of the screen.

The Black Hack: I deeply love this game (own two physical copies, etc.), but I'll admit most of my interest these days is in some of its more recent derivatives. I can run a bog-standard TBH game on GP, if there's interest.
Jan 28, 2022 5:24 pm
Harrigan says:
The Black Hack: I deeply love this game (own two physical copies, etc.), but I'll admit most of my interest these days is in some of its more recent derivatives. I can run a bog-standard TBH game on GP, if there's interest.
You know there is.
Jan 28, 2022 7:01 pm
Harrigan says:
OSR Games
... they are ... representative of the way I wish I'd played way back way. They are an idealized version of it...
Daaaaang, I feel like you just said the quiet part out loud! :P (Good on ya for it.)

I've always felt like there's not much about OSR that's actually OS... just pastiche.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.