Descending the Temple Depths

load previous
May 6, 2022 3:46 pm
- Albert -

The skeleton takes three lopsided steps backwards as ribs fly from its chest. The heads turn to the other and moves their jaws silently, they seem to egging each other on to approach and attack, but each wanting to hang back... or go for reinforcements... there is definitely an element of 'looking back down the open tunnels for help to arrive'.

During the breather offered you by their argument, you keep seeing flashes of light from around the closed door. This light has the same fortifying hue as Raynor's fire. You are fairly convinced that the answer to your prayer lies on the other side of the door... 'victory' with it.

What do you do?
May 6, 2022 3:46 pm
- Deoring and Roald, and the rest -

You have cleared enough of the moss that the door should open, but it does not budge. Since it opens towards you, you can not put a shoulder to it and force it, and the handle looks corroded and flimsy, so too much yanking on it may leave you stranded and needing to clear the second door instead.

What do you do?
May 9, 2022 11:15 am
"Guys, I can see Raynor's light coming through the cracks of the door. He's showing us that we're on the right track. I'll keep this thing away while you work on getting that door open." Albert tells the others.

He shifts his attention back to the skeleton that's recovering from the earlier hit, and readies himself for any incoming attack. If it comes closer, I'm going to sweep its legs out from under it.
May 9, 2022 11:22 am
- Albert -

Both heads to take a step back while cajoling the other to step forward and face your fire. This results in it only hopping backwards as it steps with both legs at once.

They might be trouble... if they ever get their act together and learn to coordinate.
May 9, 2022 2:41 pm
"Oh, yes, Albert, I can see a little light, now that you mention it. Let’s see if I can loosen the door a little by working my blade in the cracks to widen the gap."

Deoring steps forward and carefully jabs the tip of his sword between the door and the frame, trying to clear out any gunk with the blade while also bringing the glow of Raynor’s fire in direct contact with the door and doorframe.

"Raynor, light my way." he whispers as he works the blade all the way around the door.

Rolls

Unstick the door +WIS - (2d6+2)

(31) + 2 = 6

May 9, 2022 5:25 pm
While Deoring tries to loosen the door, Roald pulls on the handle. Gentle enough to not pull it off, at least he hopes.

Rolls

Pulling the handle +dex - (1d6+1, 2d10)

1d6+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

2d10 : (103) = 13

Pulling the handle +dex - (1d6+1, 2d10)

1d6+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

2d10 : (1010) = 20

May 9, 2022 7:10 pm
- Roald -

Careful as you are, the handle still disintegrates at the touch of your hand. You will need to find another way to gain purchase on the door if you want to pull it open.
May 10, 2022 11:47 am
''hmmm I guess it couldn't handle that.''
Let's try and pry it open Deoring.
He puts his sword in the crack between the 2 doors and is ready to use it as a lever when Deoring joins him.
''Be careful not to put too much strain on your blade, Deoring. I can make your sword razor sharp, but a bended piece of metal is something else!''
May 10, 2022 12:43 pm
- Deoring -

Your probing sword sparks off of something and there is a small explosion --smelling of mushrooms-- on the other side of the door. A small lick of flame lights up the crack as it burns off the blocking vegetation.

If your party can just get a grip on it, the door should pull open, it does not look that heavy.

There is an answering explosion from behind you, the torch-trap left at the mouth of the tunnel you entered from was set off by something, but it takes a few moments for the dust to clear so the flickering light of burning moss can show you a troupe of skeletons staggering though the remains of their detonated leader.

There is no time! You must make haste to get through this door and get it barred between yourselves and the horde!

What do you do?!
May 10, 2022 7:02 pm
Eyes-wide, looking back and forth between Albert fending off the skeletal monstrosity and Deoring and Roald fiddling with the door trying to get it open something clicks inside of Orset.

I... I can help.. this is kinda like a mine huh?

He just now notices the vice grip of his sweaty palms around his pickaxe and shakes his head briefly before calling out to the pair working on the door.

"Ay! careful those explosions can be dangerous. I'm.. um.. a miner. Let me look. I might know how to get through. Think I've seen a door like this before..."

Orset quickly makes his way to the door and starts to inspect around the frame and the moss around and in the lock.
Last edited May 10, 2022 7:05 pm
May 10, 2022 8:19 pm
After inspecting the door, Orset notices that all the debris has been cleared at this point and a good grip is needed. He attempts to pry the flat end of his pickaxe deep into the crevasse made by Deoring on the opposite side of the door as its hinges. After it is securely wedged in, he sets his jaw and attempts to lever it open as hard as he can.
Last edited May 10, 2022 8:23 pm
May 10, 2022 8:43 pm
As he notices his pickaxe gain purchase and start to pry the door open, Orset attempts to tone down his strength to do as little damage to the door as possible.

Rolls

Str - (2d6+1)

(43) + 1 = 8

May 10, 2022 8:47 pm
With minimal and reparable damage, the door pops open to the dark room beyond, just as the room behind you all starts to fill with undead bodies.
OOC:
Do you rush through --trusting the signs-- or take a more cautious approach?

What is your plan immediately on the other side? To look around for danger, or to deal with closing and barring the door on the horde amassing on the other side?

Everyone should answer.
May 10, 2022 9:28 pm
Albert has to duck when bits of stone, bones and moss come flying from the direction of the torch. "Looks like this guy's buddies showed up, friends. Is that door almost open?" He says in an urgent and worried voice.

Thankfully, Orset's pickaxe is just what they needed in this situation. With his back still turned to the others to keep an eye on the threats, Albert hears the sound of metal grinding on stone, and then he can feel a breeze as the door slowly opens up. "Praise be to Raynor! A way out! Head on in, I'll hold them off as long as I can." Even though they're still in a dangerous situation, he can't hepl but smile a little.

He waves his broom handle around in front of him to ward off attackers, and slowly starts to back up at the same time, making sure to give the others enough time to head into the new section of tunnels before him.
May 10, 2022 10:16 pm
Orset is first in the door and makes quick work to get in and to the other side of the door. He positions himself on the other side holding the door open, ready to close and bar it once everyone is through.

"Come on in, quickly!"

Only after this does he turn his head to get a quick look at the area within the door.
Last edited May 10, 2022 10:16 pm
May 10, 2022 11:43 pm
"Well done, Orset! Looks like you brought the right tool for the job!"

Deoring gives silent thanks to Raynor and follows Orset through the door, holding up his sword to give some light, looking around the area.
May 11, 2022 6:07 am
Roald doesn't hesitate and steps through the door as soon as it opens, turns around and waits for the others to pass.
May 11, 2022 6:54 am
When everyone is inside, Albert turns around and hurries to the door to join them. He helps Orset close the door again. Once it's barred he sits down with his back to the door and tries to calm down. It's been a stressful few minutes.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.