Do you ever analyze your character list?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 2, 2022 3:10 am
This seems like fun. I don't have a ton of characters, so it may seem quite sparse. It's surprisingly hard to categorize characters.
[ +- ] Here be a graph.
Last edited February 2, 2022 3:12 am
Feb 2, 2022 8:33 am
saevikas says:
This seems like fun. I don't have a ton of characters, so it may seem quite sparse. It's surprisingly hard to categorize characters.
[ +- ] Here be a graph.
is there a relationship between morals and the amount of words used?😂😂
Feb 2, 2022 8:41 am
There does seem to be a vague relation there 🤔

We need more people to post character analyses so we can do a study on this
Feb 2, 2022 8:58 am
bowlofspinach says:
We need more people to post character analyses so we can do a study on this
GP character stereotypes analysis: Do good guys ever shut up?
Feb 2, 2022 9:54 am
[ +- ] My characters
Feb 3, 2022 7:34 am
saevikas says:
[ +- ] Here be a graph.
Hey, I spy a character I know! Go Kamph, make bad life decisions, Firafnir will support you from the opposite quadrant. :D
Also, I love your character names. Especially Taizo - makes me want to know about them for some reason? Many words and not very moral, what's not to love.
(PS: the "casually moral" category is a great way to put it. XD)
Adam says:
[ +- ] My characters
I respect Kevin for escaping the chart. And everyone else for making a straight line with him! :0
CESN says:
GP character stereotypes analysis: Do good guys ever shut up?
On behalf of all the villain characters who adore monologuing: how dare you imply that the good guys are more talkative?!
Last edited February 3, 2022 7:35 am
Feb 3, 2022 8:06 am
Love this exercise, though it hurts my head to think about doing it for all the PCs I've created over the years. Here's my GP stable... some were hard to pin down and I expect others could do a better job.
[ +- ] Harrigan's PC Plot
Feb 3, 2022 9:10 am
FlyingSucculent says:
On behalf of all the villain characters who adore monologuing: how dare you imply that the good guys are more talkative?!
Don't shoot the messenger! shoot the data (and, since it's a villain, the players as well just for fun :D )
Feb 3, 2022 9:15 pm
Harrigan says:
Love this exercise, though it hurts my head to think about doing it for all the PCs I've created over the years. Here's my GP stable... some were hard to pin down and I expect others could do a better job.
[ +- ] Harrigan's PC Plot
Wow, you have a lot of outgoing characters (with very fancy surnames). Also, high five from my Lark to yours! :D

Curious that the combination of quiet and clueless seems to be the rarest among all of us. Now I wonder how a game full of this type of characters would look...
CESN says:
[Don't shoot the messenger! shoot the data (and, since it's a villain, the players as well just for fun :D )
Villains have lesser numbers, it's not a fair comparison. :P And you don't take all data into account!
My villains are 0/3 quiet/talkative, Bowl has 1/1, saevikas 3/2, Harrigan 1/2, KoldikSteelskin 2/3 (I think, unless yellow is neutral and then it's 1/0). It's a total of 7/11 (or 6/8). Talkative villains are more plentiful than quiet ones! :P
Last edited February 3, 2022 9:15 pm
Feb 4, 2022 6:46 am
FlyingSucculent says:
Wow, you have a lot of outgoing characters (with very fancy surnames). Also, high five from my Lark to yours! :D
✋!

Also, at least one of those fancy surnames is from a pregen, so that doesn't count. ;)
Feb 4, 2022 12:39 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
CESN says:
[Don't shoot the messenger! shoot the data (and, since it's a villain, the players as well just for fun :D )
Villains have lesser numbers, it's not a fair comparison. :P And you don't take all data into account!
My villains are 0/3 quiet/talkative, Bowl has 1/1, saevikas 3/2, Harrigan 1/2, KoldikSteelskin 2/3 (I think, unless yellow is neutral and then it's 1/0). It's a total of 7/11 (or 6/8). Talkative villains are more plentiful than quiet ones! :P
I redid my good and evil chart to hopefully make it more clear, 2/3 is correct though I'm not sure they we're the same 2/3 you had marked originally 🤣 I also changed some of them a bit to better match what was coming out.
Feb 4, 2022 2:30 pm
I tend to play raven-people, paladins, and people who worship the Raven Queen when possible. And sometimes all of these! This should surprise no one.

Other than that I have no pattern.

Len

Feb 4, 2022 7:35 pm
https://i.imgur.com/i48uFOU.png

This was an interesting exercise. As it turns out I don't tend to play laconic characters that are struggling with life; I guess I express their chaos through words and non-stop talking :D
Feb 4, 2022 9:12 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
I redid my good and evil chart to hopefully make it more clear, 2/3 is correct though I'm not sure they we're the same 2/3 you had marked originally 🤣 I also changed some of them a bit to better match what was coming out.
Still the same result, haha. Also you have a lot of evil, my respect! (And a lot of them are magically-aligned; the best type! :D)
Falconloft says:
I tend to play raven-people, paladins, and people who worship the Raven Queen when possible. And sometimes all of these! This should surprise no one.
...but did you ever play a falcon?..
How do paladins of Raven Queen work? I'm curious about what kind of character that would be.
Len says:
This was an interesting exercise. As it turns out I don't tend to play laconic characters that are struggling with life; I guess I express their chaos through words and non-stop talking :D
It seems no one does! We should all get together and make a band of 'em as a writing exercise. :P
...also that's a lot of Seraphina Hollysharp, whole three of her. And two Leothorn Hollysharp? Are they the same person in different versions? Because that's very interesting, I love characters having alternate versions of themselves!
And lots of walking disaster rangers? Love to see it. XD
Last edited February 4, 2022 9:13 pm
Feb 5, 2022 1:48 am
FlyingSucculent says:
KoldikSteelskin says:
Still the same result, haha. Also you have a lot of evil, my respect! (And a lot of them are magically-aligned; the best type! :D)
Hey I've got more good in me than evil... And yellow is neutral now.
And yes I need magic in my real life... If you have any ways to give it to me.
Last edited February 5, 2022 1:50 am
Feb 5, 2022 9:09 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
Hey I've got more good in me than evil... And yellow is neutral now.
And yes I need magic in my real life... If you have any ways to give it to me.
Neutral is evil when looked at from the right angle! >:P
And don't we all need magic... Maybe someday...

Len

Feb 5, 2022 10:44 pm
Quote:
...also that's a lot of Seraphina Hollysharp, whole three of her. And two Leothorn Hollysharp? Are they the same person in different versions? Because that's very interesting, I love characters having alternate versions of themselves!
And lots of walking disaster rangers? Love to see it. XD
Haha, indeed!

I have played 3 different Seraphina Hollysharps and 5 different Leothorn Hollysharps (but they were only two distinct types so I only put his name in the graph). They are the same character but from alternate universes. They are each different in terms of classes, but they are all either Gnomes or Halflings. The Seraphinas are all confident, scrappy women who specialize in "practical justice," often bounty hunters or mercenaries. The Leothorns are all mischievous tricksters who are booklovers but untested in the field, and their curiosity will be the death of them.

They have a larger plotline that I never explore in game but I have thought about. They are estranged brother and sister who don't know the other exists, but if a world has a Leothorn then somewhere there is a Seraphina.

I keep playing these characters because I really liked them, but the games they were in fell apart. So, when I miss that character, I might join a game and make a new Leothorn who has the same personality but who's life played out differently depending on the game setting. The Leothorn from Eberron was an artificer and interested in gadgets, but the one from the Sword Coast was a Cleric/Rogue and interested in unlocking divine secrets.

Also, I find these characters fit well into other peoples' stories. They are proactive so they can keep a game moving, and they are either friendly and funny (Leothorn) or fiercely protective of their found family (Seraphina) so they build good bonds with other characters.

As long as they stay alive in my imagination and people like playing alongside them, I'll keep exploring these characters.
Feb 5, 2022 11:06 pm
Len says:
They have a larger plotline that I never explore in game but I have thought about. They are estranged brother and sister who don't know the other exists, but if a world has a Leothorn then somewhere there is a Seraphina.
That is incredibly cool, even if it doesn't come up in actual games. :0 I absolutely love alternate universe concepts in general, so this is right up my alley - please tell me more! Did you ever explore the idea of them meeting (not in game, outside of it)? Or even them from different realities meeting?

Frost Opal and Wilhelm on my own chart are also the same character with different fates, and so are Klaus and Klarence - though these two I later made brothers instead. But a duo is a whole different idea; it's like platonic soulmates: no one without the other in whatever world they are... Very interesting.
Len says:
I keep playing these characters because I really liked them, but the games they were in fell apart. So, when I miss that character, I might join a game and make a new Leothorn who has the same personality but who's life played out differently depending on the game setting. The Leothorn from Eberron was an artificer and interested in gadgets, but the one from the Sword Coast was a Cleric/Rogue and interested in unlocking divine secrets.
Ouch, this is very relatable, I can never properly let go of my characters too... Though your approach is probably better, I simply stick them all into one solo game and deal with the consequences, or write self-fanfiction. Maybe I should steal your method instead, hehehe. :P
Len says:
As long as they stay alive in my imagination and people like playing alongside them, I'll keep exploring these characters.
...And now I wish I was in a game with one of them. You successfully intrigued me further.
Last edited February 5, 2022 11:07 pm
Feb 5, 2022 11:07 pm
Quote:
Frost Opal and Wilhelm on my own chart are also the same character with different fates
😮
Feb 5, 2022 11:11 pm
bowlofspinach says:
😮
I told you I had Opal 2.0. :P This one is an evil gemstone turned very confused human, trying to figure out this whole morals thing and pretend that he knows how to human. (He fails at pretending.)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.