It's me sunny

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 29, 2022 1:59 am
Harrigan says:
... some OSR blood in its veins. It's Harper's old-school and minimalist take on Dungeon World, right? ...
Definitions vary, of course, and World of Dungeons (WoDu) emulates and reimagines 'old-school', and is minimalist. But many who look for 'OSR' want that 'true DnD experience' and, being how this follow Dungeon World (DW), this does not feel like DnD (though many say DW feels like what they thought DnD would be).

I know people who run OSR modules in WoDu, but that requires some work since it is not 'drop-in compatible'.
Jan 29, 2022 3:51 am
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Adam says:

I see from your profile that you've played the tutorial and you're looking for an OSR game. Maybe take a look at vagueGM's Fresh Faced Adventurers (World of Dungeons)?
Nice, I'd like to check it out. I've heard good things about World of Dungeons. The only PbtA game I've really played was Ironsworn, but that was a purely solo experience.
Dr_B says:
(PS: I see you have listed Shadowrun in your games of choice, ping me if you ever decide to run it! I'd love to try it)
Thanks but I probably won't be running it anytime soon lol. Shadowrun 5e really spoiled me with it's in-depth character creation (which I felt was the more robust aspect of the game), it made d&d feel shallow in comparison, I felt a sort of culture shock. But I've learned to love d&d in it's own way, and it's definitely a lot more easy to run than Shadowrun.
vagueGM says:
Definitions vary, of course, and World of Dungeons (WoDu) emulates and reimagines 'old-school', and is minimalist. But many who look for 'OSR' want that 'true DnD experience' and, being how this follow Dungeon World (DW), this does not feel like DnD (though many say DW feels like what they thought DnD would be).
For how minimalist OSR games are, the discussion of it and what constitutes an OSR game can be pretty complex lol. I never properly played one, but the philosophy behind it seems very appealing. I'd love to try out a B/X game sometime.
emsquared says:
Man... I so badly wanted Rolegate to be good.
Me too, I love the idea behind it and I hope it gets better in the future. PBP focused apps seem to have great potential, but I haven't found one that was better than easily accessible good old fashioned forum posts. I tried starting a Discord PBP campaign, but the 7 people that joined from r/pbp flaked out in just a few days of joining lmao. I'll wait until I have some experience as a PBP player before I try that again.
Jan 29, 2022 4:15 am
sunnyVoid says:
... I'd like to check it out. I've heard good things about World of Dungeons. ...
Jump on in. We are (probably) soon to descend into the bowels of a long-dead, corrupted temple, and joining the party before that would be easier to explain. But no pressure, it is a drop-in, drop-out game so we have to cater for players --and their characters-- arriving and vanishing at odd times.

Do you know how to Request to Join, or should I Invite you?
sunnyVoid says:
... only PbtA game I've really played was Ironsworn ...
Ironsworn is awesome, but rather different to most PbtA. And that is more than just the solo focus.
sunnyVoid says:
... but that was a purely solo experience ...
Ironsworn can play really well in traditional GM-lead style, and can be awesome co-op with the right players.
sunnyVoid says:
... For how minimalist OSR games are ...
I am not sure I even agree with talking about minimal and OSR together, most of the OSR games I have looked at are pretty heavy, or at least long.
sunnyVoid says:
... the philosophy behind it seems very appealing ...
Maybe it is just the rabid fanboys that put me off, but I don't like what I see about the OSR philosophy.
sunnyVoid says:
emsquared says:
Man... I so badly wanted Rolegate to be good.
Me too, ...
Me three?
sunnyVoid says:
... tried starting a Discord PBP campaign ... people that joined ... flaked out ...
I have had success with Discord games, but only when run for people I already know. One of the main benefits we get from a site like this is the community. Random strangers on the internet do not make for reliable games.
Jan 29, 2022 2:39 pm
Hello and welcome!
Feb 6, 2022 2:48 am
Welcome sunnyVoid, I’m new here, too!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.