Ask Me Anything: Harrigan

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 28, 2022 7:14 pm
Aww, your dogs are adorable! I love Trudy' pose in the photo, with how she crosses her front paws? I don't interact with dogs much, but I really want to pet them now. :D

KCC

Jan 28, 2022 11:41 pm
Which RPGs are the firsts to go in your next big clean out? Why?

And which RPGs make it into the "I can only take a few of you with me" bag? Why?
Jan 29, 2022 1:59 am
Harrigan says:

Guilty Pleasure: Hands down a donair, which is a bastardization of a Greek gyro really only available in Atlantic Canada. So bad for you. So freaking delicious. When I return to Halifax I invariably eat about three of them over the period of about a week. It ain't good.
You'll be happy to know that donairs are very common across all of Canada now. Even my small Alberta town has a wicked donair shop. So you don't have to go all alway to the motherland for those beautiful wraps.
Jan 29, 2022 2:34 am
Harrigan says:
Guilty Pleasure: Hands down a donair, which is a bastardization of a Greek gyro really only available in Atlantic Canada. So bad for you. So freaking delicious. When I return to Halifax I invariably eat about three of them over the period of about a week. It ain't good.
Are you serious!?! There's no Donair down south? That sucks.

We've got a place near us that makes a regular and jumbo sized. I'm not sure what animal eats the jumbo. The regular is easily a pound of heaven. We usually get three. One for me, one for my son and one to split between my daughter and wife. Donairs are amazing.
Last edited January 29, 2022 2:34 am
Jan 29, 2022 2:36 am
Qralloq says:
Even my small Alberta town has a wicked donair shop. So you don't have to go all alway to the motherland for those beautiful wraps.
Howdie neighbour! Edmonton.
Jan 31, 2022 6:01 am
KCC says:
Which RPGs are the firsts to go in your next big clean out? Why?

And which RPGs make it into the "I can only take a few of you with me" bag? Why?
Sorry for the delay here, had a con this weekend and it ate every inch of my free time!

I recently got rid of about two boxes of stuff, so the really obvious stuff is already gone. But if I had to consolidate... Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of, Traveller, Cortex Prime, Punk Apocalyptic, Elite Dangerous RPG... probably a bunch of smaller, sub-par OSR stuff.

If I can only take a few with me, it's The Black Hack for all things classic D&D and a ruleset that can power a zillion offshoots, it's Fate Core or perhaps Fate Accelerated because you can do virtually any genre with Fate, it's Vaesen as the most refined and slick version of the YZE rules that I love, it's Morg Borg BECAUSE IT'S MORK BORG, it's Barbarians of Lemuria because it's just so badass and underrated. Delta Green for having the greatest conceit ever for bringing the players together as a team. Offworlders for being my favorite incarnation of PbtA.

I hate that you're making me pick and leave off Savage Worlds, ICRPG, SotDL, DCC, Into the Odd, Forbidden Lands...
Jan 31, 2022 6:04 am
@Donairlovers: I'll believe it when I see it. I know there are shops... but are they like the originals? I know the ones in Vancouver are not. (I think donairs first got exported to Toronto and Vancouver first by Haligonians who moved there.) The west coast also had "chicken donairs" on the menu and allowed a whole bunch of awful toppings. FOUL, I say!
Last edited January 31, 2022 6:04 am
Jan 31, 2022 6:20 am
@Harrigan: What's your favourite thing about Spycraft 2.0?
Jan 31, 2022 6:42 am
Favorite thing? The fact that I sold it a few months ago. =]

Second favorite thing? I will never forgive you for it. My buying that on your recommendation is worth at least one round on you when we meet in person.
Jan 31, 2022 7:26 am
Harrigan says:
@Donairlovers: I'll believe it when I see it. I know there are shops... but are they like the originals? I know the ones in Vancouver are not. (I think donairs first got exported to Toronto and Vancouver first by Haligonians who moved there.) The west coast also had "chicken donairs" on the menu and allowed a whole bunch of awful toppings. FOUL, I say!
Well, but is "original" very important? If Atlantic Canadian donairs are a mutation of Greek gyros, which are a mutation of Turkish donërs... how do you know the dish has reached its ultimate form?

You can find Turkish donër shops all over Europe, and they range from amazing to truly awful...
Last edited January 31, 2022 7:27 am
Feb 1, 2022 6:03 am
I mean the original Halifax mutation. :)

Of course, objectively, they are no better or worse than the food they evolved from, or that they have now evolved into. But I know what I like. ;)
Feb 1, 2022 10:06 am
Favorite character you've ever played?
Favorite RPG moment?
If you could create a new edition of any RPG, which one would it be?
Feb 1, 2022 10:35 am
If you were banned from owning dogs, would you get a different pet? What would it be?
Feb 2, 2022 6:37 am
nezzeraj says:
Favorite character you've ever played?
Favorite RPG moment?
If you could create a new edition of any RPG, which one would it be?
Favorite Character: Oh man. There are so many. It's got to be on of several characters who just "write themselves," characters who just instantly have their own voice. Toss up between Astounding Man, the first Hero / Champions superhero I ever created, Knockout, who was the clueless but unsinkable daughter of a super-strong villainess and a mad scientist gadgeteer villain, or perhaps Pete Winkmeyer, the teenaged boy with a Norse goddess trapped inside him.
https://i.imgur.com/cWBUXia.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/q5lhVEB.png

Favorite Moment: even harder. But probably the finale of the Iron Edda Accelerated game I ran a couple of years ago. It was a huge battle at a mountain pass with thousands of combatants on each side. All three PCs died in amazing and dramatic ways we didn't see coming, all while saving the world by preventing the beginning of Ragnarok.

New Edition: I'm going to cheat here and list a few. From the 90s - Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Underground. Also Forbidden Lands just because it could stand some reorganization for use at the table. And finally I'd love to see a Black Hack-powered version of Operation White Box.
Last edited February 3, 2022 5:36 am
Feb 2, 2022 6:39 am
bowlofspinach says:
If you were banned from owning dogs, would you get a different pet? What would it be?
A wolf or coyote. =]

Seriously, I'm more attached to dogs than a lot of other animals because of the relationship they have with humans. Cats are okay -- grew up with cats. Finale answer: a cat that thinks its a dog.
Feb 2, 2022 2:41 pm
so, a fox?
Harrigan says:
a cat that thinks its a dog.
So, a fox?
Feb 3, 2022 5:37 am
Foxes schmoxes. Gimme a canine!
Jun 9, 2022 12:06 am
Windyridge says:
Harrigan says:
The Black Hack: I deeply love this game (own two physical copies, etc.), but I'll admit most of my interest these days is in some of its more recent derivatives. I can run a bog-standard TBH game on GP, if there's interest.
You know there is.
Indeed there is!
Jun 10, 2022 5:03 am
tibbius says:
Windyridge says:
Harrigan says:
The Black Hack: I deeply love this game (own two physical copies, etc.), but I'll admit most of my interest these days is in some of its more recent derivatives. I can run a bog-standard TBH game on GP, if there's interest.
You know there is.
Indeed there is!
Now to find the time! What interests you about The Black Hack?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.