Ask Me Anything: FlyingSucculent

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 9, 2022 9:04 am
CESN says:
Quote:
5. There was no food question yet (I think), what is your favorite food? What meal you always wanted to try (both from real world and fictional one)?
is the answer is russian, what is your favourite non-russian food? Just to make it harder πŸ˜…
And if the answer is non-Russian, what's your favorite Russian food?
Feb 9, 2022 10:43 am
bowlofspinach says:
CESN says:
Quote:
5. There was no food question yet (I think), what is your favorite food? What meal you always wanted to try (both from real world and fictional one)?
is the answer is russian, what is your favourite non-russian food? Just to make it harder πŸ˜…
if it is fictional, what would be the real one? if it is real what would... yeah, you got the idea πŸ˜…

though... I cannot not ask now if there is an answer, what would be the non-answer? 🀣
Feb 9, 2022 9:47 pm
MagnificentFly says:
My favorite food - and to be honest, pretty much everything I ever eat aside from instant meals - is spaghetti with cheese and ketchup. I'll take it over almost anything else, and will gladly try anything adjancent as long as there is no meat/fish/eggs (not exactly vegetarian, just don't like them). I do also like crunchy chocolate things like cookies or cereal, and appreciate fruit ice cream and candy. Oh, and I love brown sugar sticks.

I'm not really a food connoisseur, I'm happy with my spaghetti, so I'm not sure about the second question for real foods. Guess maybe various Italian pasta? Maybe candy from different countries, these are often fun to try.
And for fictional ones... Ambrosia from Hades the video game; not the original Greek mythos one, since that one has side-effects. But in Hades it's supposed to taste like the best thing ever for each specific person, so of course I want to try it. Plus it's often compared to honey and nectar, and I like both of those (...I did eat flowers as a kid, yeah).
CESN says:
bowlofspinach says:
I can never tell which food belongs to which country originally, though spaghetti is probably not Russian. XD I'll answer the reverse version instead and tell you my favorite Russian food: that would be blini. (I refuse to call them pancakes because they're too thin for something I'd associate with a pancake.)
I also like rice porridge! It's not exactly inherently Russian, but I don't think it's quite as popular in other countries.
CESN says:
though... I cannot not ask now if there is an answer, what would be the non-answer? 🀣
...not having a favorite? XD
Last edited February 9, 2022 9:48 pm
Feb 10, 2022 4:37 pm
What's something people often get wrong about your country and culture?
What's your favorite name for a baby animal, and you favorite collective noun for a group of animals?
Which actor plays your favorite version of Santa Claus?
Feb 10, 2022 7:56 pm
crazybirdman says:
What's something people often get wrong about your country and culture?
Snow being absolutely everywhere in large quantities. Outside cities it might be true, but when people expects to see giant snow piles on the streets of Moscow they're in for a surprise. It's almost always too much traffic and people here for the snow to stay long before becoming a muddy, watery mix of dirt. The only snow piles around here are usually in parks, and even those are not as impressive as they could be somewhere in the northern regions.
I remember reading a story which described Yaroslavskiy Railway Station with characters in it walking almost knee-deep in snow. I used to travel to this station every day for the university, and reading this was incredibly amusing - it rarely has even a centimeter of snow, since it gets demolished by people almost instantly in the morning.
crazybirdman says:
What's your favorite name for a baby animal, and you favorite collective noun for a group of animals?
These are hard! For baby animal, I think it would be Russian name for a baby snake: Π·ΠΌΠ΅Ρ‘Π½Ρ‹Ρˆ. (I'm not even going to try and transliterate it, but you can see transcription on the Wiktionary). I like it for how it can be metaphorically used to describe young but already cunning and dangerous characters (although it is slightly rude, but in a way that can be used affectionately). It's great in literature, and so are Russian names for wolf pup and a baby squirrel! Pups, kits and snakelets just don't have the same ring in English.

For the group of animals, there's the opposite: Russian doesn't have creative group names, it's always herd/flock/school/pack. Although it did take English's pride for lions, which I thought was very cool the moment I learned what the word meant by itself. It leans to such great play on words... So honestly, any group name of the kind will probably amuse me greatly, but I don't know that many. XD
crazybirdman says:
Which actor plays your favorite version of Santa Claus?
It's been more than ten years since I last watched a Christmas movie (Klaus the cartoon aside). And I don't think I watched that many in general, since Russia celebrates New Year more than Christmas (and it's the wrong Christmas, ours is on a different date), plus I was more into cartoons as a kid and don't watch many movies nowadays. :D

May I instead tell you about a movie which kinda relates to a Russian New Year traditions? There is a movie called Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession which has nothing to do with the holidays, but it's always on the TV on 31st. Always. Everyone watches it hundreds of times. And it's a good movie, it's pretty funny and I absolutely recommend everyone to watch it once for the fantastic charismatic thief character alone - but every single New Year? Why?!
...but really, it's a great movie. I love Miloslavsky the thief from it, that character was just a great take on a rogue who put all of their attribute points into Charisma. XD
Last edited February 10, 2022 7:58 pm
Feb 10, 2022 10:13 pm
I'll definitely check it out. Is it a family friendly film?
Feb 11, 2022 5:02 pm
Yeah, I think most Soviet films are. I checked just in case, and according to IMDb its certificate is TV-G in USA (and 6+ in Russia). :D
Jun 12, 2022 5:37 am
FlyingSucculent says:
I wanted to run something with antropomorphic animals! You know I like my raccoon thieves. :D
As do I. Working on a modern-day Savage Worlds campaign in an anthro world right now. It's Earth, but with all kinds of animal species.
Jun 12, 2022 6:51 am
That sounds great! I'll certainly keep an eye out if you'll run it here on GP. :)
Last edited June 12, 2022 6:51 am
Jun 12, 2022 4:48 pm
Whispers Usagi Yojimbo before quietly fading back into the shadows...
Jun 12, 2022 6:32 pm
...that is one very impressive-looking rabbit!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.